Third and final year of uni

>third and final year of uni
>doing okay
>never want to touch coding or computers ever again
Anyone else know this feel? Is it too late to just go carry boxes in a warehouse? I'd rather die than work with computers for 40 years.

Attached: index.jpg (108x120, 3K)

warehouse jobs are a dead end job tho
even those guys are working toward something better in their free time

Just work with computers for 5-10 years, and then become a manager and never touch a computer again

I went through the same thing with law. I made enough money to drop out of professional life for a few decades. Not sure what I'll do when the money runs out though

God, even working in programming is too much for me.

>t. Brainlet

You don't make a career out of the thing that interests you the most, that's the easiest way to start hating it and yourself

I've been working as a programmer for around 12 years by now, enjoying it.

>even those guys are working toward something better in their free time
trust me, they aren't
>t. warehouse worker

I just can't stand it. I hate the deadlines. I hate the shitty culture that pushes memes like Agile. I hate the fact that I have to stay updated on all developments all the time. An electrician doesn't need to do that. I hate the song and dance of trying to get hired in a shitty company that'll fall apart in a few years.

I’m a warehouse worker and I’m trying to get an app finished for the App Store, and that’s just so I can have something to put on my portfolio so I can get a job where I don’t break my back and get shouted at by dumb people all day

I've been in a firm that is doing agile for about a year and a half. We have 30 minute meetings every day, which are definitely weird, but I came to accept them as an okay change of pace. I'm right now a part of about 1000 man large company with ties to government, so the fear of falling part is not a thing either. We are a somewhat small team, I'm lead for serverside (C++/fastcgi/nginx/postgres), and I've generally been very much ahead in development compared to client, so deadlines are not a thing for me either.

>uni
>Studying Maths
>Have Logics' courses
>Again Maths
>Tired of programming
what the hell man

OP is literally me.
Like actually man. Genuinely everything you said thus far applies. Though I have a particular unabomberlike tech hatred at this point .

My decision after graduation is not to compromise my principles or happiness . I'm going to get an okay part time job and live with other people splitting rent and trying to do something creative .

>C++
>Gov
>Server side development
fuck dude, you got an opening? fucking comfiest job ever

reported to fbi

Yes I know this feeling. I am a programmer. Programming is too mentally draining. It isn't natural. It completely fucks with your mental health having to sit down and write code all day.

I knew this from the beginning, but convinced myself I was supposed to do some intellectual job because I am smart. Turns out, that was a bad idea and I should have stuck to stacking boxes where I could dream while working and feel good and physically exhausted at the end of the day so I could go and have a good nights sleep.

I am skeptical to be honest. I have never met a programmer that likes their job other th

I get the feeling you are the person that spends like 30 minutes a day programming, or writing html or something and says they work as a programmer.

You will fuck up your body sitting all day and be much more micromanaged as a programmer. We have special software that tells you exactly what you have to do each day....

It would depend on how heavy the things you have to lift are at the warehouse. If you break your back lifting 0-20kg stuff, I think you need to go to the gym.

>I hate the fact that I have to stay updated on all developments all the time.
Yeah, it is fucking ridiculous. There are virtually no other jobs where you constantly have to relearn everything all the time. So many jobs you just learn some basic shit and apply it the same way for the rest of your life.

On days where there's a lot of work I spend the whole day programing, and go home extremely satisfied. On days where's not much work, I work from 30 minutes to 4 hours, spending the rest in my browser and generally those are the days I don't like too much.

WHAT HAPPENED user
WHO WERE YOU GOING TO MENTION

As a 38 year old programmer, I would like to tell you that this is the right idea. Do not listen to your parents or whatever who tell you to get the good career and all that. It is so very wrong. This life sucks and I am trying to find a way out as well.

That's the price of joining a very young profession. I enjoy learning, to an extent.

I am still just really skeptical. It is obvious to see the mental health of programmers. I have been in the industry for a while and I haven't seen any mentally healthy programmers, but you are claiming to love it.

It would be interesting to know if you have some kind of special mental ability to withstand the drain.

This "I enjoy learning" is something people are forced to say. It is propaganda that they hear and then repeat. The thing is, with programming, it is just a job believe it or not.

With other jobs, you get paid, and you don't have to relearn anything. With programming, you have to relearn things. The learning doesn't lead you to a higher spiritual place, it is just a requirement to keep getting paid. So even if you enjoy learning, there are a lot of things you could be learning if you didn't spend your time learning the latest front end framework that does the same things as the last framework only a bit better.

I can't see this being a downside to be honest
It's a free out from Alzheimers
Also if you don't want to do that just get into project management

That whole alzheimers and keeping your mind active thing turned out to be a myth.

Even if you "enjoy learning", do you really enjoy learning the latest front end framework? It is more of the same garbage. As a student, which I am guessing you are, you think it is a good thing. Once you are in the industry for a while, you realize you just have to keep learning to get paid. The learning doesn't benefit you personally other than that it is a requirement of the job.

Like I said, it doesn't feel like a drain to me. If that helps with your analysis, I don't very much consider myself a social person (though I funnily enough even I naturally tend to avoid personal communication, I am always happy to talk about work-related things).

Well, by learning I mean a more general concept of learning than memorizing the latest and greatest framework. I've heard front-end people on Jow Forums talk about the mess that exists with web frontends, but I never used one; whenever I need to do something frontend-related I only use html+css+javascript+jquery (I avoided jquery for longest time but in the end came to accept it because it's just handy).

