Why do NPCs like Python so much?

Why do NPCs like Python so much?

Attached: NPC_Programmer.jpg (600x600, 84K)

just werks

Attached: 1539800019795.jpg (554x439, 106K)

ez

"Just werks" = "Does everything for you so it's not even really programming"

Gaems monis and wimen

unlike Hasklel NEETs, amirite

Últimately that is the face of progress and programming, to make things easier for you, don't like it? Then sucks to be you

Programing is about automating menial tasks, there's no point in being slave to a weird programming language that forces you to waste time.

Why paint a landscape when you can just photograph it?

So you're saying that programming is a hobby for you?
Then fine, go ahead and use C or haskell, or whatever. I have shit to do.

>Sad, sad wageslave who can't appreciate programming as anything other than a way to pay the bills.

He would be a hypocrite even if he were to use C or Haskell. Why use any kind of compiler? He should painstakingly write every longjmp and SIMD sequence by hand.

>Does everything for you
That's the whole point of programming in the first place, you silly goy.

Just because I don't want one extreme doesn't mean I should go all the way to the other extreme.

>I have shit to do
*blocks your path*

Attached: 1537399633950.jpg (728x546, 71K)

If you need to write highly parallel code, then Python obviously isn't the best choice. What kind of severely autistic person would think that because you prefer to use Python for X, you must also always use it for Y and Z?

Attached: autism1.jpg (653x395, 33K)

what is the elegant language that provide unique semantic constructs and interesting learning challenges??

python

FACT: if you think python is useless, you have not gotten past precalculus

Attached: f58.png (1280x1942, 517K)

Python is the most powerful programming language

Attached: 1542694597881.png (566x56, 8K)

>bickering over who uses what languages
all of you should be embarrassed. can't say I'm surprised, though. retards

I've studied point set topology, group theory, and ordinary differential equations. How about you?

So then if python is so bad, what's a better language for a quick script that takes care of one specific task?

Attached: 1455523857091.jpg (428x428, 44K)

bash

>highly parallel
try "any parallel at all"
it's a shame because the second someone hits any performance issues at all it's like they shouldn't have even bothered touching python in the first place
the library and bindings support is still top notch though

>Thinking that it matters which language you learn first

People learn python because it's an easy one to get into. Then they can learn "better" languages when they're more comfortable with the idea of programming

I can do you one better
>punch cards where your code takes up massive amounts of physical space and if it gets out of order you're fucked.

They usually don't though.

>try "any parallel at all"
You can always fork multiple process instances and communicate with IPC if you don't rely on tight operations on shared memory. That's how mod_wsgi does it, spawns multiple self-contained worker processes.

>it's a shame because the second someone hits any performance issues at all it's like they shouldn't have even bothered touching python in the first place
Implement your performance critical code in C, use FFI bindings to invoke it from Python code. That's literally how scitools and numpy does it. What more than this do you really need?

See

I studied ODEs, PDEs, Probability & Statistics, mathematical modeling (basically was another class on ODEs), etc etc. I was a applied mathfag in uni. I didn't do topology since that was more of a "pure" math class and my school had kind of split the two as far as requirements

Attached: 1533666890127.png (1362x665, 635K)

Listen pussy bitch, you're not a REAL programmer unless you've experienced the pain of your source code getting fucking soggy

Your point being?

>python just works, until it doesn't and you need to stuff your whole program into a socket or rewrite it in C
not saying there is anything wrong with needing to do this, but my point is that you whole "just works" argument falls apart

Why do NPCs like the NPC meme so much?

>taking care of type and memory adresses is what programming is
Dude, stop.

Python is good because it is general purpose and widely deployed in many contexts (science, data analysis, machine learning, web development, automation), has a ton of good libraries and simple syntax that makes it easy to learn and use.

That being said, it’s not necessarily the best language for any one scenario and what it wins in ease of use it suffers in speed. It’s high-level, so you of course won’t be doing anything too close to the hardware. Depends on what your ends are. It’s a good language to learn as a beginner because it’s easy and can be used for many things which means it’ll get you writing code quickly. If it excels in any area it’s as a scripting language for none-developer people like systems or networking guys looking to automate some tasks.

I think a lot of the hype/praise is a result of an echo chamber around the large crowd of new people learning code and preaching about the gospel of their first language being “the best ever”, and the badmouthing/backlash comes from people who recognize that Python is not necessarily *the best* at anything.

