Is there still any point in learning to code?

Is there still any point in learning to code?

I am 30. I just want to make games.

Attached: B7f2_OECEAAyijj.jpg (545x362, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/1613280772/abomi-nation
twitter.com/AnonBabble

lol, if you actually want to learn, stop asking, get off four-channel and pick up a book

Do what makes you happy. If you're wanting to make games professionally you'll probably realize it's not as fun as actually playing games and you also probably won't have any say over what game you get to make. You're just going to be an underpaid and overworked programmer.

If you want to make games for yourself as a hobby though it can be really fun. Just don't be like my friend who quit his job to be an indie game dev and then spend the next 3 years working on the exact same shitty, unfinished, bug filled "game" while begging your friends for money and a place to stay.

30 is fine. Go for it and let your dream game be your drive. just dont expect to make money

I'm 30 and I've been "making" games for 20 years and I still don't have anything released yet. Just shut up and fucking get on with it.

I also want to be a level designer.

>30
>spent your entire adult life gaming instead of learning how to code
>now want to make games
If you want to learn to code, get games off your brain already.

Attached: 1536582170107.jpg (219x220, 27K)

you don't have to "learn how to code" to develop games. most game developers are shitty programmers and even shittier software engineers. approaching gamdev with a software architect's mentality is a good way to go nowhere fast. pic related

Attached: 1456497570874.png (577x518, 64K)

i just spent my morning making an awful discord bot that fills a channel with a shitload of emoji

you don't have to learn how to code

Attached: deeeer.png (600x467, 51K)

I bet you main breton

I bet he one-bar heals vmol

Go ask on 8 /agdg/. Basically just use an engine and you won't have to code (though you can, maybe to implement more complex shit) like RenPy for visual novels, RPGMaker for RPGs or Godot for other kind of games.

>still
you idiot. There never was point. You will die. Universe will die. Everything is pointless. Have fun.

Yes, you dumb motherfucker! Get that chair warmed up and begin learning and working and doing and redoing and shit! What the fuck are you waiting for? I'll torrent the courses for you if you want as long as you do it and not give up!

Yeah. Take it from a self taught guy

sit down, read the whole fucking thing.

all 1200 pages of it.

Then you can go ahead.

Attached: 1501640391935.png (540x461, 195K)

programming a 2D indie game is as simple as understanding x y coordinates and then doing math on those coordinates. You barely have to learn anything for that.

Firstly, thank you all for your responses.

However, there seems to be some conflicting advice here.

Some people are telling me to read books, others are telling me not to learn coding at all.

Once again, my interest is largely in making games, not being some brilliant software engineer.

Would you advise starting with something like Unity?

At the moment I have this book. Is it a good place to start? I know Python is dogshit and you can't make good games in PyGame. Should I skip it completely?

Once again, thanks for the feedback mateys.

Attached: python.png (597x742, 618K)

>At the moment I have this book. Is it a good place to start? I know Python is dogshit and you can't make good games in PyGame. Should I skip it completely?
GDscript is very similar to python, it's the language that godot uses and godot is the best engine for brainlets/non programmers.

Imagine you're already 60. Imagine how mad you are at your younger stupid self that few decades ago was such an undecisive piece of shit afraid to take risks. Imagine this older you appears right now in your room just to spit in your faggot face.

Do it if you know making games is more fun than playing them. You'll have to try that out first then decide later. You'll only get out of it what you put in.

Dumb frogposter.

write it first. It will tell you if you're into telling stories, and if they're any good. Only then start focusing on making videogames.
Of course this is not valid if you want to make gameplay-focused games, but zoomers these days hate games that make them actually use their brains so it wouldn't sell.

Forgive me, but what do you mean 'write it' first?

Lmao elaborate on your friend I love stories of failure. Can you link his game too or at least describe what it was about.

Heres the real trick I’m not even joking. Work a normal job. Use the money to hire some pajeets in india to make your game. You can pay them dirt cheap.

Alternatively you can learn modding and make gmod game modes or something. That way you can focus entirely on design while doing a little scripting. And you’ll see results much faster than starting from scratch.

He's assuming your project includes some sort of story. So that it's not some sandbox/puzzle/esports/simulator kind of game. Maybe it's one of those, in which case there's no point in writing.

Making is not the same as consuming, try to make something and then decide what you truly want.

bump

sad but true. farking gaming poisoned my brain so bad. its actually incredible how much i can study nowadays

It's going to become harder and harder.
The older you get, the harder it will be to learn anything in general.
That's why old people tned to be luddites. They are unable to understand technology, they get angry at it, but don't want to admit to themselves that they are no longer able to learn something new and then project their shock into anger. Basic Fox and grapes shit.

No literally every master programmer started writing code at the age of 8. You havve to be born with this great gift. Sorry, user. I guess you'll have to go back to work for Mr. Shekelberg at McCucks.

