/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: GravMass.png (800x1200, 508K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wifi#Wifi_during_installation
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Networking#Default:_Using_net-setup
pastebin.com/x9CWgMAL
metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/c/cowsay/cowsay_3.03 dfsg2-5_changelog
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=917124
pastebin.com/JpGdFwbz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How do I connect to wifi on my laptop, I literally just booted from a Gentoo usb. Most of the installation process seems fine to me but I can't connect to wifi because I'm a brainlet with the terminal sometimes.

Any of you guys use porthole? I just learned about it a few minutes ago and think it's pretty nifty looking through the package-tree (since I'm unsure how to do it through cli).

Void will only bring them problems. I think lubuntu uses the greybird theme and the xfce-elementary icon pack.

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wifi#Wifi_during_installation

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Networking#Default:_Using_net-setup

They're too heavy though, I think manjaro refused to install on my 1GB RAM VM, was idling around 200MB~300MB if I remember correctly.

Archbang is possible, it was idling around 160MB, but I never really used it before.

Just started using Mint, its pretty pogchamp

wpa_supplicant -B -i wifi_nterface -c

Sadly, I don't think I can afford gifting a new PC right now.

Switched to nouveau due to graphical glitches with nvidia
I have mesa,lib32-mesa, and xf86-video-nouveau installed, yet i canot launch most gui's because "GLX IS MISSING".
mesa provides glx
I have rebooted since the time of uninstalling nvidia and installing nouveau,which has successfully loaded per dmesg output.
How do i enable glx?

Is anyone actually autistic enough to celebrate grav-mass other than stallman?

Hey linux friends, I've recently been trying ubuntu on my main computer and i have one small, but annoying issue.

My GPU's idle mode isn't initialising, i'm missing the sweet silence of my GPU fans switching off while i'm not doing anything with the computer aside from desktop browsing. GPU is an AMD RX 570 Sapphire Nitro if that makes any difference.

Trying to see if I can get it working now, it's crashing when I try to startx.

Thanks, I will try looking for those.

Use trisquel.

try posting in r/Linux.
we don't know shit

Are you using the proprietary or open driver?

Thanks, trying it in a min.

Open thats included in the Kernel i assume, i thought AMD made all their linux drives open?

I’ve got Xubuntu (is my first distro). I was thinking of installing Arch. Is the only way to keep my files safe just to back them all up then put them back later? Also if you use Arch, why?

didn't like how slstatus was jumping around so much when it things went n/a, even trying to format it didn't fix it completely. so I wrote my own status message in python, for fun.

pastebin.com/x9CWgMAL

I think it should work for i3wm too if you uncomment the print function at line 66.

it requires wuncon siji font for the little icons.

Attached: 2018-12-24_20:59:50.png (1867x58, 1K)

also learning about /proc was fun

I think they have both.

Guys, I'm ready to switch. I'm fed up with windows 10 and want to make the change. But I have a few concerns. Does Linux require babysitting with regards to stability, updates, drivers, etc or is everything automatic like on windows?

I don't know what distro to use. I've read a bunch of articles and wikis but I still don't know what to choose. I want to use this as my daily driver so I want something stable and reliable. It also wouldn't hurt if it was good looking in terms of design. Is Ubuntu really just the best choice or should I skip it and go to something better?

Attached: fc36a2c53c9a01e64537622c386f5dc6a38b196a7fa7f783bc56f0b7a6c6a92d.png (1587x1600, 1.13M)

What is the name of the kernel in Linux?

Uses about 200MB, a bit too heavy still.

GNU

Linux uses the kernel "GNU" (hence GNU/Linux).

Linus Techtipps

Get KDE Neon.
Everything just werks on my thinkpad.

>just werks

Attached: 1542506410220.jpg (638x1000, 92K)

>Does Linux require babysitting with regards to stability, updates, drivers, etc or is everything automatic like on windows?
Depends on the distro. On stable ones it's shoot and forget.
>It also wouldn't hurt if it was good looking in terms of design.
Any distro can look anyway you want.
>Is Ubuntu really just the best choice or should I skip it and go to something better?
Run away from Gnome. I recommend OpenSuSe Leap KDE or Xubuntu LTS.

i never see alpine linux run blender

how the hell do i change metadata like title or author of webms in mpv?

the variants or Ubuntu are just different appearances in the desktop. You can try Kubuntu or just install a theme on Ubuntu so it doesn't look like Halloween purple and orange. Personally I just install normal Ubuntu LTS, check third party drivers (if you don't check it probably wifi won't work), and when I boot I install adwaita and gnome tweaks, in gnome tweaks you just select the theme.

