Why doesn't Intel just make CPUs below 1nm?

Why doesn't Intel just make CPUs below 1nm?

Attached: 1514739375031.png (562x456, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nptel.ac.in/courses/115106076/Module 12/Module 12.pdf
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leakage_(electronics)
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Quantum Mechanics is a bitch, it's hard to keep electrons from jumping between transistors the smaller you get. Also it's hard to mass produce something that's roughly just over 4 times the size of a carbon atom

Can you?

electrons can quantum tunnel randomly at very small distances. this makes the smallest possible size for a transistor in a silicon chip approximately 5nm.
tl;dr: quantum fuckery.

>5nm
It's also had to be mentioned that that 5nm have nothing to do with next node called 5nm.

No. Just no. There is no "quantum" anything, this isn't poorly understood near magic effects of some mythical theoretical particle. This is simply electrons being so small they can move through any material at the path of least resistance, because nothing can exert 100% perfect electrical control over them. It is current leakage. It is nothing but current leakage. It is current leakage in short channel devices, and it happens at literally every feature size, it is not exclusive to small FinFET devices like upcoming 5nm EUV FinFETs. Even planar devices have extremely high degrees of leakage through their channels, directly under the gates, electrons still leak out. Yet despite this the transistors still function.

Quantum tunneling is a meme regurgitated by people who know nothing about the field of FETs.

Ok amd shill.

Intel has been capable of making 1nm chips since the 2000s when it introduced core duo.

It just chooses not to as there is no one that can compete with it.

Yikes

Just make CPUs bigger how retarded are these tech companies

Smaller = more expensive, more compact
How long will you shills keep buying into smaller is better?

honestly i wonder why they don't do this. I'd rather have 1 big boy chip that runs faster and is easier to cool than the smallest possible thing.

bigger is slower and hotter
signals have to move further which takes more time and generates more heat

Wow it moved .1 seconds slower giys

oh yeah, oops

Smaller transistors with shorter channels require less drive voltage to switch. That saves power, allows faster clocks at a given power level, has lower gate delay, can yield more dies per wafer, etc.
There is no just making "bigger" dies. This is retarded.

Whatever you say IBM shill

Attached: 1543959721257.jpg (470x470, 31K)

You're retarded
t. Physicist

You're nothing but a shitposting spastic LARPer.

>It is current leakage. It is nothing but current leakage.
LMAO no that's completely wrong. Semi-conductors on the scale of CPU transistors require quantum tunneling to operate.

I know it's hard for an unemployed uneducated faggot to understand people actually having degrees, but you'll have to try. How's the weather in your mom's basement?

You're just regurgitating buzzwords you don't understand. Stop trying, little kid.

>even more LARPing
The short channel effect isn't new, it isn't magic, and it isn't some special "quantum" property that only happens in single digit process nodes. Its current leakage, you high school drop out.
You don't even have the vocabulary to try and articulate why this is incorrect.

There is no perfectly controlled channel. The best gate cannot prevent all leakage, and the channel is where the overwhelming majority of leakage occurs. The rest of the metal stack is also subject to leakage, but far less, as is the channel during its off state.
Stop trying to talk about things you know nothing about. You have no background in EE or anything else. You're a LARPing retard.

Fuck outta here gook nigger
You're nothing near a physicist.

> t. I don't understand physics beyond Phyiscs 1100

>even more retarded shitposting because you're in over your head
Thanks for wasting my time.

So do you think wave equations are a meme?

Literally gook tier shit posting now

> Implying physicists are all gooks
Are you trying to force a meme? Because it's not working

>HURRR I DUN KNOW WHAT DOPED SEMICONDUCTORS ARE DURRRRR
>ME ELEECTRIC ENGINEER

Attached: 1534696039748.jpg (800x450, 41K)

>one post
>forcing a meme
>still implying you're not a NEET

Well I'm engaged in education, employment, and training, so I would say I'm outright stating that I'm not a neet.

>using even more words you don't understand
Why are you trying?
All wafers are doped, user. What the fuck do you think that term means? Every wafer from bulk to advanced ET-SOI requires heavy use of dopants when its processed before its even ready to be used by a fab.

You don't know what these words are. Stop trying to pretend like you aren't a worthless NEET loser.

Do you realise just how expensive and complicated the optics are to manufacture at current process sizes?

Then you should know why semi-conductors are doped and what you mean by "current leakage", aka "electrons tunneling" aka "quantum tunneling".

