Redpill me on gnome 3. Why should I use it and why is it so popular?

Redpill me on gnome 3. Why should I use it and why is it so popular?

Attached: 1544878749361.png (600x600, 106K)

No, do your own research. None of us give a shit what DE you use.

If you have 16GB RAM +

why on earth would you need 16gb of ram? a typical dev env would only hit 8 at a stretch, if you're running a bunch of electron shit

unless you're using VMs for some reason

Why not?
It works ootb "good enough" to not care about DE.

Has a no nonsense approach as a DE, clear guidelines for developers and s quite quick with rich echo system.

>"Modern and elegant DE"
>systemd
>Noobuntu uses it by default

Attached: AHEM.png (270x321, 49K)

Gnome 3 is shit, use MATE.

>Why should I use it
You shouldn't.
>why is it so popular?
It's not. Distros are just pushing it. That doesn't mean people are using it.

Are there any statistics?

Not really. The best you're gonna get is surveys and shit like distrowatch rankings.

I am pretty sure people use whatever their distro is pushing them (if its good enough), so gnome might easily be the most popular DE.

But how do you know that distros pushing Gnome (and only Gnome) are actually the most popular? We don't have numbers on that either, do we?

default settings = popular

feel free to prove me wrong

Sure, but how would you know that Ubuntu for example is more popular than Xubuntu or Kubuntu?

That is why I used "might" in my sentence. I don't know exactly, of course. I know that Red Hat distros use gnome as default, SUSE (not openSUSE, but regular ones) are using it as default too. Ubuntu is probably quite popular (atleast it was) and has gnome default iirc.

This

Gnome-shell is fully usable with keyboard unlike Plasma which is completely broken and will burst your aneurysm after 15 minutes of usage.

this. Don't fall for the stupid meme and use gnome - everything just works out of the box and you don't have to waste time customizing useless shit. Alternatively use lubuntu if your machine is old

What's the verdict on cinnamon.

cinnamon fixes the screen tearing by adding immense stutter