Argue

Argue.

Attached: debian-vs-ubuntu.jpg (1050x290, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cdimage.debian.org/images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/
stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Both are practically the same thing and are worse than arch.

Mint! :)

Arch!

I like debian but can't recommend it to people on account of requiring an ethernet connection to the internet to complete your installation.
Most laptops don't have ethernet ports anymore so having an ethernet to USB adapter is pretty much mandatory.

Attached: astolfo nom.jpg (1074x1500, 1001K)

>Hey guyss look m so cool, I use arch, hey guys look, please look, don't run, listen, listen to me, I use arch, why are you all running away??

Ubuntu thinks they are gonna slowly take over the debian council but that is sort of like a bank lending themselves their own money. That's why I've been slowly switching towards debian testing.

If you are a new linux person please remember to only buy hardware that supports these features on open source:
>your mouse
>your screen
>your audio
>your wifi
>your keyboard

These are very essential things and if you don't have them you may as well sell the computer and get one that does.

Also don't buy computers that are very difficult to install linux on. I am looking at you UEFI surface tablets.

Ubuntu added minimal install option (trashware not included) to 18.04 installer, making it superior to Debian

my wife is so cute
and we use devuan and not any smelly stinky systemdick distros

is there an arm laptop i can install devuan onto?

They still do this in 2018? Most distros let you install without an internet connection, let alone give you proper wireless drivers.. sad

what even are the differences?

do you like deep throating canonicals dick?

Ubuntu for x86 desktops, Debian for everything else.

Attached: 1498735075225.png (400x236, 78K)

I use Arch.

if someone uses arch they will tell you

Attached: f4a6bd937bcd5520fc965246c95683b1.jpg (640x480, 36K)

i dunno, im mostly using alpine atm

>I like debian but can't recommend it to people on account of requiring an ethernet connection to the internet to complete your installation.
no you don't, you just downloaded the wrong iso. also why would you buy a modurn laptop with no Ethernet port or decent keyboard?

>surface
>can install linux
microsoft has been very lenient

Debian is Ubuntu from 4 years ago

You have to disable Secure Boot but apart from that it just works

>debian netinst
>very easy install
>minimal, great for laptops
>stable, nothing breaks, fonts work

Really good for people who want to get into minimalism, or just people who want a hassle free programming environment.

>mouse
>essential
?

I dual boot Arch and Debian. I can prove you a dozen reasons why Debian is way better than Arch. A friend of mine, who used Gentoo before, told me that Debian is way better (he now uses OpenBSD), as binary and source-based software could run together.

Attached: screenFetch-2018-12-18_12-14-40.png (1366x768, 101K)

You're not wrong.

I use Arch.

use the unofficial one with nonfree firmware drivers.

is kde neon a good distro?

i3 is best distro

Its Ubuntu but the KDE packages are basically rolling release.
Its pretty decent, same pros and cons as Ubuntu.

Install Arch if you're serious about using Linux.

Use debian at home and ubuntu at work. Need nvidia proprietary drivers for CUDA shit. Debian packages installed without hiccup and worked perfectly after rebooting. Meanwhile, neither I nor the IT support for my workplace could get official ubuntu repos to work after hours of trying so we used the shitty tar file from nvidia itself which means every kernel update makes ubuntu shit the bed.

Debian is as easy to use and install as ubuntu (they both use gnome ootb) but just more stable. If for whatever reason you need more recent packages (I never did) just enable the testing repos. Truly the patrician distro,

is arch a meme and you try to fool me or are you serious? what are the benefits of arch over ubuntu or kde?

nvidia drivers installed without any problems on my ubuntu system

This was for an AI accelerator card, not a GTX. Anyhow, my point is with Debian you get a far greater assurance of stability than with Ubuntu. Debian packages just werk more often.

I see no benefits in switching from ubuntu to arch right now.

rolling release, if you update often you will always have really up to date software.

and one of the biggest reasons for me aside from needing up to date versions of software:
with the pacman repos and the AUR combined you can pretty much install any program with the same command. without having to look for obscure ppa's, download .deb files, flatpaks, whatever other shit ubuntu is trying to push.

for me, `yay -Syu application-name` to install almost anything.

Meh dell is more lenient than microsoft in that regard and dell linux support is shit so meh again.

How can it be more stable if it doesn't work?

what kind of arch theme ist that?

Attached: Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-18 um 10.46.22.png (1400x956, 620K)

Arch is for neets.

Arch users are the vegans of technology.

why does everything has to be so emotionally loaded. just like the golang bashing and repeated shilling or shitting on it. what is this board. some 5 years old fighting over nothing. isnt there something better you guys have to do? also whats that style called?

I tried a lot of distros over the years.
Here's my 2 cents:

Ubuntu is OK-tier.
It has some minor design decisions that I dislike, therefore I prefer Mint. But if I have to work on an Ubuntu station it's not a bad experience at all.

Debian is not worth it.
If you download it, they want you to use some obscure tool called "jigdo", which is kinda broken (tried the windows version and the linux version and cound't make it work). Just take the torrent and call it a day.

Then you proceed installing it. And god be with you if you have no ethernet for the installation. I had to manually download a WiFi driver, mount it on a second USB via terminal and only then the installer could finally use it. Kinda disappointing in 2018.

