Your Car Is Spying On You

phys.org/news/2018-12-cars-data-collection-highway.html
December 22, 2018

Connected cars accelerate down data-collection highway

That holiday trip over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house could turn into nice little gift for automakers as they increasingly collect oodles and oodles of data about the driver.

Automakers are collecting valuable pieces of information thanks to the internet connections, cameras and sensors built into most vehicles in recent years. The online access makes it possible for cars to be unlocked remotely if the keys are lost. It's how safety features can be upgraded wirelessly and maintenance schedules adjusted based on performance.

But these digital peepholes are also offering a windshield-size view of people's lives. That's creating the potential for intrusive marketing pitches and government surveillance.

No serious incidents have occurred in the United States, Europe and Japan, but a red flag has already been raised in China, where automakers have been sharing location details of connected cars with the government.

"We are not that far away from when 100 percent of all new cars will come equipped with data modems," Navigant Research analyst Sam Abuelsamid predicted. "Having the potential to collect more data about people in their cars means there is going to be potential for abuses, too."

cont.

Attached: 1524798732598.jpg (1360x872, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/paris-bans-vehicles-registerd-before-2000-fight-city-air-pollution-france-emission-reducing-a7542921.html
cntraveller.in/story/delhi-wont-first-city-ban-private-cars/
youtu.be/DdnyycF5Gkg
github.com/linux-can/can-utils/
youtube.com/watch?v=Arz6Fnflnhc
youtube.com/watch?v=MK0SrxBC1xs
youtube.com/watch?v=5LYSjLwkAo4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Here are some key questions about the auto industry's acceleration down the data-collection highway:

Q: What kind of cars collect data?

A: In 2016, about one in every five cars sold globally could be plugged into the internet, according to BI Intelligence. By 2020, about three out of every four cars sold will be online.

So if you are driving a 2009 Toyota Corolla, you probably only have to worry about the tracking and data collection being done by the smartphone resting on the cup holder. But as those older models go to the scrapyard, it will become difficult to avoid a vehicle set up for gathering data that will be sent to automakers.

Q: Which automakers are leading the way in this trend?

A: General Motors accounted for 46 percent of connected-car shipments last year, according to the market research firm Counterpoint. They're followed by BMW (20 percent), Audi (14 percent) and Mercedes Benz (13 percent). In addition, Tesla's Model S sold since 2012 all come with connectivity. The firm said the biggest markets for connected car sales last year were China (32 percent), the United States (13 percent), Germany (11 percent) and the United Kingdom (9 percent).

cont.

Q: Do I own data that's collected?

A: Under U.S. law, it's unclear.

Drivers own the data stored in the "black boxes" that monitor vehicles in a crash. Police and insurers need a driver's consent—or a court order—to get that data. But there are no laws addressing data collected by automakers through vehicle internet connections.

So far, few automakers will share their data in the United States without the owners' consent, Abuelsamid said. Twenty companies—including GM, Toyota, Ford, Hyundai and Mercedes-Benz—signed a voluntary agreement in 2014 to get permission before sharing a driver's location, health or behavior with third parties. The agreement doesn't require approval from drivers for data to be shared with emergency workers or for internal research.

One of the most notable exceptions is electric car maker Tesla Motors, which has released data publicly to reveal—sometimes within hours of a crash—how fast a driver was traveling and whether the company's semi-autonomous Autopilot system was engaged after a collision.

Q: In what ways are automakers passing along data when drivers allow it to be shared?

A: They're giving the data to insurers to determine the premiums that should be charged, if a driver consents. This could be good if data indicates drivers are cautious, adhere to speed limits and seldom log lots of miles. But insurance premiums could jump for drivers who are prone to speeding or frequent hard braking—all of which could be interpreted as raising the risks for accidents. Insurers would also know whether your seat belt is fastened.

cont.

Q: Can I stop an automaker from collecting my data?

A: Most automakers let owners decline, or opt out of, data collection, but that's usually buried in the fine print. Otherwise, permission is assumed. Also, unlike smartphones, some data collection may be required to ensure that cars operate safely and can receive essential software updates. That's especially true as more vehicles come with features such as semi-autonomous driving. And it could be necessary in order to have self-driving vehicles.

