Why is atx still the standard for pc builders?

why is atx still the standard for pc builders?
what could you possibly need six pcie slots for?

Attached: serveimage.jpg (644x850, 648K)

not everyone is a manchild using their PC only to play games

gaymers

It isn't

so most people need 2 graphics cards, a 10gbe nic and a extra sound cad?

Well I'm using 3 right now. I'm also using all 8 of my ram slots.

why would you want less ports if the cpu allows all those lanes?

>Insert GPU onto the MB
>Immediately lose 3 slots
Nothing personal, kid.

>Want to add a single PCIe expansion card
>Can only use the bottom slot otherwise it'll fuck up with GPU fans

What I dislike about modern motherboards is that all the utility is on the board now.
There's no real option for customization.
Something onboard fail?
Yeah, you can get a new card to replace it, but the bad component is stuck on that board.
There forever.

nah
how often do you see broken mobo nics or sound cards

Attached: serveimage.jpg (644x481, 364K)

>gpu
>sound card
>capture card
>network card for ultra fast m.2

>implying every new motherboard chipset release isn’t exclusively ATX boards

Not all PCI devices are single slot width.

Some are 2 or even 3 slots wide. If you want multiple different sized PCI devices available, you need to have more PCI connections available than you expect to be devices installed in order to meet the most configurations reasonably likely in a consumer PC.

tldr; better safe than sorry, and you're not exactly saving a ton of money by removing the PCI slots.

Funny how OP's first sentence exclusively uses the word _standard_ and people are trying to justify ATX being "the standard" with _fringe_ use case scenarios.

Almost everyone buys ATX by default and almost everyone of them never put anything more than a GPU in it, they don't even utilize the rest of the PCI-E lanes by using the fucking M.2 slot. Period.

The point is you aren't saving a significant amount of money by not having PCI slots.

They cost a couple bucks total at most.

You already need several layer PCB with proper VRMs and VRM cooling, adding some PCI slots with PCI traces isn't going to be a particularly expensive part of the manufacturing.

So why WOULDN'T they just include it standard unless someone specifically wants a smaller form factor?

My capture card, my 2 GPU's my 2 network cards, my 2 m.2 SSD's multiple hard drives and my massive Mushroom cooler ain't gonna fit in a ITX build is it?

Attached: IMG_20181219_175347.jpg (5312x2988, 1.9M)

>sound card
Buy a proper external DAC

That's such a typical first world argument; "get the most amount of features that still fits my budget, even if I end up not using most of it". It's like buying a fucking SUV so you can go grocery shopping with it.

A conscious shopper goes for the features he needs, not the "most bang for his buck". Overshooting on features you end up not utilizing just makes you look like a consumer whore.

Alright, instead of $180 for an ATX board, go buy an mATX board with the same features but 1/4 of the PCI slots and it costs $170.

Big fucking deal

> why is atx still the standard for pc builders?
Now, don't gasp, but EATX is standard for servers.

You don’t need all that shit
Just build an itx pc and use external devices
also
>using hdds
what the fuck are you too poor to have all your storage exclusively on NVMe m.2?
Please sir build an itx system and compromise on everything so I can feel better my itx system I have to build because my parents are divorced and I live between 2 small shithole houses

>use external devices
consumer chipsets don't exactly have an abundance of USB lanes available.

show me one that allows for multiple simultaneous digital inputs
thing is that it shouldn't be like that
point being?

That's exactly what I'm doing and it is a big deal, because apply the same mindset to all of your purchases and you end up saving several hundred burgerbucks.

>what could you possibly need six pcie slots for?
this, gib more m.2 slots

>thing is that it shouldn't be like that
fuck off, you have no idea what goes into the R&D and manufacturing of motherboards.

It's trivial to add PCI slots in terms of cost to the manufacturer.

Why the fuck do you think ITX and mATX both cost basically the same, if not MORE than a similar specced ATX board? It's because the size of the board, and the PCI slots add almost NOTHING to the final cost.

kill you are self.

Fuck that, M.2 slots can only be used for 2 or 3 things.

PCIe slots can be used for any number of devices, including M.2 drives.

I wish geforce and radeon cards would have single slot editions, now only the pro cards come with single slot coolers.
Fucking jews.

ATX isn't going nowhere and won't be replaced by mini ITX/mATX, considering the standard is used by big boys. I think the push should come from the most powerful segment, if they don't need it - average PC won't need it as well.

>what the fuck are you too poor to have all your storage exclusively on NVMe m.2
nice bait, I'll bite.
largest NVMe m.2 I can find are 2TB.
Max slots checked out of sockets: 1151v2, 2066, AM4 and TR4 is 4 M.2 slots.
That's a maximum amount of 8TB

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-20 Solid State Drives (SSD) im Preisvergleich.png (673x958, 143K)

Related nics are fine for normal use but if you wanted to build a home sever Intel nic is better, dual gpus are kinda dying I agree, and some people with really nice surround or headphones like audio cards

M.2 drives just use standard PCIe lanes. Just because the most M.2 slots included on a motherboard is 4 doesn't mean you can't use more than 4 M.2 drives in a system.

Socket 2066 or socket TR4 would both have the ability for 16TB+ in M.2 storage.

oh okay. learned something new I guess

Yup, X299 socket 2066 has 24 PCIe lanes on the chipset, and with a higher end CPU will have 44 or 48 more PCIe lanes provided by the CPU.

Giving you a maximum total of 68-72 PCIe lanes available for use.

NVMe M.2 drives us 4 PCIe lanes for full bandwidth. Meaning a maximum of 16-18 M.2 drives are possible at the same time, assuming you have no other PCIe devices in use. Though realistically, you would need to reserve at least x1 or x4 lanes for a graphics card since X299 doesn't have an integrated GPU like consumer CPUs.

So realistically you're looking at a maximum of 15-17 M.2 drives, the largest NVMe M.2 drive is the Samsung PM983, at 3.83TB. So 57.45-65.28 TB total.

>save few bucks for buying a small mobo
>spending tenfold on SSD/NAS

I have a 9TB NAS for non critical storage but I still keep alot of shit in regular hard drives because my network can't handle the load.
Besides I just got threadripper 1950 and a RX 590 + 16 gigs of ram.
Everything else was used from a previous build.

>some people with really nice surround or headphones like audio cards
People with really nice surround systems or headphones use external DACs/amps. Internal soundcards are and have always been a meme.

Why would anyone use a NAS today if a stinking UASP USB3 HDD case can deliver the same performance as if that damn hard drive was inside the case, connected to a SATA port?

intel small socket cpus have 16 lanes of pci + 3 crappy lanes through the chipset.

This board has 35 lanes in total......WTF intel is your bullshit????

why anyone builds bigger then matx for small socket intel i have no fucking clue, you cant use all the slots.the bottom 3 slots should be just drawings for all the good it will do you

Attached: what-the-father-fucking-fuck-is-this-fuck.jpg (480x360, 67K)

>just get a external hdd lol
why are you on Jow Forums

This is my cringe board. I watch people inconvenience themselves with convoluted garbage technology and laugh.

i kinda wish i went mitx but none of the boards had enough io ports

Which ones didn't they have enough of?

mATX is plenty standard, faggot

>want 10GbE
>they only put them on ATX boards

Why do they do this? If I go ATX then I can easily use a NIC in a slot. For mATX/mITX you can save me a slot that I need.