/spg/ - Smartphone General

Have a very POCO Christmas!

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: sketch-1545643584306.png (1079x720, 883K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9140&idPhone2=8893
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_ai_dual_camera-9120.php
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_6_pro-9333.php
youtu.be/BsHtfLh6azw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First to say that OLED displays are garbage and get burn during regular use

E Ink till I fucking die

That's not true at all. 5 years on my Galaxy S4. Still no burn in.

>huawei phones literally have a creepshot feature
why am I only finding out about this now? absolutely based.

Attached: IMG_20181224_111128.jpg (1428x1080, 212K)

Ban all chinese pervert phones!

I actually have a Poco F1, am I retarded or is it impossible to paste text without formatting? Only option is "Paste" whereas my previous phone (Xperia XZ1) had an extra option to "Paste without formatting".

just got my pocomeme

bull fucking shit. I am still on my s4 and i still see Potion Maker's UI years after playing it.

too poor to buy a superior mi 8?

"superior"
>no headphone jack
>no MicroSD slot
>smaller battery
>"premium" glass back meme
>burn-in amoled

Xiaomi Mi A2
or
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro

Mi A2 seems to have better specs, but I read here that the Note 5 is the best, I don't understand why.
Opinion?

gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9140&idPhone2=8893

Attached: Capture.png (796x444, 134K)

>not an issue in 2018, type c headphones exist
>only valid point
>smaller battery yes, but overall smaller device, thinner and premium feel + amoled screen uses less battery
>glass, but also metal instead of polycarbonate
>burn in has been eradicated since 2015 on good screens

also
>better camera (12+12 telephoto instead of 12+5) and OIS
>NFC
>quick charge 4
>galileo gps
>less pajeety community with quality roms, for example pixel3rom(along with prandev tier, too)

Mine's always on the lowest brightness setting though.

Redmi Note 5 Pro is the Indian version, this is the Global version:
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_ai_dual_camera-9120.php

There's also a Redmi Note 6 Pro now, the main difference to the Redmi Note 5 is notch and dual selfie camera
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_6_pro-9333.php

Redmi Note 5 / Note 6 Pro is better than Mi A2 because they have a headphone jack and expandable storage, and the battery is bigger. A2 has a faster processor but the difference isn't that big since the A2 throttles under load.

LOL almost every post on the r/Xiaomi subreddit are issues

Yikes! XD

Thanks for the answer user.

Is there any decent non MIUI ROM for the Mi Max 2? Preferably one that doesn't have echoing on calls or a poor graphics performance in comparison? I'm willing to sacrifice some battery life.

Bought my Poco for 290 € at black friday (could find it for less but my redmi 4 Pro just broke so i needed it shipped from EU). Just now Xiaomi is selling The Mi 8 for 299.
Still happy with the Pocomeme, the Mi8 probably would have been nicer but it's not a straight improvement in every area. What i really wanted was the Mi Mix 2s

>Yikes! XD
>>>/discord/

Apps from years ago do that. One volume button is for taking photo and the other one for taking video, both interchangeable. Without clicking sound.

My wife

Can't this be done on custom ROMs somehow?

I mean if you can do that to open up the camera, why hasn't anyone thought of this?

Is rooting your android phone a meme ?

Also, many apps have shutter sound toggle as well.

Figures, if they don't care about your privacy they might as well let you not care about anyone else's.

How do you go from this

Attached: zte_a7g331_axon_7_64gb_smartphone_1257204.jpg (2500x2500, 629K)

TO THIS
BLREGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Attached: ZTE-Axon-9-Pro-10-of-11-1-840x560.jpg (840x560, 95K)

How is the Pocophone's stock rom?

Not worth it.

youtu.be/BsHtfLh6azw

I own an LG G6 bought from Verizon a year ago. I am traveling internationally later today and don't know if my phone is unlocked so I could use a SIM in the other country or not. Does anyone know off hand if it would be, or how to check anyway?

