Vscode

>large corporation shits out a better open source IDE in less time than millions of free software enthusiasts who had a 20 year head start
>free software enthusiasts feel threatened and turn on users who use corporate backed FOSS software even though they always kick and scream about about choice being a good thing
I guess this is why they also shit on Ubuntu users, anti-IDE zealots they have a bizarre form of self-imposed sour grapes where they avoid software because it's too approachable and easy to use.

Attached: visual studio code2.png (274x300, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/questions/30269449/how-do-i-set-up-visual-studio-code-to-compile-c-code
gist.github.com/wolf99/26c3a824e5fa244c6e4d
github.com/randy3k/Terminus
pypl.github.io/IDE.html
insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018/#development-environments-and-tools
insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How do I rotate text in Microsoft® Word™?

>begins to type in an empty file
>CPU jumps to 105% usage

I’m not anti-IDE, I’m just telling you that vim with ctags, gdb, automake, bash and gcc is a far better C and C++ IDE than whatever crap Microsoft spits out.

incoming vim hordes.
I find it comfy as fuck. Well done, Microsoft.
Not that I'd really use it for anything serious.

>large corporation shits out a better open source IDE in less time than millions of free software enthusiasts who had a 20 year head start
You forgot to add:

>that corpo's name? JetBrains, pic unrelated

> using an ide unironically

Doesn't happen on my machine

Brainlet here, how the fuck do I set this shit up for c++? I don't want to follow pajeet yt tutorials

ctrl + shift + x
search "c++"
download c++ extension

Run.. run while you still can

sublime is superior but i get your point, freetards BTFO

Why do you need extensions for an IDE?
What do they do?
Is it installing actual toolchain shit aside from the stuff already installed on your machine?

VS code is basically code agnostic.
It's just a plain text editor.
Plugins add syntax highlighting, and compiler support, for whatever you're doing.

What about compilers and configuring the json?

>better open source IDE
We've had Emacs for quite some time. If you weren't a retard that needs a shop to install plugins, you'd know that.

How do you set up sublime? I always wanted to try it.

>I’m not anti-IDE, I’m just telling you that you should turn vim into an ide
HAHAHHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA

>vim with ctags, gdb, automake, bash and gcc

/thread

VS Code is nice, but it's pointless. It's something that Macbooks users would use.

Attached: 1536488745644.jpg (360x358, 35K)

For small programs, you can just use the integrated terminal.

For bigger things, I like to use the File Templates extension, so you can set up some default tasks.json or CMakeLists, so you just edit them to fit your current needs.

I just grabbed some GCC json off of stackexchange:
stackoverflow.com/questions/30269449/how-do-i-set-up-visual-studio-code-to-compile-c-code

or this:
gist.github.com/wolf99/26c3a824e5fa244c6e4d

Then edited to be a default template

it's a text editor, there isn't much to set up. Just install the package manager and adapt it to your needs. For a terminal this is a good plugin github.com/randy3k/Terminus however there's already one built in.

That's exactly what I wanted for a terminal with it, thanks.

They don't even produce software. They just shitpost online. I'm starting to like Jow Forums less because it's all people who accomplish nothing.

Yes, that's exactly my point. Why is that funny? My point all along is that vim is an IDE.

I actually am a macbook user too though, on mac I use vim+ctags, bash, automake and clang and lldb (or gcc and gdb).

A few friend's of my tried it and liked it, I don't really like IDE's though since most of them put too much on the screen to really focus on working.

>I guess this is why they also shit on Ubuntu users, anti-IDE zealots they have a bizarre form of self-imposed sour grapes where they avoid software because it's too approachable and easy to use.
I use gedit and nano

Not actually an IDE, but it is very good at what it does. When you have a large enough budget it's easy to make good open source software as you can easily find people to work on your projects when you pay them.

What can VS do that EMACS can't?

Attached: rich-piana-insulin-header-1068x566.jpg (1068x566, 63K)

VSCode + Vim plug-in is literally maximum comfy
(at least if you have a decent mechine)

Sounds comfy. Can you debug with that setup?

>gdb

gdb

Easy mode is using a plugin to vim to make vim a frontend to gdb, but I never bothered setting that up.

I see. I'm new to linux so I am not famiar with all the gnu acronyms.

That's kind of the point, m8.

user obviously thinks that vim is "just an editor" and that people who use vim are opposed to using tools to make their life convenient, or something like that. Common misconception on Jow Forums because 90% of this board are college freshmen who have been exposed to Linux for less than 6 months.

The entire point of these editors is to cater to the noobs that don't use vim / emacs. There is nothing vscode or any of these meme tier editors can do that vim or emacs can't do better.