Pragmatically speaking, it’s a good language insofar as you can built stuff that works.

I'm sick and tired of your bullshit, user. You're fucking retarded if you think that every problem out there requires a massively parallel solution. Your logic is the equivalent as saying that C is shit because for truly parallel tasks you're better off with programming a GPGPU with CUDA rather than using pthreads.

@68979785
you asked what I studied so I gave you gave you a (You), and I'm not giving you any more.

Attached: 1535646801190.jpg (924x960, 56K)

wat

everyone likes python, not just npcs

Not necessarily, but as a general rule, programming should involve a little bit of algorithm design. Judging by the code they post to Jow Forumsdailyprogrammer, I've noticed most Python programmers can't tell the difference between an algorithm that will run in O(n log(n)) time and one that will run in O(n^2) time.

op is a retarded faggot.

Attached: 1523032353367.png (544x408, 286K)

>Jow Forumsdailyprogrammer
Is not a good measurement of an average Python programmer, just saying.

thats because python has so many great libraries python programmers are just use to gluing shit together and not thinking so hard about implementation details or algorithm design. this is why i think python is an awful first language to learn. its a great language and i use it all the time, but it shouldnt be someone's first language

That I would probably agree with.

How would you know?

I spilled coffee on my thinkpad once.

Python has it's place, it's not the be all end all though. It's certainly not worth getting worked up about.

That's just my impression based on what I've seen.

>stuff your whole program
No, just the critical part. Did you even read the post?

Because it’s easy enough for minorities and women to get a grasp on and feel like geniuses while they do it.

>BAWWWWWWW BLACK PEOPLE BAWWWWW
Jesus fucking Christ, Jow Forums.

What's the deal with black people anyway? They're not black, and they're not people.

Attached: 1539569189087.jpg (658x550, 85K)

>getting this mad because of streamlined programming
Let me guess, you still use punchcards too?

Attached: 1533002361132.jpg (530x492, 53K)

lol

OP is actually brain damaged from leaky mercury delay lines.

Python as a first language is a *bad* idea.
Once you reach wizard tier (as I have), Python starts to make shitloads of sense.
Upon arriving at the realization that dynamic types aren't there to make things easier but rather to make them quicker (that is, you can count on yourself to be competent enough to know what you are doing) it is /vastly/ quicker to write useful scripts.
Obviously performance-wise it isn't anything special, but when you just want to do x to y without writing a novel, its true power is apparent.

It helps them convince themselves that they're not NPCs

Python is an efficient scripting language that has its place as such. It's also a good way to introduce children and retards to some of the basic ideas of algorithmic thinking without worrying too much about specific syntax.

Efficient as in quick to script, not efficient as in running efficiently.

You are right, but you are about one degree from being a tripfag and it’s annoying

Why the hell would you want the semantics of a language to be unique? Syntactically most languages are very different, but semantically they're mostly all the same.

lol no

Python works so people use it. More importantly a boomer named Carlton suing fortnite for some reason.

A good example would be iterators and the yield statement in Ruby. I found these and other aspects of the Ruby language incredibly novel and interesting, which is a large part of the reason why I like that language. Python offers no such excitement because all it does is borrow concepts from other languages.

You know that's how expressionism, surrealism and other styles outside of realism and hyperrealism started, right? "Don't need to pain perfect copies of reality for rich cunts, let's go faken crazy, mate".
Why reinvent the wheel when it was done thousands of times? Especially when raw efficiency is not as valuable as dev's work hours? Because yeah, if you want to make a physics sim in Python, you're a fucking idiot, but for e.g. data scraping system is fine (or anything non-cpu bound for that matter).

python is shit, but this meme is even worse
t. scalautist

Fucker, do you think the concept of generators didn't exist before Ruby? CLU had it in 1975, including the 'yield' keyword.

Python is shitty for anything over about 100 lines, but for simple automation and things that happen in a real workplace, it is perfectly adequate. If your company produces a final product that isn't software, Python is a perfectly good language to know to help you on a day-to-day basis. If you are actually building software for wide-scale or high performance, python is completely useless.

