Optiplex 990

buy a used computer apparently decent and I'm paranoid that the power source will catch fire if I put a GTX 1050Ti

Attached: Optiplex990.jpg (1280x1280, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Athlon-200GE-vs-Intel-i5-2500/3325vs803
youtube.com/watch?v=kjf1ZRDqzIg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

okay

also, pci-e 1.0 can make bottleneck to the video card?

A 1050ti works just fine in a 990. And a 9010, 9020, T1700...

If that's sff you're going to needed a low profile gpu to even fit it in there, but otherwise a 1050 TI runs fine

Attached: 20181215_fish_release_the_spyce.png (1280x720, 575K)

A normal PCI-express slot ought to be able to support up to 75W, which is what the 1050TI maxes out at undear heavy load. Now whether or not Dell took that into account or not is unknown... You can never be too shure with these OEM machines.

remember that the power supplies in these things are built to run 24 hours 7 days per week running outdated insecure software that is constantly building up malware and whatever dumb shit office workers install while never having their software or hardware cleaned up
for eternity

if you find one with the right watts you will be fine

I buy these from local shops so I can inspect them beforehand. It's like $20 more expensive but at least I can make sure I don't get shit components.

i own one of these and the stock psu won't be able to run a 1050ti

Then you have a bad one.

I have one, and a 9010, and they run the 1050ti's just fine.

Stock PS is 240W. You're going no need an upgrade on the PSU. These were made for pushing integrated graphics. The hottest discrete graphics that came with them was 35W. A 1050ti uses double that.

Attached: PS.jpg (251x201, 9K)

oems use power supplies that are at least double the needs of the system so that the natural degradation of power supply performance over a decade will still allow the system to run

Don't even use external gpu on it
Either your chipset will die completely or your gpu catch fire

Look at the power supply in it and see what it's rated at. A 1050ti draws power from PCIe only. My guess is that the system was built to be able to handle giving rated power to the PCIe slot. You could make sure by running it as is with a power meter & loading the CPU. If there's 75W between that figure and the PSUs rating you're likely fine.

Go for it.
Cheapest build out there.

Computer tech here: return it while you still can.

A 3.2 GHz sandy bridge has about 20% lower IPC than zen+ so you'd be looking at 2.5 GHz laptop-grade performance. Not to mention you're limited to ~50W graphics cards and there's no way to upgrade anything.

I'd alternatively recommend buying a cheap case + 430W evga psu, a $50 B450, $60 200GE, and $40 8GB stick of RAM, and a $20 128GB SSD. You'll have better single threaded performance (albeit half multi-threaded) and be able to use cards beyond the gtx 1050ti like the beefier rx 570 that you can get for like $140.

Rumour has it zen 2 athlon processors will be quad-core but still retain the bargain $60 price tag.

Attached: 1467064861574.jpg (1280x720, 248K)

I had one die at work- it took nothing with it but it WAS dead.

Got a 7010 with an i7 3770 and 1050ti. Works fine with stock psu

>200GE
You're a fucking moron.

cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Athlon-200GE-vs-Intel-i5-2500/3325vs803

>pissmark
>even in a shotty synthetic sandy vag still needs a 500 MHz advantage to beat a shitty athlon
>conveniently leaving out the fact that all cores will throttle to 3.4 GHz if they'll all engaged and even further if temps get too toasty on the shotty stock heatsink
GG

Sandy is faster single-threaded, faster multithreaded, and 1/3rd the price.
AMD is for morons.

You have no idea what you're talking about, retard. Zen+ has actually exceeded coffee lake's IPC by around 5% and even though intel has been going at a snails pace they still have about 5% IPC uplift after each new gen which averages out to about 15% between sandy vag and coffin lake. Now add the 5% of zen+ and you basically have 20%.

Unless you play gaymes that exclusively use 1 cpu thread you're going to have clocks tank to 3.4 GHz which will at best give you 2.7 GHz zen+ performance.

Attached: 1539713816329.png (2560x5040, 2.53M)

200GE getting BTFO by a 2600K single-threaded.

Attached: untitled-14.png (722x909, 60K)

>cherry picked overclocked benchmarks
Holy shit how do you not kill yourself over your corporate whoring?

>cream of the crop core i7 series (higher IPC than i5)
>600MHz advantage in single core loads (ie maybe 10% of gaymes)
>only 5% faster
haha yeah man, amd btfo, bankruptcy eminent

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-23-16-32-12(1).jpg (720x177, 43K)

>waaaah it's faster and cheaper but you should ignore it and suck AMD's cock like me!

youtube.com/watch?v=kjf1ZRDqzIg

The point is a slight ~5% clock advantage yields ~10% performance performance advantage proving zen+'s higher IPC (see arma 3).