Q: Should I be worried about automakers using my data in ways that are annoying or compromise my privacy?

A: Probably, if what has happened with smartphones is a reliable gauge.

As automakers collect more data about drivers, they're more likely to look for ways to profit. The built-in display screens and mapping software would seem to be ideal spots for posting advertisements, similar to what Google, Facebook, Amazon and many other internet companies already do.

The business consultancy McKinsey has estimated automotive data could be worth $450 billion to $750 billion worldwide by 2030. Ford Motor CEO Jim Hackett may have foreshadowed what's coming as he boasted in a recent interview about how much the automaker already knows about its customers who get their loans through its financial services division. All the lending information has allowed Ford to learn how much money people, where they live, where they live and whether they are married.

"We've never ever been challenged on how we use that," Hackett told a Freakonomics podcast last month.

END

Fucking bike shills I swear

>BI Intelligence
>Business intelligence intelligence

Kek

What's the cutoff year for cars without turbo inline-4s, keyless ignition, backup cams, horrible rear visibility and forced infotainment systems?

Attached: akari drinku.jpg (640x640, 60K)

We already reached it now that lexus stopped making its LS series with a V8 but rather chose a V6.

business insider
you're the one lacking on intelligence

what's wrong with backup cameras? do you enjoy hitting the bumper of the car behind you? or would you rather have that sensor that goes beeeeep beep beep beep when you're getting too close? cams are superior

Not that user but I'd rather have a rear window big enough to see out of when I turn around

I haven't driven new cars but I've never had any issues with being able to see behind me and even go so far as to peer out my driver side door if I'm parallel parking and it's a tight fit.
Usually though, I think the car is much larger than it is and I'm always overreacting.
Now cars even have proximity sensors so you don't have to look over your shoulder, removing any semblance of situational awareness.
I bet you can't even see out the windows with how narrow they've become.
Modern cars are fucking dangerous.

I agree all of those things are cancerous, though personally I drive a 2 litre diesel turbo and am very grateful for the turbo. I imagine in a petrol it could be laggy and ruin the feel. Diesel it doesn't bother me since it's already a tractor and wouldn't pull at all without.

2007 3 series BMW, for me it's the right balance of technology (Bluetooth, traction control, graphical error codes etc) without modern botnet tier shite (no idrive, analogue dials, no keyless, no Internet).

Bought that car for next to nothing with high mileage, bought a code reader, do my oil changes and people thing I'm balling even though I'm a poorfag. 2007 is the cut off before they cucked that engine with dpf and timing chain that randomly snapped so watch out if you're buying one.

I guess it belongs in Jow Forums since data collection, but wouldnt it be more relevant in ?

most people on /o/ don't know shit about cars and they just benchracing bus riders who jerk off over lap times and on-paper specifications

Is here a place outside Jow Forums where one can discuss privacy issues? Even here the amount of 'nothing to hide' is insane.

Joke's on you I drive a car from the 80s

We can discuss it all we want but it's not going to change a damn thing. The solution is clear - buy 90s jdm cars and do away with your smartphone.

It might still be possible to live in the 90s.

what's gonna happen in 20 years when those 90s and 00s cars are now EGR clogged piles of rust and they get cash4clunker'd again once electric cars truly take off?

privacy will only be saved if Jow Forumsentlemen write malware to take out self-driving cars.

>A: General Motors accounted for 46 percent of connected-car shipments last year
Luckily. That means after 6 months about 60% of those modems don't fucking work anymore.

cars have been spying on us since the 80s if not 90s

I somewhat agree with the sentiment, but if one doesn't take out all offenders in one swoop and convince the masses that they absolutely need privacy, one is inclined to believe it will have the opposite effect - terrorists evil, let us touch your junk twice at the airport now. We're probably better off waiting for the companies to make a huge mistake. However, since they keep making mistakes and few care, I'm beginning to doubt anyone would bat an eye even if millions were to die in a week.

it needs to be done all at once with minimal violence. as in, all of GMs cars stop working on christmas eve, but they don't explode or anything.

