Who here has their devkit?

Attached: IMG_1300.jpg (1280x641, 468K)

Other urls found in this thread:

puri.sm/products/librem-5/
puri.sm/posts/librem5-solving-the-first-fsf-ryf-hurdle/
sgnl.link/1KpeYmF
emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsOnAndroid
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Native Linux phone that isn't a part of the Google botnet, doesn't have proprietary blobs, and only uses open spec hardware.

Attached: IMG_1301.png (261x460, 94K)

Have you preordered yours? Ships April 2019.

puri.sm/products/librem-5/

Hmmm...

Attached: big_think.jpg (106x62, 4K)

Someone is finally making Jow Forums's dream phone:
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SHILL SHILL

Attached: IMG_1281.png (733x464, 59K)

this

>Ships April 2019
I'm sure.

How much app support will the TrannyPhone get?

>only makes 3 of the phones
heh, better pre-order it. supplies are limited, goy

>TRANNYEM
>PUREAUTISM

Is Jow Forums their only target demographics?

It will run anything that runs on Linux. You can install Gentoo on it. You can connect it to a screen and use it as a Linux desktop computer with keyboard and mouse. Purism is working with GNOME and KDE and upstreaming their code to bring GNOME and KDE apps to the phone. Someone is working to bring Android app support through Anbox (although this is not an Android phone). Purism is also working with Monero (the cryptocurrency) and Matrix.org to bring native clients to the phone.

Attached: IMG_1302.jpg (768x432, 49K)

would give it a try if there were any specs to show
obviously you can't expect 8gb-tier shit like you are from flagship phones, but you need some info specially if this is intended for developers

According to some interviews they are planning on maxing the RAM based on whatever the CPU will be. The display res will be atleast 1080P. But I agree, a better spec list would be nice before spending $ 600

Not me.
I still believe it's a bad idea to not focus on liberating Android instead. But welp, let's hope it goes well.

>doesn't have proprietary blobs
puri.sm/posts/librem5-solving-the-first-fsf-ryf-hurdle/
>In U-Boot there are a number of firmware blobs that need to be loaded into the DDR PHY so that it can be trained to work with DDR4

the obvious shilling ITT and board makes me feel sceptical in trusting these cunts

The first two replies literally read like a fucking commercial. It's just another boring iClone with a different shitty operating system on it and no applications or real developer support that's still going to be connected to a megacorporate/government-managed cellular network that can triangulate your position at any time.

>no hardware buttons
it's shit

How is the Librem 13?

They're using a 4 core iMX8 CPU and 3GB RAM, 32GB storage. 720p screen.
>better spec list would be nice before spending $ 600
They have it on their site, stop spreading misinformation and overselling the phone.

Android is dogshit and the only reason it's tolerated is because it's the best option right now.

>They're using a 4 core iMX8 CPU and 3GB RAM, 32GB storage. 720p screen
Yikes. Definitely not for 2018.

There's nothing wrong with the specs except the 600$ price point. Should be up to 400, no more.

Have you even read what the concept and the main idea behind this device is? It's not even certain if it will see the light of day.

Various Xiaomi devices with far superior specs and support for custom ROMs/microG cost around $200. Let's see if the Librem phone ever gets released. There have been how many delays so far, two?

Currently our best option is just getting an Siii or Note II (2012 devices) and installing Replicant.

We're fucked m80s.

It will be dead on arrival
screenshot this

>developing new platform costs 0$

I'll believe it when I see it. I doubt the project will gain any serious momentum, however.

This. Use a dumbphone or an iPhone (lesser of two evils) and swap out sim cards regularly if you're concerned about your privacy. It really won't help much though, ideally you shouldn't use a phone at all, but try pulling that off nowadays.

Unless you turn the cellular modem off with the hardware kill switches.

It would be pretty fucking based if someone actually created a hardware kill switch in the form of a mute toggle. Sounds like a fun project.

Whats the benefit over a fairphone 2 with sailfish os?

I recently did. Purism will crank up the price in early 2019. I'm not expecting it to be my main phone anytime soon, but I hope it will. Either way I will have a sleek Linux device to play with (maybe), and I am supporting something I believe in.