Vscode is a snail compared to jetbrains though. Barely usable especially considering you need resharper and rider is better. Webstorm, clion, and j all destroy it and we all know how bad vs is with c/++

>meanwhile in the real world:
pypl.github.io/IDE.html

>visual studio 20%
>eclipse 20%
>android studio 17%
>...
>sublime, vscode 4%
>...
>vim 1%
>emacs 0.3%

Attached: untitled2.png (699x1193, 13K)

>analysing search engine searches to determine an IDE's real-world adoption
That's fucking retarded. All this indicates is that Visual Studio and Eclipse are so fucking bloated and clobbered with unnecessary shit that people have to resort to spending hours upon hours trawling through forums in order to do the simplest of configurations.

How about a stackexhange survey then?
insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018/#development-environments-and-tools

Attached: untitled2.png (1380x1936, 23K)

All his shows is that users of bloatware are retards that can't open manual to solve their own problems.
The 0.7% vim has over emacs is the query "how to exit vim".
It's just the electron toddlers that constantly need to copy/paste shit from stackoverflow and are completely incapable of any independent problem solving.

>How about a stackexhange survey then?
According to their own stats:

>57.9% work web back-end
>48.2% work with web full-stack
>37.8% work with web front-end
>20.4% work with mobile development

>80% develop as a hobby

>a vast majority has less than 5 years experience

>86.7% taught themselves how to code

>JavaScript, HTML, CSS, SQL and Java are the most popular technologies, with 69.8%, 68.5%, 65.1%, 57.0%, and 45.3% of all questions asked being about them (JS and HTML is even higher if you only account for question asked by self-proclaimed professional developers)

With these kinds of stats, no wonder most of them use meme IDEs that are optimised for web development.

insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018/

Also, note that for sysadmins and devops, vim is by far the most popular IDE, which proves my point that most developers on SO are webdevs.

>corporation has more funds, time, and man power to develop side projects
>surprised when it surpasses the average Joe's passion project
>also leaving out the average Joe's who contributed to the corporations project
>somehow this is an argument that proprietary software is always better than open sourced

Attached: 1544459224165.png (386x389, 134K)

But VSCode is right below it user!

What's the problem with developing as hobby?

Not a problem, but it kind of reinforces the narrative already told in this thread:
VSCode is aimed at catering newbies that find the vim/emacs learning curve to be too steep for their own personal hobby projects.

So.... Like vim?

But user, their developing as a hobby is developing outside of work, not just as a hobby:

>Many developers work on code outside of work. Over 80% of our respondents say that they code as a hobby. Other interests or responsibilities outside of software don't seem to reduce developers' interest in coding as a hobby. Those who said they are parents or have other caretaking responsibilities, those who exercise daily, or those who spend the most time outside were slightly more likely to code as a hobby than other groups.

I see, I was mistaken.

Why is Jow Forums suddenly under siege by pro-microsoft anti-linux missionaries? Every second thread is someone shilling Microsoft.

I personally use a plain text editor and a terminal because that's usually all I need, barring things like android development where a live preview in Android studio is really nice.

Other than git buttons what does vscode has to offer?
I find its autocomplete thing annoying since it always deletes text when im editing for some reason.
Keep in mind that i rather use the terminal for git.

>Electron based
HAHAHAHA, ok kid.
I'll stick to geany and my own script for version control and deployment.

Yes and the real world is full of poo. Be proud of your complete and utter averageness rajeesh

>open source
Enjoy your spyware.
When will normalfags fags learn?
Install Vim or Emacs.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-18-22-59-29.png (720x547, 111K)

(((telemetry)))

those people barely write any code though, at most they will write a few short scripts.

>4 of the top 5 are specific to Java
yikes

Any IDE without auto completion is obsolete garbage.

I know, but my point is that a vast majority of developers on SO are web developers, which is why working with IDEs that are particularly designed around the process of webdev makes sense and it isn't that surprising that these would be the most popular.

>>large corporation shits out a better open source IDE in less time
VS Code is just a fork of Atom, so they did not make the editor in less time, they just did minor improvments. Also MS bought Github which owns Atom so now no one uses Atom since MS owns both

embrace, extend, extinguish

i dont know shit but i act like i do: the post

Install gentoo
$interjection

None of the programs that I actually write are anywhere near complicated enough to warrant a bloated IDE.

nobody was using atom before microsoft forked it

Microsoft IDEs are still laughably pathetic compared to a properly configured vim or to IntelliJ. Which is like a properly configured vim but in a user friendly package anyway. Even eclipse is better than vs/vsc

>I literally have no idea what I am talking about!
Sheesh, user.

