What's the greatest snakeoil in tech?

I'll start

Attached: 1525381553968.png (950x350, 399K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MjJzibFTaqA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus
jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=452
twitter.com/AnonBabble

appleshit

gnu/linux

Encoding audio above 24-bit, 48000 Hz.

apple products

non-mene answer - those $100 HDMI cables

you actually need special cable to reach hdmi 2.1 speeds

yeah but those are just regular ass hdmi

Blockchain

Oxygen free copper.

Attached: 4E2CC259-574A-4CD3-A8F6-A97EAA6B9FC1.jpg (120x124, 11K)

Silicon sounds like 'silly con'. I bet processors cost pennies to make, and all the factory videos are a troll, to justify high prices.

AWS

High purity silicon is very expensive to make

>take sand
>breathe the oxygen off it
wow 10/10 much hardnes

Nice, then I assume you already made you own line of CPUs

>Not in a vacuum
>Still in contact with air
????

>Oxygen free copper.
that actually makes a difference

What is that

No, in signal transmission and power cables it doesn't.

jewcero

Someone keeps posting that same image as OP without an explanation.

Ignore it, don't take the bait.

Gold plated cables
NVMe for OS (I fell for)
Not running PSU over 50% load (I fell for)
Clicking No to "Do you want to accept advertising cookies?"

It's a $6000 audiophile DAC. It's not 100% snake oil because it does what it's supposed to do, but the price is retarded since a DAC is one of the least critical components in an audio reproduction system (and the manufacturer lists more marketing bullshit than actual DAC specs like SNR or crosstalk).

>NVMe for OS (I fell for)
NVMe in general for home use. The difference between 500 MB/s and 2000 MB/s looks huge on paper, but is almost imperceptible in practice with regular programs and games.
On the other hand, the price premium isn't big either.

>It's not 100% snake oil
it doesn't even sound good

Special? No, you just need an up to date cable. It's like complaining that you need to buy a new cable to get 10GbE. It's not that the newer cable is some rare thing - it's just an updated standard and eventually the old ones won't be produced anymore.

As an audio engineer I have a hard time imagining how do you screw up enough to make an expensive ADC sound bad. Even $0.2 snibeti snab chips on motherboards do a fairly decent job of DACing when connected to a high impedance input.

SSDs

It’s Neil young’s placebo audio format Pono

nice bait lmao

"smart" tv's

oculus rift.
it's the poor man's htc vive.
all the bad shit people say about VR is really just the experience they had with the rift. the vive is fucking amazing.

clearly diff sound between regular copper and lc-ofc

it does, look up occ-ofc, there's all sorts of tests the japs made

t. Brainlet

Well, Topping managed to find a way to fuck the DX3Pro up so...

I tried the oculus and it was great. What makes it so much worse than the vive?

Intel Optane

"Gaming" anything... Mouse, monitors, motherboard, RAM, etc...

Mice an monitors make sense (assuming we're talking high refresh rate monitors and mice with adjustable DPI).

this

silver wire also sounds different but not in a good way

Stax

>69044185
python. It's even named after a snake.

It's not, it comes with far better controls and has less screen door effect than the Vive as well. Spergs are butthurt that it's a Facebook product.

What the Vive has over the rift is an easier room setup. You can accomplish the same thing with a third sensor though on the Rift.

Here's what I don't like about it. There's come bloated software that has to run in the background when you're using the Rift. I have a GTX 1060 which is excellent, but I own a 4-year-old AMD CPU. The performance is awful with my CPU. Now, I have tried an alternative headset with my pc so the experience may be similar. If you own a newer pc, this won't be an issue though.

t. SSD astroturfers

DSD does sound better thou.

you can even covert ya audio to DSD on the fly and its noticeably better with korg audio gate.

Go to bed, zoomer!

How the fuck can you be so wrong about this what the fuck ?

Attached: 1532150400985.jpg (686x661, 83K)

i wanna fug illya

What's wrong with it? Sure the firmware is buggy because chinks can't QC, but there is absolutely no issue with the way it sounds.

As an audio engineer do you normally mix up what a DAC and an ADC are?

>DACing when connected to a high impedance input.

That's an output device

>an expensive ADC sound bad

Wat? ADC is for input. Analog Digital Converter.

Master clocks for audio.

Attached: dCS-Master-Clock_Front.jpg (1500x840, 407K)

Cryptocoins. Literally wasting power to do nothing, value given to it by belief.

Noob, I've seen $10,000 hdmi cables

Attached: HID-02012015-155705.jpg (711x400, 80K)

>put cable into space and advertise as "oxygen-free"
>then bring "oxygen-free" copper down to earth where there is oxygen
what did they mean by this

Attached: 1541038309677.jpg (800x600, 81K)

>covert ya audio to DSD on the fly and its noticeably better
How do you imagine that working.
«I'll take this shitty quality compressed audio, pass it through Magic DSD converter and it will sound better».

weeeeell
youtube.com/watch?v=MjJzibFTaqA

FLAC

(((IPC)))

Underrated post

How is that different than any other unit of exchange? Perhaps we should use something with intrinsic value like 12 inch black dildos

Works on my machine ;^)

how are the last 2 snake oil as i doubt neither of them are claimed to be better than the alternative

overclocking

PSU Load one is not a snake oil: yes, all of the PSUs have their peak efficiency somewhere near half of the rated load, but often it's over 50 — at 65%, for example. And nothing wrong with running them near max rated load. Yes, you do lose in efficiency, but IMO not enough to justify twice as powerful PSU.