What I mean about learning is, for example, over about 5 years I've familiarized myself with postgresql. I started with just knowledge of SQL basics, and learn to very carefully consider plans that postgres creates from queries, and alter those queries with this knowledge for better performance.

So what I mean is it's not just mindless learning of something that some nerd came up with - you understand underlying concepts, and from that it becomes to commit specifics to memory.

Wow thanks guys now I don't want to be a programmer anymore, sounds depressing and exhausting.

Attached: 1544160534575.png (356x352, 197K)

Anyone here who thinks they would be better off "stacking boxes in a warehouse" is an idiot and have never had to do this kind of shit job for longer than a few months if at all. The only good thing about something like that is you do get to be in not bad a shape physically, but it's brain-numbing, it's literally killing your mind. And no, you don't "free yourself" by letting your mind "explore the universe", or some such BS, because you do physical stuff and you're free to "think". All you do is think and torment yourself "have I really fucked up so bad to be here?"
>t. 5+ years of warehousing

Yeah I think that type of learning feels useful. As in, you are progressing your abilities.

In terms of the drain, I don't know. I am as suitable to programming as it gets. I am pretty much autistic, introverted, can concentrate for hours, yet still just burn out way too easily from programming. I just find it hard to even picture anyone who could do this job and not get burned out. I have been doing it for a similar amount of time as you, but I think I burnt out about... the first year of university.

It sucks, but look. I get to sit all day in an air conditioned office. There is a microwave, refrigerator, and small kitchen. The bathroom is always clean. I get to shitpost on Jow Forums when no one is looking. I make enough money to buy things I don't need. How many warehouse workers can say that?

I am speaking from personal experience. You do get to let your mind wander. Warehousing sounds very boring though. I was a postal delivery guy and went and delivered parcels. I got to meet lots of hot secretaries and didn't find anything boring about the job at all.

Purely shifting boxes around in a warehouse sounds a bit worse. The only reason I quit delivering parcels was because I thought I was supposed to do some high end work because I am smart.

Well that's shit to hear, though some of the research I just checked suggests that it still slows the symptoms even though it doesn't affect the underlying brain changes

Yeah I am a student, though I've worked a couple co-ops and am doing one more next term, before I grad. I don't want to do front-end full time, though my next job is essentially specialized full stack, so I guess it's part of my life at the moment.

At my last position, all the learning was done at work, during the 40-hours I spent a week there anyhow. So it didn't require any time I wasn't going to spend there and it was infinitely more entertaining to be reading and studying problems and solutions as a job than performing the monotnous service I had at any other job (retail + food service).

Why do people think autism and introversion is enough to be a good programmer? I think at some level you need to enjoy problem solving and the art more than just simply wanting to be alone at a computer.

Have you spent all 12 years in the same company? I spent 7 years in one, 3 in another and now 1.5 in the current one. I left every one of them because the other was offering about 2 times as high wage.

The other thing is, people have this idea that professional jobs are varied and interesting. In most cases, the extreme opposite is true. You end up doing very repetitive boring crap that you don't care about in the slightest.

I am a successful programmer though. My mind thinks in a way that is suited to programming. I have successful open source projects and successful commercial projects.

I am skeptical of this person whose genes somehow escaped the desire to be a normal human rather than sit at a computer all day.

OP here. You have it right, this is what I was thinking of.
During the last few summers I worked at a warehouse breaking and carrying boxes. And while it was exhausting, when I got home I was done, and I had my weekends free, and hell, even my evenings.
And even while working, I could think of other things. I can let my mind wander.
But this cursed fucking profession hogs your brain not only all day, but haha, here come the deadlines, hope you like working from 7 to 7 during crunchtime, mega faggot.
Even during weekends, you're expected to take it home with you.

Working any specialized field is not the behaviour of a "normal human", it's not how we evolved

We do it anyway and recognize that it's a good survival strategy and, in the case of programmers who are generally paid well, affords us the resources (and hence, time, if you spend it wisely and stand up for your self) to do the things we're truly passionate about

>somehow escaped the desire to be a normal human rather than sit at a computer all day.
Come on now, plenty of people are like that. Probably a much smaller percentage also has an aptitude for programming, though.

Dude, seriously, warehousing and delivering parcels have nothing in common other than you get to touch boxes in both, trust me on this. It is much more than simply boring.
There's plenty of intellectual jobs, that are interesting, at the very least more interesting than warehousing type of thing.
Also, work conditions matter. Most warehouses are cold, all are dirty and dusty as fuck.

I guess it depends on the person. An interesting job to one can be nerve-wracking and soul-crushing to another.

Same here. I don't have the hatred of computers though. I just don't want to program again.

Not a programmer but I've known many. The only ones that seemed to do it for fun as a hobby tended to also have assburgers or some other mental issues. They still didn't like doing work that wasn't for their personal stuff though. As for the rest it's simply their least favorite part of the job. Had one them tell me that he sometimes wishes he'd have a simple job that doesn't require so much thinking all the time.

On the other hand. People love to whine about their work no matter what it is so it's hard to say whether programming is just that shitty of a job or they just gotta vent normal work life stress.

some people like exercising their brain. i do, too. it's kind of like going to gym and exercising your body. i don't like the it culture most companies have, though. i've been to some internships and it sucks, man. i'm in the same position as op rn except i like programming as a hobby.

i easily get tetris-effect (in my sleep) with every thing i've been working all day, it's frustrating because in my dream i try to make sense of things, but it's impossible
coding would really fuck my shit up

Can confirm, been moving boxes for years surrounded by people that say you should go to uni again because you voluntarily read other things than the sports section of newspapers.