Hello boys, I'm back again questions for recommendations. I want to get my girlfriend a new phone and preferably and upgrade from the iPhone 6S she's currently using. Her battery just dies almost instantly whenever she opens a game.

The thing is, she doesn't like her phone too big - for comparison, my Pocophone is too big for her, so something like the Mi Max 3 are already out of question I guess. I'd be looking for something with a decent battery, around 4000mah and at least 4GB Ram preferrably 6GB but that would already go a bit too high on the price range, so nothing too expensive.

Thanks and merry Christmas!

Attached: 22119331_1869035996440670_500989224_n.jpg (900x900, 124K)

No such thing.

Xperia Compacts but they're too pricey and have small batteries.

That's what I expected too, ignoring the size request, what other recommendations are there?

Xperia XZ1 Compact, small battery but lasts as long as Poco. It's also cheap now.

Why is metal and glass good and plastic bad?

Why would I wanna void my warranty?

If you really want then you can go for it. Xperia XZ1 Compact. XZ2 Compact also ok but it's a bit bigger and lacks the headphone jack.

Also, use Phonearena to compare the sizes.

Disgusting

Just do the $30 battery replacement

Don't listen to this guy. XZ1 Compact doesn't use meme screens so it doesn't consume much battery compared to flagships and their 2k screens and shit.

I'll at least look into it, but not too sure about it - It looks like shit aesthetically.

No.

yeah saving money sounds dumb
t. green bubbles

I have a Pocophone F1 but I hate the virtual keyboard and can't spell for shit on it. Is there a way to get a different one?

To not see ads in the menus, not have you camera nerfed and your data stolen by the chinese government.

Is this your first smartphone? Come on, you can download a new keyboard app.
Rooting and unlocking the bootloader doesn't void warranty on Xiaomi devices. If you flash MIUI before sending your phone for repair, they're going to be none the wiser.

I just dont want to download shitty adware that's all

That's what most Sony smartphones look.

Which one of the two posts I've quoted is yours?

imagine buying into a pocomeme LMAO

>Is this your first smartphone? Come on, you can download a new keyboard app.
that one

>2018
>720p

There are no ads anywhere. Gcam works on stock and even then unlocking the bootloader doesn't void the warranty. And I hate to break this to you but every big agency in the world already has full access to all of your data.

Well, just use your preferred one with a firewall. That's the best coir of action.
Not a good comprise.

>And I hate to break this to you but every big agency in the world already has full access to all of your data.
Care to name them and which data exactly they have on people? This should be fun.

Mi A2 Lite, 4GB/64GB, 4000mah and

Does unlocking the bootloader and installing Lineage trip Safetynet?

PRISM ring a bell?

Attached: 1542754831047.jpg (700x525, 91K)

you can buy brand new xz1 compact for 200€, which is damn good deal for its specs and considering how little options there are for smaller phones

>small batteries
small screen + resolution = it doesn't use that much battery

If price were no issue would you get a OnePlus 6 or an Iphone X

why do you guys like android so much when it makes money spying on you?

Sure, but what's your alternative? Doing everything you can to provide this data anyway?
Not sure, but there's no hardware which triggers a counter on Xiaomi devices, unlike Samsung's Knox. You can even replace the "Unlocked" boot text with a black photo.

I wouldn't get either one because they're both being outperformed by cheaper and better devices. I don't care about the spying-data-selling meme because I have literally nothing to hide and don't get influenced by ads. Android is open and I'd rather have a little control over my OS than none at all.

>outperformed by cheaper and better devices.
such as

Get the pink XZ1C

nokia 6.1 or xiaomi mi a2 lite? i fucking hate the stupid notch on the a2.

