Resume Critique

Attached: h8 r8 masturb8.png (1240x1754, 160K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pjreddie.com/static/Redmon Resume.pdf
scholar.google.com/citations?user=TDk_NfkAAAAJ&hl=en
news.cs.washington.edu/2018/04/05/allen-schools-joseph-redmon-wins-google-ph-d-fellowship/
twitter.com/pjreddie/status/1022277935590326272
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Unlike almost every other one ive seen on here it isnt cringe worthy. I still think about that time an anons only qualification was "can use the bash terminal comfortably".

what kind of template do you use?
btw is there anyone here whom made a cv using html and css?

I'm the OP but that isn't my resume. I'm just posting it from a previous thread.

Unironically use latex

posting others cv ?
ain't that dumb
post yours

Mine is shit though. I need good ideas for projects. That's why I started this thread.

Your resume is not correctly focused. Are you applying for a research position? In that case you need a CV, not a resume. If not, your selected publications are meaningless.
Remove highschool, it's irrelevant.
Your education timings are really bad (over 7 years and counting in higher education, especially 4 whole years in an MSc - how did your uni even allow you to be that long? That's 4 semester extensions minimum). I don't know what to do with these though. It certainly will look bad in either case.
If a resume, remove the TA experience. If a CV, put the TA experience on top.
PhD student isn't relevant on a resume. On a CV, add Master's Student and consider rephrasing as Research Assistant or similar - the goal is to highlight your research experience.
Note that if you are applying for a non-academic position your teaching experience is meaningless.
Did you put the authors list on your publications? That is very important, especially author ordering (you also typically underline your name in that ordering).
You seem to be looking into standard software engineering positions. If that's true, your education will gate you out of most opportunities because you're way overqualified.
In your introduction title, choose one of software engineer and phd candidate, not both because they're at odds with the image you're trying to present (which depends on what you're applying for).
If you ever had a good GPA, you might want to add that to the education section.

pjreddie.com/static/Redmon Resume.pdf

It's ironic btw. See bottom right corner. The person's a highly regarded ML researcher.

I'll give a few, that is if you like c++:
>chat server with clients
>a 3d game with glfw, glad, glm
>image manipulator with opencv
>ftp file server on linux
>a very lightweight text editor
these are things that i made a long time ago but i believe that anyone can do it too

>fails the six-second test
Add a "skills" section. Why is your experience divided into two sections? Is one of them irrelevant? If it is irrelevant, why put it on your resume?

Put some text box in bottom resumen about all tech you had real world experience.

Example
Java( webservers(JSF Tomcat 6 months), Android( Kit kat 6 months), Desktop(Swings 1 year), PHP 1 year, HTML/CSS/JS 2 years.

Stop posting these threads. You've been warned.

Who the fuck are you and why should OP care?

No he's not. t. actual ML researcher.

ARE YOU OKAY JANNIE

is it really that awful to be in the academy for that long?
i mean as one who did his cs bsc degree for 5 years(i took less courses than needed and i went to work as a qa tester, but that's not the case)
and now I'm employed as a senior c++ dev (90k)
as long as you have experience the rest is history from what i've seen

For engineering they don't really care, but if you had taken 10 years to do your BSc you bet they'd ask questions. For research, every year after the 5th total year (1-2 years in MSc, 3-4 years in PhD) is counted against you, and any year under that is counted in your favor. A long MSc is a very large blow against you, much more so than a long PhD.

scholar.google.com/citations?user=TDk_NfkAAAAJ&hl=en
Over 5000 citations
h index 7.

He BTFO 99.99% /sci/.

oh i see, yet I'm not really into getting a msc degree,
still, is it worth it ?
i just finished my degree like a year ago and the trauma of my university is still fresh

here's my resume Jow Forums:
>black
>gay
>women
how did i do?

All of those have been done to death. I'm hoping to find something unusual.