The look-and-feel of Debian is stuck in the past, many tasks are a crutch and the community is full of asshats.

IMHO every debian-based distro is better than debian itself, even as server.

Even though the installer annoyingly comes without proprietary drivers like iwlwifi, there's a stage in the guided install where you can plug in another USB with the driver(s) your hardware needs on.
The installer automatically detects them and moves on with initialising the network interfaces, ez.
I installed Debian on a Dell Latitude with this method and never touched the ethernet.
That said I couldn't get the installation media to connect to eduroam when I was at uni, so I needed ethernet for that.

1. use the live .iso with nonfree packages
or
2. use the netinst .iso but download the firmware into an usb and insert during install
not really that difficult

Can I install Chromium with VAAPI patched in?
No.
Now gtfo with your Plebian

Mint > Ubuntu > Debian
It's all about the user experience. Mint is the best desktop distro for general use.

>I can prove you a dozen reasons why Debian is way better than Arch.
and yet you don't.

There's not even an official ISO with the non-free software. Even though there are some "unofficial" ISOs with the proprietary software.

It's simly retarded as hell when you download a full ISO and can't even get the installation process done. There are so many possibilites to make this more comfortable but debian choses to be stubborn and salty (as their devs are).

There's a reason for Ubuntus rise.

Note that Debian doesn't ship with non-free stuff by default, including firmwares. That often means no working wireless at install time. But there are unofficial, non-free firmware included install images.

cdimage.debian.org/images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/

>everything enabled
no but the groups and deps are sane

>emotionally loaded bashing
Lmao.. how's that emotionally loaded or bashing, it's simply pointing out the truth.
Obnoxious vegans and Arch users will tell you regardless whether you ask or not, that's the point.

>unofficial bad official good
are you fucking retarded? read what official or unofficial means at least

When installing without an internet connection, it doesn't actually tell you what drivers are missing and doesn't present the screen to insert drivers now.
I also tried that unofficial ISO once and it would freeze up. I tried verifying the ISO to no avail.

There's no way to get around adding non-free repos and installing your wlan drivers over ethernet.
In the case of debian, you also have to get your drivers from stretch-backports if your hardware is less than 3 years old.

Attached: astolfo 882.jpg (709x1891, 799K)

All distros have their ups and downs. But the great thing about Linux is the freedom of choice

FPBP

no you dont retard
you need to download the firmware then you can use the wifi

debian is just ubuntu that's harder to use and has less software
there is literally no advantage to using debian other than special snowflake hipster epeen points

>83c idling
fuck!

Sweet, sweet epeen points

Why don't any of you guys use FSF-endorsed distros? You realize Stallman doesn't like Debian & Arch, right?

>If you download it, they want you to use some obscure tool called "jigdo",
show me where you got that.

>wifi firmware is hard

y'all are little piss babies

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-18_13-41-00.png (698x509, 397K)

wifi firmware is the iq test required to use debian
if you cant into wifi you best head back to noobuntu

>fsf throws a shitfit because it's "too easy" to install proprietary software on debian, a distro whose base install is 100% free and idiot children on Jow Forums complain is too complicated to install wifi firmware on

stallman hates debian because it LETS you install non-free software AT ALL
debian actually spends a shitload of effort de-blobbing the linux kernel of proprietary or ambiguously licensed firmware blobs and making you download them on purpose, this isn't enough for that autist stallman.

even if they deleted the non-free repo branch tomorrow I'm sure stallman would claim you can side-load non-free packages with dpkg and it doesn't respect your freedoms

individual freedom, something that those commie fsf fucks have no understanding of, allows me to decide for myself that debian is "free enough"

Why does Jow Forums worship Stallman again?

technological self-flagellation, self-denial, self-satisfaction, resulting in a twisted hedonism

because he did lots of great things for free software before he picked a stupid hill to die on sometime in the 1990s and relegated himself to teaching 3rd worlders about computing freedom even though most of them cant even afford computers

also, regardless of how you feel about him, he makes zero compromises on his ideology
stallman.org/stallman-computing.html

I use Ubuntu cause I'm too brainlet for arch and I hate Microsoft

>official repository has less than 20% of the packages of debian
>have to rely on untested, user created AUR packages to get basic shit
>half the AUR packages are buggy or have dependency issues and are more of a hassle to install than just compiling the program from source
>subjecting yourself to the possibility of a malicious or incompetent actor creating a package that fucks your system

i switched to debian stable + backports, compiling programs when i really need the latest version, and i sure don't miss anything about arch

>muh rolling release
the time you spend fixing bugs and hacking your hobby os back together after every update is far more than any time you save from new program features or a 5% speed increase

You can use ppa's in buntu.

This but with no smiley.

Stallman doesn't hate Debian. That's a fairly gross misinterpretation of his stance.

install gentoo

>Most laptops don't have ethernet ports anymore

most retarded post of 2018 Jow Forums goes to you

gentoo, debain is for fags.

Debain,shes a shit.

Stallman is autistic. Debian comes free by default and with Arch the proprietary kernel can easily be replaced with linux libre.

Torwald he does no like the Debain. The homosexes from debain bother him and cause him to say bad things to them.The fat dirty man, he not know debain, he do not install her before.Is proven story.

Linux mint for personal computers
Debian for servers.
Ubuntu is Amazon botnet.