/wdg/ - Web Development General

More arguing about frameworks edition.

Previous thread: >COMPLETE BEGINNERS GUIDE
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.org
codecademy.com
hackr.io
theodinproject.com/

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4x

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

>PHP resources
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A

Attached: wdg_mac_disibility.jpg (800x600, 139K)

Other urls found in this thread:

snipcart.com/blog/pwa-example-ecommerce-gatsby
snipcart.com/blog/react-ecommerce-gatsby-tutorial
gatsbyjs.org/docs/ecommerce-tutorial/
medium.com/zerotomastery/tech-trends-showdown-react-vs-angular-vs-vue-61ffaf1d8706
youtube.com/watch?v=nM0xDI5R50g
ux.stackexchange.com/a/109129
superbwebsitebuilders.com/how-to-switch-from-wordpress-to-wix/
freetutorials.eu/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>he actually shopped the see through part of the paper
what a beast

>being a vuetard
Look sweetie, Vue isn't different enough from react to justify businesses moving to Vue, but react was absolutely a big difference compared to their prior choice (usually Angular).
Learn React, bitch.

Also Gatsby is god.

How do you guys keep on top of the industry and where it's going? Are there specific people on github or twitter that you follow for this?

>you're supposed to figure it out from years experience required.
>the employers who want to pay more than market rate will put it in the listing
but the thing is some "junior frontend developer" roles pay over 30k meanwhile "frontend developer" roles sometime pay less than 30k so they should really just list the fucking salary

State of Javascript does just fine if you're in the JS world.

what are you using gatsby to build

specifically? not just "a static site"

>being a reactard
Look sweetie, react isn't different enough from vue to justify businesses moving to react , but vue was absolutely a big difference compared to their prior choice (usually Angular).
Learn Vue, bitch.
Also Hugo is god.

Currently two ecommerce sites for small clients (one demanded a blog but I told them I'll just legit make them a feed "like instagram" for them to post image updates instead and they ate that shit up - it ain't complicated it's literally just a fucking grid of images with a modal popup for more information that pulls from Prismic). Ez shit bb.
I mean, it's still static.

See the typical vuetard, much like every other chink, unable to create something original.

what are some good web development/programming communities? besides g of course

>Currently two ecommerce sites
just use shopify lmfao

Snipcart is better in every conceivable way at this point. Although it's not rocket science to roll your own these clients definitely aren't paying me enough for that.

Jow Forumswebdev
Quora I guess

hang on so what is a static site? wouldn't an ecommerce site be pretty dynanic and have lots of changing data and a backend

any books you would reccomend ? i find books can be better than online resources at first

They can be pretty dynamic, but they don't have to be a dynamic site.
However there are a lot of ways to make static sites not so... rigid. You can create triggers so that your site rebuilds whenever necessary (could even be a super simple cron job), you can use lambda functions, you can use external services to provide commenting functionality, add in login systems, etc. It's all pretty sweet.
snipcart.com/blog/pwa-example-ecommerce-gatsby
snipcart.com/blog/react-ecommerce-gatsby-tutorial
gatsbyjs.org/docs/ecommerce-tutorial/

As an example of how some things might work. It's fun. Static sites don't have to be super boring blogs.

is there a /g approved guide to setting polling rate and Mhz settings on high end mouse?

like, what's the methodology to determine what best for what a user wants/needs and what their system can handle?

how to optimize against the bottleneck?

Attached: 1544761785983.jpg (643x653, 313K)

what's a mouse? is that like an ancient touchscreen?

one of the first HID

not in webdev. It changes too rapidly. Use marksheet.io to learn html/css, javascript.info for JS

Looks like an awesome site, tyty

I want to start using a "Facebook app" on my website. Facebook now requires a privacy policy before you can activate your app. How do you guys create and implement a privacy policy on your site? Some people talk about using a third party service to host the privacy policy, but I'd rather host it on my own site.

bump

please help even if my question isn't "S" enough.

Hypothetically, if you were to make a website for a charity (for free, and something that won't require maintenance), what would you use?

A static website coded in plain HTML and CSS? Wordpress? Something else? And host it on Github, I assume?

I learned to code but didn't really learn this kind of real world logistics, so I don't know what you use, could any one give me just a pointer?

I'm not an expert either (might want to see other peoples' opinions before starting), but if I were to personally go about it:

if it's just a frontend, github pages with react + JavaScript (or maybe just javascript if you don't want to get too fancy). Then if I wanted I'd pay for a domain, or maybe the charity could provide one.

I'd make a repo, run `create react app`, push that code to remote without adding anything new, then figure out how to deploy a react page to a github pages site. That way I'd have my whole workflow figured out before I code anything.

I'd use github pages + jekyll. That's what I use for my dev blog.
ezpz

I want to play around with a web framework, where should I start.
Express.js seems to be the biggest fish, but seems to be minimalist and encourages pulling other libraries and stuff in and so there are other frameworks building on it.
Like MDN lists a bunch.

So, which one should I look into?

WordPress would let you pump out a site real fast. Unless you need the experience or something, it seems the most efficient choice for pro bono

Is /webdev/ oversaturated only in Burgerland because of all the pajeets and the insane amount of people in CS or is it all like that all over the world? Is the situation even that bad?

Attached: 131342535.jpg (1106x1012, 64K)

>private repositories are paid on github

Trash site, what do you gus recommend over it

GitLab and Bitbucket both offer free private repos. Also GitLab is open-source, and you can even self host it if you want.

>he doesnt have a student email and isnt getting a bunch of shit for free
K E K
gitlab is pretty good though

Thanks, Gitlab sounds decent

What do y'all use to organize notes/research notes/project notes? As well as keeping tabs on ongoing projects/clients?

Angular is the best front-end framework. Fight me.

Vue is like Angular but without its shitness

>Sublime Text / Notepad
>mindmup.com
>my own todo-list/note-taking webapp

Vue is completely useless and exclusively used by chinese evangelists. For that reason, Angular still remains superior in comparison.

Technically every front-end framework is useless

Speeding up production isn't useless, nice attempt at a technicality vuetard.

>Literally posts the biggest + of Vue

Kek

Vue is the best because it's made by a chinese which means they have no shame copying the good parts of React and Angular.

>all these paid chinese vue shills

>medium.com/zerotomastery/tech-trends-showdown-react-vs-angular-vs-vue-61ffaf1d8706

React or Angular is the only answer.

uk has shutter salaries than the US even london isn't that great

>Why is the newer framework lower in demand
>Why is the demand for a chink library with primarily a chink userbase so low in English job listing sites
>Why do western corporations prefer to use a technology backed by western tech giant rather than a chink open source project.
hurr popularity equals quality

Attached: 1542338185070.png (1280x720, 707K)

>chinese
>quality
lol

Where does one get the resources to learn react/angular/whichever framework in a structured manner without having to pay for it? Is there a torrent site like cgpeers is for cg artists?

Is it bad to use checkboxes to for the open/close state of clickable popups?

I like how vue puts html+css+js to a single file
no other opinions about it

That's possible with Angular.

I'm trying to scrape the view count from youtube videos with google sheets' IMPORTXML()
This is the xpath i get from chrome dev tools (pic related):
>//*[@id="count"]/yt-view-count-renderer/span[1]
but this returns nothing.
There is a bunch of solutions available on google, all of which use some xpath similar to this:
>//*[contains(@class, ‘watch-view-count’)]
This works but i would like to learn how to get the correct xpath myself in the first place.
Where does the "watch-view-count" class come from? I can't find it anywhere in the html, and I dont know where else to look.

Attached: 1515303186660.png (854x402, 249K)

there's no watch-view-count.
Which URL are you scraping?

Why not just use their API?

I'm in some desperate need for help anons.

I'm using jQuery to add click events and I cannot fucking disable double/multiple clicks.

I've tried
1) $.when(func).then(func);
2) .one('click', func) and then re-adding .one('click', func) again at end of function. Tried same thing with flags and .click(). Which should re-enable it when it's done.

I tried a few other things I saw on stack overflow and none of them fucking work. It's driving me insane.

If I spam click the button it still registers and creates several elements when it should only be creating one...

I'm not sure what to do, could anyone offer some insight?

Web development is fucking garbage... This is the last website I do from scratch.

If you open youtube with an unknown or old browser (IMPORTXML says it's google sheets in its user-agent) youtube serves an older version which has different elements.
pic related.

Attached: 1539661865462.png (841x302, 62K)

That's because youtube is full of js, the view you're trying to retrieve selectors from it's not the same you get from the server initially

Web page structure changes heavily because it is modified at runtime when page loads a buch of js, to verify it just curl-wget that url and see the structure

To be able to scrap it after that shitload of js has already run you would need to use selenium

.one removes itself when triggered.
but if you add it right away again and then trigger another click it'll do exactly the same.

don't attach the event after you clicked once or use a timer that adds the event after a few milliseconds to avoid accidental double clicks.

I'm using basic video URLs such as this youtube.com/watch?v=nM0xDI5R50g
I don't believe their API provides metrics for videos outside of a channel you own.
This is weird, why is the watch-view-count request working while the other one isn't?

Interesting I'll look into it thank you!

Will a few milliseconds suffice? Wouldn't I need to take into account the speed of someone's computer? Perhaps 50ms maybe be sufficient for some computers and 500ms for others.

Can you convice me why I shouldn't worry about this?

Adding on to this post: Is there a reference I could use? Perhaps something that happens every X cycles which I could wait for to trigger the re-adding of the event handler?

Yes, a few as in 500 or even 1 second.
You need to adjust this on your own, I don't know how your application works.

I wouldn't worry about double clicks at all, if someone wants to spam a button, let them.
Granted you want to have the ability to remove the created elements in case of an actual accidental double click.

Also look at ux.stackexchange.com/a/109129

>2018
>jquery

thats gonna be a yikes from me

This is beautifully said but I still find it a bit strange that there hasn't been a proper, "non-hacky", or clustered solution to this issue yet. I'm going to do some more research and if I can't find anything I might just make a .wait function myself. Thank you very much for your help.

Also, in case you are curious, I just need this for accidental double clicks. The operation is a bit expensive (client side).

>2018
>being you

yikes

What would be the proper way to store company information such as address, email, etc. in a database?
Simply create a dedicated table with as many columns as needed? Are there any best practices? Am I'm just overthinking, because it's odd to have a table that would only have 1 row?

As many columns as needed, format before storing.

>using radio buttons to handle routing without javascript

Attached: images.jpg (251x200, 8K)

I see.
How would you go about retrieving the information from the table? Getting it by id doesn't seem very robust, even if you restrict the ability to delete the row.

Why would you only have 1 row in there?
Store the address with the company in as many columns as you like, unless you know you have multiple addresses.

You retrieve them like any other row/column, why would getting it by the id (I assume you mean company id?) not be robust? What.

Fortunately for you, the lookups are already handled for you (in terms of the back end hash functions). You just need to write a query.

Is it possible to migrate a wordpress site including the db to wix? I've been googling and it looks like the answer is no.

This link kind of suggests that you can however.
superbwebsitebuilders.com/how-to-switch-from-wordpress-to-wix/

I'm asking for a friend who wants their website to be managed by people who are "completely technically illiterate"

They aren't paying me very much so I do not want to spend too much time on it.

I suppose what I was asking was how to store and retrieve information in said table.

Let's say you wanted to store tel, email, address, would you add all information in one row AND name each column after the information stored, or would you store the information on multiple rows and have only 3 columns in the table (e.g.: id, name/slug, info)?

The queries would end up being slightly different obviously, but that's not my issue.

columns unless you really need dynamical fields.
although modern databases let you store JSON already, so any extra fields that are exclusive to one address I'd just store like that.

just don't do tel1, tel2, tel3 etc.
then you want to store those in their own table.

This is one of those problems that doesn't really have a right solution people humans are too retarded not to standardise their addresses. My approach has a few tables:
>country
>>name e.g. Ireland
>>local name e.g. "Éire"
>>iso code e.g. "IE"
This is just to help me in the future when I decide to make my website go global
Then I have another table
>address
>country
>postcode
>street line 1
>street line 2
>street line 3
>town/city
>state/county
>zipcode/postcode
>notes
literally anything that falls outside of the norm goes into notes as an addendum
however this isn't an efficient system cus the last 3 columns are going to have repeated values, so I might try normalize that out into more tables
however, I am absolutely NOT going to be fitting this system to work with other countries because it's hard enough getting this right for my own

forgot to mention company emails
>email domain table
>>company
>>email domain suffix
>>admin/owner's full email address
then on employee records, you pick the company they work for and then fill out an email prefix

I swear I'm /wdg/'s bot with this
/*Free udemy courses*/
freetutorials.eu/

thank you m9

A thread full of developers and no one has ever had to create a privacy policy??

yw m11

Interesting, thanks.

literally copy paste some generic policy and change what you need and host

Just be good and you'll be fine!

don't store anything other than tokens and just copy paste some generic one

Bump

I've built a php chat app and I want to include it in my friends website, so what's the procedure?
Do I just "include" my chat.php and config.php to his work under a single navbar item? So basically, if he has a specific "Live Chat" page, what do I do? I've only built back end apps, never mixed them with front end. My HTML knowledge covers form-making, and that's it.

Pen and paper unironically.

and React

This depends so much on how you built your chat.
We can't know, you wrote it.

>reading programming elixir book
>about 25% in
>feels like im not learning anything

Anyone here who knows Elixir/Phoenix? How did you learn this?

I built the form via html, POST method, everything is saved to an auto-created log.html, which does shit like (x joined the chat, and also saves each individual message which then is displayed in the chat itself)

Noice so you just append html to the page? It will end up being a huge html page right? or do you delete the head of the appended messages after a while?

no no, it looks like this
this is all there is to it
Just wondering if I can somehow include the entire project folder to my friends website, not sure how that works

Attached: Screenshot_2.png (493x608, 18K)

you might want to use just an iframe then.

ok this is epic
So considering I have 3 files I need (index.php,config.php,log.html) how would that work?

i have a folder with some text files and i want to use node to do convert the text in those files by splitting every newline, creating p tags for each one and create a html file for each corresponding text file in a destination folder.

all while live reloading that destination server on localhost whenever a change is made to a text file?? is this even possible i keep trying to use express but seems like it just serves templated files not sure how to do my transformation in between either

put it into any subdirectory like /chat/ and then

very epic, thank you

So I've got a weird question on my quiz

"Are these two variables the same:"
$randomString = “YouTubers”;
$randomString = “Google”;

What's that even supposed to mean?

"No."

what is the laravel of javascript?

Quick update, I just found that same quiz on the internet, and the answer is "yes".
Who was in the wrong here?