Build computers for 10+ years

>Build computers for 10+ years
>still get incredibly nervous and have shaky hands when lowering down CPU
I cant be the only one, right?

Attached: installing-cpu.jpg (700x467, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AZRusH5fGIY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Ignorant idiot here, why do you get nervous?

autism

If you don't put the CPU on the right way, the electrons will all leak out.

This isnt inaccurate.

it's delicate and expensive - you really don't want to fuck up the pins

Attached: intel-pentium-4-cpu-underbelly.jpg (1600x1066, 241K)

Aren’t you supposed to put coolant gel down first?

Don't Intel motherboards come with a plastic thing for the socket to protect the pins and make it nearly impossible to fuck up inserting the CPU?

You can get it too close to the socket because you can break nanometers

>Yo
>Palms are sweaty, fingers weak, high end graphics card in hand, arms are heavy
>There's a mess in the case already, cabling spaghetti
>Nervous but on the surface trying to stay calm and ready
>Drop CPU almost bent pins, forget it
>Chokin', how, voices in head are laughin' now
>The overclocks bum out, times up, over, blaow!
>Snap back to reality, oh there goes the motherboard
>Oh, there goes the PSU, it choked
>I'm so mad, but won't give up that easy, No
>I won't have it, I see the components smoke
>It don't matter, it can be RMA'd, I knows that, but I'm broke
>Postage is so stacked that I knows, when new parts are sent back to his basement home, that's when its
>Back to the build again yo, this whole rhapsody
>I better get it built this moment and hope it passes post

>I Better not lose screws for the VRM heatsink, (the motherboard)
>I'm holding it, magnetic screw-driver better never let it go
>Only get one shot, do not miss the mounting hole
>This opportunity comes once in a few years you better fit

Attached: 1504896491030.gif (120x131, 6K)

stale pasta

DONT DO THAT YOULL MAKE MUSTARD GAS

>be in high school at the time
>family computer was acting up
>decide im going to try to fix it
>never taken out or touched a CPU before
>decide to remove it for whatever reason maybe to unclog the dust from the fan
>go to put CPU back in
>nervous but keep going
>its not fitting
>look at the pins
>i somehow managed to bend them all
>panic because I just killed the computer
>dont tell anyone what happened just leave CPU with fan attached at bottom of case
>eventually family just throws computer out because it doesnt work

I was nervous as fr*ck when I finally built my own computer with a good CPU.

Attached: 1515876101149.png (1024x1078, 1.44M)

the thing about intel motherboards is that when you place the cpu in the socket, the pins on the motherboard arent actually touching the cpu at all yet, they only make contact when you push down the retention lever, so its really fucking hard to bend the pins via placing the cpu in the socket
AMD though, THAT is fucking nerve wracking

I remember doing that for the first time and I was expecting not putting a lot of force on it. I thought I was doing something wrong until I was like fuck it if it breaks it breaks, all those crack noises I was like I dont care then the knob went all the way down, everything works, next time I will pay the 15 buck to build it and tested option.

*crunch*

Attached: computered.png (1024x585, 967K)

that crunching noise made me almost want to kill myself when i first built a pc

Do Intel retention levers require more force as a result? When I installed my Ryzen the level went down extremely easy, I was confused because I heard people talking about how you had to use a lot of force and it sometimes makes a crunching sound but that was supposed to happen

Nah, the only thing I fucking hate anymore is installing aftermarket cpu coolers because manufacturers assume I have 4 or 5 hands.

I mean, you really have to have no clue what you're doing to bend any pins, just line up the marker corner and drop it in the slot.

Someone said building a pc is like building legos (suggesting equal difficultly) but no previous experience building a PC, let me see, didn't know CPU needed a cooler, PSU not grounded causes issue not powering on PC, parts dying out of no where, A ch memory stops working, 1080 ti (waterforce $1200 gpu) can't handle a simple 3D CAD model, delid 8700k fucked because a magnet came out of the cooler and applied excessive pressure to a corner, big tower still not big enough if you have two AIO coolers

It goes on

Just ordered an i9-9900k, vega frontier 16gb and z390 so hopefully that junk at least returns full functionality to the USB ports which 80% aren't working

its not as hard as people make it out to be, you just need to apply even pressure on the lever all the way down and then move it under the little hook thing to secure it, the worst part is it makes a god awful noise (does this less with newer motherboards thankfully) AMD lever is much easier but the pins on the cpu in my opinion are a bit sketchier than pins on the mobo

parkinsons?