This

Also, coroutines has been a thing since the 60s.

depends on environment

Well still, Ruby does a good job of setting itself apart as a pure object-oriented language with a conceptually infinite graph of object fields combined with an elegant functional scheme. Python just throws a bunch of shit together from different languages/paradigms and doesn't really include anything that gives it its own identity other than just being easy to use for annoying computer nerd wannabees. At least that's the impression I have of the language from what I've seen (I'll admit I never actually bothered to learn it).

What do you need pre-calculus for?

>pure object-oriented language with a conceptually infinite graph of object fields combined with an elegant functional scheme
B-b-b-buzzword b-b-bingo!!!

>I'll admit I never actually bothered to learn it
Admit it, the only language you know is Ruby, right? This is a classic case of baby duck syndrome.

Nothing, because pre-calculus isn't a real branch of mathematics.

>ruby iz cool
>python is just junk thrown together

I'm sorry man, but you are a walking caricature of the average Ruby programmer.

No, I actually started with TI Basic, Applescript, Javascript, and C way back in 2003/2004. I didn't start using Ruby until 2015. I just happen to like it is all.

Why, because I like Ruby more than Python? No shit.

Well, I've never actually bothered to learn Ruby, but I can tell that it sucks from what I've seen. People who use it are just annoying functional programming wannabees and meme webdevs.

>CUDA
Proprietary junk

You know you're running proprietary microcode right now, as we speak, right?

I honestly think python is the worst language I have ever used. I remember all these silicon valley and hacker news people going on about how they loved python. It is FUCKING SHIT. The worst language ever. self self self everywhere. No fucking syntax at all to the point of it not even being readable. Slow as fuck. Too many reserved keywords. It is terrible.

Depends on what the task is, dipshit

I know this is bait but I'll bite:

People who think this shit in real life are insufferable faggots who have 0 concept of how much abstraction there already is between them programming in "real" languages bare metal. The amount of abstraction that's achieved by going from logic gates to C is fucking astronomical, and you could probably never achieve writing a C compiler from bare metal in your entire life if it weren't for the work of hundreds of years of mathematicians working all this shit out for you. Comparatively, the jump from C to Python is minuscule in the grand scheme of things. Sure it might abstract away a few data structures and make things nicer to use, but it's nothing compared to carefully organizing bits of sand together in such a way that they perform actual computation.

Computer science and abstraction are tied together at the hip. Losers who can't understand that the continuous abstraction of mathematics is the very essence of computing are the most obnoxious fucking faggots in the world. The losers who can't understand that it's actually harder to think abstractly are the funniest of them all. Sure you can do the equivalent of hand-holding a modern abacus. You're not accomplishing anything by reinventing the wheel for the thousandth time, you're just doing it because someone needs some retarded shit to be fast, but you're not furthering the field of computer-science. You're not developing new fucking algorithms in C, you're implementing something that someone (far smarter than you) has already thought of in a slightly different flavor just so you can get a paycheck.

What defines an extreme? It's completely arbitrary whether you consider writing in C an extreme or writing assembly or punch cards

>based

Perl

autistic retard
this

Oh, you must program in assembler.

I learned python specifically because bash couldn't do what I needed.

Why the fuck would I use a "challenging" language? My time isn't free, you absolute moron.

>tied together at the hip
hnng

I've never been in a situation where it's quicker to ignore types. I always find that types are useful for finding bugs. Maybe gradual typing is the answer here.

>insults a language because it does everything for you
I think you may have missed the point of programming.

Attached: brainletnpc.png (324x362, 45K)

in all fairness things like BrainFuck need to exist simply for a gag and challanege, to mix up the endlessly monotonous and modernities of programming

Attached: 1307130216374.jpg (514x772, 122K)

Not that user, but even if you write critical sections in C, you're still bound by the GIL. You're better of writing the main loop in C and using Lua or something for the scripting

All this discussion of this is better then this because the field it applies to has a language that does something slightly better is akin to bitching about distros
If you want a job, education and good understanding of computer science the worst think you can do to yourself is out yourself in a fanboy/superiority complex while denying progress into other languages
Simply doing what you need isn't good enough for you cucks, because in truth none of you niggers do anything useful but drop out of coding bootcamps or online courses and debate Linux distros and programming languages inbetween your McDonald's shifts

Attached: 5C7D6AD3721D4BCF9BB1509B799ABA5D.gif (444x444, 2.56M)

until it pays the bills and leaves comfy amount of money in wallet after end of month, why should I complain?