/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

verbose edition

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: CAS_OUTPUT-5.jpg (1024x1024, 101K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B0799R3HBR
rakuten.com/shop/notebookavenue/product/NLENT440P20AWS0DU00GBU/?rtg=7edfcf8cb4256f1f0ce8e8d161a78c2f&l-id=Product_YouMayAlsoLike_widget_1
rakuten.com/shop/notebookavenue/product/NLENT440P20AN006NUS/?rtg=7edfcf8cb4256f1f0ce8e8d161a78c2f&l-id=Product_YouMayAlsoLike_widget_2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>barely any thicker and heavier
>much more sturdy
>b-but it's to big and heavy to fit in my purse and carry around

Attached: Laughing Whore.jpg (762x900, 161K)

>tfw upgraded to an x1 carbon this year and can never go back to any other type of keyboard and touchpad
feels good fellas

Attached: 1532994183935.jpg (250x223, 7K)

Is buying a classic keyboard for my x230 worth it?

>barely any thicker and heavier
x1c6 is 16mm thick, t440p is 30mm, I could almost fit 2 laptops for the volume of what you're carrying, "barely" my ass
>much more sturdy
i'm not a retard who drops my laptop or spills water on it or any that kind of shit, this is the dumbest argument ever
>b-but it's to big and heavy to fit in my purse and carry around
and here you prove that you literally never leave your basement, ever carried groceries alongside your laptop in your bag? you'd surely appreciate the extra space if your mommy wasn't doing shopping for you kid

Now don't get me wrong, I think t440p is a good laptop but to say it isn't heavy or not as mobile as ultrabooks is just being straight up biased.

my t450s' speakers only output at like 10% prior max volume volume, when everything is maxed.

is this a common problem? what do?

>oh no I can't fit my soi juice in my bag coz I'm a soilet
You can't make this shit up.

Attached: 1535951103983.jpg (1080x1080, 1.04M)

>a laptop being sturdy is completely irrelevant

get a car or just stop carrying every fucking thing you own in a purse and you agonize a lot less about 30mm vs 16mm on a laptop. who's stuffing groceries into a fucking backpack/shoulder bag?

>and here you prove that you literally never leave your basement, ever carried groceries alongside your laptop in your bag? you'd surely appreciate the extra space if your mommy wasn't doing shopping for you kid
We are talking about over the shoulder postman bags/purses right? The kind where this might actually slightly matter, instead of backpacks. That slightly over ONE centimeter won't help you, if it does, you're already forcing things into your bag and that X1 is going to flex like a bitch. Because Also if I have to force things into my shoulder bag for them to fit, I just take a plastic bag and carry the shit from the store in that.

>basement dweller argument
>does not even have a car

>attaches anime to every post
nice argument retard
be careful to not trip and hit your head, oh wait maybe you already did retard

>tfw user ran out of arguments

Attached: 1529807429978.jpg (1000x1000, 116K)

>uses onions as an argument

What distro? What sound system?

Didn't know /tpg/ has soilets, thought this was more of a Apple thing

Ultrabooks are literally a meme, only useful as bed Facebook machines.
t. been carrying around laptops for 20 years

No need to call other people retards, user. If manufacturers thought like you, every single laptop would break within a couple of days.

>defining manliness by how heavy your laptop is
you literally can't make this shit up

Attached: 1536739318328.gif (400x206, 1.76M)

No, people are just making fun of you for caring about a difference that's less of a kilo and a centimeter. [spoiler]Specially since one is more of a chinkpad than the other. [/spoiler]

why are you getting so mad over this? X1 buyers remorse? or are you some kind of self-proclaimed father figure here?

well half as thick and half as heavy isn't "barely bigger", I'm making fun of people who think t440p is a portable machine, may as well carry a desktop everywhere to show off how manly you are

Why do people shit on the older models and say they aren't fast?
I got an x220 a month ago and as a 2D animator I use it as my daily driver with absolutely 0 issues even when hooked up to a 1080p external Cintiq.