Look m8, it's just not worth it when you have no way to upgrade to anything substantial. YES the 200GE won't get you 140+ fps like the 2600X will if paired with good RAM but it's a solid foundation for future upgrades.

You can even base overclock the 200GE to ~3.7 GHz if you really can't wait for zen 2 athlons or upgrade to a 2600X.

Attached: ryzen2-mem-w3-2.png (830x541, 12K)

You can't upgrade to Intel on an AMD system, moron. Why would you buy AMD just to tie yourself into shit?

You know what you can do with a used Intel system when it's time to upgrade? Sell it for pretty much what you bought it for and then buy a better one.

>You can't upgrade to Intel on an AMD system, moron.
How is that a bad thing?

>You know what you can do with a used Intel system when it's time to upgrade? Sell it for pretty much what you bought it for and then buy a better one.
So you have to buy an entire new fucking system, sell the one you already got at a loss just upgrade 1 core gen? Seems to me a lot more simpler to just upgrade your processor on a B350/B450 system.

Anyway I think you're missing my point in all this: You can have the SAME performance of an intel system for lower clocks (less heat, less noise). Zen 2 will further this benefit by at least a 10% IPC uplift.

ie:
3.2 GHz zen+ = 3.8 GHz sandy
3.2 GHz zen 2 = 4.1 GHz sandy

So even IF (unlikely) the zen 2 quad-core athlon has a base of 3.2 GHz it will still have a massive advantage over sandy and base overclocking will still be possible.

Why jump through all these hoops just to remain on an inferior intel system?

Post a timestamped Speccy, pajeet.

Look man, just admit intel processors have fallen out of relevancy and move on with your life. Why make it a mission to "prove" everyone wrong? You're like that toothless hillbilly redneck republican screaming "hurr build wall durr".

Post a timestamped Speccy, pajeet.

I've noticed AMDrones can never stray from their script. Prove you belong here and post your desktop and Speccy.

Actual computer tech here: This guy is a fucking moron.

I own a Dell Optiplex 790 I got for 30 bucks from my job. It's a LP (Low Profile) model so finding cards for it is hard.

I got a i7 3700k I think? At 3.5 GHz 4/8
8GB ram
GTX750 from pny

Runs anything if you're not asking too much from it. Obviously you're not going to play at 60fps at full HD but it's console quality or better. Plus the emulation is amazing. I play PS2, GC, Wii games with no problems.

The display port on the back has signaling for audio via HDMI as well.

Good for you but he's kinda right that sandy vag sucks. That 3.7 all-core turbo equates to about 3 GHz on modern processors which is pretty bad considering 5GHz will soon become the norm thanks to shrinking lithography and better binning tech. Most people will have a very hard time finding a good deal like yours, maybe $150 for a i5-2400 refurb unit on ebay.

>oh noes instead of getting 300fps like an i7 9900k it only gets 200fps... for a $90 machine.

not really, natively according to the user manual officially supports up to one HD6670 it consumes at stress 68 watts

Attached: Screenshot_20181223-165229.png (720x1280, 246K)

It will be fine. I have a 750 in one and it works great.

>"I'm literally blind and think nobody can see more than 24 fps"

I'm talking about cpu wise.

Wrong quote

It will be fine unless the OEM decided to not follow PCIe spec and is supplying less than 75w

>$150
Literally less than $100.

My brother in law is currently running that setup right now. A refurbished optiplex from amazon with a gtx 1050ti. Seems to work really well.

>2018
>unironically defending sandy vag housefire

Based on what? You're not even providing anecdotal evidence. Owning that computer in itself doesn't make you qualified to answer that.

Have you tried to install a 1050ti????

I had an optiplex 390 with an i3 I bought at goodwill for $20. Threw a 1030 in it and ran most things ok but would bluescreen at the simplest shit. Stripped everything out and put it in a Gateway with a Phenom II x4 that runs way better than that i3 ever did

yes it runs fine, mine has been running solid for over a year
even got a decent overclock out of the 1050ti

bullshit
CPU performance has been crawling since 2012 (even that's being kind)

In a real use case these systems are still more than fine and support almost all modern features. shit you can even get m.2 drives working
you must be upset you spent more on your CPU than my entire 3rd gen i7 computer lmao

It won't
Source: I've done that and then went ahead and jerry rigged a 500 W PSU into it and got it to run a 1070

>Actual computer tech here
>I got a i7 3700k I think?