Attached: (You) are full of shit.png (2568x846, 154K)

You have no idea why wafers are doped, you have no idea what dopants are, you don't know the difference between bulk and SOI wafers, you don't know what any of these terms are. You're a shitposting reddit NEET regurgitating buzzwords you read in some Verge article.

Good job proving youre memeposter status.
Read that first sentence, user. Read it good. Read it out loud. Make sure you memorize it for the rest of your life, because its fucking retarded, and you're retarded for posting it.
What barrier can an electron "classically" not pass? Go on, I dare you to answer that one because electrons can leak through anything. Literally anything. Older larger planar nodes have *more* current leakage than modern smaller nodes. FinFETs have only a fraction of the leakage than the planar gates they replaced, yet leakage is still a quantified metric of every process ever.

There is no material known to man that can perfectly control the flow of current and prevent leakage. Electron fields cannot be total constrained and as such some leakage is always a quantified characteristic of the electrostatic profile of a given process. So called quantum tunneling is a popsci meme that only literal retards opine about.

Attached: 28-14.jpg (1064x714, 87K)

Someone who actually knows what they're talking about.
Too bad most of Jow Forums are armchair experts and think they know what they're talking about cause they watched a couple videos on youtube.

>electrons can leak through anything. Literally anything
Gee I wonder if that could be due to tunneling you illiterate retard.

>muh tunneling
Yeah, its called current leakage. Way to argue in a circle, you LARPing NEET retard. Current leakage happens in every process ever. It isn't anything new. It isn't some quantum meme that only applies to single digit process nodes. All transistors have current leakage. Different gate topology is utilized to minimize channel leakage and keep devices functional.

You're regurgitating words you don't understand, about a topic you don't understand, because you're a low IQ NEET LARPer.
You're welcome to keep it up though. I won't waste any more time with you niggerfaggots.

Do you understand that electrons behave like particles at an atomic scale? I hope you realize this conversation is just me laughing as you shit yourself on a technology forum.

Electrons "behave like a particle" at every scale, you complete moron

So what are your thoughts on quantum mechanics, oh great and retarded one?

>YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS SUBJECT
>Proceeds to do the exact thing he's complaining about
lmao

That's why we need to make bigger chips

what a fuckin retard, seriously lmaoing my anus off reading this comment

But how does schrodinger's cat fit into all this?

ITT: LARPing NEETs pretend to laugh at a factually correct man with an EE degree who graduated with honors
This is what you are, Jow Forums

> When other people try to explain their credentials, they're larping
> But when I do it, I should be taken seriously
Kill yourself faggot.

Attached: 1386343641213.png (800x800, 9K)

You may have gotten a piece of paper saying you know what you're talking about but you really don't.
nptel.ac.in/courses/115106076/Module 12/Module 12.pdf
If you think quantum mechanics is false it just means you're a moron.

Attached: 1520403386134.png (1294x1618, 300K)

Finally someone's that based, and red pilled.

Most of the people arguing this man aren't even trying to explain anyrhing and are just using epic memes and meme arrows to discredit this basedboy.

Free 6ix9ine

He's not saying quantum mechanics don't exist, he's saying this "electrodes being too small at 5nm" is something that's being overused and is already an issue because electrodes already leak.

>100,000 nanometers
>nano

retarded americans definitely can't handle the metric system

just go back to measuring things with fingers and feet like the fucking peasant you are

Why do you believe quantum tunneling isn't "real". There's plenty of research to fall back on showing how incredibly accurate quantum mechanics is, including the effect of tunneling.

ITT: retard niggers>69032048
>
>>>
>Anonymous 12/23/18(Sun)09:49:16 No.69032353▶
>File: 1520403386134.png (300 KB, 1294x1618)
>300 KB
>
> You may have gotten a piece of paper saying you know what you're talking about but you really don't.
> nptel.ac.in/courses/115106076/Module 12/Module 12.pdf
> If you think quantum mechanics is false it just means you're a moron.
>>>
>Anonymous 12/23/18(Sun)09:50:29 No.69032369▶
>
> Finally someone's that based, and red pilled.
> Most of the people arguing this man aren't even trying to explain anyrhing and are just using epic memes and meme arrows to discredit this basedboy.
> Free 6ix9ine
>>>
>Anonymous 12/23/18(Sun)09:51:59 No.69032384▶
>

No, nigger. Its you who doesn't understand anything that you're reading.
Electrons can leak through anything. Get this through your low IQ nigger mind. Electrons cannot be perfectly controlled, the BEOL will always have some amount of leakage, transistors do not have a true off state so they still leak some degree when totally idle as well. This is true of every transistor ever, because it i a function of electrons. This has been true since day 1. This isn't a new effect. The short channel effect and all its consequences aren't new. Planar transistors dealt with this as well. The semiconductor industry in the 80s and 90s was already well aware of this. There is no new magical effect that is only relegated to small transistors, and as such quantum tunneling is a meme that only shit eating children regurgitate mindlessly.