JK

Just start now you boomer. Go to freecodecamp and learn everything. Read all the articles of people who had shit jobs and then got out because they learned code. You'll be fine. Just stick with it and you'll have a great life.

Attached: wowsocute.jpg (720x1081, 75K)

What are the main advantages of using godot over unity?

holy fuck people keep giving terrible advice.

knowing how to code will help you, even if its knowing python. I've never seen that book in my life, so I can't tell you if its good, but its probably good enough.

once you get used to programming conventions in one language, you can easily learn another language. it literally does not matter where you start as long as your language is moderately popular.

Unity is fine to start because there is an abundance of resources. Godot is up and coming and is fine too. fuck even GameMaker is OK. PyGame is FINE as long as it doesn't hold YOU back from accomplishing what YOU want. really it does not matter what you pick as long as you're able to accomplish what you're looking for. I imagine you're not planning on developing some gigantic MMO or open world 3d game right?? then literally anything will work

dog

Not seeing a lot of useful advice in this thread.
Just learn anything. Pick something that interests you, really doesnt matter if it's the "right language" or "right book" - it will all help you become a good programmer.
Being a good programmer is more about the way you think than the language you use to express those thoughts.

Unity works better if you have at least a basic idea of what you're doing, you'll need to code at some point.
it's still pretty basic, most of the hard stuff is hidden from you, like pathfinding algorithms and such.

just follow their couple hours of tutorials and try to add other stuff to the games they have you make : for example, in the shmup demo, you could try to find a way to have the ship be affected by the nearest Rock's gravity or have a flashy hi-score display.

or just buy somebody else's module for 30$ if you can't figure out basic shit. some of them are probably worth it but most are stuff you really should make yourself even if it takes days.

bro no please

kickstarter.com/projects/1613280772/abomi-nation

This is the game he's been working on for the past 3 years.

Way to old to learn. Unless you are an autist. That is pretty much a requirement.

Having the ability to code is mostly genetic. Pedagogical researchers in CS have found that a large fraction of the population is inherently unable to learn, regardless of how much effort they put in or how much tutoring they receive. These people are the ones weeded out in introductory CS courses. You need to try to learn to find out if you're in that group.

I'm 20.
How do I avoid ending up like you?

Making games is still making software.
Lots of people think they want to make games when in reality they just want to be able to use a nice level editor or sandbox.

>Those colors
>Pokemon clone
>Game maker
Looks pretty shit m8, did you tell him to make a real game?

The absolute worse part about it is he refuses to learn and improve. People have offered him feedback over the general idea behind the game, the art style, I've looked at his code and realized he had no idea what he was doing so offered to do some code review for him. I gave him some simple suggestions and he told me he wasn't interested in rewriting things that were working and he just wanted me to fix the bugs he had. He continues to press on doing things the way he wants and ignores everyone's suggestions.

[citation needed]

>I don't want to be working on this for years when I could get it released early
>he's been working on it for 3 years

Attached: 1517800740181.jpg (1446x1462, 176K)

This is the dumbest shit I've read in awhile. Literal tards can learn how to program.

Thankfully he finally got a part-time job. He refuses to work full-time though since it would interfere with his game development schedule...No idea what that schedule looks like because I don't ever see this game being completed.

To be fair it looks like it's supposed to be a game for little kids, does he have any actual playtesters? Suggestions aren't really worth much, I made an educational game once and the most valuable feedback was just watching kids play it to see what they struggled with.

>To be fair it looks like it's supposed to be a game for little kids
He wasn't intending to target kids but that does seem to be his biggest "fan base". He's showed me videos of 9 year olds "streaming" themselves playing his demo like they're pewdiepie.

He's trying to make a game that appeals to people who play pokemon competitively but it's just turned into a really simple pokemon clone. He says it's actually more complex than pokemon because he's added more "natures" and the type system is "better" but it looks the same to me.

Thsnks. I will start with Python until I am more familiar with it and then try and move on to a more advanced language.

Thanks for the help.

holy shit op just fucking start making games, unity, unreal and gamemaker and (godbless you if you do this) rpgmaker are bab enough to use without much programming knowledge, and you'll pick it along the way

Life is about trying things.

Lol vidya games
Im boring of doing the same shit of programs for offices

So I try to learn some Machine Learning but failed I do not understand some points

Also I did finished my studies yet

>I just want to make games
Don't learn programming. Just get game maker studio / Unity / UE4. I mean it.

Coding sucks, working sucks.

Life is about suffering.

Here are some grammar tips for you if you want them:
>Im boring of doing the same shit
Should be "I'm bored of doing"

>So I try to learn
"So I tried to learn"

>Also I did finished my studies yet
I think you mean "Also, I didn't finish my studies yet"