Is this now a lost technology?

Is this now a lost technology?

Attached: DSC_0018.jpg (1600x1067, 291K)

And that's a good thing. Fuck these ugly flickering shitboxes that weighted a ton.

How did people use that stuff?

I checked few vids of them running and aside from the flicker there's like black lines constantly dimming most of the screen.

No, we still have knowledge how to make them and there is machinery for producing them, that's been discontinued but not destroyed. There is even one production plant that exists but is closed down.

>How did people use that stuff?
>I checked few vids of them running and aside from the flicker there's like black lines constantly dimming most of the screen.
Because that's not how it actually looks. That's just how a camera picks it up. If you have the refresh rate at at least 80hz then you don't notice any flickering.

Nice

Peak zoomer.

Attached: 0S78X3R.jpg (3000x3000, 607K)

Are you 12?

You need to be 18 or older to be here

Don't push yourself too hard, gramps. You don't want to have a stroke at your age.

>gramps
Literally anybody older than 20 has known CRT TVs

Only in third world countries.

The little ones in camcorders are perfect for ocular computer monitors grab em up fast. Big ones are only good as cheap oscillascopes.

Are you implying the USA are a third world country, nigger?

Why zoomers think anyone is getting mad at their constant showcase of ignorance and lack of self awareness? Is like people making fun of 1500 technology because it doesnt have wifi.

>videos of CRT's
Of course it's fucked. Now I know that's part of the bait but like fuck

They don't flicker when they appear in movies.
Hollywood lied

Bait

>implying it isn't

It wasn't 20 years ago

and I thought I was the biggest zoomer on this board

>Literally anybody older than 20 has known CRT TVs

you couldn't hear all of them, but when you were young enough, some CRTs sounded like the dentist drill from hell, and you'd mention it and all the older people would think you were halucinating. and you didn't have to be close to them, so if it was in the same office you basically just went crazy.

>tfw comfy 27inch trinitron

Attached: gay_bowser.jpg (1600x1200, 2.87M)

hoard them and sell them back to elon musk as ion drives in 20 years or so.

Nope.
t. 22 year old who has never seen a CRT in real life
Maybe you meant 30?

Only absolutly young not yet harmed ears can hear really high pitches. This is normal. Im a bit sad turning into a deaf old guy.

Dude wtf? Im 25 and remember them.

>Zoomers will never know that feeling when you put your hand close to the front of your CRT and you can feel based static
>They will never degauss their monitors

I just turned 18 and used CRTs

I'm 18 and I had a CRT up until I was 8 or so. What the fuck world are you living in? I'm american too

>put your hand close to the front of your CRT and you can feel based static

or even better drag your feet on the carpet in the winter and then put one finger on the screen.

>Zoomers will never know that feeling when you put your hand close to the front of your CRT and you can feel based static
I was born in 2000 and I did this all the time, checkmate atheists. My dad always told me if I did it too much the TV would explode and kill me but I was too much of a badass for that to keep me down

>you couldn't hear all of them, but when you were young enough, some CRTs sounded like the dentist drill from hell, and you'd mention it and all the older people would think you were halucinating.
That’s 15kHz whine caused by the horizontal refresh rate of your video source. Most people lose their ability to hear it by the time they’re 40.

CRT VGA monitors generally don’t have that issue since the standard for video for computers since the mid 90s started at 31kHz as a baseline horizontal refresh rate and went up from there depending on how high end your monitor was.

I used to LOVE my samsung CRT

>TV no work
>hit TV
>TV works

Attached: oogaboogaaa.jpg (800x450, 35K)

How the fuck have you never seen a CRT in real life when 18 year old zoomers like me and have both had them?

I will never let go of my pvm 2530

You never saw a TV until you were 12?

>I will never let go of my pvm 2530
I mean it’s got great picture quality and the case is stylish, but there’s definitely monitors I’d trade a 2530 towards in a heartbeat.

Something like a XM29 or a Megaview, now that’s endgame.

Imo LCDs didn't start completely replacing CRTs in middle america until at least 2011, at least from my perspective. Even if you didn't have one you probably had a friend who had their 360 hooked up to one despite it being an hd console

the few 720 crts that were made by sony are worth their weight in gold now, because of their necessity for use in certain arcade games. i wonder if it is even possible for a boutique or small-quantity producer to make more.

Perhaps, but I like the feel of it specifically... Endgame for me though is one of the HD capable (but analog processing* still) trinitrons that came out late in the 90s

*didn't process the image and took it as it was, a lot of hdmi crts introduce a lot of input lag and have pretty much the same issues as early LCDs except with better colors

>The US wasn't allied with the western or eastern bloc during the cold war
That's news to me

>Endgame for me though is one of the HD capable (but analog processing* still) trinitrons that came out late in the 90s
Shouldn’t any higher end VGA monitor be able to handle HD sources letterboxed though? You could always throw a scaler into the equation to keep support for 15 kHz video.

If you’re talking non-letterboxed support, I feel for you. Recently picked up an itch for a widescreen GDM, but the things always either turn up at ludicrous prices or in absurdly distant parts of the country.

Legit question. How difficult would it be to build your own crt tv? I've seen youtube videos where a guy made a cathode ray tube and an electron gun, that's pretty much most of the way there isn't it?

Here's your (you)

Attached: 1516623766421.jpg (500x627, 121K)

This will be the new version of IQlet kids thinking the world used to be black & white.

Attached: taking uncle adolf to ice cream parlor.jpg (1280x897, 329K)

monochrome is /diy/ level if you are really good, like that youtuber who makes vacuum tubes in his shop. color is a whole nother ball game

As a zoomer I've only ever had 2 "modern" TV screens. Everything else is CRT

What? You mean you gotta use your hands? That's like a baby's toy!