It's a magic little machine and I'm glad I bought it.

got a x200 for 130€ wasn't cheap enough (EU) but its in good shape.

I want libreboot but I don't think that will be easy...

debian with pulseaudio, i think it's a hardware issue because the bios 'beep' sounds muted too

>well half as thick and half as heavy
But it's not.

>I'm making fun of people who think t440p is a portable machine, may as well carry a desktop everywhere to show off how manly you are
Both are 14", while one of them has a much better build quality, performance and user replaceable battery. It's clear that the T440p makes for a much better on-the-move computer.

The old Intel machines with MQ/HQ 4 core CPUs are much faster than the standard Intel U, 2 core CPUs of today. They do take a lot more power too though.

If it's in good shape, that's a fair price. You can get one in a slightly used shape with battery for €100 here.

according to notebookcheck data
16mm vs 30mm, misses 1mm to being exactly half as thin
1.482kg vs 2.79kg(9 cell), missing less than 100g from being half as heavy
that's close enough if you ask me
>much better build quality
people keep using this meme, what does it actually mean? I owned x220 and I owned few chinkpads and I see no evidence of it having any worse build quality, feels just as solid
>better performance
my 8550u can outperform any t440p cpu not by much but it can, t440p has way better value but not performance
>user replacable battery
there are 5 screws between you and the entire machine chinkpads are way easier to diassemble, want to replace thermal paste on x220? fuck you 50 screws to dissasemble entire god damn laptop to get there
and the argument of not having replacement batteries is non existent, use fake slice and you can extend battery life with any usb c pd powerbank which are much cheaper than genuine lenovo cells and more versatile at the same time

Brehs I do a lot of MATLAB Sims and autocad/Creo designing at work and university, I usually use my badass rig but this year portability has really kicked my ass, I have an old 230x I've put a solid-state in but it's dying off.
I love the design but will be looking to upgrade to something with mad juice and I don't mind dropping a bit of dough on it, prioritizing processing power, what does the Jow Forumsremlins recommend from the list?

>A good boy for your troubles

Attached: xctg9ek49r321.jpg (2048x1536, 907K)

is an X230 with i5-3230M good or should I wait for one with i5-3320M?

they're basically the same

>16mm vs 30mm, misses 1mm to being exactly half as thin
>1.482kg vs 2.79kg(9 cell), missing less than 100g from being half as heavy
See? It's not half.

What is the best place to look for ThinkPads in eastern Europe?

I kinda want one to be pure work machine, c# dev, dba and typical system administration tasks.

Probably w or x one.

>people keep using this meme, what does it actually mean? I owned x220 and I owned few chinkpads and I see no evidence of it having any worse build quality, feels just as solid
The X220 and T440p are pretty on par build quality wise, even though the T440p is further from the classic design, it's internal build quality is great, the T440p being still more chinkpad, the X1 is even more chinkpad, going more chinkpad each generation

>my 8550u can outperform any t440p cpu not by much but it can, t440p has way better value but not performance
This entirely depends on the T440p CPUs, it has CPU options that also outperform a 8850U, but sure, the 8850U runs slightly cooler, even though not much compared to other U CPUs
The 8550U is also not a CPU found in a Gen 3 X1, the 5600U is the best option, the one we were talking about, because we wanted to keep the prices in somewhat reasonable range to each other (see the other thread)

>there are 5 screws between you and the entire machine chinkpads are way easier to disassemble*
I thought the whole argument was portability? You're going to unscrew 5 screws in the field when your battery runs out? A single replacement battery in the bag takes also much less space and runs for longer than a bunch of wires and a powerbank

I have nothing against either laptop, but saying one is definitely a better option on the go than the other? No way, both are good portable options and it entirely depends on your routine and what you do

do you have local online sales sites where local people can easily sell shit? those might have good deals from people or resellers
maybe a small business that resells laptops? I'm sure you'll have at least one in a major city

I already said this but I'll ask one more time, my budget is $400 so should I get the t440p?