Hey, why are you posting my resumé, OP?

cuz it was way better than mine lmao

doing unusual is good, yet nothing's wrong with making known subjects yourself, it's not about the thing that you're programming its more or so the knowledge that you've gained from them

Thanks, but just saying it makes it seem like it yours. I appreciate the additional censoring though, so thanks for that :)

Depends what you want to do with your life, what domain you're going into, and whether the position you're aiming for will be affected by the degree. In some tracks, big companies refuse to promote you if you don't have at least a master's, for example, whereas in other tracks, companies don't care. More information is needed.

>claiming ownership of something on an anonymous Himalayan spice trading forum

news.cs.washington.edu/2018/04/05/allen-schools-joseph-redmon-wins-google-ph-d-fellowship/

Joseph Redmon, a Ph.D. student working with Allen School professor Ali Farhadi on computer vision research, has been named a 2018 Google Ph.D. Fellow. Redmon, who is one of only 39 students across North America, Europe, and the Middle East to be selected for a fellowship, was recognized in the “Machine Perception, Speech Technology and Computer Vision” category for his efforts to develop faster, better, and more useful computer vision tools for real-world applications.

Ponylet can't compete

It is mine though, I posted it in the last thread that got deleted some hours ago.

I believe you, but that's aside from the point I was trying to make. My point is that nobody can verify a claim to ownership made anonymously.

i mainly have two things that i want to delve into in my career; first machine learning (i really want to help the medical field with ml so that's a really important goal for me) and second making my own rts game(not for commercial or indie release, just to personally revive the dying genre)

h index of 7 is a joke. His publications are a mix of non-peer reviewed, not a real publication (e.g. he dumped opensource implementation of stuff somewhere and anyone who used the code is "forced" to cite him), and not his work (which is fine, just that he didn't really do any work in that case). It's easy to get lots of citations for no work, just release a new dataset and you get thousands in a year.
He also never published at relevant conferences like nips, icml, iclr, acl, or even more mediocre ones like aaai, with his highest accomplishment being the joke that is eccv and some ieee entries (basically 0 quality control and free billion citations).

Fair enough. My point was more in line of pointing out that OP probably shouldn't use other people's resumés, and rather his own.

I am the OP. I don't see what the big deal is, but I'll say this just for you:

I, FAGGOT OP, HEREBY DISAVOW THE RESUME IN THE ORIGINAL POST

P.S. I LOVE MUDDY DICKS

twitter.com/pjreddie/status/1022277935590326272

Get Titan V from CEO Nvidia sell it for inmigrant rigths group, BTFO Jow Forums

Thank you OP

That's unnecessary, OP. And you definitively don't suck. You asked for criticism/critique, that's all. But anyway, lets move on.

Ok sorry sir.

>no mlp references and pictures
>not in 7 pages
>no eye catching colors
>boring shit hr won't care
Thrown in the bin honestly, I work as HR btw

The more i think about it, the less i want to send anything formatted and just send resume in .txt format

then post previous thread pls, i'm actually refreshing my cv and this looks pretty fine "simple"

>If a resume, remove the TA experience. If a CV, put the TA experience on top.
i heard in US you make a difference between these? what's the difference?

here in eu we most normies slap the name that sounds better to them

L A T E X
AA
T T
E E
X X

Isn't whole academia a dicksucking contest anyway? If your prof is well known it's trivial to coauthor a paper in so-called premier conferences. And at the end of the day implmentations and numbers seem to be what really matter.

If the endgame is R&D as opposed to a faculty position he seems to have overachieved compared to most.

t. prospective grad in eecs

I see most of your arguments (don't really agree with absolutely all of them, I'm not using it actively to search for something else for example), but a couple of responses:
>Did you put the authors list on your publications?
Good point, I omitted them for lack of space.

>If you ever had a good GPA, you might want to add that to the education section.
Not American, so I don't really have a GPA. However, I find listing your GPA to be first kind of tacky and secondly irrelevant once you've graduated a bachelor's (there are usually grade requirements for getting accepted to post-grads).

