Jow Forums i am a first year CS student is CS really the hardest major?

I heard it was actually a lot of math and not just writing cool apps and stuff is this true?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 250K)

idk if this is real or not, but it is fairly difficult but overall its mostly just very time consuming. it probably isn't as hard as a pure math or chemistry major or something, but it does have some rather intense theory if you go to a decent uni and not some brainlet school.

you don't code anything cool in school, its boring as shit and labs take fucking forever.

cs is basically an applied math degree.

t. cs degree

>meme degree
>hard

It is a lot of math. If you're like me and you're better at programming then you are at math then you'd better do your homework or else you won't make it.

>t. Brainlet

People told you CS was hard?
t. Physics BSc.

I only took 2 programming classes my entire undergrad and work as a software engineer making more than any of the CS grads I work with.

>t. Web dev cuck who probably uses electron js

my guidance counselor from high school

*blocks your path*

Attached: fuck you.jpg (214x300, 11K)

it's hard if you're retarded. it's also a meme major. meme majors attract a lot of retards. therefore, it is seen as hard to the general public.

is calculus hard? i've only taken algebra 2

what is a meme major?

yes it's very hard, but not impossibly hard if you are really really good at algebra and study a lot

the hardest major? definitely not
just writing cool apps and stuff? absolutely not
a lot of math? depends on what university you get your degree at, some are much heavier on math concepts like discrete maths. nonetheless, computer science is essentially an applied math degree, like said. so if you don't like any form of math, not even algebra or discrete math,then cs isn't for you.

No, it's not the hardest. You'd better switch before you try (unsuccessfully) to enter the workforce. When you get there, you'll be frequently denied in lieu of people like me who took real majors like chemical engineering.

>even bigger meme degree than CS
unless you're doing pure math you're wasting your time and will get beat out by stacy or some inbred tranny for diversity and company culture

That's actually a realistic answer.

based on the work students I know have to do, CS may be the easiest STEM degree
t. final year CS student

Computer science isn't really about computers and it certainly isn't science. I'd describe it as applied discrete mathematics.

Is it useful? Not in the slightest.

Will it make you a better programmer? Absolutely not.

Will it give you any employable skills? You're joking right?

Will it waste years of your life that you could've spent on something worthwhile? Absolutely.

However if you have a passion for applied discrete mathematics and you like thinking about computation in a theoretical way with maybe an intention of going into research than maybe a CS degree would be worthwhile.

That mostly depends on your uni. If it's easy, your uni is most likely terrible. But I wouldn't say it's the hardest one, I'm pretty sure pure math is harder.
If your CS classes didn't teach you anything useful, didn't make you a better programmer, and didn't give you any employable skills, your uni was probably just one step above degree mills.

this, how do you learn nothing in 4 years of uni you fucking brainlet

lol cs major? fckin brainlet

CS is the easiest of all STEM degrees--yes, it is even easier than biology.

lol nice buyers remorse faggot

Name 1 thing you learned during your CS degree that you couldn't've have easily taught yourself for free that has majorly improved your life.

I did aeronautical engineering. I work in embedded control systems. I know a lot of people who did computer science as a degree, and they're honestly not anything special. The ones I knew which were smartest did electronic and electrical engineering, since you have to understand all the way from the voltages and hardware to the mid range assembly languages, to the higher level stuff like c and python. I'd say EEE is harder than CS. I'd also say aero eng is harder than CS.
>Anecdotal evidence

>cs is basically an applied math degree
no it fucking isn't you codemonkey.

t.applied math grad

>something that could be done with any degree ever

>t. washed up brainlet who failed jython 101

>he thinks it's possible to get hands on lab experience in things like physics and chemistry without access to university quality facilities

You got memed idiot. Enjoy your debt.

>buyers remorse
Universities are free in my country :^)
Of course you can learn everything by yourself, but nobody actually does. They just learn a programming language, maybe some basic algorithms, and think it's all they need. The worst offenders are "data scientists" who don't even know basic statistics.