I was gonna get a $399 one from Amazon but it got sold out. Pls help

>I already said this but I'll ask one more time
Are you the 1080p guy or Overwatch guy?

What do you need it for?

someone was selling a maxed 440p for $200 or so in the last thread

He was in Chile if I remember correctly. Still a good price even if you include $30~ shipping

No.

School, anime and some WoW.

Idk what the names are, I only came on Jow Forums and CTRL F'd "laptop", do far I've learned that ThinkPad are the shizzle. Anyways, I'm looking for one that's new/refurbished/newish, plus the one I was looking at was more expensive for having a good CPU.

Attached: thethinkingman.jpg (724x739, 165K)

I have T420, and planning to get either X220 or X230.
What dock model should I get?

Attached: InstaSave.jpg (1080x803, 52K)

Best budget option is a used ThinkPad T440, T450, or T460. They're great all arounders that few people would be disappointed with. You can get really decent ones for less than $200 and the specs are probably good enough if you're coming from an X230. If you need a lot more processing power and a beefier GPU you should just go with a P series ThinkPad like a P51. They're $1k+ but they're mobile workstations, which means they can replace a lot of shitty desktops. If you want something in between you can go for a W series like a W540 or W550 for like $500-600.

The T440p will be good enough for that.

>get outbid on T530
>no other machines that already have the FHD display for sale
>immediately change mind and start researching and looking up little X series pads and maybe even a tablet display
>start counting out for power supplies and SSDs before I even realize I'm writing
I can feel the warp overtaking me.

what's better to take - t410 for 90$ or x220 for 110$? Can I swap t410 screen for something decent? Both are with core i5 so I'm concerned about performance, too (I've heard that it's better to get x220 with i7)

Is it worth buying a refurbished x1 carbon from 2015 ? how lonh will it last ?

Attached: 1542784745184.jpg (2400x1350, 1.78M)

Does anyone know if the Hard Drive caddy cover for the x61 fit on the x61 tablet? They look very similar, but I just wanted to be sure.

Attached: cover.jpg (1500x1125, 54K)

No it’s a meme. If you enjoy your current keyboard then keep it.

Has anyone ever seen a problem with the x230 where it randomly turns off? My cpu temps hover around 40-50 degrees Celsius.

Cop or not?

Attached: 2018-12-19 15_18_02-Lenovo Thinkpad X230 Fast Business Class Laptop i5 CPU IPS Display New 240GB SSD (1483x566, 353K)

Where should I buy a 9 cell battery for my t440p?

it doesn't

That fucking sucks. Thanks.

Why doesn't IBM make a ThinkPad with a POWER CPU?

I'd buy it, if it had a i7

What’s the verdict on upgrading the screen panel for the T410 and x220

Attached: 6F40CB08-5060-4D52-B667-2B57242FAC53.jpg (4032x3024, 1.55M)

lolis

Anyone?

No idea. I ditched my X220 a few months ago for an X240, so I already have a nice 1080p screen. How much are they charging for upgrade kits?

I just got a t460 for $400, it has an hd panel and its shit, everything looks blueish. On top of that it comes with ddr3. Is it worth to upgrade to a FHD IPS display? I was thinking on selling it and getting a t470 with ddr4. what do you think?

I saw one of you /tpg/ in public so I set down my thinkpad across from you and you pretended not to notice me :((( I just wanted to make a genuine human connection

I'd have commented if I saw you. My main public appearances are in the liquor store, though.

I was looking for X230t on eBay and price difference between models with Core i5 and Core i7 is about 200 fucking bucks. Is it really worth it?

The x230 is harder than the T430, but if you enjoy the island style then keep it. I did the swap because I adore the classic style.

How shit is the non IPS x230 screen really?
I-it's not like it will be my main pc...
it can't be that bad r-right

very very shit. if you know any modern IPS screen you won't be able to use the TN trash on the older thinkpads.
luckily screen replacement is easy even for low iq niggers and costs what $80?

Any T450S users here, should i buy it ?

