Is there any benefit having a x64 os if your laptop only has 4 gigs of ram?

Is there any benefit having a x64 os if your laptop only has 4 gigs of ram?

Attached: F53CD3B2-918F-4C42-AD55-D27A670D0AB3.jpg (720x304, 40K)

Having 4 instead of 3gb ram.

1) Stop referring to x86-64 as x64. x64 is Itanium. Either call it x86-64 or AMD64.

2) Yes, more instructions, more architecture features, larger registers, larger address space (which can be swapped out).

real niggas build their distro with x32 abi userspace

Itanium is IA64

Same as said, BUT
The application's binaries for AMD64 architecture is usually bigger in size and uses more RAM.

There are lots of programs which run faster on 32-bit, but like all things it's not so simple. If a lot of pointers/addresses/size_t's are used then those are twice as large, 32-bit builds will use less space so will get less cache misses. Similarly the stack layout on 64-bit ABIs uses more memory, and the binary output for instructions tends to be larger as well.

64-bit builds can assume far more of the later Intel vector features are present, a well optimized program can run much faster if it's doing a lot of heavy calculations and not relying on the GPU. Also there are more registers (and they are larger) so most programs will work with less stack operations as a general speedup.

If you have a dgpu that is 1gb you lose that memory address space. So you have only 3 gigabytes of system memory in this case. Basically anything that requires mmio will take directly from your system memory due to the restricted address space

Regardless, x86_64 and AMD64 are not x64.

Trash your old laptop.

Attached: 1413237001196.jpg (500x500, 77K)

x64 is what Microsoft and 90% of people call it and see it described as, there is no ambiguity here. Nobody cares.

More like 3.5GB depending on what your GPU takes up.

3.5gb or so is the limit. 4 > 3.5 user.

amd64 has more registers than x86, so code compiled for amd64 is inherently faster than code compiled for x86.

I care motherfucker, and the Itanium poster, apparently.

More registers give you a slight speed boost.
But you lose compatibility with 16bit applications.

Autism awareness month is already over, user.

this was what kept my brainlet self from getting linux a year or two ago.
i thought that amd64 was only if you had amd, i didnt know what arm64 was, and notning else made sense so i gave up.

x86_64 has way more registers.

compatibility with newer releases of many applications

stupid question: in a modern "64-bit" PC we have 2^64 possible physical memory locations. If the address is 64-bits, how many bits wide are the memory contents located at that address?

Yes, I've always seen Itanium as IA-64 as well.

What the fuck are you talking about? There's no such thing as elf16 for linux and win16 support was dropped from windows a looooong time ago.

every address is to a single byte, but modern x64 implementations only use 48 of those bits (i.e., there are only 48 address lines)

Yeah, compatibility with newer applications. Otherwise, no.

Take your pills Richard you're doing it again.

Lool wtf why not Google it & learn that Intel was too incompetent (like always) and couldn't design 64bit so AMD had to instead?

of course it's a benefit. the amount of ram it has is of little consequence. more ram the better, but even with 4gb or substantially less it doesn't really matter.

Look I'm an AMD fan too but lets be real here. Intel did design a working 64 bit architecture, the Itanium 64. The only reason AMD64 won out is because AMD64 extends the x86 32 bit design which means it maintains compatibility with 32 bit software, something Itanium couldn't do.

this

Itanium had problems of its own beyond incompatibility. Primarily that the world was not ready for VLIW.

you can run programs that only come in 64bit

You can run 64 bit software

it takes time to port programs and drivers, and unless everyone gets onboard at the same time, it's unlikely to succeed

on the other hand itanium has no speculative execution and is entirely immune to spectre

How fucking shitty is intel that they can't run 32 bit applications. Jesus, the Nintendo 64 from 1996 was backwards compatible with 32 bit instructions. We're talking about 1996! Most N64 titles were actually 32 bit because the developers didn't need the extra precision.

That's not so bad if a single recompile is all you need to get the full advantage of the new architecture. With VLIW you need a really good compiler for that to be the case.

There's no reason to not use 64-bit you mouth breather.

>compatibility with 32 bit software, something Itanium couldn't do.
Didn't Itaniums have x86 compatibility mode with Pentium III-tier performance?