>what are cloud labs

Attached: just lol.jpg (363x310, 27K)

from all the egineering degrees you pick the fag meme tier one, just man up and go for a real career like electronics egineering

electrical engineering is probably the biggest meme degree in engineering. Unless you double major with pure math and EE you are totally wasting your time and will never get a fucking job.

No, none of these classes are any kind of hard IF you have a good textbook. Literally just do the problems the prof assigns in the book and you'll be fine.

>I heard it was actually a lot of math
A 100% total lie. The math is a joke.

Attached: cs discrete.png (939x1045, 647K)

Real advice, ignore the math and engineering majors posting about CS being useless. It's mostly just majors ribbing on each other which every major in college does to everyone else. You seem to be honestly trying to understand it all so don't be memed into deciding your career based on forum shitposts. Technology's a booming field and as long as you don't go to a fake for-profit college, don't live in the middle of nowhere, and at least try to give a little bit of a fuck during school then you're all but guaranteed to graduate and make a wage greater than the median American household income.

CS is not insanely difficult by any means but I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the majors with the highest rate of freshman/sophomores flunking and switching majors. A lot of dumb 18 year olds have no idea what computer science means but chose it because they spend all their lives on a computer so they think it'll fit them. No. It turns out programming is a lot different than looking at memes on Facebook. You'll be fine as long as you have the right expectations.

Attached: 1525815827123.png (615x597, 301K)

what if I DO like maths, but am a complete brainlet? I'm a sophomore and failed introductory math (it's not even really college level) twice, finally passed it with a B

>so if you don't like any form of math, not even algebra or discrete math,then cs isn't for you.

college math is nothing like high school math

or maybe I just went to a good college, IDK.

N-NANI!>?

>Will it give you any employable skills? You're joking right?

it does teach BPM.

and that's how I know you don't have a CS degree.

No

Remember to use chegg and stackoverflow really really hard and fuck lots of slutty asian girls OP then you get to be a software dev like me for a major corporation and everyone will have to suck your cock or the company dies

>>treaten to leave because no raise
>>within 3 hours the CEO himself ensures I get a raise because all the pajeets already quit

fucking love java

If someone works as a high school guidance counselor, chances are they are not the academic type.

>writing cool apps
You didn't actually research any of your courses before you signed up for them, did you?

are you supposed to?

I got my degree yoloing the whole thing.

here's what I recommend. Pirate udemy math video courses or lookup khan academy and learn there. Dont waste your money or time with tutors at school, you have to motivate yourself to study if you like it as much you say you do.

Never not research.

that's what interns are for

The math of CS is piss-easy. If you "can't get it" you're just being lazy and pathologically aversive. Even the algorithms shit is taught like you're in middle school.

What most non-logically-minded people struggle with is the basic rigors of formal logic and procedural order. And as far as technical vocations go, it's far from the largest barrier of entry out there.

LOL, तिम्रो real नाम हो यो?

Second year CS student here. Take my word with a grain of salt because I'm only second year, there are a lot more experienced people here. This is just my experience so far. I just finished a class purely on assembly language, it was a Computer Systems class. This was the only difficult CS related class I've taken after 5 terms so far because I had to learn a lot of assembly code and be able to decipher it 100% into C code and vice versa. I know this is a really specific example, but I feel like only a few random CS topics are difficult, such as assembly programming and optimization. It was the first CS class I've gotten a B in, all other classes about C++ and Linux command line and data structures I've gotten A's. So yeah, my point is, some topics are harder than others but the easy topics are very easy to grasp. There are so many online resources that can help you with very specific things as well, just don't rely on that shit like I have because it will make you have zero confidence as a programmer. Stack overflow is both a godsend and a curse.

Attached: fzr6qrkyw2s01.png (499x564, 346K)

reality is:

different people are gonna have different problems with different things desu

then there's also the possibility of just having a shit course with shit didactics held by a shit lector.