For some reason my dad is obsessed with the idea of me putting my desktop kn a mini fridge or using a chiller to cool...

For some reason my dad is obsessed with the idea of me putting my desktop kn a mini fridge or using a chiller to cool it and I keep telling him why it's an awful idea it is but he won't listen no matter what I tell him he still thinks it's a good idea.

How do I explain to him bow bad of an idea it is? I've tried everything.

Attached: post-113807-0-29528500-1408311801.jpg (900x1200, 128K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B8bhGw4vUFE
simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensation
pcworld.com/article/3278282/computers/cooler-master-thermoelectric-cooler.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

tell him to stop being a dumbass and test it both ways himself.
youtube.com/watch?v=B8bhGw4vUFE

Explain to him that a fridge cannot remove heat as quickly as your computer produces it and that the insulating properties of the fridge will actually make the inside of the fridge hotter than the outside air.

You already said he won't listen no matter what, this is pointless

>I've tried everything.
did you explain that condensation can form due to the pc temperature being too low, and can short something?

alternatively you can let him learn the hard way when something happens

tell him that if he breaks it he'll have to fund your next build

simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensation

Attached: 1024px-Condensation_on_water_bottle.jpg (1024x768, 188K)

Tell him the frozen air will kill your computer or the fridge will get really hot and bake your CPU anyways

Tell him to stop watching Linus' meme videos

We literally just got done watching those

didn't linux penis tips say it wont work?

Teach you’re retarded dad about condensation. Cooling temps need to be above dew point.

I think it's cool your dad is taking an interest in your hobbies. Be nice to him.

Man up faggot

>
>How do I explain to him bow bad of an idea it is? I've tried everything.
The only way that works is if you liquid cool the pc and only the coolant reservoir is inside the fridge

Tell him there won't be enough airflow, and eventually it will be room temp or more inside the fridge. Also it will be the most expensive "cooling" system ever, even liquid would be cheaper in the long run.

If you did a water loop and ran the water loop with a radiator in there, you could still use it as a normal fridge. That said it would still be horrid for efficiency, and depending on the fridge, it may not be able to keep up with the heat output of the PC.

I wish my dad took interest in my hobbies.
Why don't you take the time to talk with him about it, and go into detail about why it is a bad idea, and why things like water cooling would be much more effective.

Linus was so cool, why did he have to sell out

Wont work.

>Monetizing your skill and turning it into a business is "selling out"
They clearly label every episode where shilling is part of the script. Their normal episodes are the same antics with higher quality production. Do you really want to see Linus unbox cases when he can be exposing how awful prebuilt companies are?

use a TEC instead
pcworld.com/article/3278282/computers/cooler-master-thermoelectric-cooler.html

Attached: Screenshot_Brave_20181223-204329.png (1080x1920, 294K)

/thread

he's alright and is trolly with his ads

condensation+parts=chaos

Still room for beer in the bottom. Thermal mass batteries, to aid cooling.

mini fridges are refrigerators are not designed for a constant heat load like the computer will output.

If we really wants to use a chiller and go sub-zero, he should isolate the cpu from condensation and air and attach a gutted air conditioner unit or similar with the thermal limiter altered or removed. Phase change cooling is very effective and decently efficient.

So many posts recently starting with "my mom/dad "
Not sure if 30 yo still living with his parents or this site being overrun by reddit zoomers.
Either way. Jow Forums is kill.

Attached: tumblr_pcyhcv7KlV1qauhyqo1_1280.jpg (1080x1080, 79K)

phase change is thermoelectric cooling which has already been mentioned

>>Monetizing your skill and turning it into a business is "selling out"
That's the very definition of selling out.
>Do you really want to see Linus unbox cases when he can be exposing how awful prebuilt companies are?
He means well, but is preaching to the choir. Those who care about build quality don't buy prebuilts, and those who don't won't change their minds.

It can though.
Just not for a long period of time, since the duty cycle on a refrigerator compressor is less than 5%.

>he doesn't know that that fridges are literally dry environments that pull moisture out of the air.

So he can have money, dipshit.

no it isn't at all? TECs use the Peltier effect to push a heat difference, then you can cool the heat any way you want. TECs are also highly inefficient. phase-change systems are closer to an air conditioning system using a refrigerant and compressor.

Just tell your dad a fridge isn't designed to cool something that actively produces heat.

Why don't they make CPU coolers with refrigerant/evaporator/compressor setup?

teach your retard self how condensation works you dumb fucking mongoloid.

You need 500W of TEC to remove 200W of heat and then you need to successfully remove 700W of heat from TECs

It won't work because there's nowhere for the heat to go, it just sits around. Food cools down in the fridge because it's not actively generating heat.

>he doesn't cook inside his fridge
go back

Was your fridge filled with drips of water the last time you opened it?

Some of us are just home for the holidays user.

Is he aware that putting a pot of fresh, still boiling soup in a fridge is bad for the fridge?
Putting a PC in there is the same but instead of a 1 day of extreme heat load it will output that heat load indefinitely.
It's bad for the fridge.

yes

>Just not for a long period of time
i.e. it can't, in general

did you even read the article linked?

Calmly explain to him that setting your personal computer, aka PC, inside a fridge might result in the unexpected consequence of his, or yours, dick falling off.

Small fridge won't work but larger or a freezer could. But you must remove the moisture with suitable desiccants or some other method.