Is it Lin-Nix, Lie-Nux or Lee-Nux?

the last one because I'm mexican

>the variants or Ubuntu are just different appearances in the desktop
This is a myth. The installers are different and different teams control support and updates. Ubuntu LTS is the best supported and most stable OS with the best installer.

The trackpad on my XPS 13 Debian is fucking unusable. It will randomly stop and any movement on it will just scroll instead of move the cursor.

How can I fix this? I knew Dell was shit but Jesus Christ this is fucking dumb.

the installer for an advanced install is rather shit
>This is a myth.
huh, I never read anything about those ""flavors"" I thought it was like Debian, just different DEs, or Fedora spins which are just Fedora with different DEs.
For my Thinkpad all red hat derived distros work well, specifically the sensitivity is pretty good try a live copy of Fedora. Ubuntu was unusable because of acceleration or something, and Debian sensitivity was somewhat too low.

whats a trackpad?

Dare you to swear his name at his birthday.

jesus was a fucking nigger

Cool guys don't use:
Mint
Ubuntu
Fedora
Manjaro

Cool guys use:
Arch
Debian
Gentoo

#!/bin/bash

interface=$(ls /sys/class/net/ | grep 'enp0s20')

if [[ $interface == '' ]]; then
echo 'Mobile network interface not found'
exit
fi

sudo ip netns add mumble_mobile
sudo ip link set $interface netns mumble_mobile
sudo ip netns exec mumble_mobile ip link set $interface up
sudo ip netns exec mumble_mobile dhcpcd $interface

sudo -E ip netns exec mumble_mobile ping www.google.com -c 10
sudo -E ip netns exec mumble_mobile mumble

sudo ip netns exec mumble_mobile dhcpcd -x $interface
sudo ip netns exec mumble_mobile ip link set $interface down
sudo ip netns delete mumble_mobile

Ping works, mumble cannot connect to any server. Why.
Also, is there a better method to run mumble then sudo -E ? su myusername resets gtk theme and other mumble settings for some reason.

BIG BEEFY SERVERS

Is slax usable as a main OS or just a something portable?

It uses about 150MB at idle and looks pretty damn good.

What is the best distro?

Assuming you want Linux for DESKTOP USE (as opposed to server).

Ubuntu LTS for home / SMB. RHEL for enterprise business. OpenSuSE if you prefer KDE or if you are in Europe.

Debian, or a first order derivative

it fucking fixed itself while I was afk
weird as hell, but okay

> metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/c/cowsay/cowsay_3.03 dfsg2-5_changelog
What did they remove?

what's the difference between kubuntu and kde neon?

Fuck off Asian Andy

heh....

>buying a laptop without a trackpoint

no u

GNUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Attached: 1470783072359.jpg (500x333, 110K)

Are we able to set a background color instead of an image? Xorg

Help

Kubuntu is mailnine ubuntu, kde neon is a debianoid mutt. Both will be stable and work just fine but I'd recommend sticking with kubuntu for mainstream ubuntu support
Ubuntu will have the most results when you google how to solve problems. It also has the best package support. I'd recommend trying Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, and OpenSuse and pick whatever feels the most comfortable
Linux
The thing on laptops that controls your cursor
Just use whatever works for you
Whatever works the best for your use case. Servers work best with server distros, IOT with embedded distros, etc
Maybe, it depends on the desktop. If not just make an image in gimp the color you want and set it as a tiled or stretched wallpaper

anytips on getting boson exam environment to run on wine? installer worked perfectly

Should I use Debian or mint for a first time Linux user. I'm learning python also.

Attached: artoria_pendragon_and_saber_fate_stay_night_and_etc_drawn_by_miruto_netsuki__62aa83e0c2030853de828de (724x1023, 135K)

Mint kinda sucks, it's franken distro. If you want modern packages use Ubuntu, if you want stable packages use Debian

what distro r u using

Alright. Does it matter if I use Debian or Ubuntu. I know people say it's preference but I don't really know the differences

Ubuntu is a beginner friendly distro made by a company and based on Debian, Debian is a friendly community distro.

reposting cuz maybe you guys could help
i am looking through distros to pick one. looking for something that uses a .deb package management i.e. apt-get with KDE environment out of the box. if debian and ubuntu dont work for me, what else is there? any suggestions? I liked opensuse but i'm too brainlet to learn a new package manager

this shit with debian sperging out about drivers for hardware being unfree is ridiculous and ubuntu is really fucking gay

idk feels like i gotta learn debian directly so im trying that but maybe there's a good suggestion out there. i need apt get and i like kde, but maybe i'll just go mint /xfce

What is the worst distro?