Attached: 1539741665604.jpg (1000x800, 57K)

>all of GMs cars stop working on christmas eve
Most of them will do that on their own.

>just use older cars
they're already fixing that loophole.

independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/paris-bans-vehicles-registerd-before-2000-fight-city-air-pollution-france-emission-reducing-a7542921.html

The French capital has banned vehicles registered before the year 2000 in a bid to combat pollution in the city.

A law introduced in Paris on Monday requires all cars to have a sticker indicating which of six categories it fits into — indicating the year of the vehicle's registration, its energy efficiency, and its emission quantity.

Any diesel-run vehicle showing a 'Level 5' sticker on their windscreen, which indicates they were produced from 1997 to 2000, is not allowed on the road. Around six per cent of France's 32 million cars fall into this category.

Vehicles registered from earlier than 1997 and trucks and buses from before 2001 are not assigned to any category, meaning they are completely banned from driving in the city from Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm.

In Paris, the ban applies for all roads inside the A86 motorway, the second ring road around Paris, but not the A86 itself, and anyone caught driving one of these cars in Paris risks a minimum fine of €22.

The new measures come after Paris and other cities recorded several severe smog spikes over the past two months.

Anne Hidalgo, mayor of Paris, said the policy was necessary to encourage motorists to “change their transport modes” in order to reduce traffic.

She said: “To tackle the source of the problem is notably encouraging motorists to change their modes of transport to reduce motor traffic.”

Attached: 1529428601087.png (1001x176, 26K)

Something needs to be done, yeah. But like I said, you need to convince the masses as well - and they're unlikely to wake up (""""""the botnet is comfy, join us""""""). Hell, if you did it on a work day people would cheer for you because they needn't go to work that day.

cntraveller.in/story/delhi-wont-first-city-ban-private-cars/

We may have to ban private cars from Delhi’s streets, the Environment Pollution Control Authority (EPCA) has warned a day after Air Quality Index (AQI) hit 398-classified as ‘severe’ by the EPCA. Drastic maybe, but the move isn’t unprecedented. Across the world, several cities have enforced restrictions on vehicles in an effort to cut pollution. Here are some of the notable examples:

Oslo, Norway

On January 17, 2017 Oslo banned all diesel cars from its streets for a day. Traffic was down by 30% and air pollution levels were lowered by 25%. The city now plans to further reduce the number of cars on the road by putting a ban on parking spaces starting 2019.

Mexico City, Mexico

In May 2016, Mexico City issued an air pollution alert banning 40% of vehicles from the road and demanded that industries cut emissions by 40% as well. On regular basis, there are 5.5 million vehicles on the road, but the ban ensured that one out of every five vehicles were kept off the road. Unfortunately, as per BBC, the measures did not substantially improve air quality in Mexico.

Bogota, Colombia

Over 75 miles of roads close to vehicles one day every week in an event that began in 1974, called ‘Ciclovia’ which translates to ‘cycleway’. Every Sunday, between 7 AM and 2 PM, certain streets are cordoned off for cars to allow people to walk and cycle. The city now has over 200 miles of bike-only lanes too.

Attached: 1517820717500.png (929x177, 22K)

Beijing, China

In 2015, Beijing issued its first red alert for air pollution. Schools were closed, drivers were allowed to drive cars only on alternate days depending on their license plate numbers and government agencies vowed to cut down their driving time. The red alert was announced on a Monday, and by the weekend, the alert came down to orange.

Hamburg, Germany

Hamburg was the first city in Germany to announce a ban on diesel cars on two main streets in the city. Germany’s postal service has even set up its own supply of electric delivery vans called ‘streetscooters’. Germany is also considering testing out free public transport in five German cities to encourage people to leave their cars at home.

Meanwhile, other cities are planning for a future without cars. In Madrid, Spain, urban planners are redesigning 24 of the busiest streets in Central Madrid, to free them of car traffic. The idea is to make the whole of Central Madrid a pedestrians-only zone within the next five years. Southern Germany’s automotive capital, Stuttgart, will become the second Germany city to announce a partial diesel ban. From 2019, older diesel vehicles will no longer be allowed in select parts of the city. Diesel cars will be banned in Paris from the beginning of 2030. There are already several no-car zones, car-free days and fines for drivers who enter the city in cars that are more than 20 years old. Across the Channel, the mayor of London has called for a ban on the sale of petrol and diesel cars from 2030.