The SoC was specifically chosen based on being able to use free software drivers

The benefit of Librem 5 would be the built-in privacy features.
The benefit of Fairphone with Sailfish OS would be the fairness+OSS.

I'm divided between the two. A Fairphone is not as expensive.

I still use a dumbphone and never owned a smartphone. I wish I could find a way to hack it, just to change the fucking background.

I don't believe the Librem 5 is a worse option than an S3 with Replicant.

Why is no one here reading about this fucking phone? It has hardware kill switches.

This is a proper GNU/Linux. It's PureOS, which is an FSF-approved fork of Debian. You can run real programs on it. Sailfish may be an improvement over Android, but it's not entirely free and it's still not a proper GNU/Linux distro.

Do they ship to Europe for a reasonable price?

>Xiaomi is cheap
No shit. Xiaomi is permanently backdoored and it's on fucking android. And it doesn't have hardware killswitches.

They've always had free global shipping. Don't know if they still do since they've changed the site several times.

The librem 5 has 3 hardware kill switches

No shipping cost to Norway a couple of days ago when I ordered, atleast. I suspect there will be taxes though, but not until you receive it.

>Xiaomi is permanently backdoored
You're going to have to provide a hell of a source for this. It's been proven that it has been backdoored software wise, everyone can see telemetry system apps, I'm not asking about that.
>and it's on fucking android.
Uh, yes it is? What should it have been on? iOS? Surely that isn't compromised.
>And it doesn't have hardware killswitches
And neither does any smartphone period. The fate of Librem 5 is still uncertain.

I've never ordered from the US. I've had people tell me they charge around 50 euros extra for the import costs. Does that sound correct? What did you pay?

a mate of mine once had to pay 150 euros extra for ordering headphones from America. live in begium

(((Gnome)))

Jow Forums is not the only freetards community, retard

Only phone app I care about is signal. Took enough effort to get most friends off whatsapp/messenger onto Signal. While matrix.org is cool doubt I'll be able to get everyone to swap again.
If they can't run signal no sale

Replicant is a meme. Still requires proprietary blobs to boot, firmware for the modem, and has no wifi/bluetooth drivers.

I feel sorry for your friends

Will u be my friend user?

>and has no wifi/bluetooth drivers
Fucking kek

Looks like they don't do anything for a reasonable price.

it looks 2016-ish. kinda ugly

>try pulling that off nowadays.
I haven't owned a phone in six years, and I get by just fine. If I ever do buy another one though, it'll be this thing.

>I get by just fine
What line of work are you in? Do you just have a landline for talking to friends/family or not even that?

>work
>friends/family
You're a funny guy.

Attached: 1543042835697.jpg (500x666, 30K)

Bruh, that’s exactly what they have on this phone. Did you not read the site?
They do this on their laptops too for the webcam and mic

>What should it have been on? iOS?
Linux.

>no EGPU
its trash, a device that can be connected to a monitor should at last have a pcie port on their pcbs everything else is just a masive meme.

If the pre requisite for being able to get by without a phone is being unemployed with no personal relationships, then I don't really consider that a viable option.

Pussy.

Just imagine how choppy GNOME must be running on a phone.

This board is for successful professionals in the technology industry. I think the board you're looking for is

>This board is for successful professionals in the technology industry
Funniest thing I've read all day.

Attached: 1544895733365.jpg (267x323, 7K)

No, this board is for loli wallpapers and getting your arch installation to use as few packets as possible.

Well. No shit. What do we got here, a fucking comedian.
Hell I like you, you can come over to my house and watch me fuck my sister.

>This board is for successful professionals in the technology industry
I fucking wish it was

i would of probably preordered this phone if they had kept the 5" screen
what kind of ogre hands do people have to justify 5.7" screens with gigantic bezels

Attached: 1525978947876.png (722x720, 554K)

>Android is dogshit and the only reason it's tolerated is because it's the best option right now.
Elaborate. How is AOSP or LOS 'dogshit'?

BUT IT STILL USES BLOBS
WHAT THE FUCK IS ITS PURPOSE IF IT
STILL
FUCKING
USES
BLOBS
L
O
B
S

RUN 4 UR LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVES

Attached: 1517636161808.jpg (580x881, 144K)

For $600, they need to get as many developers making native mobile apps as possible. The idea of using it as a desktop is interesting, but anyone can get an affordable mini desktop PC for a lower price. It needs to also be able to compete in the mobile software space if it doesn't want a similar fate to Windows Phone, which also had desktop functionality but had difficulty attracting mobile app developers.

