/wdg/ - Web Development General

Is Jow Forums done getting btfo edition

At least this time is wasn't my fault I missed the previous thread dying.

Previous thread: >COMPLETE BEGINNERS GUIDE
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.org
codecademy.com
hackr.io
theodinproject.com/

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4x

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

>PHP resources
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A

Attached: wdg_printer.jpg (989x1484, 282K)

Other urls found in this thread:

konpa.github.io/devicon/),
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_service
float-middle.com/json-web-tokens-jwt-vs-sessions/
youmightnotneedjs.com/
jsfiddle.net/d57k1tvq/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

W-what happened to the last thread?
I was just about to respond to a bunch of people but it's just totally gone now...?

>PEACE TREATY TERMS TO END ROGUE JANITORS:
REUNIFICATION OF Jow Forums/4CHANNEL
RESIGNATION OF HIRO
BANNING OF ALL GENERALS FROM EVERY BOARD + DELETION OF /vg/
MAKE POSTING/PROMOTING DISCORD BANNABLE

A bunch of retards are shitting up this board for no apparent reason and it 404'd.
See:

Kek this is Jow Forumslorius

Attached: 002869.jpg (550x550, 159K)

Day job status report:
> left alone by management to fuck with proof-of-concept on alternatives to our Angular 2+ shitshow
> Write express app in TypeScript, line up scripts to transpile and serve w/ nodemon
> Going to add minimalist server-side rendering w/ JSDOM.

I'd rate the experience a strong 6/10 in comfiness.

Attached: 1508880745697.jpg (600x586, 29K)

NIGGERS like you made shitty subreddits. Off yourselves

>BANNING OF ALL GENERALS FROM EVERY BOARD
>DELETION OF /vg/
Eat shit faggot.

STAY MAD JANNISHIT

Rogue janitor (or leaked janitor account?) started wiping all threads on Jow Forums and Jow Forums periodically, hopefully stopped now.

thanks me too

lmao, alright

Anyway to that user who asked how I made the pink/orange gradient band, it's just a rectangle rotated approx 45 degrees with a gradient applied. The colours themselves are #F1427C to #FA901E.

And to the user who recommended using fonticons and simpler colours, thanks, those icons you linked look clean af (konpa.github.io/devicon/), I'll probably end up using them.

Attached: band.jpg (1071x730, 30K)

I made an imageboard in react and nodejs, is that enough to get an entry level position web dev position? I have a CS degree also. How many projects should I have on my resume?

Wtf happened?

You say you have a degree and a portfolio. Are you getting rejected or have you applied yet?

>.co.uk

Attached: 1543172637646.jpg (562x730, 51K)

we dont have those many ribs

General niggers got autistic and a based janitor fought them, hiromoot got pissed and revoked his rightful janitorship

>General niggers got autistic
?

I didn't have any portfolio when I graduated, I tried applying for jobs with no success. So I went cocoon mode the past 5 months learning webdev. So now I have my imageboard app now, but I'm just wondering if I'm going to be wasting my time applying again or if I have a good chance now.

Also before I didn't know any webdev, I only knew java and C, and some python, but that alone wasn't getting me any offers. So for some reason I decided to do webdev instead. Maybe I'm a retard

Oh and yeah I wasn't applying to webdev jobs before, just general entry level jobs for java/c programmers. I didn't really have any ideas for projects in those languages. I think there's a bigger market for JS devs though, I find it more enjoyable too, I can make things normies will use

>I can make things normies will use
This kills the C programmer.

I love C but outside of linux and hobby stuff it's not that relevant. The internet is everything now, everything is a webapp, for better or worse. Even for phone apps you can just make them in a JS framework now

>and it 404'd.
lol fucking stupid kike cocksucker, the jannies deleted it, it didn't just spontaneously 404

how do you make a database for a website

There's no silver bullet but working with recruiters has been a positive experience for me so far. On paper a degree + projects should be more than enough so you may need to figure out what information you are not adequately selling.
> t. self taught, 4 years in, 100k

The entire board suffered a false reset. Had this been an actual overwrite, the transition would have been seamless.