Kate is still better

and yet the only relevant and competent people in tech (ones who hold popular blogs, conference speakers etc.) almost always seem to use those text editors

Except they don't

>electron
>telemetry
emacs's got an entire fucking lisp interpreter in it and it still shits on any electron-based webshit both performance-wise and customization-wise. And I'm not even an emacs user.

>large corporation hires javascript faggots to write an electron app
>needing to run a chrome engine to edit text files

We all know that emacs is a superset of vim/vscode/sublime or pretty much everything out there.
I, when I am not using emacs, I prefer kdevelop.
Why would I bother with anything else?

Well, duh. Large corporations need to perform - otherwise, they cease to exist. Enthusiasts do nothing except talk and masturbate - they produce nothing, and welfare ensures their continued existence.

Why are you posting this on Jow Forums of all places? Most people here use Linux. My distro is one of the most used and it has less than 1% of the OS marketshare. Why would you think popularity is a relevant criteria here? Most of us use software than barely hits the front page of google when you search for it.

>Most people here say they use Linux, but of course they have Windows VMs, dual boots, and drives
FTFY. You're welcome.

>better open source IDE
nobody writes IDEs because they are useless bloated garbage. kys GUI nigger.

>>large corporation shits out a better open source IDE
It ain't free. Use VS Codium instead.

Sure it doesn't, because you're on single core, means 100% load is max capacity.

they also screech about corporations not releasing any software for their beloved autism-os . then they get m$ to write FOSS software that runs on pengiunshit and they reeee even harder. luckily the FOSS movement was just a blip. zoomers aren't as retarded as millennials and won't work for free. base and pill zoomers the future is you'res

this. and you can see it has been developed by product oriented people as it's highly polished. I tend to use vim but when I use a gui editor I go to VS code. because they did polish this thing and I don't need to edit fucking json files to change settings

Intellisense-like feature in every fucking language besides C/C++.

Fuck off you retard. You most likely can turn off whatever is causing the problem.
Alternatively you could buy modern hardware. I bet the problem is actually your garbage system thermal throttling down to 100mhz.

>80% develop as a hobby
confirms my suspiciouns: proffessionals left this shitstain of a site long time ago. between retarded pajeet questions "how I make buttan" to nazi mods "oh we close your question because it's too obscure" this site is completely useless for anything but trivial beginner shit.
the few times I actually got a SO thread in my search results it was some closed question because my problem was too obscure. mostly audio programming stuff. nazi mods won't even let the thread open for people to comment. while not as useful as a direct answer comment threads where people just speculate still can offer many insights. but not on SO because LOL OFFTOPIC
fuck that faggot site and all fags who use it the day of the rope is near and you will hang

It's almost as if there is the most money in web-development nowadays

Sure, you can turn off what's causing the problem, but that means you don't have ide open anymore.

nothing. but drawing conclusions from those stats about what is popular with professional developers is retarded. it's like going to some amateur astronomy forum and designing your next space telescope according to what needs those people have

that's because it's the default editor on many systems when connecting via ssh and nobody is gonna bother setting up some complicated remote GUI text editor for just changing one line here and there.

>Many developers work on code outside of work.
not past your 30th birthday though. kids work on code as their hobby. adults have other shit to do outside of work

Funny how when I use vscode it doesn't go past 10% CPU usage
I often have 5

>Why is Jow Forums suddenly under siege by pro-microsoft anti-linux missionaries?
maybe Jow Forums grows up and realizes that spending 3 days hacking away on config files just to get the printer running is a waste of time?

>open source
>people are intended to contribute code and fix bugs themselves
>user is too lazy to even just compile the project himself
>it's hopeless. everything is lost. we have to download from ms and accept spyware. there's no alternative
kys

It's funny how autistic, religious zealotry evaporates under the harsh light of real life.

Attached: 1439710047999.jpg (474x352, 29K)

this. they use linux to the exten of ricing their shitty install and then they boot back into windows to play their gayms

if it takes you 3 days to setup a printer then I'm not surprised you're using Windows

so how much did you pay?

free as in freedom

Most Linux users can't do anything in Windows, though. Millions of "WANGBLOWS CANT DO THIS BTFO" threads go through here, where how to do it is two clicks away. Hell, there's a thread around here somewhere extolling the benefits of lspci and how shitty winblows doesn't have it, when Device Manager does way, way more.

>lspci and how shitty winblows doesn't have it
We have the infinitely-superior pnputil. PITA to use, but that's what devmgmt.msc is for.

kate does all the same shit

No worse than lspci, though.