/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: grav-mass.png (450x600, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tools.suckless.org/quark/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

whats the point of using daemon mode?

What are some keys that i can bind to my mouse that ARE NOT ALREADY IN USE ON A STANDARD 105 KEY US KEYBOARD.
I have bound f13-24, but i need another 12 keys. I've tried using all the modifiers but they do NOT generate seperate keysyms.

Faster and consumes less memory, I'm told.

How many fucking buttons does your mouse have?

Logitech g600
Standared 2 buttons + 3 mouse buttons(rocker and middle click)+ 12 side buttons + 2 top buttons, it has a hardware switch that acts as a modifier that allows every button on the mouse to be duplicated when this hardware switch is pressed. That is what im looking for now, a second set of 12 seperate keysyms.

i dont think theres really much of a difference
the downside with daemon mode is that if the daemon crashes all urxvt instances will also crash
personally i only ever have 1-3 terminals opened at once i dont think theres any real reason for using daemon mode

Yeah I knew about the crashing thing. I copied these dotfiles from an old rig where I was trying to get every little optimization I could come across.
So far it hasn't bit me in the butt and I'm too lazy to edit two lines in the i3 config file

If you use a LOT of terminals, it's gonna be faster and will use slight less memory.
I personally have urxvt on all my machines and only on one do I use it in daemon mode (unsurprisingly, the only machine where I use a terminal emulator extensively) - it's great.
Really useful for scripting shit too (shared base...).

Why would you even use more than two terminals open?

ncmpcpp, various stuff opened in lynx, ssh to server (with an irssi instance) and so on and so forth.
I know that GNU Screen exists (and I do use it elsewhere), but on my desktop PC I have two screens and enough oomph in it that it's more convenient to have multiple workspaces with different terminals.

tmux > screen

What is better about it? I mean GNU Screen "just werks", so, I never bothered.

Please avoid non-copyleft software, user. It doesn't protect your freedoms.

Attached: rms.jpg (960x640, 398K)

Retarded phrasing incoming:
Is there any possible way to use one big monitor as 2/more displays?

Rephrased:
I have a big-ass TV which I don't use for shit. I don't want a screen the size of my wall. How can I "partition" the screen into multiple tiles so that it would act as, let's say, a 4x4 monitor grid?

Attached: 1544301529991.jpg (640x730, 45K)

Tmux is a much more versatile, customizable tool with tons of more features. You can create splits, windows etc as well as workspaces. Honestly there is so much you can do with it. I recall that screen can have some issues with non ASCII characters and the like as well.

i3 would be "last resort", I'm not the greatest fan of tiling wm's just yet.

Tmux's license is approved by the FSF.

Which means it is overpowered for what I need.
I'll stick to GNU Screen for the meantime, maybe check out tmux if needed later.

is that batik?

> Faster
Not normally. Maybe if you're applying a heavy perl script to output.
> consumes less memory
Memory is normally copy on write between different processes, so daemon mode looks a lot more efficient than it is if you measure memory usage by RSS alone. If you use smem's PSS metric, it doesn't look a lot better than xterm until you have 4 or 5 terminals open. Far worse than st if you're delegating scrollback to tmux in both cases.

*different instances of the same process

Just use a DE that supports snap-to corners. KDE or XFCE would work.

and what about the "everything is too big" aspect of having everything scale to the size of an 81" screen?

I'm already using XFCE like that, only with normal sized screens.

Xfce*

You mean the resolution? You can't increase pixel density beyond what the screen physically supports. You should be able to divide a 4k screen into four 1080p screens. Is that still too "big"?

abduco + dvtm

BIG BIG BIG FUCKUP:

I did a:
sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /home/myUser

Now ofc everything in my home dir is byebye.
Wat do, how do I restore my shit?

Unmount it, you can have data in a folder before mounting it and then when you mount it it dosent override it

Nuked fortunately only a few folders of my home directory trying to delete a folder named '~'. At least I have backups.

Attached: 1544613710808.png (528x694, 352K)

This post makes me feel uncomfortable; please delete it.

how

No. In fact im going to create useless directories named '~' in projects I make so others can share my pain.

Attached: Devilish_4a1cb5_6238404.jpg (470x595, 78K)

retard here
what's a good distro that makes it easy to set up drivers etc for playing games through lutris/wine?

