Weird CAT6 cable

Hi Jow Forums,

/diy/ here. I'm trying to wire my house with cat6a per Jow Forums's rec.

I'm trying to terminate it now, watching some howto videos, but my cable is different than the videos. I don't have the colored and striped wires with a separator in the middle, instead I have white with colored wires all individually wrapped. I guess the white that goes with that corresponding color is the same as a striped color one in other wires.

But this cable is so thick, I can't seem to even get it into a CAT6 termination.

What am I doing wrong? Is this the wrong cable or something?

Pic related is the wire. I'm dreading having to rerun this stuff.

Attached: 2018-12-24 15.03.33.jpg (4032x3024, 2.08M)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Tupavco-TP807-Shielded-Connector-Ethernet/dp/B008XP6LDO
amazon.com/RiteAV-Shielded-Terminating-Designed-Direct/dp/B00DR4HN1U/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1545683998&sr=1-8&keywords=ethernet connector awg 23
edesk.belden.com/products/techdata/EUR/1885ENH V8.pdf
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is essentially what I got.

Attached: 6yZ8x.jpg (799x397, 69K)

The white striped wires are just the complement to the twisted pair for the sold wires. Blue/white is the complement to the solid blue. So if you have a white wire in a pair with the blue wire, then you can treat it as blue/white.

Thanks.

I also ordered CAT6 RJ45 terminations, but I have no idea how I'm going to fit these wires into it. It seems way too tight when I try to connect my test cable?

One video I watched had little "cars" that you set the wires into and then feed them in. Mine is just single piece.

Attached: 2018-12-24 15.25.25.jpg (4032x3024, 2.15M)

I've never seen connectors like that. There are probably slots in the end where the wires are supposed to line up in, like normal ones. That hole looks small to me. I learned to terminate ethernet by trial and error. If you can't figure it out, then connectors are cheap. Just get a box of normal ones from home depot or something

mine is fine

Attached: 20120804082720.jpg (620x465, 37K)

This is what they are:
amazon.com/Tupavco-TP807-Shielded-Connector-Ethernet/dp/B008XP6LDO

Maybe I'll try some different ones. What are the best connectors to use for 6a? I don't mind waiting for a shipment (within reason).

Did you just push them in or did yours have some "car" or whatever to guide them?

this is awg 23 it won’t fit in standard connector

white wires probably don’t have stripe but every white wire is paired with colored wire

you will need this connector
amazon.com/RiteAV-Shielded-Terminating-Designed-Direct/dp/B00DR4HN1U/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1545683998&sr=1-8&keywords=ethernet connector awg 23

I should have just bought Cat5e :/ Probably would have been fine.

Yes, they are wrapped in shielding in pairs.

I did buy CAT6 ends, but I see no way to get them in.

Thanks, I will try those. I bought amazon.com/Tupavco-TP807-Shielded-Connector-Ethernet/dp/B008XP6LDO , is it wrong?

>One video I watched had little "cars" that you set the wires into and then feed them in. Mine is just single piece.

Some connectors have blocks to make it easier to insert all the wires.
It's still fiddly but I like the blocks because they let you cut the wires to length after they are inserted.

> awg 23
I thought AWG23 is cat6?

it looks more like cat7

edesk.belden.com/products/techdata/EUR/1885ENH V8.pdf

You think they sent me cat7 by accident? It looks thicker than the Monoprice pictures...

I should add it does say CAT6 on the side, but, crazier things have happened. This wire is massive compared to what I was expecting.

This looks like what I received.

You have to understand that network cables come in two flavors: Installation cable which is thicker and solid wires and flexible cable which is not as thick.
Installation cable is used for - installation in walls - and requires a cat6 dose or patch field or rj45 modules. you do not put rj45 plugs on it usually.
the flexible cable is for making patch and crossovercables - you put plugs on it.

True. This is how you do it properly, use solid wires for a permanent link. Terminate with RJ45 female connectors. Then hook up some RJ45 male-male patch cables.

Oh, so I need to use a wall plate for this?

I'm trying to terminate the ends that go to the garage where the fiber comes into the house. And then I thought about having a plate at the rack but figured "why not just leave a spool and directly connect to the switch".

The garage especially I just wanted to connect directly into my fiber box (then I'll keep the modem in my rack).

CONSUMER ELECTRONICS BOARD
fuck off to

We focus on bunkers there.

Your wires in the pic are clearly in the correct order if you're concerned with that. I'd get the rj45s for cat6 they all have the cars and just slide it in

You can use either for anything. But wall cable is solid and not stranded so it doesn't bend all the time easily. You don't want to move it daily
Crossover cables no longer exists

It's a bit tricky to get them inside in order if yours doesn't have those "cars", but feasible. It's trial and error. Make sure they are as flat and lined up as possible, cut them to equal lengths precisely and insert the cables into the connector. Sometimes one write will go over the others, but as long as it doesn't change the ordering, inside the connector the wires will line up correctly. Push the wires in until you can clearly see the copper in the other side in every single cable and lock it in place.
Sometimes you mess it up, so make sure you're testing of they work correctly ahead of time

Don't use cat 5e, 6, or 7. Use Cat 6a. 10GBE equipment is dropping in price heavily. NICs can be bought for $100, switches can be found for $200.

Go cat 6a and run your lines to a patch panel.

You should of got a cablematters spool off Amazon.

Attached: images.jpg (249x203, 12K)

I do this shit all day at work sometimes. Get a sharpie or screwdriver and hold it against the conductors to straighten them out, then carefully line up the conductors with the pinouts.