What are some general tips to make your website not look like shit? Some of the links in OP are dead.

That's enough to get a job in where I live.

what does /wdg/ think of javascript.info?

>tfw fell for the bootcamp meme
im not gonna make it, bros

Why?

Don't worry bro. Just keep on failing until you find something that works. That's how everyone does it.

bootcamp is ok if you go to a good one like hack reactor

In general, I just look at sites I like and figureout how to implement its nice features myself, either by looking at the CSS or just kind of playing around with things.

>Some of the links in OP are dead.
Which ones? All of them seem to work for me. Although I can't speak to anything in PHP guy's pastebin.

how’s job hunting

What is a web service?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_service

PHP, elixir, ROR, asp, they all have built in sessions, how come nodejs is so popular and doesn't even have it by default and I have to download it from npm or implement myself?

I applied to a front end position but the job posting didn't say anything about Sr. or experience needed. I wondered why the salary was so high but I assumed it was a way to bait more applicants. I have an interview tomorrow but I don't really consider myself Sr. What do I do? What kind of questions will they ask me?

Sessions are a very old concept that doesn't scale very well.
Use client side tokens and claims instead like JWT.
float-middle.com/json-web-tokens-jwt-vs-sessions/

Is the company well known? You might want to check out the interviews section on glassdoor for that company.

I already have but there are no posts related to interviews

Just go on as many interviews as possible. You either get a job or get more experience on how to bullshit through interviews until you get a job.

I'm making a website for some lawyers and since they all have page-long descriptions they want under their pics, I thought about hiding it until the pic gets hovered.

Thing is, idk how to implement that (and more specifically, how to implement that without it looking like ugly). Can anyone pls help? The website is built using wordpress so plugin suggestions are also accepted, altho pointing me towards a CSS/JS solution would be enough

Don't make content visibility depend on mouse hover. That's a UX no-no.

w-why not?

>That's a UX no-no.

should I put linux bash experience on my resume

About to learn Elixir.
Redpill me bois.

You could just have like a team page with headshots or whatever and a short description with a link to their own page with the full text.

Learning Vue. If I want to share state/functionally with a bunch of components, would I use Vuex, a mixin attached to the base Vue instance or store it all in the base Vue instance?

>We will prioritize black, brown, trans, queer, women and disabled applicants in our selection process.
Why is the tech community rife with open and blatant discrimination against white heterosexual men?

Attached: processing_scholarship.png (1174x226, 161K)

how would I write a greasemonkey script or whatever to identify and auto hide all satania posters, what would it need to do, at a high level?

What is a satania poster, is she like a waifu or something. Do satania posters post images of her and/or do they use specific words in their posts

complete starter here so pls no bully
Can i "square" the format of a text, kinda like Word or any doc editor, where the text as a whole looks more square?

text-align: justify

Go through mdn HTML and CSS sections and you will get familiar with most of this shit.
Don't try to memorize everything, you will learn the most used ones with practice.

Where to start with developing a social network? Best frameworks? I know php html css and basic js

thanks frend

A social network has users and it has posts. Learn how to set up a database with MySQL which has tables for posts and users and then learn how to link them and then use your PHP knowledge to link it all together so you have the ability to sign in as a user and make posts. And then advance your knowledge by adding commenting functionality to posts. Think about things in terms of how the database will be set up.

post an image of an anime girl along with a low quality post like itoddlers BTFO XXDD

Any freelancers ITT? I recently started a company since my current employer needed me to. Anyway, I figured I may look into the possibility of doing some web dev stuff with it right now since I don't use it for anything, want to know if it's worth pursuing at all.

Attached: download (5).jpg (231x173, 3K)

so I'm about to be contracted to build a website for a company and they want to discuss them having ownership/rights over the source code

they tasked me with building a reasonable license agreement or something we could all agree to, and I'm kinda lost here

anyone done stuff like this before? is there any licensing templates I should look into?

freelanced once

7 days
1100$

>profit

I just learned that Postgres has a JSON type, but I'm not sure when to use it, I'm using Postgres with node and pg and the response is already an array of objects.

