Media Server

How do you set yours up?
Plex? Emby? Do you prefer using a Kodi app?
Have you set up a NAS? Or do you run from your PC? Do you use an HDD enclosure?

Attached: plex.jpg (1280x720, 208K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

nas + double clicking a folder and the mkv file

Browsing samba shares in Kodi.

Plex on a freeNas. Share access with 5 friends and folks on a variety of devices. I use a HTPC behind my TV wall.

If you're investing in a NAS, you should definitely consider Synology or QNAP instead of a custom built NAS.

Whilst ZFS is ahead of BTRFS in stability and features, Synology's implementation using MDADM beneath BTRFS works around most of the major problems BTRFS has. As a result the benefits of ZFS aren't really big enough for a home user.

Synology's UI, features and ease of use put it far, far, far ahead of FreeNAS and it's unlikely iXSystems will ever catch up. Docker support, excellent and stable packages, excellent enclosure to software tying - ever want to figure out which drive is faulty on a FreeNAS build? Good luck since there's no tying of the backplane lights to the software. On a Synology that's all baked in and works great.

Unless you like being a system integrator (I do, it's my work/hobby) a FreeNAS system can be a hugely frustrating timesink. Making it as power efficient and quiet as a Synology build will take some research and time.

Whilst ZFS is solid as a rock I have serious misgivings about FreeNAS stability. There was a Netatalk data corruption issue, numerous SNMP issues which have still not been fixed, a recent updated completely broke SMB (Windows) file sharing, not to mention Corral.

I could go on...

unraid

>using samba shares

Enjoy your slow speeds. NFS masterrace ftw.

Unraid's primary benefit is the significantly lower hardware requirements.

Have a stack of missmatched hdds? unraid is the solution.
Have a old sandybridge and 4g of ram? thats perfect.
Want to saturate your gigabit network? add a cheap SSD cache.
Ease of use? just plug in hardware and press start.

For home users, unraid is perfect, and unless you fuck with it consistently, it's completely stable.

Attached: Capture.png (2415x632, 140K)

Is there a way to put Synology's OS onto a normal PC? They seem to have a great OS but it seems i've seen plenty of reports of their hardware failing. Then again, they seem to be from people who'd push the limits of the NAS far more than i ever would.

Synology's OS is proprietary. I'm pretty sure you can't even read the disks outside of their boxes.

c'mon user, a proprietary OS hasn't stopped people putting it onto things it shouldn't be on in the past.

>Plex?
Proprietary
>Emby?
Proprietary
Do you prefer using a Kodi app?
Yes, it is the only real choice at the moment.

If Jellyfin finds some good coders and survives, it could be a great contender.

Why not Raid 1 or Raid 6?

i know, shame about that $60 price tho.

It's kind of a pity that the Kodi guys can't make their own backend internally, work off the SQL stuff they have already into a headless more easy to use solution.

That would be ideal. From what I've seen, they don't have enough devs to make major changes at this point. We shall see.

Yes, it's called xpenology I have a ryzen 3 2200g running xpenology with no problems.

The popular Chinese NAS units are garbage. FreeNAS is a clown OS but it's miles better than what Synology and QNAP have. Seriously just build your own. The UI is less friendly but if it's just a place where you dump media, you don't have to do much once its setup. I use Plex. But if you don't have a lot of money and aren't a stickler for transcoding quality or are storing web rips etc, Synology and QNAP are fine.

The reason the Chinese NAS machines are so quiet and power efficient is because they use bottom of the barrel hardware. Even their top of the line 4k transcoding NAS is a fucking Celeron J3455. If you want a system that quiet you can also spec it with similar low end components. OR you can spec it with good components and a quieter higher performance cooling system. That all adds up which is why Synology sells so well. Idle power draw difference is going to be negligible.

Agree about the drive lights though. Those are useful.

Synology is fine for entry level / non-tech savy people with deep pockets, but don't kid yourself thinking FreeNAS is anything but superior.

>the benefits of ZFS aren't really big enough
>what is bitrot
No problem if you store tranny hentai, but I wont trust my most important data with consumer solutions

>Synology's UI
It's really good, I'm gonna give you that. But the problems FreeNAS has are purely cosmetic.

>Docker support
What's the value in that if you get super gimped chipset unless you spend absurd money?

>excellent and stable packages
I have had nothing but pain with running packages

>a FreeNAS system can be a hugely frustrating timesink
The inital setup takes more time, but once it's up and running you don't have to do shit.
Replace one of the two mirrored boot USBs every few years, swap out a faulty HDD every 5.

>FreeNAS stability
It's fine, just don't update as soon as possible but wait out another stable release.

>a recent updated completely broke SMB
That was literally adding a few characters to some clients /etc/fstab. Not the end of the world.