I don't care what goes on in shithole countries, spammer.

Polluting is degeneracy anyway.

this would never fly in the US, where car registration fees, fuel taxes and traffic tickets are the biggest sources of revenue for state and local governments

pollution is an excuse to get rid of non-botnet cars.

t. white trash

Real aryan people are against pollution as it harms the white race.

t. Amerimutt pretending to be aryan

Only an amerimutt would defend destroying the white race.
Ride a bike you fat cunt.

>destroying the white race.
only an amerimutt would not see the real motivation behind banning non-botnet cars

Attached: 1540646923046.png (205x246, 9K)

Only burgers care that much about cars. Just ride a bike like I do. disgusting cagers.

kindly get your STUPID walmart toy off the road
everyone on the road has to babysit your ass so you don't get run over even when you're riding 10mph taking up a whole lane like an asshole and kicking people's cars for overtaking your stupid ass

also where I live, everyone assumes you have a DUI if you're not homeless and you commute to work on a bike

stop pretending to be a bikefag now.

Lots of people bike where I live.

Literally never owned a car. I bet you huff when you walk up a hill.

I shouldn't ber surprised by all these burgers on fee but sadly I am.

more reasons why GM is utter shit and why you buy Ford

[laughs in 90s Saab]

read

>Audi (14 percent)
what are the germans going to do with my data?

I have a newerish car (2012 Hyundai), but I don't think it collects any data or anything. It certainly doesn't have any of that wireless internet shit or whatever.

>I don't think
useless.
>doesn't have wireless internet shit
they all do.

just buy your own brushless motor and create your own electric car or bike

All items that broadcast a signal in the US have to have an FCC ID. My car doesn't have one. So unless you're arguing they are releasing millions of cars illegally or it's a conspiracy by the FCC to hide their approval ID, fuck off retard.

will not be street legal

>Actually living in California-tier metro areas

The game was over before it started.

how come?

>My car doesn't have one
doubt
>implying they will keep these rules only to those areas
they will expand it little by little

What kind of 2012 Hyundai do you have? I'm looking around for a new car.

that's the law. you are not allowed to just create a vehicle and drive it on public roads. car manufacturers have to spend a lot of money for all the certifications and what not to make cars street legal

I have a 2012 Elantra. The only wireless capability it has is bluetooth.

>inb4 bluetooth is a botnet

my guess is that high-end cars like bentleys don't really have this

youtu.be/DdnyycF5Gkg
this guy did it

the connection to the manufacturer is not exposed to the end-user.

exactly. if you don't want to be tracked stop being poor. ferraris wont have this

your guess it totally wrong.

Cars have had this botnet shit since 2012 or so, even if they dont have an apparent data connection.

It's so they can remotely disable your car if you stop paying your loan.

The 90s will always be the peak of cars.
>mfw in the market for a 98-99 LS400

Cars from 2001-2007 should be fine, right?

also for driving you into oncoming traffic when you talk shit about the clintons or something.

I have information that will lead to the arrest of Hillary Clin-

Attached: Tesla-Model-S-crash-fire-truck.jpg (802x556, 83K)

you need to drive Smoking Joe's truck from Death Race if you plan on being a whistleblower nowadays

>after 9/11
haha no

>using cars
y'all deserve this

*runs you over*

bump

jUsT BuIlD An eLeCtRiC CaR, hOw hArD CaN It bE

Can this be disabled?

github.com/linux-can/can-utils/
Car hacking with can-utils when?

youtube.com/watch?v=Arz6Fnflnhc

Attached: Michael Hastings.jpg (246x138, 12K)

youtube.com/watch?v=MK0SrxBC1xs
For sure they can

youtube.com/watch?v=5LYSjLwkAo4
Proven!

Attached: suicide654.png (572x504, 274K)

>xir needs a backup camera
git gud fgt
t.o

unironically this

>t. never worked on a car

i've been to india, so all i can tell you is that you are very very wrong