Redmi Note 5

too big

Mi A2 Lite

My honor 7 broke. What phone would you guys reccomend for me? New phone should better in every way, especially CPU, RAM and battery wise. Phone must have an external sd storage.
>budget is 400$/350€.
>size doesn't really matter
>country: finland
>system: android

Looking to upgradre from my Huawei P8 lite. For diffrent reason, I'll have to take another Huawei or go for a Samgsung, here are the options I've been given, I can not choose any phone outside of these

>Huawei
Mate10 lite
P20 lite
Y9 (2019)

>Samgsung
A6 plus
J6 plus
J7 prime

I don't really care about any fancy features, I'll be using mostly spotify anf google earth/maps, I'm also looking to keep the new phone I get for at least 3 years, I like the J6 plus desgin but I wanna listen to Jow Forums's opinion on this, please help a tech brainlet

>I don't want to save money because I'm personally triggered over the fact that my girlfriend made an independent decision to use a different mobile operating system

>goes from xz1 to poco instead of xz4 next year
Y tho

Pocophone

Your taste is crap. Fuck off and buy some notched up shitphone

>Huawei or Samsung
Why, they're both shit

Regardless of price what is the most Jow Forums phone?

I want to be one of the cool kids with a super modded in the know phone that is not botnet if possible. What should I get?

Pocophone with LineageOS and GCam

Redmi Note 5 with a sig spoofing ROM and microg installed with GCam
or a Pixel 2 with Copperhead installed

hey Jow Forumsuys, i need some help to find a new phone. The most important things to me are the ability to use my microSD card as an internal storage, & 3.5 mm headphone jack. something that isn't mandatory but would be highly appreciated is if the headphone jack could be located at the top of the phone.

Country/carrier? Budget?

is the redmi really that good good for $200

why the 5 and not the 6?

what about the oneplus

>Pocophone with LineageOS and GCam
i have never heard of this, what is good about it, what is lineage os?

Should I tell them Santa elves to ship my phone written as battery to evade the customs or does it not matter?

>Pocophone with LineageOS and GCam
holy shit the specs on that

liquid cooled wtf

the 5 is that good for $200
it has the same SoC as phones 1.5-2x the cost of it
the only difference is the 6 has a notch and another selfie lenses, but the 5 has a developer community the 6 doesn't have
OP6/T is a good phone, great specs but I'm shaky about OLED phones and how they don't last anywhere near the same amount of time than LCDs, also if you break the screen OLEDs are more expensive to fix than LCDs as well

>never heard of Pocophone or LineageOS
First time here?

now that's what i call cringe

>near
yes

so can you get good internet speeds on it or not

i use my phone as a modem for my lap top all day

Are you stupid? She's been wanting to switch for years. I owned an iPhone 6S before her as well. Don't make stupid assumptions based on your own sad life, you moron.

Your phone looks like shit, it's an objective statement. If you get triggered by some small notch that's your problem.

am i going to have to fool with it and push updates and mess with the os all the time to make it do what i want

depends on what ROM you install
go to XDA forums and search the phone
choose the ROM that has the fewest issues and is still receiving updates
also search which ROMs support signature spoofing if you want to install microg

Lies. Women love iPhones

what benefits from doing that do you get over having a mainstream phone with a factory os

/spg/, why did HTC stop being one of the market leaders? They used to be everywhere and made a fuck ton of phones, now no one talks about them

EXTREMELY minimal footprint with Google
battery savings, depending on the device better performance, also the ability to support the device and upgrade software to the versions of Android the OEMs refuse to push to the device which means the device will last longer than what the OEMs want
the OEMs want you to regularly replace your device because that's their business model, this throws a monkeywrench into that model and allows the consumer to get the most out of the device

interesting, so this is the darling of the independent developers now?

there are other devices that are darlings as well
the Moto G5 Plus, Asus Zenfone Max M1 Pro, Mi A2/A2 Lite, Mi Mix 2/2S, Mi 8 and its variants are also developer darlings
basically any popular phone that allows bootloader unlocking is also a developer darling, but its always best to check XDA forums to see how much support the devices have
some LGs are darlings too but it depends what model number it is because LG are retarded that way, same thing with Samshit

to add that OnePlus devices have always been developer darlings since they were first released, they're definitely the most friendly dev devices outside of the Pixel range

>falling for bait this obvious