Ubnutto

umount /dev/sdc1

I'm trying to DKMS a wifi driver. Problem: I have linux headers for 4.19.8 and my kernel is 4.19.4. Do I gotta update the kernel on my data plan before I can DKMS this wifi driver? Can I downgrade the headers to 4.19.4?

if you have headers for a kernel newer than the current one you're on then that would usually mean theres a kernel upgrade or that you need to reboot into the newer one
otherwise if your on debian based distro you can just do something like
sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

how do I set different Xft.dpi settings for different applications. I have a GTK3 application where the text is far too small, is it possible to change the xft.dpi for only one application? I tried GTK_DPI_SCALE=2
GTK_SCALE=2 however these only worked in xfce and I only use i3 with no DE. Changing the Xft.dpi worked but it made the other applications far too big. I am also using Debian if that helps.

GDK_SCALE=x "your application"

this worked, thank you

starting X with startx takes a fuckton of time. It just hangs there showing a black screen. I'm using i3 which should be pretty lightweight.
Any clue on where to look to improve it?

Have a look at `dmesg` and `systemd-analyze blame` maybe. Also, get an SSD if you haven't already.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

>tfw tried to install gentoo over the last 3 days on my free time
>tfw was almost done configuring the bootloader and about to boot up and then realized that the configuration etc had only just begun
>tfw gave up and installed fedora+xfce

Has anyone used both i3-gaps and awesome? How do they compare?

Configuration for i3 is much easier and support is better. Awesome has some nice features like auto tiling.

I added the universe repo to apt and ran apt-get update
It found the package but I got a bunch of permission denied error.
Then I ran apt-get upgrade.
And it worked just fine to install the package then.

Why?

One is a semi-manual tree based WM and the other is dynamic. I would pick herbsluftwm over i3 to represent the tree school. i3 is way overhyped.

I rented myself an arch vps
whats some neat stuff I could host on it?

folding@home client

centos

Is Debian a beginner-friendly distro? Or at least friendly enough for those with a bit of experience?

Where does MX fit in?

>The Linux Mint team have published an update to the distribution's 19.x series. The new release, Linux Mint 19.1, is based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and is available in three flavours: Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce. Apart from some visual and performance improvements to Cinnamon, Linux Mint also makes it easier to report bugs and help developers fix problems:

>"When software crashes tools such as mintreport produce a stack trace our developers can look at to understand the cause of the crash. This is the first step towards fixing such a bug. For the stack trace to be meaningful, users need to have debug symbols installed. In an effort to reduce bandwidth for their mirrors, Debian decided to move debug symbols outside of the main repositories. This decision affected not only Debian and LMDE but also Ubuntu and Linux Mint and made it much more difficult for users to install these symbols. To simplify this process, support for debug symbols was added into the Software Sources tool. Adding debug symbol repositories can now be done with a click of the mouse."

Thoughts?

Attached: cinnamon.png (1920x1200, 1.09M)

I don't use it, but it sounds pretty good.

Did that, thanks.
But the "how" was more along the lines of "how does linux do that magic?"

Waifu2x based anime upscaler

It doesn't have a dedicated GPU afaik, so my local solution with CUDA is probably faster
this looks like something I could do, thanks!
>

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-12-20 20-47-11.png (758x304, 43K)

What kind of hardware is recommended for the best Void experience?

Because mounting just assigns the address for the data at that device. Unmounting returns the original address to the original data. Nothing is overwritten.

Is there an easy way to make a whole computer's file system accessible over a local network? Samba and NFS seem more involved than I feel like should be necessary. Is there some application that can mount a machine with a local IP as a mass-storage device?

Attached: 9ba.jpg (480x480, 59K)

Nything but nVidia.

I'm torn between installing Arch and Mint. I want to install Arch, but I've read that updating can be a pain in the ass.

>arch vps
won't it be a pain to keep updated and working at the same time

The 'difficult' (if you can't read or follow written instruction) part with Arch is the installation, especially the manual disk partitioning. Updating is as easy as it gets.

The difficulty isn't what's bothering me, as I'm willing to put time into learning. What I want to know is whether updating is a lenghty process. Might as well try it for a bit I guess.

Updating consists of
typing pacman -Syu, typing your password and waiting for a few seconds depending on the speed of your internet connection.