Attached: 1545084130654.jpg (612x762, 93K)

no need to get nervous friendo, i've built thousands of pc's (t. microcenter employee) and i've bent pins before, just gotta use the stick part of a pen to get them back out and you're good to go, no big deal.

Will be a good rig for fortnite

>Intel CPUs
AMD CPUs use pretty sturdy pins, to the extent that I'm not worried at all about placing them. I'll even eyeball where they need to go and jiggle the CPU with my finger so it fits snug. I've intentionally bent the pins on their old single core CPUs just to bend them back to see if they would still work. They did. Your fear is making it worse.

I got really sweaty when putting the stock cooler on a Ryzen 5 1600.
It was my first build by myself and those damn screws were tough

>stick part of a pen
what part is dat

I probably spent 30 minutes on this part alone when I did my first build. I thought for sure I was doing something wrong. I couldn't imagine something like that needing so much force to fit into place. I couldn't even get it halfway down without panicking and breaking into a sweat. I googled youtube videos for like 20 minutes watching CPU insertion and most of them said it would require a lot of pressure but I still felt like I was doing it wrong and doubting myself. Finally I just got fed up and said fuck it, if it breaks it breaks, and pressed as hard as I could, listening to all the cracking and crunching. I thought for sure I did it wrong, but it booted up just fine.

the part where the ink resides

Installing cpus is almost idiot proof nowadays. What's really scary back then was installing amd durons and athlons. The design was just retarded.

Since they don't have pins anymore I don't feel nervous at all
It just drops into place on its own really

Add a bit of paste so it doesn't screech when you close the lid

Attached: thermal paste.webm (540x540, 392K)

I think the hardest part is making sure you have enough thermal paste for cooling. I started buying large tubs of the stuff cause the plunger syringe ones you get from stores were only good for like one application.

Attached: file.png (1303x691, 730K)

>tfw have actually done this before

Attached: 5a079a0e56db0.jpg (200x200, 27K)

t. GamersNexus

Wasn't this video taken down?

it sure was, at first they only disables the comments and ratings lol

I'm guessing the paste is supposed to go on top and not the pins?
t. brainlet

Any way to still watch it?

I remember thinking the PC would just not work at all the way he built it, but I don't remember details

Mounting the cooler is worse for me. Easily my least favorite part of building a PC.

It also says "Hellman's" on the plunger.

youtube.com/watch?v=AZRusH5fGIY
someone reuploaded it

Why do I get static on my headphones when I use the rear jack? I don't get static when I use the front one, which is strange since it's usually the opposite? Is it because the back one has more amp for stereos so it picks up static more?

>Tfw bought an NH-D15
>It was incredibly easy to install
lucked out

Did it boot?

Once.

>Know computers from inside out
>Both hands left so trivialties like cleaning CPU fan and putting it back without breaking thermal paste seal still take over hour

Attached: 1535076509920.jpg (895x944, 61K)

twice

Now i feel like a right brainlet

Attached: 1416023043269.gif (320x227, 2.51M)

LGA is even more fragile though. On the plus side you're "only" fucking up your mobo in instead of trashing the CPU.

Mayo is a better thermal paste than many products sold in the market.

Imagine having engineers work on your product named "Titan Connoiseur Platinum Grease" only to have it beaten by mayo.

At least "EVGA FROSTBYTE" beats mustard. Barely.

Attached: thermal paste.gif (465x871, 45K)

Pretty sure it didn't since he connected almost none of the power cables or front panel I/O. For something that's supposed to be a build guide that is kind of a big oversight, which leads me to believe the guy just didn't know he was supposed to connect anything other than the motherboard power. They probably had someone come and fix it for the last part of the video.