NFS does not even support authentication, it's a complete joke.
(No, host white/blacklisting is not authentication)

old hdd on pentium m machine used as media server. transmission daemon with some rss script to pull in stuff. shared throughout network with nfs and samba shares. unironically it just works, runs for years on end

Attached: 1507250167286.png (1050x903, 1.45M)

This. I got a 12 bay server with a raid controller for like $250 from save my server, then put 24TB worth of hitachis in it, in a RAID 6. While setup with a couple of spares cost me less than a grand.

Mismatching drives from different eras with different capacities, rpms, interface speeds, manufacturers, and caches sizes, do not mix will in RAID.

t. idiot who has never actually used synology

libreelec hosting samba shares

Yuropoor here with a tiny place, i've got nowhere to stash a proper server, a 2 or 4 bay NAS is about the only thing i can hide in my TV cabinet.

Thoughts on Sonarr? Radarr? Ombi? Sickrage? Gitea?

Remember to setup offline use before you get an internet outage, since if that happens and you haven't set it up, you can't watch your shit lmao

i really don't recommend plex
i used to have about 300G of music, and maybe a terabyte and a half of tv and movies, and it would absolutely EAT cpu on rescan
i think it either didn't use inotify, or didn't use it correctly
this was a few years ago so this may not be the situation now, but be aware.

works fine for me, except for when I try to stream the gigantic bluray 4k Blade Runner file. Shit shits the bed

how large is your media directory?
i'm not talking about CPU load during streaming, i'm talking load during scans of that directory

2TB

I have both and kodi on the phone, feels good

Streaming uncompressed 4k movies from plex REQUIRES an ethernet connection, while streaming transcoded 4k needs a good cpu. It does work, and it works well, but you need the hardware to support it.

You need to move the plex directory to an SSD for it not to shit itself.

emby devs are sleazy, claiming to be fully open source but still keeping portions closed with incompatible and conflicting licenses

jbod? you must be retarded

>Emby
>Proprietary

github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby

???

i think it was choking on CPU, so not a drive issue, but it's a few years back so i'm not really clear on it honestly

I used to be really autistic about it, planning to make my own dedicated server for it, but now I just run it on my main machine and let it do it's thing. I don't even bother converting files so it doesnt have to transcode anymore. It's nice though, works well enough. The music library system is ass though, not even close to usable.

Literally just set up sshd then sftp and play whatever you want, if your device can't use ssh in current year blame yourself

Can confirm, works well too.

Honestly I just have a custom PC I built with spare parts, running Windows 7 currently. Going to out 10 on there shortly
>But muh lunix!
>But muh ZFS

Stupid shit that's way overkill and a pain in the ass to work into my already existing eco-system.

>eat 100% cpu
>need superuser permissions
>want 10$ to use services.
Enjoy your fuckin botnet.

definitely not using garbage that re-encodes my shit constantly.
simple nas and minidlna that streams to literally any device works 100x better
plex is for retards

>re-encoding everything vs a simple media library
all 3 are absolute garbage and not comparable.
encode your fucking videos and then watch them via any of the 300 file sharing technologies. Reencoding them constantly is for RETARDS. plex is below normie tier

Plex in Docker because I have shit to do.

Go straight FreeBSD with ZFS on a Xeon with a shitload of ECC RAM

which of the 300 is the best? honest question.

My HTPC has the drives in it and is an NFS server for other shit like my MiBox. Had a cheap tablet I used as a remote for one of the rooms but that died and I haven't replaced it yet. Just found an English manual for my air mouse remote so now I've got it programmed to work with my TV and sound system

>Reencoding them constantly is for RETARDS
Why have multiple copies of everything when you can create copies on the fly?

Why be an idiot when you can just encode once and call it a day?
NFS is the fastest, and has the most configuration.
CIFS/SMB/Samba is the easiest to setup with authentication
DLNA/UPNP is the easiest probably to setup and just go. No auth and in LAN everyone can connect to your server, I usually do this at homes because every device can just stream right from your $10 server without issues immediately.

Those are unironically the only 3 I'd ever recommend using. Idiots here use all kinds of other weird shit.

>setup $5 raspberry pi zero with hard drive and minidlna server
>just werks
>every smart tv, and ps4 and xbox in my house can watch movies.

>not having everything rencode on demand
2007 is calling, they want you to retire your q6600 already.

Why watch anything but the remux when your hardware's capable of it? Instead of keeping a lower quality version around for your shittier devices just transcode it whenever you need it

>wasting that much power for literally no reason
complete retard
laughing at your tiny fucking libraries right now.
your dumbass specifically couldn't tell the difference, so why's it matter?

I used to use kodi but now I just use plex because it Just Works™.

I haven't found a solution to mix a bunch of random drives in such a way that doesn't fail catastrophically when one drive fails (like a single spanned fs), so right now I just have multiple drives mounted on multiple points. Whatever. I just add them in Plex each time I add a new drive and that's it.

I used to use an HTPC (which I still have) but nowadays I just use an Apple TV running the Plex client, with my iMac transcoding the video where applicable (although I think everything runs natively, at least from what I've seen)

Attached: apps.56729.13510798887965458.26bd76f4-0678-49b6-a1ac-f253f3eef06d.jpg (1920x1080, 56K)

>Unraid
will this let me combine multiple drives into a single volume without catastrophic failure happening due to a single drive's failure?