Thats perfectly usable, lower res is a good thing for reducing gpu load and increasing battery life
also the selling point jsnt having the biggest numbers you retard, its entirely being sold because freedom

Generally people think it is overpriced and straddle inbetween the line of what they claim they care about vs. modern functionality.

>Freedom
You'll be using an SIM card regardless.
>Muh kill switches
Then it wouldn't be a phone now, would it?

>lower res is a good thing for reducing gpu load and increasing battery life
Couldn't have mustered up a 1080p one in this day and age? Seems unlikely. Also that is clearly a low end CPU, so battery life shouldn't be a problem.
>also the selling point jsnt having the biggest numbers you retard
Thank you for that unnecessary insult.
>its entirely being sold because freedom
I know that, but there have been two delays so far and these are another concerns:
I don't want it to fail, but these are odd choices.

Why don't YOU get it to run ?

I'm completely clueless to anything related to technology. Is it possible for android applications to run on this phone natively?

Xiaomi was funded by a friend of winnie the pooh, go figure

>TrannyPhone
what?

Attached: 26F8675800000578-3011965-Warning_The_PDSA_says_obesity_is_exploding_within_the_dog_popula-m-21_14273 (634x785, 96K)

Android apps don't even run "natively" on Android since they run in a JVM (although JIT compilation is a thing so it can be argued it's native). This phone is not an Android phone but someone is working on adding Anbox support which would let you run Android apps.

Honestly i would love a phone that can run emacs and a Bluetooth or USB keyboard natively

I was only charged the original price. The extra price when it arrives depends on your contrys tax policy. In Norway there is a 25% fee off the original price to import stuff from other countries.

sgnl.link/1KpeYmF

i think it’s oss, right? the protocol should be open i think? so it shouldn’t be a problem. has better chances of getting a port than whatsapp anyway

Can't Android already do both of those?

emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsOnAndroid

Attached: android-emacs-result.png (768x1280, 139K)

It's actually mostly AOT ever since Dalvik got replaced by ART. The compilation happens when you install the app

That's funny because if it's on Android it means it's already on Linux, given that Linux is the Android's kernel.

>smartphone with lmaonoapps and 2016 design

>Took enough effort to get most friends off whatsapp/messenger onto Signal.
>moving from one centralized service to another, slightly less evil, centralized service.
How did you manage to fuck up this badly?
XMPP is a thing, you know?

GNU/Linux you fucking autist.

> Promised to max out the RAM
3GB
> Promised that the screen res will be AT LEAST 1080p
> 720p
kek

>Unless you turn the cellular modem off
When? Unless you do this religiously (you won't) interested parties will have more than enough data to build a profile on you over time, at worst they might not have complete data on your preferred routes to a given place if you keep it off while driving.

A smartphone is a tracking device no matter what operating system it runs or what trendy crowdfunded company with a pretentious name sells it. If you're actually important enough to need a privacy-oriented device, this is just a fucking waste of money. Buy burner phones and dispose of them as needed, or better yet, don't use a fucking phone at all as said if you're worried about being tracked to the point that you would waste flagship money on this shitty money grab.

>and has no wifi/bluetooth drivers
then why bother using a smartphone when there are no drivers available for basically what makes it a smartphonee?

signal? isn't that the app that requires you to have a cell phone number, provide it, and isn't decentralized at all?

normies might use it but this phone is for people who care about privacy. it uses matrix, but sounds like that isn't for you.

And how do I know I can trust this company? What's stopping them from acting nice at the start then turning evil like Google?
Do I just take their word for it?
Ofc I don't know enough to build a phone by myself or else I would've done it already.
Maybe there's a botnet part or 2. Or maybe the botnet is in the proprietary bios.

Attached: 53092615.gif (379x440, 140K)

Sure, but the botnet. Also is it as customizable on Android as it is on a computer?

>no notch
disgusting tbqh

Who the fuck cares, it's just a fucking screen in your pocket

I guess they just need a notch and no headphone jack.