You are an absolute fucking retard. You're so monumentally stupid you cannot even conceptualize the implications of my statements and the out of context link and image you posted.

>ITT retards who don't know about pilot wave theory

BASED & REDPILLED

> t. assblasted retard

Attached: I replied to everyone.jpg (640x448, 66K)

stay seethed :)

> replies to everyone
> copies parts of the post data in autistic fit of rage
> lol stay seething
If this is a troll you sir are a genius

>Electrons can leak through anything. Get this through your low IQ nigger mind. Electrons cannot be perfectly controlled, the BEOL will always have some amount of leakage, transistors do not have a true off state so they still leak some degree when totally idle as well.
Yes, that's called quantum tunneling. When a quantum object such as an electron has a non-zero probability of ending up on the side of an energy gap that would be insurmountable in a classical system. If you can't understand why people are calling you retarded then your education clearly failed you.
But you're going to tell me I'm wrong, and then go on to again explain the concept of quantum tunneling, while also saying quantum tunneling doesn't exist.

Attached: 1537632682125.png (750x900, 588K)

ok thanks for replying, now take your (you) and kindly fuck off

didn't read stay seethed

Also just to get a gun on your reply
>FUCK NUCLEAR PHYSICS
>FUCK QUANTUM MECHANICS
>I AM AN *ELECTRICAL ENGINEER* I KNOW BETTER THAN THOSE KEKS

>nothing can exert 100% perfect electrical control over electrons
>what is a mechanical relay
user 0 me 1

> Getting btfo thus hard
> Didn't read lol
I will be cross-posting this on /sci/ at your direct expense

It isn't called quantum tunneling. Its called current leakage. The term 'quantum tunneling" itself is a popsci meme of modern invention. It isn't some new mechanic. It isn't any different from what the entire industry has been dealing with since forever.
You flat out are regurgitating terms you don't understand, without understanding the basic context even.
It is current leakage. All transistors have current leakage. Planar transistors have current leakage. 500nm devices have leakage, 5nm FinFET devices have drastically less.
You are the prime example of Dunning-Kruger. You didn't enter this thread to talk about the nuances of electrostatics. You entered this thread to regurgitate a meme about short channel devices that you demonstrably don't even understand. You're nothing more than a "I LOVE SCIENCE" redditor opining about something you have no background in.

Any material you use as an intermediary will leak current. Even the best insulators will leak current.

didnt read stayt seethed lmaoo

intel is trash company run by kikes
don't expect any innovation from them

>seething so hard you forget how to spell

epic fail
s..e goes in all fields

pic related ur butholle after gettiong seethed lmao

At 32nm/22nm
>LMAO muh tunneling
>14nm chips will never work
And then 14nm chips hit the market, they don't magically break over night
>LMAO tunneling
>10nm chips will never work
And then 10nm chips hit the market, they don't magically break over night
>LMAO tunneling
>7nm chips will never work
And then 7nm chips hit the market, they don't magically break over night
>LMAO tunneling
>5nm chips will never work
>*You are here*
>LMAO tunneling
>3nm chips will never work

>It isn't called quantum tunneling.
>The term 'quantum tunneling" itself is a popsci meme of modern invention.
Anything and everything can tunnel. Would you say a fullerene molecule is "leaking" through an energy gap?
At that point you're arguing semantics, because either way the physics itself is the same; An object has a non-zero probability of being measured in a state that would require more energy than is in the system, and therefore given enough time it will eventually "tunnel" (that is the word physicists use) to the higher energy state.
No one cares about your EE bullshit. We are talking about physics, which your entire field relies on to even exist.

yep stay seethed bub :-)

Grasp at more straws, dipshit. People don't bring up the quantum tunneling meme in regards to older planar devices, it is a meme exclusively because uneducated retards like you bring it up in relation to modern short channel devices. Retards like you who don't understand the basics of how a FET operates will talk out of their asses about muh tunneling in regards to future 5nm and 3nm GAA devices.
This has been a trend over the years among popsci reading tech illiterate niggers. It was a trend at 14nm with naysayers. It was a trend before 7nm hit the market. It is a trend now with you retarded niggers naysaying future 5nm devices.