Can I fit a t460s fhs display in a t460?

i need a laptop with these configs :

i5 8th gen
gtx 1050 or above with 4GB
8GB RAM
FHD display
1TB HDD

nothing else. idgaf about mechanical keyboard or whatever dafuq u guys keep pushing others into.

just recommend me the laptop with these specs

How about I recommend going back to

>buying a modern laptop with a Intel CPU
dum

Just dropped my temps 10C worth. Anyone ever wants to experiment, I can recommend.
Make sure you make it spill proof though, as it's a portable computer.

Attached: IMG_20181219_211050.jpg (2000x1500, 2.22M)

It's better than the T430 garbage display. You probably won't even need to replace it.

anons help,

I installed i3 gaps on ubuntu, it opens but whatever I do the loading cursor shows up for a long time and nothing happens,

how do i fix this? is there a better guide to install this i3 gaps thing?

Attached: IMG_9.jpg (2339x1933, 840K)

>being this retarded
go back to winshit fucking idiot

Haha, made my night, thanks..

Listen to

>Playing vidya on an overclocked business laptop
The absolute state of furfags

i bought an x250 for 200$ 6 months ago and i've been comfy as fuck with it.

thanks for the meme fags.

now i cant use my other laptops because their keyboards are shit.

Attached: 104217802-GettyImages-630963662.1910x1000.jpg (1910x1000, 166K)

Imagine being this degenerate

Nothing wrong with loli cunny you faggot

That's a dragon cunny, I doubt you even have the proper biology to satisfy her.

>implying AMD has anything actually good to offer
Current Ryzen mobile laptops have loads of flaws

more than it is worth it to me to fool with. If I were to spend "real" money on another laptop, i'd get something new with a good screen. I kept seeing a lenovo I liked but can't seem to find it anywhere now. It wasn't a thinkpad and it had some shitty processor really but it was a really nice screen and really nice package overall.

I suppose I could sell the t410 and x220 to some idiot who pays a lot for it and then go out and buy something brand new. But.. who would the idiot really be in this case?

they do, less though than intel ones

So I been getting into the thinkpad meme for a while and this peeks my interests. The T440p

amazon.com/gp/product/B0799R3HBR
I have the budget for it. I'm also planning on using it for some light gaming now and then. Probably emulators and such, but mostly reserve it for projects.
Kind of like Was wondering what upgrades you guys recommend and why (Change hdd for sdd, more ram, etc.)

Attached: 1476777082678.jpg (500x366, 40K)

>amazon.com/gp/product/B0799R3HBR
that's not a t440p charger

So should I get rakuten.com/shop/notebookavenue/product/NLENT440P20AWS0DU00GBU/?rtg=7edfcf8cb4256f1f0ce8e8d161a78c2f&l-id=Product_YouMayAlsoLike_widget_1 ??? Please anons reply. Also please don't buy it, I bet it was you faggots who bought out the other ones.

rakuten.com/shop/notebookavenue/product/NLENT440P20AN006NUS/?rtg=7edfcf8cb4256f1f0ce8e8d161a78c2f&l-id=Product_YouMayAlsoLike_widget_2

Or this one? What's the difference, other than some "mini" port, shouldn't it be more expensive?

Bought a T430 for 250 €.
>8 GB RAM
>i7 3520M
>NVIDIA NVS 5400M
>500 GB HDD
>1600x900 display

Did I just get ripped?

>Did I just get ripped?
for 250? I think you did.

What would be a fair price?

I got a t470s with 12gb ram, full hd and nvme drive for $350

There is no such thing really. Look at it this way. It is a very old computer for that sort of price, if you looked around you could have found T440 (newer model) or even newer for around the same price as what you bought it for.

>comparing ulv shit to a t430

Why are Thinkpads in the EU so much more expensive than in the US?

They are not though. You can find cheap and expensive ones in both.

Where?
I always look at Ebay and the EU prices are always much higher.

EU sellers rarely sell on ebay, since the local markets are good enough. Specially when it comes to small retailers or normal people.