thanks OP

Fake thread, there's already one in the catalog

fake news

>What are you working on, Jow Forums?
file tagging to organize my anime tiddies folder

can we go here instead?

This is the good thread

haskell is the most powerful programming language

Attached: 1524442237519.jpg (600x1000, 128K)

> Mods delete the older thread with more posts
G fuckin G

MODS == GODS

nth for nim! (and the mod/janny watching over us)

based and redpilled MODS

I am newfag to Linux and have Ubuntu installed
I really want to make it so that it boots in command line on default, and I can toggle to the GUI if I want.
However, I tried editing grub, and when I use startx it gives a gimped GUI of the desktop. It also takes a while to load

This might seem pointless, but I mostly use Linux just for command line related stuff so it's useful for me to let it just boot in terminal, and have the GUI running concurrently so that I can just toggle between them as I wish. Would anyone mind helping me out in this?
If there's a package I can download that features a customizable command line, it would be better

Attached: 1531670536799.png (192x192, 43K)

f# syntax > haskell syntax

I'm making an assembly-type language for learning purposes, I managed to mature it to the point of making basic functions

Attached: isodd.png (1835x1308, 172K)

fuck frogs

which language should I pick for backend? I was thinking about CL/Hasklel/elixir

>caring about syntax

will we EVER get a performance update in software or stuff will get more and more bloated until this shit fucking explodes

0 is not a number

Are you kidding me?
Stuff has never been as performant as today,
just leave your web browser some times

Zero is the 1st natural number, you're the mathematical equivalent of a flat earther.

JavaScript rocks!

Attached: js-rocks.png (1000x494, 369K)

elixir is the easiest, especially if you need database shit.
Haskell is the most rewarding.
CL belongs in the trash.

> t. retard who hasn't taken a math class beyond high school
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set-theoretic_definition_of_natural_numbers

oh fuck wrong thread

>CL belongs in the trash.
rude!

Attached: 1543188438992.jpg (200x221, 7K)

1 % 0
Should it return 0, or not compile with an error?

>there's actually 2 of these retards

Division by 0 is not defined, compiler could wipe your harddrive and it would still be semantically correct.

That's essentially dividing by zero

return 1

That's highly language dependent.

In my language it rapes your mom

Modulo:
N = any arbitrary integer
N%0 = undefined, runtime error
N%1 = 0 for all N
N%2 = {0,1}
N%3 = {0,1,2}
N%(any arbitrary natural number} = the set of all natural numbers less than that number

why would it return 0

super deepthroat clone

systems programming language with ML syntax

Based

so ATS?

>Hes programming in X and X is not Lisp

Explain yourself right fucking now.

>he's programming in a Lisp
>that Lisp is not Shen
explain YOURself.

Let's ask javascript.

> 1 % 0
NaN

Floating point error in C

it should return e^pi

in python, this returns MoM

Man of the Match?

Attached: unknown.png (1384x295, 42K)

sometimes 0 and sometimes error

Lisp is the most powerful programming language.

why don't WE create some project TOGETHER
any suggestions?
i have some great ideas, perhaps too great

imagine if WE suddenly banded together and made a piece of software that changes the world and WE become famous

sounds great
I'll make the logo

A logo repository

Why won't they remove all the bloat and leave only rendering engine?

Attached: 1_9ce5Yft8Cqg3Vt63pVGNkw.png (1200x648, 60K)

>we're using C
>no we're using Rust
>no we're using C++
>C++
>Rust
>C
>no we're using Lisp
>Lisp
>Lisp
>Lisp
great work, glad we did that.

no

i was thinking of a distributed project, where a group of individual programmers combine results in some clever way to create something whole
see how that's not a problem?

You're certainly not the first to try, and your efforts are going to fail in exactly the same way.