>I haven't found a solution to mix a bunch of random drives in such a way that doesn't fail catastrophically when one drive fails

unraid

lol nerds just run a long hdmi cable from your tv screen to your NAS
like really

>laughing at your tiny fucking libraries right now.
My library's larger than Kodi shows, much of it is still on Blu-ray though. I want to convert a 100 disc CD player to a Blu-ray player and have Kodi autoload whatever movie I select and play it off the disc instead of my drive. Till then I'll just keep buying more drives
>so why's it matter?
Because I can.

excuse me what the fuck is this gay shit

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 2.13.01 AM.png (2362x1158, 186K)

Up to 2 drives run as parity the rest of the array can rebuild from, drives sizes are limited to the smallest parity disk size.

Did you know software costs money to develop?

>all these people unironically shilling plex
jesus christ Jow Forums is garbage

it's simply better than Kodi and I don't care about your open source autism, Kodi is a fucking relic. The only people I know who use Kodi are pakis who want to get free shitty TV and paki channels that aren't available in the US. They're also android users

basically dirty minorities with low IQs and stupid opinions

>comparing plex to kodi
they don't do the same thing, should I compare chrome to foobar2000?
this is the state of Jow Forums , you're absolutely an idiot. Fix yourself..

It's pretty much only sand niggers using kodi at this point, even the chinese are putting custom skins on android boxes and a freemium experience because they want subs.

chinks played too many MMOs not to pick up this business model.

>calls people dumb and low IQ
>doesn't know what plex nor kodi does
HAHAHA what a fucking retard holy fucking shit you can't make this shit up

>literally 10-foot UIs mostly for TV and movie consumption
>HURR A MEDIA PLAYER IS LIKE A BROWSER HUHH??
t. autistic faggot

what are you even talking about? Did you confuse yourself?

t. low IQ

jesus christ at this point reddit is 10 times better than Jow Forums

>old Jow Forums is run off by kike owner
>moderators replaced by reddit mods in 2013
>gook replaces kike owner
>massive influx of phone posters
>split site into two domains
>quality of site goes downhill

Attached: shocj.jpg (1280x720, 66K)

Unraid babbies BTFO

SnapRaid + MergerFS is free and superior
unraid niggers blown the fuck out

>plex
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Why does Plex look like pixelated garbage?

because that's what it is and what it makes. Encode videos yourself, once, and you're done and have a library 50x the size. easily.

set your client to raw data you dumbfuck

High power level post

Sonarr and Radarr are great. Especially because of the API they offer.

>shit tier library
>unorganized
>brags about it

what do you utilize the API for?

also, has anyone found a good replacement for sickrage and couchpotato? couchpotato in particular seems like it's on its way out

>shit tier
The movies I like and watch often are on HDDs ready to be played; for others it's not that difficult to pop a disc in a drive.
>unorganized
Everything that's on a HDD is organized with a Movies/Title (year)/Title.bdremux.mkv hierarchy and all the discs are organized in alphabetic order. I even went as far as to use .mk3d file extensions for 3D movies but Kodi doesn't recognize them so I use .3d.mkv instead

Can we all agree that Synology & QNAP's UI is far better than FreeNAS's?

That's gonna be a yikes from me if true

If I buy a Google Chromecast can I set up a PLEX thing on my mom's laptop so she can watch her favorite shows like Judge Judy without using an HDMI cable across the living room?

I can download the shows for her it's not an issue

>Synology or QNAP
worst advice ever. PSU fails on your off the shelf built NAS? Replace it, move on. Hardware fails on your Synology after 5 years? You're screwed. No idea why your on about FreeNAS and ZFS, btw. Just install any GNU/Linux distribution on any standard piece of hardware with enough SATA ports and configure mdadm raid6 or 5 if you only have 3 hdds and you're done. ZFS makes sense if you have 20 HDDs which usually requires a RAID controller or special motherboard.

It's true. You can restrict who gets to access a NFS share by IP but that's not exactly authentication. You basically assume everyone on the LAN can and should have access.

You faggot you missed the shitstorm few weeks back when emby finally publicly stated they're not open-sourcing their plugins. They're violated gpl for years. And thus enter jellyfin.

Universal Media Server, it's free, no bloat, stupid easy to set up.

>Plex? Emby? Do you prefer using a Kodi app?
how to use youtub

Fuck usenet

>It's true.
It's not. sec=krb5

Fpbp

Literally this, desu.
I have been doing it for the last 15 years, I don't understand what a media server is and am too old to learn now. It always seems like a file browser with extra steps.

Just use OpenPHT

raspberry pi 3b + network HDD, I just choose the file I want and then it plays on my TV. It just werks

replacements: sonarr and radarr

Silly goose, zfs is great for any amount of disks.

Main PC running Plex on background and a Chromecast.

Seedbox + radarr/sonarr + Plex = peak comfy