There are people on Jow Forums who feel existentially threatened by a cohesive and well-designed software development...

There are people on Jow Forums who feel existentially threatened by a cohesive and well-designed software development tool that isn't completely bogged down by archaic UNIX design philosophies from the 1970s.

If you don't use an IDE in 2018, you're basically a sperg who has never written useful software in his entire life.

Attached: visual studio code.png (2000x1281, 587K)

B-but how can I show everyone I'm smart if I don't use an abacus instead of a calculator???

Stop making fun of autistic spergs for using muh emacs/vim meme, they are people too.

Ironically the picture he posted is of Oni, which is literally vim.

Microsoft.

Attached: 1510644132551.jpg (720x494, 99K)

UNIX is outdated, yes
But you posted a step backwards to COBOL levels of retard
The modern editor is known as "acme"

What's the point of acme if you have a tiling WM? From what I've seen it just looks like notepad except it tries to be a window and file manager on top of that.

How the fuck can you edit configuration files and manage servers without vim? Also, IDEs are a crutch for people who aren't very good. Text editors and makefiles are sufficient.

Thats clearly VSC you dorkus

You have to weigh the usefulness of any piece of software against the retardedness of its design. VS Code is an electron app so it comes out negative.
IDEs go in and out of fashion every day, so getting proficient at using any particular one is not a good long term investment of your time. Vim keybindings are timeless, you can get a vim plugin for any major IDE.
Using an IDE as a beginner is a bad idea. It hides many of the complexities of software design in a black box, and adds many additional ones you wouldn't have if you just used a text editor and a compiler to write your 50-100 LoC exercise projects.

>a cohesive and well-designed software development tool
No, because VScode is not a cohesive or well designed software development tool.
The fact that it's based on electron is its first and most fundamental flaw and all the rest of it is just an endless pile of cherries on top.
In the final analysis there are no good development tools, but the bigger ones and especially the ones based on Electron are by far the worst of the bunch.

IDEs are great for cookie cutter projects. When you need to do something they have flakey/no support for they become an exercise in tearing your own hair out

>electron
you need to go back to and stop posting your faggot trash here

>he uses an IDE
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: cdb.jpg (499x499, 17K)

Meh, basically what this user says:
I've used VSCode for Godot development because it had a good plugin and C# support.

Otherwise nothing beats the flexibility of a good tmux-vim-zsh setup. Yes, it takes basically a whole year or more to get fully proficient with it. But once you do it's an amazing experience compared to the average IDE.

Spend 5 minutes coding a setup script, and now in 1 command you get a development setup that's superior to any IDE, tailored for your particular project and :your preferences. And it's still flexible, if suddenly I want to visualize another log stream or keep watch on a background job, it's 2 keystrokes, no need to muck around with random plugins.

>Why does VIM still run on a terminal emulator by default
>Why are there no working refactoring tools on vim for c++?
>Why does the quickmenu autocomp look like shit even on gvim
>Why is impossible
>Why dors YCM not allow me to just goto definition
>Why is very magic not enablable by default
>Why are macros so slow
>Why does gvim not have graphics or canvas support for drawing stats

I feel like I've fallen for a meme

VScode is good but jetbrains is better.

It's almost frustrating how stupid other editors are after you use jetbrains stuff, like how the fuck does it not know there's a method on a class, wtf are you doing vscode reeeeeeeeee

does it have multiple cursor suport?
its the only thing keeping me to sublime

IDE was replaced by SATA over ten years ago.

>If you don't use an IDE in 2018, you're basically a sperg who has never written useful software in his entire life.
Joke's on you, I have code in OpenBSD.

>If you don't use an IDE in 2018,
I use an IDE, bash+gcc+rgdb+vim with ctags.

>implying they're mutually exclusive

Nice strawman argument

Wait, what’s wrong with a text editor?

Employed vs unemployed

This. The only reason I'm still using it is because its fast on my 10 year old DinkPad. I don't even have YCM cause I'm too much of a brainlet to compile clang/llvm.

t. useless sperg

sublime is simply better

Who's who?

You clearly setup vscode wrong.

I really don't care about your preferences
I'm happy with Emacs and all the editor bickering in the world can't change that.

>I use an IDE, bash+gcc+rgdb+vim with ctags.
aka "Unix is my IDE". based and redpilled