Can we all agree pic related is the best front-end framework right, like its baffling how much "fun" is to use compared to React or Angular

Attached: 253252235523235.jpg (900x550, 22K)

Sorry, but Angular is the best right now.

hey guys
So i am learning flask right now.
I created a simple to-do list app with login/.
I have a question.
how can i secure database?
domain/add-post/
accepts post reuest and add post to database.
so inside that function should i check every time that user is logged in or not.

because i am able to make post request to that domain without logging and manipulate data.
what to do in this situation

Get a lawyer?

What are the most relevant ones I should, at least, be familiar with?
Due to circumstances learning PHP for back end is my end goal but I want to get a solid knowledge of HTML, CSS and JS.

Either Angular or Vue is good.

>assuming/expect users to hover an image to view extra information
>extra mouse movement leads to more effort
>content overlapping with the image
>leads to images being partially or completely blocked, losing most of its focus
>having content fade in/fade out = wasted time
>poor scaling if you have more than a few (content must fit within the image to look good
>large content will be clipped which means you have to click the image to view the full content hidden
>questionable rescaling to smaller resolutions
>doesn't work with touchscreen

>Due to circumstances
Living in a third world eastern Europe country that still uses PHP for everything i assume?

>that still uses PHP
what's the problem with it?
bet you're on those guys that read "PHP fractal of bad design"
PHP in 2018 is more powerful than ever.
But go right ahead and tell us why is it bad.

Its not bad its unnecesary

Want to do something fast that just werks and can be scaled? Node
Want to do make something insanely fast? Go
Want to be like the old fossils? Java
Want to create something big from the start in a good programming language? .Net

There is so many options

>werks and can be scaled
>Node

what did he mean by this

Almost.

Also there's more job opportunities here for PHP. I just want to get hired, I can learn stuff I deem as more interesting in my free time.
I haven't ditched remote work though since it seems that my English is fine.

Where do you store the token?

>implying he isn't right

>pic
holy shit lad, good one

>it's just a rotated rectangle
I thought about that, but how do you manage to put it in the background, zindex, position relative? How.

9+ hours late but fuck you tripfag, all trips must be hung.

t.pol

You set up LAMP (comes with phpmyadmin) on local and you use the already existing php myadmin on hostings. Or you could do it all in commands that escape me.
You connect to it through PHP and send data to it that way too. Nowdays thee are a lot of alternatives, plenty of substitutes of PHP and MySQL. I suggest you find a good step by step tutorial that is up to date... security and all that. A bunch of steps you got to follow, but if you go thte guide it shouldn't be that difficult.

in postgres just creating a database goes something like this

on the client

>want to build something that just works?
PHP

When you got your first job, what was it and what was on your portfolio?

definitely, makes you look badass

They probably get bonus if they do it that way. Or have to meet certain scum people quotas.

Is it possible to set css visibility of an element based on another element's visibility? I want something like that:
#div1 {
visibility: not(#div2.visibility);
}

Which side do you support in querying DOM selectors /wdg/, team HTMLCollection or team NodeList?

Attached: sports.png (922x1390, 195K)

second
t. old /b/, Jow Forums, /his/ and Jow Forumswdg/

CSS is a markup language and doesn't have any programming logic involved in it. So you will have to be absolutely clear in what you write. And that means you set div1's visibility manually, as with div2's visibility. Are you wanting to make one opaque and the other transparent or hidden?

Idk if that can be done in plain CSs, it probably can be, what I'd do is toggle classes between the two elements in js.

Yeah, I want only one to be visible at the time.

Too much hassle, it's a custom css for Jow Forums(nel). I don't want to add yet another userscript.

>Yeah, I want only one to be visible at the time.
Alright, then that will require using JS.

You can't do that with plain CSS.
Probably you can do it with Sass and for sure you can do it easily with JS.

same question

What do you guys recommend learning first, web development or programming?

Programming. You'll have your shit together by the time you reach web. It's better this way. Plus you'll have more choices than just Web Dev.

Is there any way to have action on click with pure CSS?
:active seems to work nice for my implementation, but the click needs to be held for :active to stay and that's not really what I want

No JS
youmightnotneedjs.com/
jsfiddle.net/d57k1tvq/