>Your education timings are really bad
It's not ideal, but I can't really do anything about it. I have a couple of reasons (such as working full time and part time for most of my studies) as well as a personal reason when asked. Four years for a bachelor's is not really that uncommon in my country, but four years for a master's is bad. But at least I have work experience to show for for that time.

Résumés are always a single page and supposed to highlight your most relevant skills, CVs are supposed to reflect your entire work history and are 2-4 pages long.

yes, they ask questions, but it dont has to be unusual
maybe the guys wife died in childbirth, so he spent 3 years at home with the kid and then worked another 3 year 2 jobs a day to have tons of money for the kid..
whatever sane reason comes to your mind

>resume vs CV
then i guess both words apply in most cases lol

It's never been a problem for me. I have been asked in interviews, but they always seem happy with my answer (working in order to support myself + bad breakup where gf slept with our landlord and former friend which left me homeless and I needed to support myself)

>using graphics
Straight to the trash.
t. working at a temp recruiting company

>I find listing your GPA to be first kind of tacky and secondly irrelevant
I thought the same but it turns out people care about it a lot.
>Four years for a bachelor's is not really that uncommon in my country,
Yes, there's nothing wrong with that. It's the post-grad timings that are bad.
Your work experience is definitely going to work in your favor if that's the kind of job you want to do, but it won't be helpful if you want to stay in academia.

Yes, you are correct on all accounts, sadly.

I'm luckily not planning on that, I was disillusioned with academia already when doing my master's. I'm working as an engineer now while finishing up my PhD with the company I have collaborated with since the beginning. My PhD has always been tightly linked with that company and that was primarily the reason I accepted that I'd go "back" and do a PhD in the first place. Doesn't mean that it's unacademic though, I've aimed for some academic conferences and submitted to a journal some weeks ago. It's just more engineering focused. Would have been finished this year, if my advisors hadn't insisted on that I need an additional publication.

Attached: geeCurriculum.jpg (1768x1932, 189K)

Take one of these two
>semiring-based CSP solver
>inearizability checker for lockfree structures (must be able to verify at least singly-linked structures like Michael&Scott and DGLM queue)

I don't agree with you, theres a lot of reasons a sane person may have to extend their MSc for a few years. For a lot, its working full time (for whatever reason).

Bro delete this

Not so good, you're still enjoying a bunch of privileges:
>able bodied and not disabled
>cis gendered and not trans
>not having a "body positive" body shape
>not having a oppressed religion

Tell that to HR, PIs and other RDs. See how they respond to your fantastic argument.

why

Internet 101: Don't put your personal shit online

fuck on outa here i aint scared

Aight man, just being careful

you're hired to a nigerian cyber company
good luck

>Tell that to HR, PIs and other RDs
What the fuck is a PI and an RD?

>no phone now
>msn email
>wordpad CV

that's unironically the average Jow Forums user.

checked and keked !!

fuck you show yours

This is probably the best resume I've seen on Jow Forums, OP. Not much to put my finger on here, maybe not list PhD as experience.

I am a hiring manager for one of the FAANGs. While some of your achievements sound superficially impressive, they are no doubt the product of your overprivileged white cis male background. I am more looking to hire more people of colour, females and transgendered individuals to balance the toxic masculinity in the field and to supercharge innovation.

Then maybe tell your recruiters to stop e-meeting me?

Attached: Screenshot 2018-12-22 at 13.44.55.png (1196x1330, 349K)

Our recruiters will contact just about anyone. They work on commission. However, don't be surprised if, after a day of interviews, you find yourself getting denied. You are just too cookie-cutter, I don't see you bringing an edge to our organisation, and you don't seem to align to our values.

>Nice to e-meet you!

Attached: disgust.gif (175x177, 493K)

The sad part is that you actually sound like a real recruiter does. Technology and science are so dead.

