Name a better lossy audio format

Name a better lossy audio format.
Protip: you can't.

Attached: Opus_logo2.svg.png (3600x2045, 157K)

Other urls found in this thread:

trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/5718
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The next point release of Opus.

At what kbps should i encode it, if i want a file of around 8-10mb?

>better lossy
Shit is shit. There's no better shit that any other.

VQF

You don't need anything past 128k

ALAC
oh wait

Name a more faggot than yourself.
Protip: you can't.

AAC

LossyFLAC

Who gives a shit lol

Does any app use it for voice calls?

Discord does and Mumble has an option for it.
Not too sure about other software, but I'd imagine most have support for it. Opus is really good for clear human speech at low bitrate/bandwidth, which is important for VoIP.

vorbis
WhatsApp

lossless compression or gtfo

Vorbis is only better than MP3 though.

nearly everything

but can you write a codec from scratch by yourself?

YouTube

it doesn't support 5.1 surround. once it does av1+opus+mkv will be a godlike combo for anime releases. hell, i might even rip my isos using these.

It does. It just doesn't play well with subs in mkv.

Opus supports 255 channels per stream.

Is shit like DTS:MA and What Dolby's equivilent still under some patent trechery?
Like seriously - we need that functionality yesterday, a core lossy stream with extra bits in a second file to make it bit-perfect lossless.

Use the core file for phones/streaming/etc
Use the core+addendum for hifi/archiving/etc

If the core lossy stream got outdated and a newer, better codec came along you could still re-encode since you've still got a bit-perfect file as long as you retain the additional data.

Are you talking about this?
trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/5718
That's ffmpeg's fault and has nothing to do with Opus directly. Plus from my experience not all surround sound channel configurations cause this problem.

yeah, i checked and opus does support 5.1. it's just that i used ffmpeg to encode 5.1 ac3 -> 5.1 opus and it gave me errors. downmuxing to 2 channels worked fine, though. guess i have to do a bit of digging to learn how to use it correctly.

>Like seriously - we need that functionality yesterday, a core lossy stream with extra bits in a second file to make it bit-perfect lossless.
Given that a lossy encode will likely be tiny compared to it's lossless source, is that kind of space saving really worthwhile?

For songs, you can use 96 kbps. Transparent for almost everyone,

For voice/podcasts, I use 16 kbps and it sounds fine.

How does this even work? Audio format doesn't work with subs?

That depends on how long your audio track is and you should be able to solve this yourself if you are old enough to use this site.

256 is best tho

overkill for OPUS. 160 kbps is transparent.