It isn't if you're buying absolute garbage. Buy an 80 plus rated power supply.

Running at 50% load is a meme.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

What's your point?
That's link to the review of PSU I have (although mine if 650W). It's gold rated, it's not chinkshit, solid choice.
>jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=452
Now look at the table at the bottom, «efficiency» column. See that it reaches peak of 90+% right at 375W load — exactly half of rated?
That's what I was talking about.
Now, difference between 90.5 at 50% and 88.6 at 100% IMO not worth the price difference you have to pay to get PSU that will provide you with the amount of power you need at 50% load.

To whom are you talking? I provided a link to a wiki. Not to a review of a PSU. I agree it's a meme. An 80 plus rated PSU will operate at 80 percent efficiency or greater under 100% load.

Ah, so we do agree with each other. I misread your post it seems.
Yeah, my standpoint on PSUs always was «get the best one you can for power you need + 100W for the future upgrades (for gaming machines)».
IMO two things worth investing a little more in PC are PSU and case — they both can serve you literally decades if chosen right.

Well obviously I meant DAC both times.

>That's an output device
Yes, so you connect it to some kind of input. Cheapo HDA codecs tend to sound like shit with headphones, but connect them to an amp with 10kOhm input and they're usually decent.

It's situational. Some PSUs can run at high load while still being reasonably quiet, while some ramp up the fan to annoying levels. There's also capacitor life, but that depends more on the construction, capacitor quality and fan curve than load.

90% (if not more) of PSUs are using standard case fans. Too loud? Swap out to Noctua.

Any audiophile product.

Attached: tX-USBexp.jpg (785x388, 49K)

>90% (if not more) of PSUs are using standard case fans.

A PSU with a primitive control circuit that runs the fan at full speed if the load is over 50%, and half speed if it's lower, will be obviously noisier than a PSU that properly ramps the fan speed based on temperature, even if both are using the exact same fan. Plus, there are different fan manufacturers, so even if it's not Noctua, you can get different levels of noise at the same CFM.

>Too loud? Swap out to Noctua.
Won't help if the PSU manufacturer used shitty tiny radiators that require over 9000cfm of air to keep cool.

you mean 44k/16

wtf are you literally retarded?

DACs are the worst meme I've seen in quite some time, and I've been working with digital audio since 1993.
my fucking sides. that's insane.
must be retarded

ok can you help with my ways? was just downloading all my shit in FLAC - was gonna buy a DSD and some IEM's and apparently go full fucking retard, what do suggest I do for portable audio? just stick to mp3's on my phone???

Poweramp and opus 1.3 @256kbps

>opus 1.3
appreciate the reply ill have to do a little research on opus, ive never messed with audio codecs other than stock I guess. do you know of any good write ups or tutorials? im guessing I re-encode my existing audio files with that codec? I thought I had to start with all new files that were never converted to dog shit in the first place

You can easily convert FLAC — that is supposedly the good quality audio — into opus. There are even readymade scripts to batch this job out there.

I just got a 256gb card for my phone and copied flacs there. I don't really hear a difference compared to compressed files (street, bus and subway aren't exactly high-end listening environments), but converting is a pain in the ass.

damn poweramp is was worth 4 bucks, very nice. thanks for that suggestion, Ive always just used vlc or stock android shit. will definitely dive into OPUS seems like its pretty much standard... now tell me your feelings about chink IEM's if you would be so kind

>now tell me your feelings about chink IEM's if you would be so kind
I have a lot of them and for me they are good value for money.
You can also check out this thread
>69034714

What do you use instead of a DAC then?

Fuck.

he probably means that dedicated external dacs are a meme, not dacs in general

*click*

that's exactly what I meant.

gaming motherboards also offer overclocking support, monitors have high resolutions and refresh rates and gaming RAM is higher speed too

That said, anything above 1080p is a meme, just use DSR factors to get better anti-aliasing and higher texture sampling rates, the actual increase in pixel count is unimportant and gaming and certainly is for most video consumption

You need the cheapest ass HDMI cable you can find with "2.1" on it.

Hyper-Threading

Most motherboards don't have line outputs tho.

wat

you value things by the dollar or equivalent (but I assume you are american). The gold standard died a long, long time ago.

The green "headphone" output works as a line output, even if that's not ideal. If you have 6 sockets instead of 3, some codecs can redirect stereo to the "rear" output, which has no preamp.

But in general, if you want high quality audio, get a USB sound card (which is technically the same as a "DAC" but without the audiophile tax) or just send audio over HDMI/SPDIF to your AV receiver/amp.

>cheapest ass HDMI cable

I got a bunch of /csg/ tier HDMI cables to connect new monitors at work and like 1 in 5 failed to produce 1080p60 or wasn't even recognized by the computer.

>That's an output device

>Yes, so you connect it to some kind of input. Cheapo HDA codecs tend to sound like shit with headphones, but connect them to an amp with 10kOhm input and they're usually decent.

WTF does a codec have to do with a high impedance input. You have no idea what you're talking about. A DAC receives a digital signal as its input. Ok, it doesn't matter what the "impedance" is. That's as nonsensical as people spending over $100 on an hdmi cab. Are you just confusing terminology here?

DAC receives a digital input generally from your computer. It then outputs an analog signal.

men used to argue about cars rather than openly talk about feeling sexually not good enough or worrying if they pleased people.

now they argue about computers and audio gear. because cars have all become economical and cucked.