Jow Forums is only capable of criticism

WE

Why does dividing by infinity give the dividend, shouldn't it give 0 or at least NaN.

how is it performant? everything is being built on top of everything and hardware have improved significantly over the years but computers dont get THAT much faster.
the only exception is probably games because people care about performance but how the hell does a browser need more than 4gb? its a fucking browser for gods sake, bunch of fking xml

there was a project, netrunner and look what happened to it
its fucking dead

>but how the hell does a browser need more than 4gb?
Most of it is probably caching and GC

youtube.com/watch?v=kZRE7HIO3vk relevant talk from handmade hero guy

based

having million lines of code doesnt have anything to do with performance, because most of that is just because we have many drivers and applications.
for instance, if you never use an audio, then no matter how shitty our audio drivers are, it wont matter
what i want is for us to spent a year or so and just stop adding shit on top on this garbage and stop adding stupid features no one needs.
for instance, look at firefox, why the fuck do i need Pocket for? why are we spending programming time to add features no one uses.

>doesnt have anything to do with performance,
it literally, directly does.

How do I reduce my programs CPU usage without purposefully crippling it with sleeping/slow IO while accomplishing the same task?

Quick question (out of curiosity). Does the "extern" linkage command exist in Java like in C++ in order to "share access" to the same instance of a class/object among different classes/scopes?
>not even sure if I was clear, srry

public

I mean the equivalent command.

idk man, maybe you weren't born 10 years ago.
also like said, having a slow internet connection doesn't hurt as much as it used to in a lot of cases.
Just 5 years ago, updating and building all my installed software probably took twice as much time.

I use pocket

how? my cpu never iterates over application that i dont have open? most of that billion lines of codes are due to linux needing to support mips, arm and the rest.
how does a change in the arm part of linux affect me exactly?

Optimize for time over space. And even when memoizing a result to memory would be slower than recomputing the result, do it anyway.

So if I write a million line abstraction for fizzbuzz, you're really going to argue it's as performant as a direct one?

WUZ

The #LOC does not say anythign about wht the compiler turns it into...

int bigAbstractionAroundAddition(int a, int b) {
return a+b;
while(true) {
// one million lines of code
}
}

afaik if im writing abstractions, the compiler should be smart enough to remove that abstractions?
but other than that, i see your point.

Yes it does. Have deep enough abstractions and the compiler won't bother to go that deep.
youtube.com/watch?v=s4wnuiCwTGU

>in java everything is in classes so no shit headers/sources with isolated fields
yeah, thx. Im a dumb beginner.

If it does compile, the result of executing it should be SIGFPE.

just make sure to check for null pointer exceptions.

Okay, so we all agree we're using Lisp. Which Lisp?

this
more than 3 function calls = bloat

Common Lisp is Lisp you fucking hipster

How about this idea for error handling: Implicit if err then goto

void sample()
{
first(), err;
second(), err;

return;

err:
puts("On no :( Something happened");
}

Can someone recommend a c++ book to someone who has experience as a programmer in C, Python and Rust? I'm mostly interested in modern language features.

Don't bother with that trash-fire of a language.

Anything by strousup

>tfw current project has so much recursion that I've forgotten how to write normal loops

That's bullshit, but I believe it.

tfw haven't written a single loop in 2k18

I read that the difference is that consteval are guaranteed to result in a compile-time constant (so like preprocessor macros but not shit), whereas constexpr are... theoretically compile-time constant but only if the compiler feels like it?
What sort of situation would lead to a constexpr function being evaluated at runtime?

I've decided to integrate a bison parser into a command line tool I've been using to give a bit more flexibility to what it can do (basically I want to specify custom data filtering options which could be pretty complex as an argument). I haven't really used flex/bison much before so it's a learning experience for me on that front as well, and I feel I need some advice on best practices.

I've made a little prototype for the functionality and it works, but I end up basically doing some heavy processing in the parser itself. Is it better practice to simply build some sort of abstract syntax tree in the parser and output that, and then do the actual filtering/processing in the program proper (i.e. outside the parser) by walking that tree?

Anyone have experience selling software? I've been trying to sell a real estate program I've developed and I've been sending emails out to my local realtors, but I'm not getting anything back. Does anyone know what I can do? It's not consumer software so I can't just market it out to the real world and these realtors aren't giving any call backs :( please I need some advice, I'm desparate at this point

You're supposed to develop software by commission. Don't make it until you've already sold it.

Step one is networking and ensuring the market wants what you're developing before you develop it.

Meet them in person and ask them to explain why the fuck it's so hard to call someone back
that kind of assertiveness is what sells, don't be a pussy. Make sure to have a rock solid handshake too or they are going to continue disrespecting you.