Is dualbooting obsolete in the modern age...

Is dualbooting obsolete in the modern age? Why would you take the time to reboot and switch to Windows/Gahnoo+Linux/BSD/MacOSX just for web browsing and other mundane tasks? And why should an user dualboot?

Attached: 1498779459232.jpg (470x351, 166K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/joeknock90/Single-GPU-Passthrough
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>why should an user dualboot?
Because he is too poor to afford a machine that can comfortably run a VM.

Even in that scenario, live booting and running a distro from RAM is far better than taking the time to partition stuff for something you may or may not use.

I'd say it's just about dead, there's not much reason to reboot into Windows any more from your preferred OS.

I used to dual boot on my desktop PC. I use it mostly for gaming and still find I have difficulty getting lots of games to run on linux (though hundreds of my games run fine now). Eventually I got a laptop that I use for everything besides gaming so I got rid of the linux partition on my PC.

I dualboot, but I find it annoying. I'd rather have multiple PCs, and exile Windows to its own machine for stuff like rendering graphics.
That way I could actually build a PC for OpenBSD and a PC for Windows, and have both work well.

I got Linux on 1 drive and Windows on an another. I use windwos for the occasional gaming atm. Works perfect for me

Why my pp hard.

Good luck with gaming on VM. And no, I'm not gonna work on VM Ubuntu.

If you're using both OSs for very intensive tasks which require the full power of your hardware, dual booting ia still the most practical choice. GPU passthrough and the like are simply too inconvenient as of now.

But if you don't need all that power (which is 95% of the time with current hardware, gayms aside) a VM will do just fine. You should preferably run Gahnoo/Linux or some other actual OS on bare metal and Windows in the VM, not the other way around.

Anime feeties and pizza.

>dualboots when you can run light host and use VM for everything, even gayming if you got new parts

Same. Separate hard drives are by far the easiest way if you're going to dual boot. That way, you avoid potential issues with Windows autistically not recognizing partitions correctly.

>Good luck with gaming on VM
Why? I thought gaming works pretty well with GPU passthrough.

>wake up
>boot linux for work
>get home from work
>boot windows for gayman
what's inconvenient about it?

Attached: 55e.jpg (600x900, 60K)

Yeah, if you buy separate GPU just for that. And feed that card that is idling 99% of time.

>never heard of single gpu passthrough
Yikes, return to reddit

Gotta love them anime feeties.

>messing with a firmware on your $400 GPU to get worse performance than dualbooting
No thanks.

Attached: 1445620883385.jpg (646x592, 183K)

>Partitioning a drive takes a long time
This guy gets it. The only reason to abandon the DB is because you have ascended.

literally no machine can "comfortably run" a VM because there are limitations when running a VM you stupid fucking retard

What? Do you just make things up that agree with your views and hope the other person is too ignorant/doesn't call your bluff?

>play rimworld and stellaris
>all natively supported
Windows literally has no reason to exist anymore.
>muh Adobe products
Arent indespencible.
I went into linux because it runs Krita better and never missed ps ever since

My esxi server says otherwise faggot

Kinda, though it's faster now than before. It's not exactly "obsolete" as there's still a reason to use each OS over another, and no current OS can fully replace another (unless you count virtualization with GPU passthrough). However it's much more likely to find someone who minds having to stop whatever they're doing on a specific OS to go do that shit on another. Multitasking comes to mind. It just isn't that convenient.

github.com/joeknock90/Single-GPU-Passthrough
Sure thing buddy.

What? You linked a literal babby tier tutorial that you can use yourself to get it working, where do you see anything about messing with firmare? Do you think that entering commands into a terminal means messing with firmware?

>need to build a server
t. retard

Not him, but can that shit be done without relying on two separate displays?

I'm grabbing an RX570 soon and I'm thinking of doing this and using my 4600 HD for the host. I tried a few years ago without much success

>not running a hypervisor like esxi on the bare metal and using vms

In a few years GPU virtualization will probably hit the consumer space so you'll have no reason not to contain games in a VM

Yes, all you need is bash scripting and qemu+vfio

What the fuck are you talking about?

Generally you don't. You either use Windows or macOS to run your professional applications, and if you really need all the unix crap, macOS comes with it and windows lets you install WSL.