No modern CPU has pins dipshit

Thrice

>chocolate fags btfo
finally

Orly?

Attached: small_ryzen-cpu-top-and-bottom.jpg (626x329, 64K)

um...sweetie? AMD has pins ;)

>t. loyal intel customer

his point remains proven

>3 replies in under 20 seconds
the absolute state of Jow Forums

i dont get it

>no good cpus have pins
fixed that for him

where was his proof?

we pretend to be idiots on the internet and other people pretend they're angry about it

>calm thread
>"modern CPU"
>thermonuclear device detonated

Attached: 1291762087618.jpg (421x409, 143K)

>boomer cpus

haha i clapped when i saw this!!1

t. Silverstein

How much do you get paid to post here?

For Flight simulator and solidworks only

You are the only one

>Hellman's
Thanks, user, I needed that.

Attached: 63955651.jpg (400x400, 20K)

yeah, you should slather that shit all over the pins.

I prefer AMD.

Attached: -_-.jpg (795x720, 104K)

But accidentally bending a pin is easier when the pins are on the CPU.

I buy and sell computers on ebay
I litterally just toss the cpu in there, so long as it hits the edges of the socket there is no chance in hell it can bend the pins because that's how it was designed,

Can't be too careful with intel, their sockets are single use and pins will bind from normal usage after all.

that show is some mega unfunny shit. fucking piss off with that, you ruined my day fuck

Not really, but even if you bind a pin on a CPU it takes like 2 minutes to fix it. When a pin bends in a socket it's cheaper to replace it than trying to fix the pin.

>cooler pulls old CPU right the fuck off
>retention arm doesn't budge

Attached: shitshit.gif (160x121, 378K)

BS. If you put the CPU in vertically the pins wont bend. The socket even has fucking notches where your thumb and forefinger go as your hand moves down.

I built my PC when I was a young teen and read no instructions. 5 years later and I have no idea what I actually did to attach the cpu. Definitely didn't use cooling gel. Should I take a look at it?

>cooling gel
Were you smoking lots of pot at the time?

Some heat sinks have hardened paste stuck where it makes contact with the CPU, like Intel's boxed coolers. If you had one of those, that's fine. But do take it apart and replace it - always replace the paste if you remove the cooler.

This is how you finger a slot.

Attached: fingering_the_slot.jpg (1400x933, 752K)

remember those fucking hook-on-the-socket heatsinks you had to force into place with a big screwdriver? crunching the corners off your bare die, slipping off the spring and stabbing the motherboard?

Attached: crunch XP.jpg (2592x1488, 1.18M)

I flip the CPU like a coin above the motherboard and it lands in the socket the right way every time

pussy

based

factually wrong

Buy cheaper CPUs retard only reason to own more than a 2core is battlefield and that series is trash get a 7350k or 8350k and clock it to 5.5ghz each you can get cheaper than a motherboard

Remember when your screwdriver slips off the cooler catch and scrapes half-a-dozen surface mount components off the motherboard :(

Or you end up cutting one of the traces on the motherboard :/

Seething intel kikes

>screwdriver slips off the cooler
You wot m8. Are you screwing the cooler on with your teeth?

You don't come straight down, you lower the CPU next to the slot and move it over the slot at like a 1cm or 2 over the slot then place it down.

kek

It harks back to when processors had tiny pins that all had to slot perfectly into the holes on the cpu bed. Bend one of those pins and you'd either be cutting legs off a table trying to straighten it without bending others or you'd just thrown away the brand new most expensive part of your machine...

Shaky hands....

Anyone else here been on lino, haven't had a wrist band on and earthed a static charge onto a mainboard or capacitor?

Is that to Lose Yourself from 8 Mile?

>drop of sweat falls from your forehead onto exposed components.

Attached: yutthaphong-kaewsuk-batman.jpg (700x1000, 111K)

i miss times when we were pretending to be little girls on the internet just to realize that we are cia agents
good times..

Interesting