ITT post tech memes you fell for

ITT post tech memes you fell for.
Here's mine. Kind of ashamed I fell for this

Attached: Original-Raspberry-Pi-3-Model-B-RPI-3-B-plus-with-1GB-BCM2837B0-1-4GHz-ARM.jpg_640x640.jpg (640x640, 134K)

>buys stuff he doesn't have a use for
is this the poor ppl general?

Mine turned out to be a great media and torrent server

I use the shit out of my Pis.

This is unironically the most common meme people fall for on here.

>"I'm gonna use this supah computah to hack wiv"
>can't even even install raspbian before putting it on the drawer

git gud

I fell for this meme too, it's overpowered for most embedded applications I've found for it but underpowered for any real home server usage outside of a sinkholed dns server or git hosting or the like, mostly thanks to its incredibly slow IO

Im honestly interested in having numerous of these for multiple purposes but before I do I need to find practical uses first

I used my Pi to connect my PlayStation 2 to my NAS via WiFi to serve the games to OPL and simultaneous Pi-Hole.

>OSMC + some Python scraping in the background

bang for buck wise it may be the best device I bought last 2 years

How?

Google it jesus christ

mfw I earn upwars of $300 per day because of my WiFi Captive portal with RPI.
you know your gun is useless if you dont use it wisely and properly

IT HAS POE BRO! AND 1GBPS NETWORK!
oh wait

>300 a day
yea right faggot

So you put a wifi network somewhere and captive portal with paywall for people to use it?

I found more use for ardiuno than pi, which is either too weak or too power hungry for whatever you want to try. A real turd, only surpassed by the even more useless pi zero.

>captive portal with paywall for people to use it?
yes.
i share my gigabit network. I live beside Uni and high school.

Unless you're into electrical/computer engineering or tinkering there isn't much of a point in getting a raspberry pi. If you want to get some value out of it try buying io devices that you can hook up to the header pins and write some interesting little programs. Like you can even do something that does something trivial like tell you the temperature of your home when you're gone. You can buy a cheap temp sensor and quickly write a little program to read the sensor and run a web server on the pi.

Otherwise, it's just a small board linux computer. The programmable GPIO pins are really what sets it apart from your laptop or dekstop.

raspberry pi was my gateway drug to linux.

the pi zero w I think is a great option. It's tiny and has wireless built in. The most frustrating thing about Arduino for me is communication. I can easily communicate by serial communication over a cable but wireless is a pain in the ass to deal with. Te pi makes it all easy as it's running a full-blown Linux os and the zero w already has wireless integrated.

???? I use mine all the fucking time

Kodi? retropie? piehole?
I am even thinking of using one to run a sprinkler system
and I am stupid generally

I wouldn't say it was strictly bad. It was just less utility than I had expected. Most places didn't have wifi.
At home I preferred other devices.
The writing thing was alright but I definitively think I would have used it more if I got a keyboard variant.

Attached: 41hF7ows-eL.jpg (400x400, 31K)

three years back i graduated HS and bought a $1000+ laptop because "i needed the power for my engineering software." absolute meme my dudes

are there unbelievale retards who pay money for accessing some random open wifi being hosted somewhere in town? holy shit

Probably, I had tree different uses for a Pi before I bought one.

You should wait for Raspberry Pi 4.
it has a TPU for training neural networks.

How is web browsing on these?
Can I shitpost on Jow Forums with it?

well sucks for you, there are people who use it to automate watering their gardens and other interesting things

It's just a prototype...

Attached: IMG_7613.jpg (2016x1512, 774K)

but it's still fun.

Attached: IMG_7615.jpg (2016x1512, 941K)

Retarded devs
>64bit CPU
>32bit kernel and firmware

that is a big save icon

How slim is that floppy disc? Does it look good from the side?

Attached: 1519543475505.png (105x143, 20K)

I am intrigued by your claim, and would ask you to kindly describe your project's circumstances and pricing structure.

What is it people pay for? Day passes for internet? Access to *faster* internet?

Not great right now. I may be able to make a few adjustments and cutouts to make it fit more flush.

Attached: IMG_7616.jpg (2016x1512, 509K)

create something bigger/thicker from scratch
3d printing would work

That thickness looks perfectly good enough to pull of a slick design.
Good luck!

I like my RPi but I use it for the more pleb shit like media servers/retropie/etc. Was worth the money though.

I planned on doing this, but then I compared it to my already existing intel nuc HTPC.

The raspberry pi 3 b+ is so fucking slow.

Nowadays I just run a debian VM on hyper-v with 8 vCPUs available and 4gb dedicated ram - which transcodes and everything no problem.

>people who use pihole on a rpi
>adding 0.5-1 second to your DNS look ups
enjoy your slow as fuck browsing experience

The newest model kinda half-assedly fixes the slow-as-shit networking and USB stuff.

Really it'd be nice if they just redesigned the board. They could easily make basically the same thing for the same pricepoint without half of the old, bad design decisions made years ago to make sure it was cheap.

>They could easily make basically the same thing for the same pricepoint without half of the old, bad design decisions made years ago to make sure it was cheap.

That would require completely overhauling the software. Other boards have tried what you're suggesting and failed because lack of software support

What exactly does your python script do? Genuinely curious.

I lost several thousands on this snake oil

Attached: 1536394936346.png (950x350, 399K)

for what? other sbc are better, but by the time you get something good the cost as much as a cheap desktop/laptop on letgo that has more processing power/connectivity options

The biggest issue in the Raspberry shithole isn't that it fails to stop sucking, it's that its hold on the market causes everyone else to suck and be punished for innovating too. Plenty of SBCs have come out with just a slightly higher price but infinitely better than Raspberry Pi and they fail because of the bad software support.

Xd

Is the Raspberry Foundation letigious? Have they or would they sue people for copying their stuff?

The reason why x86 platform is simply awesome: BIOS/UEFI is standardized. One ISO to rule them all. They don't even discuss such a standard in the arm department. Understandable, this way they can charge more - for software support.

I mean just re-arranging the same stuff on the board. Not stacking the GPU and CPU on top of eachother for example would help with heat issues.