Is this a good book to lean python?

Is this a good book to lean python?

Attached: 517XL4pO6jL._SX376_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (378x499, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tkdocs.com/tutorial/
github.com/MrS0m30n3/youtube-dl-gui
functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/#sec-6
scs.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Sessions/List.aspx#folderID="b96d90ae-9871-4fae-91e2-b1627b43e25e"&maxResults=50
wiki.sei.cmu.edu/confluence/display/c/SEI CERT C Coding Standard
python.org/about/gettingstarted/
docs.python.org/3.8/tutorial/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

read it and find out

Sure why not. At least it shows you the only legit use case.

Would this teach me the skills to build a front-end GUI for youtube-dl and ffmpeg?

I always forget the arguments in ffmpeg and I want to build a GUI interface for youtube-dl for my relatives.

Probably not. Sounds like a book to tell you how to emulate shell scripting.

If you already know programming just read Documentation.

For GUI python is GTK and TK as usable GUI.

tkdocs.com/tutorial/

I wouldn't recommend using only it, I learned with "starting out with python" and I liked it, and I read this and some other python books while I was learning, see pic for those titles

this pic

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-12-24 18-15-07.png (1262x877, 362K)

This person has LPTHW so they have no idea what they're talking about

This.

I haven't read it yet, is it really that bad?

The author is a retard. All of his books are bad.

I actually learned some things though so it’s not a whole waste.

there is this thing called the internet where you can find just about any information you want. there is even this amazing thing called a search engine where you can type things like "gui fron end python"

pretty amazing stuff. makes things so much easier!

This book is what introduced me to Python. This was my very first programming book, really.

There are also things Python is very good at. I think is superb for web development with Django and Flask.

It is also a good way to interface other applications' lower level functions (such as the BPY library in Blender, which controls its low level C++ functions through a Python interface).

For creating GUIs please don't bother with TKinter. It straight up sucks and is ugly. I don't know anything about GTK, but PyQt is SWEET.

And Python is famous for data science and machine learning, which in my opinion are pretty meme'y, but that's another use case for it. Mathematicians also love it, and even though I'm a pseud with math, I sure do love to jerk my mind off to the pretty graphs on which I plot my autistic explorations.

You just don't want it for heavy stuff like graphics rendering and calculating. Even with some complex calculations Python does good through NumPy (which interfaces C).

This book won't teach you all of it, but it will teach the most used parts of the language. You won't learn object orientation from it, and you won't use more esoteric functions like "yield" or coroutines or asyinc, but hey, these are VERY specific and you probably won't need them for a good time, and maybe ever (with the exception of object orientation).

Also if you can afford it I really recommend the Treehouse Python courses. There's this teacher there, Kenneth, total SJW, but is GREAT with Python. He won't teach you theory and shit, but he will teach you how to use it very practically. The whole site's anesthetic is a bit lame, but their python courses are great.

I don't believe you.

Attached: keep_on_truckin.webm (714x396, 348K)

I have this book but haven’t read it yet so I can’t give you an opinion. Make a new thread in about 6 months when I finally get around to it.

these front ends already exist, but it would be a good exercise.

building GUIs with python can be pretty painful (at least using PyQt). a lot of applications build the frontend in another (OS-friendly) language, and then leverage python on the back end.

github.com/MrS0m30n3/youtube-dl-gui

there are alot of ffmpeg frontends, but most are old(ish). could still be useful for you in determining how to move forward.

Attached: 14652357121863.jpg (1589x1191, 261K)

Any of the other treehouse courses any good? I’m interested in learning C.

If you want to learn C read K&R.
Then, do this course functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/#sec-6
The lectures are all here: scs.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Sessions/List.aspx#folderID="b96d90ae-9871-4fae-91e2-b1627b43e25e"&maxResults=50
The book you can get on libgen.io
It will teach you gcc/gdb/caches/assembly/arithmetic operations/virtual memory ect ect all in C and x86-64 assembly.
After go through the SEI Cert C coding standard wiki.sei.cmu.edu/confluence/display/c/SEI CERT C Coding Standard

Congrats you know C now and won't blow yourself up while programming stuff.

Great post thanks mate.

Depends. Do you have a lot of boring stuff?

This won't help with GUIs.

What about c#? Best resource to learn c#?

no

The book is no good for you then.

>data science and machine learning, which in my opinion are pretty meme'y
m8 in 10 years if you dont know those memes you'll be unemployable.

What do you mean? I am unironically interested in your opinion on this.

no idea, go on libgen.io and search for C# books though there's plenty of F# books/courses around and they run on .net

Cheers. So many books, so much crap out there. F# blows my mind. I’m not a mathematician so I struggle to see how to apply it when I’ve played around with it so far in basic console applications. Blush face.

what about webdev and research

Microsoft academy, it's all free

>t. k&r fag

Any non-retard in current year would be called an SJW by 80 iq trumptards who go against their own best interest

Ty, c#, probably much like c/c++ is such a huge language now that you could probably have an hour long video on every method there is. And that’s before you start looking at all the azure functions.