>Currently developing a framework for high-performance distributed I/O, resource sharing, and composable architectures in PCIe clusters.
I have no idea what this means, but sounds impressive. Is it,Jow Forums? Or is it just buzzword bingo?

what i find disgusting that most recruiters spend maybe ~2 days of their employment building up some wall of text (if not provided already by HR/whatever else department) and just spam it all around
but expect us to write novels, like $their_company is the best all around and we should be crawling at their feet for just an interview..

~50% of the postings will require some more specific knowledge and at that point, most companies are not really in the position to play the big guy or shill out on the pay/benefits/..; but possible hires shouldn't think too much of themselves because they're not that hot shit as they think
~35% you will be searching for people for l1 tech or customer support.. you know you will hire anyone who looks competent enough and most of the people you're about to hire will take the job even if it means working shifts/holidays/.., if he's a failure, you'll let him go at the end of probation period; don't try to sell something you're not providing
~10% you're some niche employer (google, facebook, cern, etc..) that simply looks too good on a resume and the hire will let your dick slid down his throat for those 2-3 years, no matter how you play your cards (and you will always have enough people to choose from because you're lucky enough to work for a company that is desired)
~5% you're a "family company" = startup - whose product is the big thing for next 5-10 years, but still only at the first few years so you can allow yourself to be a comfy family (you don't act like dicks), not large enough to be overrun by processes and internal rules for every shit - but you'll be either hiring new grades or burned out corporate brains that had enough after ~20 years of their professional life and just wan to take relax for the next few years after hoarding enough money in exchange for their personal life

I'm only ~7years into my career but already burned and one time i tried to switch company, most time i met total dickbacks of hiring agents

not him and unironically thanks for the suggestions.

I got burned out after just 1 year, but I was exposed to office politics much more intensively than people usually are.
Still, good job on these 7 years. You're quite resistant.

i mean, i was the meh hire that went into corporation so it's kinda my fault
always did a bit more and studied in my free time so i crawled to a position that i was comfortable with after 2 years already, packed my skills and extended my knowledge for the rest
my team and direct manager was always fine and were the only reason (and good pay) i've held out as long as i did there

tried to switch different company 5 years in but either the offer was laughable, was treated like shit.. had ~3 decent interviews, all in startup like companies that treated the whole process more professionally yet still on friendly level than everyone else (didn't take because 2 wanted to relocate - would have gone for it if homeoffice wouldn't be limited and last was basically something else that the post initially suggested)

maybe i should just get back to uni (25y but who cares), relax for next 3-5 years and enjoy all those moments and benefits that come with being a student

>post top 0.1% job candidate resume
>critique this

wot

>Resume Critique
but I never even started a critique

>I work in HR btw
day of the rope for you faggots is coming

One day I will invent a machine that lets me reach through the internet and stab you in the face.

"I see"

wew why not ?

Based and underrated

>HR cucks are relevant

Forgive me master, just this once i will go all out... *copy pastes entire job posting in 0 size white font at bottom of resume*

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED
CHINK INFORMATION GATHERER

I hate all of you

Does this actually help for keyword abuse?

You do this way too perfectly.

"secretly worked many years for google, not proud of it"
Really good post, bro.
*selects all the chimneys*

all of the pros of computer-related jobs, what are your advice to fresh graduates? I am seeking internship for next semester, but after that semester I will be graduating hopefully..

Attached: x.png (1240x1754, 253K)

Yeah, I mean, this recruiter literally just spammed me some internal form. I replied to her, saying that I'm not really looking for some fresh out of graduation stuff since I'm already working, but she clearly didn't read my mail and just repeated the same generic stuff she would for entry level recruitment.

Folk high school != high school

t. Dane

Clusterfuck of autism. Remember that retarded women rule HR, they will bin that because they don't understand it.

>Nice to e-meet you!

Attached: srsly.gif (320x264, 3.09M)

>only one résumé
Nice derailment, OP. Shouldn't have posted a résumé that's better than 99.9% of the professional fizzbuzzers on Jow Forums.

Bump