> mom, cancel my meetings
> pacman fucked up ssh again

Maybe I fell for memes then. Thanks user.

don't think so. the only things that ever got fucked on my local arch installations was either xserver not working after updating nvidia driver or something happening to grub, which is usually fixed after running grub-mkconfig

>or something happening to grub
>on a vps
Doing constant config merges on a VPS is stupidly dangerous.

if SSH fucks up just go in over VNC and fix SSH

Rolling release systems like Arch Linux are a bad idea for several reasons:
1. More updates with less testing will always cause problems. 20% of the updates will just be reverting previous botched updates.
2. Everything will break if you wait too long between mandatory full-system updates.
3. Config file management requires more effort. You need to make sure your apps don't suddenly break backwards compatability, and you need to merge global config files with your local changes.
4. Local software will need to be constantly re-compiled and linked to new libs. This includes practically everything in the AUR.
5. Breakage could happen at any time, rendering your system unusable. A stable distro would only have issues after a biennial upgrade.

>20% of the updates will just be reverting previous botched updates
citation needed

>Everything will break if you wait too long between mandatory full-system updates.
citation needed

Running Arch on a server probably isn't a very good idea, but it's definitely not as bad as you make it sound.

What is the official brainlet-friendly distro of /flg/? Mint? Ubuntu?

Yes

fedora is pretty decent

What's grav-mass? Is this some communist holiday?

Is there any real benefit to using i2p over Tor?

Is there any real reason I shouldn't feel safe buying drugs using Tails?

Attached: manga-anime-softcore-2.jpg (811x1148, 125K)

Or just, I don't know, use a proper server OS where config changes are imposed on a schedule 5-10 years apart.

Just came here to say Mint 19.1 is pretty fucking good, the performance improvements in the new version of Cinnamon and Nemo are fucking great, the animations run at smooth 60fps even on my shitty laptop.
They finally added more colour variants for the new theme, usability improvements like a icon spacing grid slider for the desktop and other things you don't even notice at first glance.
Thank you based Mint developers.

Attached: 1526359628907.png (716x520, 387K)

Do i risk data loss/corruption if I have an external luks drive and i unmount / luksClose it and then power off the enclosure?

It's not mounted so i cannot imagine it could..

No, you should be fine. umount syncs automatically.

Ubuntu is minimum reasonable effort. Mint will make you think you know what you're doing until the next major release. Fedora is also good but slightly higher research.

Is there a way I can play video input via a USB port through the default Media Player (aka, the one literally just called Media Player)?
I'm using a laptop that runs on GNU/Linux Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon.

I'm setting up a Linux HTPC for my parents for Christmas. What are some protips to make sure they don't fuck it up?

If you eliminate the parents, you eliminate the potential for a problem.

>1. More updates with less testing will always cause problems.
Not only does Arch devs have a testing repo, the upstream developer did their own testing cycle before pushing an update.
>2. Everything will break if you wait too long between mandatory full-system updates.
This can be said for any distro. If you have fedora 10 and you're trying to update to fedora 29, you're gunna have a bad time. Also why wouldnt you update your ROLLING RELEASE DISTRO once a month?
>You need to make sure your apps don't suddenly break backwards compatability, and you need to merge global config files with your local changes.
Again, this happens with every distro. If you update a milestone and dont replace oold syntax, you're gunna have a bad time. Pacman makes .pacnew files that you can easily DIFF to see what has changed and if you need to change anything.
>4. Local software will need to be constantly re-compiled and linked to new libs. This includes practically everything in the AUR.
Again, even ubuntu has had programs update ICU and get libs go missing due to it. Using makepkg is easy as fuck.
>practicly everything in the aur
Use static libs? Quite easy to do in a PKGBUILD.
>5. Breakage could happen at any time, rendering your system unusable. A stable distro would only have issues after a biennial upgrade.
Breakage can happen on any distro, see a reoccuring theme here? If you dont have time to deal with potential conflicts, dont update. Once a month is more then enough to maintain an arch install. You should also have backups before you made those changes, this is part of standard system management. Something breaks? Revert the changes and now you have a working install. Check the logs to what could have happened and check the forums if anything has been reported

mount /dev/sdc1 /home
>point the /home directory at /dev/sdc1
umount /dev/sdc1
>/home no longer points to /dev/sdc1
>points back to /home

What about Debian?

I wonder why all beginner friendly distros tend to join the botnet.

Attached: 1545344085818.png (720x1193, 212K)

is there something like tools.suckless.org/quark/ but for ftp?
all i need it to do is serve files from the current directory

The packages in Debian stable tend to be too old to make a useful desktop. Unless your hardware is ancient. Some people use desting / unstable as a rolling release distro, but they're not strictly intended to be that and kind of suck at it.

python3 -m http.server 8080

You're retarded. Thanks.

Ah, so it is communist holiday

You need to go back.

You're so predictable, go away