Regarding devuan

regarding devuan

i appreciate all attempts to avoid systemd like the plague, but what you really should be doing is avoiding poetteringware™

pic attached are processes running on a fresh install of ASCII. while systemd is not there, you can clearly see
-avahi
-elogind
-pulseaudio
-polkit
-udevd
please, devuan, work towards removing this shit.

Attached: 7A191423-450D-4474-BEFF-7391AA1C8F1C.png (782x517, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pipewire.org/
smarden.org/runit/
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC
skarnet.org/software/s6/
devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/jessie-minimal-install
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=131853),
twitter.com/AnonBabble

see freedesktop.org if you want a list of software to avoid

Oh wow, good thing there's gentoo, I'm mostly pottery free.

same...
it's one of the last few refuges.
if they managed to get this much malware into the majority of distros of an open-source OS without much resistance, God knows what's in windows and mac..
stay safe, brother.

are you OP?
if so, which os are you using?

Y-you too.
Anybody know if and how I can make bluez run without dbus? It seems mandatory since 5 and the old 4 version isn't in my profile anymore.

yes and gentoo

What's wrong with PulseAudio?

removing systemd doesn't make much sense but why is there no serious competitor to systemd?

poettering pls leave, u know very well about runit, openrc, s6

moar liek what ISNT wrong with pulseaudio
how new r u?

pipewire is currently being worked on as a replacement for pulseaudio pipewire.org/

>What's wrong with PulseAudio?
poeterring botnet
eat 100% cpu
cool guyz use alsa

the coolest of cool kids use jack

Care to sell me on it? I use straight alsa right now and am pondering if I'd really need fine grained sound control for every program running.

It works fine for me, no 100% CPU usage. I get it that's bloat but how can you set different volumes and inputs/outputs for programs with ALSA?

I use it but only because I'm into pro audio shit. If you don't need EQ, compression, filtering, etc on a per-app basis then don't bother

Okay, since I don't even use alsaequal, I won't need more of the same, thanks.

>runit
smarden.org/runit/
>openrc
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC
>s6
skarnet.org/software/s6/

I said serious competitors, look at those page designs and shit

fuck off retarded zoomer those page designs are fine

systemd is practically trying to be its own OS. there's nothing that really "competes" with it (linux?). it's large collection of assorted services. it shouldn't really exist but the NSA needs to backdoor linux now that it's getting popular with the normies

>the coolest of cool kids use jack
i agreed, desu
it is not hard.

i use alsa, but there's no solution to recording desktop audio, other than plugging a ware from the 3.5mm output into the microphone input and recording that, which is dumb, and i'm too stupid to use jack. mainly cuz i stream and obs can't pick up desktop audio i.e. audio from other applications e.g. chrome, so i'm hoping pipewire can fix that : /

This can be accomplished with .asoundrc and the alsa-loopback kernel module.

I'm told the entire point of JACK is that it allows you to do the whole "plug the output into the input" thing virtually. Dunno though, since I haven't gotten around to using it yet.

copper foil makes the best tinfoil

or use jack for that, streaming without a filter and EQ on your voice is bananas

correct

>copper foil makes the best tinfoil
that's what they said before snowden. your argument is forever invalid now. please go fuck yourself.

what kind of install is that?
Keep in mind that devuan officially supports a debootstrap install that's literally just a rootfs.
devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/jessie-minimal-install

Please point me to the lines of source code that look suspicious to you, I'd gladly take a look.

systemd uses google dns as a fallback. that alone is enough to make me want out.
Also why the fuck do you want one program doing everything from booting to init to service management to logging to cron etc.
it's fucking retarded, not to mention slow and cpu + ram intensive. It's not uncommon for the "big" distros to use up over a gig on ram on idle now, especially when running shitware like gnome and gdm on top of all that shit.

Feel free to look up the bug trackers, you dumb concern troll.

What's an alternative to avahi? Bonjour? Avahi is a bit architecture astronauted but it had been hammered into a working shape over the years.

>avahi
Confirmed security threat, anything bonjour makes you visible to the network.

Also you missed the great RPC risk named D-Bus, you know hackers can gain access to your computer with RPC right?

>it is not hard.
From what I found (bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=131853), I would need to create a fixed number of channels and then make each program use a specific one. Maybe it is not hard but it certainly isn't very convenient.

Lel. I will stick to regular Debian then.

The people complaining about PA usually had a history with Ubuntu or Debian maintainers fucking PA up badly. It is otherwise just fine.

Nothing. Whoever says otherwise please tell us how to connect bluetooth speakers in a plug and play manner without autistically editing some files.

Duvean is actually kind of crappy. Better ways to avoid systemd, in order of time/difficulty are slackware, void, gentoo and LFS.

I vote for slackware

Give them credit for bringing an alternative for the medium user. Also I vote for CRUX.

> Doesn't use systemd
> Doesn't use avahi
> Doesn't use elogind
> Doesn't use pulseaudio
> Doesn't use polkit
And yet there are niggers out there who refuse to give it a try because 'hurr it's a meme' and sheit.

Attached: 1529426868978.jpg (1348x1078, 801K)

>install void
>get random system freezes
>uninstall void

Even if you choose a non-US keyboard layout during the install, the US layout will be set no matter what you do.
Literally couldn't even login due to this.

C:\>

You forgot:
>is run by spic ponyfuckers
>is a hobbyists distro, as proven by the loss of access to their repo when just one guy decided to go AWOL, causing havoc

No JavaFX, no 64-bit JRE 8, both of which are needed to play my gayme of choice. Without this I'm not switching.

Why can't you just compile that yourself?

Because that's annoying. I might have to do it tho, I'm sick of the Pottering trashware.

That's why you should run Refracta