EXPERIENCED HEAD-IN THE CLOUDS CS PHD programmer here.

Are there any tutorials, in any language, which don't have a gigantic fucking book to read? I need to teach a normie programming to get the succ.

Ideally its just a set of challenges they can complete.

great book, really useful

Yes.
It teaches the basics, which will get you really far.

Its what I read besides the reference. This user is correct, "learn python the hard way" is garbage.
python.org/about/gettingstarted/

obligatory

Attached: boomer_stuff.png (986x1495, 1.14M)

nobody said shit about Trump and yet everyone implicitly understands what this person meant.

nobody gives a fuck about your partisan politics.

>everyone here implicitly agrees with me
>by being on the wrong side, you're partisan

a) i didn't say anything about anyone agreeing with me, i said they understood the message being conveyed.
b) i just explicitly stated that there are no sides to understanding what "SJW" means.

but go ahead, keep trying to politicize everything. it's super interesting and everyone loves it.

Attached: 1544137040192.jpg (508x508, 14K)

Learn Java.

Both democrats and republicans are capitalist scum giving the people the illusion of choice, they both only serve to uphold the status quo and keep the working class busy fighting each other over retarded shit like blue haired college kids when earth is literally dying because of global warming.

he's asking about learning a fucking programming language dude.

Attached: 1541481475311.jpg (525x700, 71K)

What are you even talking about, I pointed out how sjw is a meaningless term and if you're using it you're likely an 80iq global warming denier, then I got called partisan because I think trumptards are tards

Attached: dude stop.png (480x640, 596K)

>dont talk about actually imprtant political topics
>i just wanna reeee at blue haired sjews

>>Jow Forums

What's the consensus on Think Python? Is it any good?

Attached: 91YM5zb5QgL.jpg (1951x2560, 690K)

Yes, I used it. I'm a designer with zero programming experience and was able to follow along and learn the basics of python easily with this.

>Is this a good book to lean python?
It's not desu

help

Webdev isn't legit by itself and scientific """programmers""" should stay in their containment languages like R, Julia and Forth.

Yeah, of course. But I'm not in this industry. Programming is a part of my hobbies. I worked with it and absolutely hated it.

Maybe one day I'll learn ML, it just isn't part of my priorities now.

I disagree. Python with NumPy, Matplotlib and plotting libraries such as Bokeh is great for scientific stuff.

I liked their CSS and C# courses too.

which one it is

no it won't help with making a GUI. ig you want to learn how to make GUIs in python look at the tkinter library

>great
Bokeh is ok (rhyme not intended), NumPy shouldn't be a thing in the first place and matplotlibs API is retarded (although in a way that's just in line with Pythons own retarded C API)
You can just smell the computers-are-glorified-calculators attitude that makes automating/embedding/porting that stuff a PITA.

there isn't a single good book about python then? that's the look i get from this post

>Bokeh is ok (rhyme not intended
those words don't rhyme dumbass

I guess people have no idea. In many scientific areas, Python has become the de-facto analysis language, and has overtaken R, IDL, Matlab etc. With packages like h5py, netCDF4 and so forth, combined with the Scipy stack, pandas, scikit and matplotlib, you can do your data analysis quickly, efficiently and neat-looking at the same time.
I know of no research group in my field where Python hasn't invaded, the only one's still sticking to IDL are 45+ and mostly too lazy to learn something "new". Python for science is going to stick around for quite some time.

where do i find a good resource which will explain how to build a markov chain in python i want it as an API to serve me random headline titles

is this distro pop os?

i dont need shit'o'really books

docs.python.org/3.8/tutorial/index.html

Maybe in your dialect(language), gupta.
here. I'm well aware as I have maintained such """software""" in the past. It is unfortunate, because R programs don't matter enough to maintain them and Fortran whips those "programmers" into shape, but with Python there are barely restrictions on how ill-designed you can create those programs. And don't get me started on the mandatory bindings that those people produce.
OP's book does the job. But if you'Re looking for a reference, got you covered. That's likely the saving grace of Python.

Most "programs" written in python used for scientific purposes are not meant to be maintained; especially since most scientists are horrific programmers. Obviously they're scientists first. The vast majority of these scripts are less than 1k LOC and you can whip them up in 20 minutes. Which I guess can be both seen as a positive or negative.

Good book for Java?

>positive
this, but unfortunately there are programs/libraries that actually need to be maintained

it's a shit translation of shell scripts to a popular language just to sell books.
read the documentation and study real code (search on github, gitlab...)

wojacks are never obligatory.

Attached: in case of wojack.png (680x683, 372K)

whats the best book on shell (bash) scripts now that you mention that?

Think Python is a good book from what I've heard.

shell scripts are the worst, python is bad but it's an upgrade and good for those specific tasks listed

related

Attached: Programming_Perl_4th_Ed_cover.png (276x361, 67K)

shellscript.sh
tldp.org/LDP/abs/html

thanks these look great

even better

Attached: lrg.jpg (500x656, 76K)

Based, merry christmas dude.

While I agree wholeheartedly with you, please, keep politics on

Scripting thread? