/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1497841250280.jpg (3558x2668, 815K)

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/491750/force-enable-hardware-acceleration-in-firefox
forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=225420
github.com/zimfw/zimfw
bookstackapp.com/
wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Runit
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Attached: 1444150979045.png (1098x1645, 1.09M)

install gentoo

guix is the new fad

is there a retard-proof guide to setting up a bspwm environment? Or even better is there a preconfigured bspwm distro like BunsenLabs for ob and Manjaro for i3?

That's were you are wrong kiddo

Attached: improving.png (1280x800, 42K)

>buy touch enabled Windows laptop
>installing Manjaro from USB
>"select storage device"
>list is 100% blank
What is the reason for this, it literally shows nothing.

>try to build some program
>requires gnu autoconf, gnu automake, gnu autopoint, gnu autotool, gnu gettext, gnu intltool, gnu libtool, gnu m4, gnu make
fuck you rms

GNOME or KDE

Tell me what I think about openSUSE

who?

we get stronger
every day

lxle, you're next

Attached: voidUp.png (190x22, 3K)

How do you want to built without a built toolchain?

Attached: 1504464930345.png (224x224, 30K)

install gentoo
>distrowatch
down the toilet with your opinion

Obongo ships these simply as "build-essentials", maybe that's more your cup of tea?

>install gentoo
bitch please
it's just a matter of days

Attached: void-up.png (192x289, 19K)

From the last thread - I'm not a Linux noob, but I stopped using it 10 years ago.
What are the preferred distros today?

Attached: 03.jpg (700x497, 47K)

Android is the most popular.

Ubuntu and Fedora are still highly rec'd distros for pretty much anybody.

I'd say there's been more of a push (last 5+ years) against very downstream distros. So, if Linux Mint was ever "good enough" for noobs to Linux, it's more common to see people recommend against it.

Going along with the above, I think there's been a push to just use the big "main" distros, regardless of their install/daily difficulty, due to the fact that you're going to get the best and clearest support from using them, versus using X/Y/Z downstream or small distro. Some that come to mind are Debian and Arch, although Ubuntu kinda falls under this umbrella (and so do the other *buntus) despite being a Debian offshoot.

Elementary os

Heh, you are getting some hilarious responses. Don't worry, it's still Debian.

do they still ship kde 3/4?

manjaro, at least according to distrowatch

>distrowatch

is there a cli-visualizer for fedora? if so does it work with pianobar? also can you get rid of borders on cinnamon? if so which config file would I have to go to?

Despite having mesa,lib32-mesa and xf87-video-nouveau, the "GLX" extension dosent seem to be installed when i go to run programs or use media players. Why?

yup. distrowatch. have a problem?

It's almost 2019. Why are you still subjecting yourself to (((free)))destktop.org cancer?

Attached: 2018-12-19-1545259795.png (1366x768, 1.4M)

this

Attached: desktop.png (1920x1200, 59K)

GuixSD, Parabola, Void, NixOS

why dhcp on ubuntu server inside virtualbox is setting inet ip? how can i achieve outside connections?

nvm i just bridged it

but if you could explain that question too me it would be awesome, just for my knowledge

I don't know but you can just change the port to get the version you want.

Attached: CRUX.png (726x366, 9K)

Something Debian based? I think Ubuntu is too bloated and behind desu but it or it's offshoots are recommended. Debian testing comes with a gui installer so it's not like you can fuck it up. The biggest issue with Debian is I don't think .deb files work out of the box so you'll need to know the command "sudo apt-get install ". I also hear Fedora was good at some point but I've never used it so take that with a grain of salt.

If you can just try some out in VirtualBox until you find something you like. The differences are far less then their similarities. So just boot what's comfy.

lol

Does the linux version of firefox support hardware acceleration for videos if you are using a nvidia card?

Ubuntu is based on Debian Unstable, IIRC. I can't imagine it's got older packages than Debian Testing.

I don't know the answer to your question, but
I recommend playing videos in mpv (instead of in a web browser). With mpv and youtube-dl installed, you can just feed it most URLs and have it open. Supports video, audio, images. Works on way more than just youtube, by the way. I also recommend not using an nvidia gpu if you can help it, but that's more advice for the future. I don't expect you to buy/sell a GPU all of a sudden.

I found a few relevant links that might help.
askubuntu.com/questions/491750/force-enable-hardware-acceleration-in-firefox
forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=225420
These posts are old, but I believe the first one probably answers your question. It is someone using an nvidia gpu, although it's an old one.

Any ffmpeg users here? How can I convert a bunch of .png and .bmp files in a folder into 92% .jpg while keeping the originals intact?

Use imagemagick.

How to enable monitor mode in Kali I am brainlet

for i in ./*.png; do convert "${i}" -quality 92 "${i}.jpg"; done

Didn't test it tho, but that's how you'd do it.

Leave your neighbors WiFi alone, or I'll tell your mom.

Try CRUX, is easy if you know a bit about scripts and compilation.

old server here
xeon, 1x ssd, 2x hdd
want to install urbackup on the ssd
urbackup is a backup server, centralized system
used it already it works great

I want to use btrfs in raid 0 on those two hdds where urbackup will store the backups
it works nicely and there are lot of benefits
deduplication, speed, unlimited incremental updates,...

NOW FOR THE ACTUAL QUESTION

I deploy this and in a few months I would want to run update of it
whole underlaying unix system or the urbackup server itself
before I do update I would want to ofcourse bakup the system
in case shit goes wrong
now what is the best way in this initial state to go about this?

First thing I thought I should go proxmox
not because of just capability to jus snapshot the VM or container but because of ability to use the server easily for other things
but then it turns out proxmox would be problematic when it comes to btrfs drives getting directly to the VMs. And also whole question is still there, what if it goes to shit when proxmox itself is being updated? Also I can just use docker if want to add other services to the server.

Another option is getting btrfs on the ssd, the system drive, I feel not confident enough there.

The best way so far is just going to just dd the system drive before update to some external drive, or use pirated acronis I have or clonezila... theres no additional points of failure added, but it will be kinda bothering that I will have to go to the server and deal with it 30-60 min before doing update.

Feels amateurish

so any solutions comes to other linux users mind?

Attached: 41amREyM9+L.png (512x512, 18K)

If I wanted to test a kernel can I scp the system.map and the vmlinuz to a /boot/ partition in a VM?
Do I need to send anything else?

Ubuntu LTS. I'm still on 16.04 and it's great, but I'll be upgrading to 18.04 soon.

don't

can i still run blender, lmms, krita and gimp without systemd

pyload is SHIT and jdownloader dosent start downloas. What are other alternatives for mass downloading?

I unironically asked for my neighbors permission to crack his WiFi plz user Kun help me I’m home for the holidays and it sucks big shits I’m so bored

You know you can, why even asking?

why? is gnome that bad?

If you like macos you’ll like gnome. If you’re not retarded you’ll like KDE. If you are retarded(smart) you’ll like i3gaps. If you’re retarded(dumb) you’ll like no gui ever and argue about how gui’s are for normies.

the one i use

i thought they need need systemdickk

Clever. Now tell me a generalization about people who like Unity.

Nothing works and the devs are retarded. I used to love gnome but now I'm on Xfce.

If you like Unity you secretly Dual boot Clover but don’t tell anyone except for the one friend who pretends to listen to you in the IRC you got invited to but no one actually wants you there or cares

Install Gentoo

Attached: gondola_gentoo.png (400x420, 22K)

plowshare

How do you find someone to hugg and fugg without using proprietary software?

Attached: 1490555606693.jpg (1000x667, 332K)

The traditional way: Go outside.

RClone for (((cloud))) storage

What should I learn next about Linux?
I started about a week ago and feel comfortable with it now. I customized my desktop, learned some basic commands, installed Steam, and do pretty much everything on it now. I'm your typical computer user though, so that's not really saying much since all I do is browse the web and play games. What's the next step?

is it worth using something like firejail?

just use it
anything you learn by going out of your way just to learn it and then not use it will be forgotten in few weeks

what I would recommend to look in to

- get sliding terminal like tilda thats always there comfortably, with large font
- get zsh instead of bash, its so comfy, especially history
- customize and play around with shit

The last time I tried to tell a girl about software freedom I nearly got arrested. How do I find someone with n i c h e interests?

>get zsh instead of bash
Cancer, specially knowing how much more bash can do. And not, history, vi-like keys and completion are all available.

I already have Guake. I'll try out zsh. Hopefully it's not too different from bash. I've already played around with most of the things I can think of (kde settings mostly). The problem is I'm out of ideas when it comes to things to play with, but I guess you're right about me just forgetting if I force myself to learn stuff I'm not interested in.

I was thinking learning how to run WINE, but that doesn't seem very useful with Steam rolling out Proton.

Maybe I'll just pick up coding just so I have something to do over my holidays.

zsh is almost identical to bash its just better and lot of customizable
zim-zsh is very nicely configured out of the box and very fast
github.com/zimfw/zimfw

I never bothered with WINE I rather played with virtualbox and virtualmachines

if you want look in to docker, I am playing with it now and its amazing, its to easily deploy self hosted stuff, sites, services

for example bookstack to serve as your center for notes and documentation bookstackapp.com/
all that is needed is just have docker and running docker-compose up
and bam, web server, database, everything is just up... learning how it all works and control is powerful and relatively easy and in the end extremely useful
but might be beyond new user scope or interest

Attached: docker-official.png (1200x1007, 87K)

info info
info coreutils
man man
man hier
GNU/Linux*

cringe

>zsh

Attached: 1528714695707.gif (480x270, 1000K)

Yes.

>zimfw
Is om-my-zsh not cool anymore at reddit?

What shell should I use?

The one I'm using.

This but version 2019, version 2018 is not cool anymore.

I think docker is way over my head right now, but I'll keep that in mind.

I'll get to reading these. I tried reading man man a couple of days ago, but I feel like the info just went straight through my head, but I don't have anything better to do so why not I guess.

Thanks for the help, anons.

>zsh
>docker
holy cancer

Is runit this shit or did i fuck something up?
I've got a fresh install of artix, and nothing starts by itself. I've got xorg, dwm, networkmanager but nothing starts and i'm stuck with a tty. Do i have to add every process manually? Because that would be a massive pain in the ass.

>he doesn't know about
# share history among terminals
setopt share_history

# append to the history instead of overwriting
setopt append_history

# append to history incrementally instead of when the shell exits
setopt inc_append_history

wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Runit
>Do i have to add every process manually? Because that would be a massive pain in the ass.
if you don't want control over what services get started you should probably stick to systemd

>Do i have to add every process manually? Because that would be a massive pain in the ass.
Why? Even if that's the case, it'd be literally once per thing.

>xorg, dwm
these shouldn't be services anyway. if both are installed, but 'exec dwm' in ~/.xinitrc and run 'startx'.

the computer can't read your mind

>guy tries to help a newbe
>gets memed on
why? for using the WRONG software?
fags

Are you talking about zsh? Because bash has this.

Can someone rec a clipboard manager that:
Is unubtrusive,i dont want a system tray daemon,i dont want a sysnotify poping up
Dosent keep a history
Works in cli,ncurses,gui programs(gtk)
?

deserve getting memed on for using the wrong software though

What is the right software?

Yeah, I'm talking about zsh.
>bash has this
I'm inclined to believe you don't understand the extent to which that changes how history works, as I have specifically heard it's a feature unique to zsh.

>no history
do you just want it to keep a few things and delete anything past that? clipit is pretty good, but has an icon and keeps history (although you could set the history really low). I've heard of one called greenclip, but I haven't tried it yet because it's not packaged on my distro. gotbletu on youtube has videos of it being integrated with rofi.

I use redhat at work so at home i've installed centos servers and Federa desktop, is there any use in swapping to Arch for my laptop or just stay Fedora?

the one i use

KDE

Whats the difference between bash and zsh, which one is recommended goys?