Does anyone actually use this?

Does anyone actually use this?

Attached: mbp_2016_lifestyle13.jpg (1600x1067, 183K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GD0L46y3IqI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No, I'm heterosexual

I use the virtual one sometimes. Would love for a Magic Keyboard that has one.

I use a 2015 Macbook Air specifically for the reason of avoiding this autism

>no physical escape key
This was all the justification I needed to have the purchasing department order me a GNU/Linux compatible laptop instead of the nu-MacBook. As a (delightful) consequence I don't have to maintain our company's shit iOS apps anymore. Whatever fucking heathen thought replacing the function keys was OK should be publicly executed.

No, I won't upgrade my MacBook until they fix the keyboard. Also, the new ones don't have MagSafe which is a definite fail.

I have it and love it. Its fine, nerds love to get uppity about bullshit.

Attached: 4da1a1a23dba011a7ba6918986a6b818302b949ae694b27d559cf8e73308bf7b.jpg (604x392, 65K)

To be clear, I'm talking about the new keyswitches which break when so much as a speck of dust slips through the cracks.

No i just bought a 2017 model just to avoid the bar. No regerts

Well, the devs and QA probably do.

I’ve yet to use it. How can this be useful for my IDE?

Exiting vim feels wrong without an actual escape key. :(

map jj or ii to esc

Why don't they use it as a way to quickly switch between fullscreen applications?
Or just as a dock replacement?
That would actually make sense.

sounds like a good thing for creative professionals, allowing you to acess functions easily. But I don't know about its practicality in other areas

>Why don't they use it as a way to quickly switch between fullscreen applications?

That's actually a good idea, you should work for Apple.
I wonder, maybe it can be done with Better Touch Tool?

You already have autism, you bought a Mac.

>No physical escape key
You're not even joking, what the actual fuck.
I find the lack of an insert key on Apple keyboards crippling enough already.

Attached: unholyabomination.jpg (800x475, 46K)

>lack of an insert key
Just use vi?

I use vim for everything short of reports/essays etc, but I constantly use shift+insert for paste.
Not having it is debilitating aaaaaa

Attached: 1545000123864.jpg (445x503, 31K)

>use vi
>which relies on escape to move between normal mode and insert mode
>on a keyboard with no escape key

... user, plz.

Attached: 1544890223301.gif (338x389, 2.87M)

most people rebind it to capslock or ctrl or something
give it a shot if you haven't please
i used vim for ~5 years before i figured this one out

Everyone in this thread is a loser who doesn't actually own one.

Attached: 1545347364903.png (1600x900, 1.24M)

I guess I would since they've replaced the function keys.

I've already got capslock bound to super, but I'll give it a try, ty user.
That picture gave me drug resistant chlamydia just by looking at it.

Attached: 1545077703451.jpg (1095x730, 143K)

No, iOS and all apple products are for faggots

Yeah and some people bind it to a fucking foot pedal. Most people are wrong: try harder.

You know what, fuck this, I'm sick of the idiots that rebind it parroting this as some sort of excuse for the Mac ditching the escape key. I use capslock to type things in all capital letters, like constants, and I use ctrl to type control sequences. Why would I rebind those fucking keys when I get use out of them *every day*? You know what escape is good for? Escaping a mode you don't want to be in anymore, Insert mode for instance.

I don't care if keys can or should be remapped, that's not an excuse for getting rid of keys that are part of an ANSI standard keyboard. You know what else I don't buy? Laptops without a facsimile of the nav cluster, or keyboards without a number pad. I'm not going to let idiots throw out useful functionality because they can "rebind it" or "don't see its utility." -- I type long strings of numbers, or navigate arbitrary sequences of text, or heaven forbid need to type in all caps without alternating shift keys or contorting my fingers in strange ways.

Keys are tactile for a reason, I will not buy a product that sacrifices that for some misguided sense of aesthetics.

MACTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1529818691771.gif (500x284, 1.75M)

i wasn't trying to excuse what i do think is a pretty poor design choice on apple's part, just note that it doesn't really prohibit usage of vi
i mean i think that if it works for you, that's good enough reason to do it
if you have some kind of philosophical problem with rebinding keys, that's not really relevant to me

/thread

> owns a mac
> not in the autism spectrum

I love vi

Attached: up.jpg (492x581, 40K)

unfortunately yes

Attached: 20181221_215051.jpg (4032x3024, 3.11M)

I'd disagree - most autismos I know irl have thinkpads. Most hipster fuckwits, soccer-mums and teenage grillz own macbooks.

Attached: Justine_Ezarik_at_the_2010_Streamy_Awards.jpg (2000x2852, 553K)

>Appel™ iEmoji© Bar®
>no end, home, escape, or delete keys
>backspace key says delete but doesn't function like the delete key
Did they design this thing for children?

I can't understand why the fuck they killed the escape key, I get replacing function keys with something more dynamic but... escape? Fuck off.

>backspace key says delete but doesn't function like the delete key
It's actually the backspace key that doesn't function like a backspace key on PCs, it behaves like a delete key.

Attached: vt100-keyboard.jpg (3181x1506, 756K)

Keyboard layouts are a standard. If you can't label your buttons right you have dumb engineers. No wonder apple spends so much on marketing, they can't make a decent product. The only way they make money is with some sort of gimmick that drives sales. "Despite the counterintuitiveness of our keyboard layout, it actually is better than the US standard because it's unique and you'll get hipster street cred if you buy it"

honestly the only thing that pisses me off about the design of modern macbooks is how the left and right arrow keys take up a whole square instead of being consistently sized with the rest of the arrow keys, it annoys me so fucking much

One (1) good reason to own one?
Go ahead

Got 'upgraded' to a 2017 mpb with touchbar for work.
Literally use it for escape and occasionally changing the brightness.

Who the fuck even looks at their keyboard to know if theres gonna be different buttons per app.

Took me ages to adjust my grip to this shitty keyboard to not accidently touch the bar.
It actually sucks to type on as well - I loved the 2015 keyboard.

Did make me realise I never need to use function keys at all though.

Definitely this too. The keyboard just sucks ass.

The giant touchpad though - that's actually pretty nice when you get used to it.

Because it replace the function row.

youtube.com/watch?v=GD0L46y3IqI

Based first poster

ok, this is epic

Attached: fagple.png (854x468, 309K)

you know the terminals vi was designed for didn't have an escape key, right? the traditional way to exit a mode is ctrl+[

Have one, use it all the time. Due to the way the OS works I have no problem losing ESC. It also has a nice technologically functional aesthetic.