Good 32bit programs?

Aren't 32 bit browsers better because they use less ram? I don't care about so called (((security))) when its not a real problem. Are there any good 32 bit programs besides based foobar2000? I use linux now so that doesn't matter to me. I feel like its just a shill to make you get fucked by ram companies, although a lot of programs benefit from 64 bit, some don't right?

Attached: 1502821198976.png (700x732, 715K)

Other urls found in this thread:

geoffchappell.com/notes/windows/license/memory.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You only need a 64-bit browser if you open like 100 tabs and need more than 4gb ram for the browser.

T. Boomer

>falling for the high ram usage is bad meme

Hello Boomer

>Aren't 32 bit browsers better because they use less ram?
what?
delete this thread please

>good
>32-bit
Choose one

What a shitty retarded thread

literally this, i fucking hate uneducated dumb fucks that think using less ram is better

>high ram usage is good

Attached: 1540603436671.jpg (399x370, 23K)

>Adding 1 to 1 requires 6GiB

Attached: image_1.jpg (303x208, 49K)

You can have your billion tabs and 32 bit if you make each tab its own process.

I hate uneducated dumb fucks that think:

time complexity == space complexity

>Aren't 32 bit browsers better because they use less ram?
Thanks for the reminder I share this planet with literal retards.

t. lisp tard

t. lisp tards

Attached: SC_SCAM.png (224x250, 4K)

smaller pointer size == more instructions fitting in in i-cache. also rip relative addressing encourages bloated instructions vs taking a small performance penalty doing a relocation if you dont get loaded at a preferred base address so this also means youll get less cache misses.

you should ALWAYS use 32 bit browser if you care about speed at all

Specifically, you should be using x32. Standard i686 code shouldn't be used anymore, however, as it only has access to 8 registers at a time.

yeah maybe if you want tons of rex prefix bytes bloating everything which i didnt mention in my previous post

MPEG Streamclip

Not having to constantly swap variables between the registers and the stack as often is worth a few prefixes.

Ideally you only use 4 byte pointers when you need them and 8 bytes when you have something located in memory above ~4gb. Pretty sure modern compilers by default or options allow you to optimize that.
>64 bit has performance penalties!
Actually, the opposite. Like said, more registers means having to rely less on swapping things around either in memory or on the stack. It might not be noticeable to users or people used to high level languages/OOP stuff; but believe me, having 8 more registers is a freaking godsend.

less ram is better
else on android phones

>he can't afford ram

Attached: 1545427507907.png (623x527, 413K)

Why? You can have up to 64GB of memory with a 32 bit OS.

>I don't care about so called (((security))) when its not a real problem.
So you care about not-real problems like fucking ram in 2018? unused ram is wasted ram

ok. retard

Attached: 1541126642880.png (436x488, 11K)

Generally, the order of importance for software is
>actually works
>is secure
>is fast
>doesn't use too much RAM
Since 64-bit browsers are faster, using 32-bit ones is wrong for at least two reasons.

Just get a 20GB swap file and be done with it.

This. time complexity >> space complexity

The fact that PAE-enabled processors have a 36 bit address bus doesn't mean each process can address 36 bits of memory, they're limited to just 2 GiB. In fact, most operating systems don't even support using more than 4 GiB of RAM in 32 bit versions, as it's not worth the effort. There are some patches to Linux that enable such thing, but it comes with an overhead to memory usage among other things, and it has little use (the only one I can think of is old server hardware that required plenty of memory, but that won't be efficient nowadays in any meaningful way).
Try looking things up the next time to avoid looking like a complete retard.

Attached: brain_damage.jpg (600x604, 52K)

are they faster? i have not noticed that at all.

How are 64 bit browsers more secure? I can get 32 bit builds of the latest browsers and get all the security patches I need.

>That 32-bit editions of Windows starting with Windows Vista are limited to 4GB is not because of any technical constraint on 32-bit operating systems. The 32-bit editions of Windows Vista and Windows 7 all contain code for using physical memory above 4GB. Microsoft just doesn’t license you to use that code.

source: geoffchappell.com/notes/windows/license/memory.htm

so you're FUCKING IDIOT

Attached: system8189.png (776x721, 203K)

Back when I was using windows and Google released the first 64-bit build of chrome for windows, they claimed that it was about 25% faster than the 32-bit version because of better compiler optimizations, and as far as I could tell, it was genuinely faster.

OP said he doesn't care about security, so it sounded like he wants to install an outdated version of some browser.

my point was that they say 32bit versions are less secure due to lower amounts of address space, but it's pretty much waiting for another meltdown/spectre virus with exact timing. It's a feature that cites security but isn't a real world problem.

this, x32 is truly the best solution. Particularly with modern browsers like Chrome which use a new process for every little thing, so you'll never exceed 4GB / process.

I fell for the 16GB ram meme

Attached: 4L_eDZXzObM.jpg (680x471, 267K)