BoomerTV advice

My old parents are fed up with their piece of shit ancient TiVo box, and told me to figure out a different solution so they can watch river monsters and Netflix romcoms or whatever.
There's a wide variety of options, like just plopping down a Roku and connecting it to a Plex server or buying a Chinese android box and slapping XBMC on it, but I thought that Jow Forums would have some ideas as well.
I don't really have any restrictions other than it can't be too complicated and they still want to get the same cable content that they receive right now (and would rather keep cable than get rid of it). Our internet is plenty fast.

What's your current HTPC solution? Would you recc it for boomers?

Attached: ᵇᵒᵒᵐᵉʳ.png (83x47, 10K)

Roku + Plex/Kod for downloaded contenti and slingtv for live cable shows.

Interesting. What about which remote to use? Some people just use those little bluetooth touchpad keyboards

roku comes with remotes. Kodi and Plex have phone apps to connect to the services.

neat. Well I'll go add up the potential cost and see what they think.
Kinda crazy, my dad remembers getting our first flat screen 720p TV yeeeeears ago. Was $3000 or something crazy. Now 3840x2160 screens are like $400

different Roku versions at different costs with different features, Plex and Kodi are free, Plex does have premium features, however. slingtv has different packages for different channels. good luck

Toshiba amazon fire tv. Boomers love it. My wife's parents love it

>Plex server
>Paying for media storage

>implying I would ever pay for Plex Pass
NAS are cheap, yo

run a server and stream from your media server
don't ever fall for the garbage plex meme

What’s wrong with plex? My roommate’s plex server setup for his stuff works fine.

jesus christ you normies are truly disgusting

Attached: .png (83x47, 7K)

This seems like it fits the bill pretty well as well

explain what's wrong with plex gramps

why's Jow Forums infested with idiot normies?
plex is fucking garbage, encode your shit with ffmpeg and be done. stop encoding it per stream you dumb fucking retards

do you think my parents know what an ffmpeg is? I would rather they not have to ask me for help whenever they want to watch something. Plus I doubt they'd notice the difference either

Attached: remoob.png (47x83, 10K)

do you think they know what plex is? dumbfuck.

one is more friendly than the other, that's for sure

>encode videos
>never have to encode again
vs
>encode every time requiring powerful machine to stream and uses hundreds of thousands of times more power over a year
yea ffmpeg or literally any other encoder is far more friendly than plex is.

>t. literal autism

People online are saying that a Roku is better for old people. might just go the route of dumb tv + smart box

>literal retardation
it's far easier to just encode shit, retard

tell me then, how will encoding help my mom watch RuPaul’s drag race every week?

Just get a new cable box this isnt fucking rocket science. No one cares about whatever faggot tryhard thing you are going to come up with because it will suck and your parents won't like it. Damn you are dumb.

>this thread again
plex users fuck off back to Feddit please.