I want to learn how to program, is this a good starting book?

I want to learn how to program, is this a good starting book?

Attached: 517Hl1-kofL._SX381_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (383x499, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.python.org/3.7/tutorial/index.html
python-course.eu/python3_course.php
automatetheboringstuff.com
greenteapress.com/thinkpython2/thinkpython2.pdf
nostarch.com/pythoncrashcourse
courses.edx.org/courses/course-v1:MITx 6.00.1x 2T2017_2/course/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>code
>book

Attached: pPdNZ3c.jpg (818x503, 159K)

docs.python.org/3.7/tutorial/index.html

> hard way

No OP that's not a good book. You should start off with assembly and then C.

Save your money. Use this website, if you prefere the textbook way: python-course.eu/python3_course.php

Avoid "hard way" books.
automatetheboringstuff.com

Nah, that guy sucks at teaching. Read greenteapress.com/thinkpython2/thinkpython2.pdf

Thanks, I was going to start with codeacademy but from what I've heard it's shit.

What books/website do you recommend for that?

I second this book

Don't listen to this dude.

>automatetheboringstuff.com

Yes.

codeacademy use to be good 4-5 years ago. Wouldn't recommend them now.

nostarch also has this book which is really good:
nostarch.com/pythoncrashcourse

The projects in the second half are dated, but the first half is still very good and covers working with classes, something most beginner courses and books skip over.

Just follow through on literally anything.

no, that's easily the worst Python book ever. Zed Shaw is a fucking idiot
this one is good

I started with that book, but in python 2. Zed Shaw is pretty entertaining, and his style of teaching is pretty neat.

That being said, it's a decent start but I wasn't committed enough to push past 25% of the book.

It's good enough. Whatever you pick the most important part is actually finishing whatever you're reading instead of hopping from book to book because someone said one was better than the other.

It's meh.
Zeds a bit of a dick, doesn't go over unittesting very well, doesn't tell you how to install python packages you create properly, and the way the lessons are largely brainlet tier until the very end

Isn't this the guy who was horribly autistic about sticking to Python 2.7 until 3.6 added f-strings?

How retarded can you possibly be. There is 0 fucking reason to learn assembly. Go back to your fucking basement.

learn a real language munchy

>just dive into a project bro, google as you go along!

t. brainlet who is incapable of learning assembly

t. brainlet who is liviing in the past

Btw no one cares about your shitty DOS games

>DOS
sorry basedboy but i'm not on windows
also if you think assembly is for writing games, then i think i've found the problem.

also mimicking other people's insults is a sign of extremely low intelligence.

A sign of low intelligence is suggesting someone who wants to learn to code to start with fucking assembly.

Guess what retard. You’ll never be as good or as fast as a compiler.

I used this book for a month and then threw it in my fireplace. It was the worst thing I've ever used. Fucking retarded author.

Starting with assembly is essential for truly understanding how computers work. unironically kill yourself.

You can understand low-level computing without learning how to write assembly.

Starting with bytecode is truly essential for truly understanding how computers work
Starting with digital circuits is essential for truly understanding how computers work.
Starting with quantum electrical dynamics is essential for truly understanding how computers work.
unironically kill yourself.
[spoiler]btw just saying assembly as if it refers to any language outs you as a retard, just don't[/spoiler]

A quick course on assembly is fine because it gives some insights on what actually happens in the lower levels, but it's pointless for anything that isn't system related or required to be as efficient as possible.

Also study bible

nah just do the introduction to computer science class by MIT, it uses python. 6.00.1 is the name

>6.00.1
courses.edx.org/courses/course-v1:MITx 6.00.1x 2T2017_2/course/

It replaced SICP, structures and interpretations of computer programs in their curricular.

is there a more embarrassing way to out yourself as an offboarder than a post like this?

I agree but that idiot thinks mastering assembly coding is something other than a waste of time

3rd/4th-ing this.

I wouldn't say that. But the thought of a beginner really teaching himself assembly is laughable.

I learned python from writing web bots using requests..
That way, you
1. get to learn the requests lib quite well
2. learn to make loops and functions
3. parsing and anything else you might need for a bot

Not OP, but picked up.

>learn python the hard way chapter 1
>install gentoo
>now use python

>It replaced SICP, structures and interpretations of computer programs in their curricular.

This is so sad.

i have both learn python 3 the hard way and learn more python 3 the hard way. 1st one is pretty great if you're a complete beginner and the 2nd one is kind of redundant but it has ideas for some projects you could work on. i'm currently reading learn c the hard way. can't say how good or bad it is yet.