You have no idea what you're talking about. You're repeating words you don't understand, like every other NEET retard shitposter on this board.

>MUH EE
Again, no one cares about your applied physics terminology. You are trying to say quantum tunneling doesn't exist, and prove it by explaining how quantum tunneling works. Your head is so far up your ass that you don't even understand the physics of what you're doing.

He's a seriously question. How small can you theoretically make a chip?

:DDD

No, you low IQ nigger. That isn't what I'm saying. That isn't what I have ever said.
I'm saying that you and every other NEET in this thread regurgitating buzzwords are shit eating retards and prime examples of Dunning-Kruger.

Theoretically there is a field called of logic devices known as quantum junctions that would enable scaling below angstrom scale. Though right now the biggest hindrance to scaling is still the BEOL or back end of line. The metal stack used to carry power and IO to/from the chip and board are drastically larger in scale than FEOL or front end of line features. Improving BEOL scaling could dramatically reduce die area without touching front end feature size.

Careful, EE user will claim that atoms aren't real and you can make smaller and smaller chips

Quantum tunneling gets more and more likely at smaller scales you dunning kruger. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leakage_(electronics) en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling

But EE-larp-user, I thought quantum mechanics was a buzzword?

Quantum tunneling isn't a buzzword you mong. Learn physics before talking about physics.

Check the semi conductor part on the leakage link especially.

Stop trying to rely on wikipedia articles, kid.
Learn what the short channel effect is.
You can look up IEDM metrics throughout the years, current leakage of a given process isn't a secret.
FinFETs have less current leakage than older planar devices which had larger feature size. Why is that, retard? Why is it that in practice a smaller transistor leaks less than a larger one?

The answer, retard, is that different gates are used, as I have already pointed out. Different gate topology is used to control the channel region in prohibitively short channel devices. FinFETs exist specifically because of this. GAAs exist specifically because of this.

HOT

HOT

OFF THE PRESSES FOR YOU SPERGS

SUPER HOT OFF THE PRESSES

Attached: CPUguys.jpg (763x1100, 335K)

Accurate.

Excellent, I can't wait for ee-user to reply about how he didn't read it and that he has a degree

>Electrons can leak through anything
I fucking knew buying a SSD was a mistake.

Yikes and redditspade cringepilled

AMD will release 7nm CPUs, they'll become prolific, and retards will wonder how muh quantum tunneling didn't prevent it.
Intel will eventually release mass market 10nm chips, and retards will wonder the same about them to a lesser degree.
Then AMD will release 5nm chips to the mass market. Yet again retards will scratch their heads wondering how much quantum meme tunneling didn't make this impossible.
intel will probably catch up at some point.
And then AMD will release 3nm GAA chips. Once more a cacophony of the retarded will release their guttural noises to indicate confusion as to how any of this is possible, because muh meme tunneling should make it impossible according to their small IQ takes.

In 2023~ when 3nm GAA is ubiquitous, when the industry as a whole has adopted the GAA as the standard transistor topology, there will be threads filled with you shit eating NEET LARP niggers opining about how making devices any smaller is impossible because muh tunnel meme.

>implying this isn't an oldfag meme
You have to absolutely go back nuPHD user

No. Just no. There is no "quantum" anything, this isn't poorly understood near magic effects of some mythical theoretical particle. This is simply electrons being so small they can move through any material at the path of least resistance, because nothing can exert 100% perfect electrical control over them. It is current leakage. It is nothing but current leakage. It is current leakage in short channel devices, and it happens at literally every feature size, it is not exclusive to small FinFET devices like upcoming 5nm EUV FinFETs. Even planar devices have extremely high degrees of leakage through their channels, directly under the gates, electrons still leak out. Yet despite this the transistors still function.

Quantum tunneling is a meme regurgitated by people who know nothing about the field of FETs.

Anything else cool happen in the future? Does Trump build a second wall?

No is saying anything about it being impossible idiot.

Literally seething and redditpilled.

How big are electrons?

but we are the computer

see