I'm an open-source enthusiast but I don't buy Stallman's argument that "free software" is more ethical than closed...

I'm an open-source enthusiast but I don't buy Stallman's argument that "free software" is more ethical than closed source or merely "open source" software. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service-level_agreement
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it's indeed bs

"Open source" in the sense of the open source initiative is still free software.

Free software is software that respects the four freedoms:
a) The freedom to run the software however you like, for whatever purpose.
b) The freedom to study the software and modify it for your needs.
c) The freedom to distribute your knowledge and changes to others, so you can help others and others can benefit from your experience.
d) The freedom to improve the software, and share that improvement with the community.

Proprietary software is really ridiculous if you think of it. Compare it to a chair. Now imagine if you bought a chair from a furniture shop, and the guy selling you the chair told you that you weren't allowed to paint the chair red or make the legs shorter, or even show your neighbour how good the chair looked when painted red.

BSD philosophy makes more sense

Open Source is a term coined to look away from freedom and focus on practical things. For the Open Source modrl, proprietary software is a suboptimal solution, for the Free Software movement , proprietary software is a problem.

>advocating lesser free approaches as more "pragmatic"
This is why macOS is the best FreeBSD, and Apple is a trillion dollar company while FreeBSD literally begs for donations.

it is a good thing

This

b, c, d are basically the same thing.

Not for lawyers, who tend to be picky about these things, which is why they are separate points.

i dont like closed source software, its like eating something that you dont know if its poison or not, BUT how the fuck will people sell software that are free? i mean i could add a comment to it and redistribute it freely rendering the original seller useless and poor.... plz bois explain me how to make comercial software free

no, only c is the same as d.

The world doesn't owe you a living.

- Sell support and SLAs.
- Sell hardware
- Sell partly open source software

You can sell support like Red Hat does. Or dual-license under a free and a proprietary license. Or sell your software as a service.

sell suport? im not talking about an OS or entrerprise ERP whatever gigantic corporate thing.
what is SLAs?

And the world isnt entitled to your work

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service-level_agreement

Basically, you sell promises of fixing future bugs for N years, typically at a recurring fee.

Open sores was a shill cooperate move to remove the focus of the movement from freedom and power for users.

>im not talking about an OS or entrerprise ERP whatever gigantic corporate thing.
Then what are you talking about? It would be a lot easier to answer "how to make money from software?" if we knew what software we're dealing with.

"open source" was invented so Tim O'Reilly could sell his books