Self-driving grocery delivery vehicles now on the road

supermarketnews.com/online-retail/kroger-goes-live-self-driving-delivery-vehicles

What does Jow Forums think about this? I think it's pretty neat, even if it is just a trial that's very limited in scope. I can imagine that in another 10-15 years the majority of supermarkets & grocery stores will offer home delivery services like this. Maybe in the future the self-driving delivery vehicle will deploy a smaller rover-type vehicle to ferry your groceries directly to your doorstep instead of making you meet the vehicle at the curb.

This shit does make me wonder why all this effort is being put into making road-based vehicles autonomous yet we're not hearing anything about efforts to make rail-traveling vehicles (trains) autonomous. It just seems like it would be much easier to make a train either fully autonomous or at least controlled / supervised remotely from a regional control hub where one person could monitor multiple trains at once. Maybe it's because the cost of a train operator is proportionally insignificant compared to the overall operating costs of the train itself whereas truck and delivery drivers make up a significant proportion of the cost for road based vehicle operation?

Attached: Nuro_unmanned_vehicle_Frys_Food_Store.png (770x400, 472K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xqHrTtvFFIs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You goys better stay in your house where we can monitor you and prevent communication with others

Do you actually enjoy going to the grocery store?

Americans don't do exercise. Pic related.

Attached: fatcart.jpg (236x179, 10K)

So you DO enjoy spending around an hour going to the supermarket then?

>we're not hearing anything about efforts to make rail-traveling vehicles (trains) autonomous
it's probably a non-issue cause a single person can drive a train holding hundreds of passengers while you could never make a road vehicle this large. So the costs for hiring engineers are probably irrelevant compared to energy and infrastructure maintenance.

holy shit
Fry's has FOOD now?
When did it turn into a reverse-Walmart?

No, but good quality and fast rascals are really, really hard to find when on welfare.

Attached: mobilepig.jpg (612x611, 73K)

Yes I do. I like seeing all the food and what's on sale even if I buy roughly the same shit every week.

None of this shit will ever work until it is as smart as Data from Star Trek.

People don't like getting crashed into and run over.

Attached: 1538590036307.jpg (880x660, 153K)

If sub-80 IQ "humans" can figure out how to drive then I'm sure we'll be able to program a set of algorithms to do it eventually.

All this technology to make our lives easier, so that we can spend all that free time doing... what exactly? Without purpose humans just eat and get fat.

It frees up more time for staring at our smartphones so that we can get bombarded with more targeted advertisements and buy even more unnecessary shit. I'm pretty sure that's the endgame.

This could never work in low-income areas. Fuck, it can't work in high-income areas. Niggers, and teens will be raiding these things every chance they get. Your food will never get delivered.

Attached: 1353455221481s.jpg (121x125, 2K)

>weaponized AI
>Kroger + Blackwater merger
>Raspberry Pi Blog: How one American startup attached a bushmaster AR-15 to a Mavic Pro
>ROBO CONDORS: Miami grocery kill swarms are piling up too many thief bodies. This street cleaner drone lifts the bodies away to sustainably decompose in the everglades. Like a condor. Get it?

Attached: new flag.png (1200x632, 7K)

Hmm...I think I actually want this outcome.

Attached: 1523063119168.jpg (641x530, 41K)

Did you read how it works? The thing is locked up tight until you manually enter a keycode that it sends to your phone when it arrives at the curb in front of your house.

>locked up tight
That hasn't and will never stop a determined nigger on a mission. They will steal the entire fucking thing if they have to. Most will, because they'll want to scrap it for parts.

Attached: bccf8fb586cf5cba253dd2b5abe96ee8559c1c92f9e8561c9ba24646dae636aa.gif (640x361, 1.17M)

youtube.com/watch?v=xqHrTtvFFIs

Can you re-purpose these to have a bed/bathroom? Then have the car self-drive to a disposal unit to discharge the waste?

If the "cars" are low on food, then have it call up these self-driving grocery delivery vehicles and restock them.

What more could you need?

It has cameras recording everything around the vehicle and multiple GPS units, it'll be pretty easy to find as long as the police response time is adequate. They would have to load the thing up on a truck or trailer, there's no driver controls in the vehicle.

That's retarded, just mount the gun on a retractable turret on the grocery delivery vehicle itself.

"Yo, Tyrone, a free gun!"
>It has cameras recording everything
Those will be the first things the niggers break, followed by them attaching it to a hitch and dragging it off somewhere.
>multiple GPS units
I don't think you understand how fast these cockroaches can swarm and disperse. It'll be scrapped long before law enforcement gets involved.

Attached: 1533401714068.jpg (316x317, 28K)

The eternally assmad yuro is obsessed again

This stupid,unefficient,ugly,vain and I could go on and would stab the engineer that did it right now

Is frys owned by indians? That logo is how they write in the poo language.

>self-driving grocery delivery vehicles
So all a nigger has to do is walk in front of the vehicle, the AI stops the vehicle, and the nigger can just pillage it.
Wonderful.

This sounds awful compared to the current standard delivery drivers that take the food to your door. I always make them walk the crates round the back of the house to the kitchen so I can put it away faster while they get out of there faster, I know women often get them to take it by hand to the kitchen.

What are they going to scrap though? It shares no parts commonality with any other vehicles and has no driver's seat or controls so there isn't going to be any consumer demand for the parts. They'd be reduced to selling it for scrap metal but it's so light and small that an old Honda Civic would be worth multiple times more as raw scrap metal and the civic isn't uploading real time video of the theft and GPS coordinates.

>the cost of a train operator is proportionally insignificant compared to the overall operating costs of the train itself
That, and
>higher risk (one train crash = hundreds dead = your company is out of business)
>higher upfront investment
>less impressive than self-driving cars ("hurr it's just going on a track, what's so hard about automating that?")
>smaller market

Those delivery vehicles probably more efficient than going to the store with your car though.

>fragile
>easy for attackers
>Small, cant be scalable

Its way more efficient to just pay a guy with a van to deliver packets around. Driving to the store costs zero if I do it while Im heading home, I had to pass there anyway.

If we want real automation, it will need infrastructure to exist. But honestly the cost of labor is too low to justify it

>robbed by niggers
>wrecked by drunk teenagers
>stoned by kids
>etc.