Johnathan Blow creator of Braid and the Witness

What does Jow Forums think of this guys new programming language?

github.com/BSVino/JaiPrimer/blob/master/JaiPrimer.md

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xSXofLK5hFQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Smart dev. Good games. It would be nice if his language was, you know, available.

Some interesting features. His games are shit.

This

Also, I wish he'd stop being so fucking perfectionist and release an alpha or whatever, instead of making his silly tutorials.

Don't care, sick of hearing about this vaporware. Making a programming language isn't like making a game, you can't just hype up a bunch of teenagers to give you preorders by dangling fancy screenshots and videos in front of them, you have to, you know, actually ship something to users. This guy does not seem to get that though.

>almost 2019
>semicolons
into the trash it goes

Is his language STILL not available to try?

youtube.com/watch?v=xSXofLK5hFQ

Amezing games.

Man I'm surprised you guys think its good considering how critical Jow Forums usually is. The syntax is barely better than C++ and all the new features while nice should be implemented as language extensions or macros in C++ they really don't justify a new language. Making a language from scratch just for game development seems crazy to me. I think he should have approached it as making a systems language with good meta programming and language extension capabilities. And just writing gamedev specific extensions in code. Including grammar productions for SOA vs AOS seems insane. I feel like this lesson was learned by language developers 50 years ago. I guess it makes sense though since this guy is a game developer. He seems smart and passionate though. So he might learn some lessons and turn out okay in the end though.

It's barely known, therefore Jow Forums likes it. Wait until it gains some popularity, then Jow Forums will grow to hate it.

I'm not sure what it does that doesn't already exist.
C and C++ are pretty much dead and already have replacements.

Absolute crap and shows he knows even less about programming languages than about games.

oh yea dude i can’t wait for Braid and The Witness to finally come out of early access and get full releases

>caring about semicolons

the latest game he's been making looks fun

>the new features while nice should be implemented as language extensions or macros in C++
the problem with C++ is it's too complicated and bloated, I think you're missing the point there
although I agree his language looks so much like C++ I don't really see the point of it
and "systems language" is just a stupid meme for any language that cares about performance, there's different types of systems

I'll try to give a fuck about it when he actually releases it. That shit is basically vaporware at this point.

a "systems language" is a term for a language that can be used to program on bare metal and interfaces simply with memory interfaces.

yeah, like I said, a meme
If I'm a game programmer I don't give a shit about safety like other "systems languages" might

i guess i don't understand your point. a systems language doesn't have to be 'safe'.

My point is that grouping all low-level languages together as systems languages is a meaningless distinction because there's different types of systems with different requirements suited to different languages

Blow is arrogant and has many strong opinions I disagree with, but he knows his shit when it comes to programming. I'm optimistic Jai will be pretty interesting.

>he knows his shit when it comes to programming
dude spent 7 years making his own game engine for something he could have made in a year using Unity

The problem then would be that it takes 5 seconds to compile a hello world program and you can't prevent programmers from using shitty features from C++.

The amazing part of Jai is you get all kinds of neat features and it compiles in the blink of an eye. That's a killer feature in my book.

the compliation is good but the only feature it has over C++ is proper compile time execution

patently incorrect

about what part? The Witness is basically a walking simulator, it's almost the ideal use case for Unity

Never heard of it but from what I can tell it doesn't actually exist, he's a scammer who creates threads on Jow Forums about his made up bullshit.

your point is wrong

>Jai is a language designed for good programmers, not against bad programmers. Languages like Java were marketed as idiot-proof, in that it’s much more difficult for programmers to write code that can hurt them. The Jai philosophy is, if you don’t want idiots writing bad code for your project, then don’t hire any idiots. Jai allows programmers direct access to the sharp tools that can get the job done. Game programmers are not afraid of pointers and manual memory management. Programmers do make mistakes and cause crashes, perhaps even serious ones, but the argument is that the increase in productivity and reduction of friction when memory-safe mechanisms are absent more than make up for the time lost in tracking down errors, especially when good programmers tend to produce relatively few errors.

>just don't hire bad programmers, user. just don't write bad code, user.

dropped

bad programmer detected

Attached: 1431389434449.gif (540x540, 1.1M)

sup' fag

Attached: anon is faggot.png (247x52, 6K)