Install Debian. Ubuntu phones home too much.

christ almighty. qubes did everything perfectly, but then i can't install a proper vpn client without doing all kinds of vm fuckery

Arch

Dec 24 20:35:04 supercortex dbus-daemon[480]: [system] Would reject message, 3 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.13" (uid=0 pid=481 comm="/usr/bin/NetworkManager --no-daemon ") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus" member="StartServiceByName" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.DBus" (bus)
Dec 24 20:35:04 supercortex dbus-daemon[480]: [system] Would reject message, 3 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.13" (uid=0 pid=481 comm="/usr/bin/NetworkManager --no-daemon ") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus" member="GetNameOwner" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.DBus" (bus)
Dec 24 20:35:04 supercortex dbus-daemon[480]: [system] Would reject message, 3 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.13" (uid=0 pid=481 comm="/usr/bin/NetworkManager --no-daemon ") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus" member="GetNameOwner" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.DBus" (bus)

what is happening here, exactly? is this what is causing an infrequent black flicker on my screen?

lol

Lol I had this (with and AMD card) after doing a system update. I just gave up and reinstalled ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

can someone give me a quick tldr of kubernetes vs docker? whats the diference.
also if i were to learn one, witch one you guys think would be better for future jobs? almost finishing my degree

Thank you all for the help. I suppose I'll try Ubuntu lts then and see where it goes. what do you mean by feel the most comfortable?
Also, from what I've read, Ubuntu seems like a more heavyweight distro compared to others. Is this something I should be concerned about if I plan to use it for a while as a daily driver?

It might be my autism but some distros just feel better. You'll develop a taste the more you use *nix. Ubuntu does tend to be a heavier distribution, but if you have a decent CPU and more than 4 gigs of ram you'll be fine. You shouldn't have too many problems with ubuntu as a daily driver. It's a hell of a lot lighter than windows 10

no, that's not true. is not heavier. By default it is. You could uninstall things you don't use or replace them by lighter ones. But doesn't matter as it's just ram usage and not CPU usage.
also
>the most comfortable
he's just retarded ignore him, people here like to choose things over subjective things as how "comfy" distros are.

>heavier
yeah it's heavier, but chances are that after you install all your software you'd probably pull in most of the libraries and stuff Ubuntu includes anyway.

Oh, I see. I'm doing cs in uni so perhaps the libraries will be used at some point.

Also, I plan to install this on a laptop. Is battery life drastically different from windows?

different as in better, I install tlp and intel-undervolt

The one you are using.

In general vendors offer less support for power manager on gnu/linux but the software is much better so the charge lasts more.

I'm thinking about installing Arch, there is any downside on using it?

I'd expect worse battery life compared to Windows. Laptop vendors generally only write drivers for Windows, so Linux Kernel devs are left to guess and reverse-engineer any proprietary power saving functionality.

bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=917124
anyone else having this issue? it's fucking annoying

I am a first time arch user,
I am trying to download sane which is a program to scan programs but after doing the command and installing it, its nowhere on my computer
are their any other programs for scanning?

>Arch user
>actually wants to do something useful with his PC
Should have gone with Ubuntu. Seriously though, I don't think there's an alternative to Sane. Maybe WINE with TWAIN or something.

I have it downloaded on a junker laptop, just messing with it. Ill look into wine and twain

I finally installed Lutris and tried to play games.

In League of Legends FPS was nice and high, but camera movements are sligtly stuttery - it doesn't get in the way of playing, but it just isn't comfy (in comparison with Windows).

I'm using radeon driver, so no DXVK for my GCN 1.0 card.

Is this expected or something isn't right in my system?

this guy

Just finished setting up and mounting partitions for le install gentoo but when I try to get the stage3 tarball with links I get: '-bash: /usr/bin/links: Input/output error'
What the fuck do I do

Attached: 2000px-Gentoo_Linux_logo_matte.svg.png (2000x2094, 340K)

what's the FSF endorsed image format?
Also Merry Christmas to whoever's staying up with me

I'm new to bash scripting and programming in general so my question is probably very stupid.
If I was trying to find if a file is writable, executable, or both using if statements, would this be the best way to do it.
If not, how can I shorten this.
pastebin.com/JpGdFwbz

It is on your computer if you aren't a retard and installed it using your package manager.

You are a retard, never recommend Wine again.

just download using wget or something
why are you installing gentoo anyway?

wget gives me the same result, '/usr/bin/wget: Input/output error'

Also I'm installing gentoo because I want to, like I genuinely want to use it not just fore le memes.

I INSTALLED LINUX ON MY BOX YET ITS NOT RICED TO HELL AND BACK RIGHT OFF THE BAT
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT? DONT TELL ME I HAVE TO ACTUALLY DO STUFF?!?!?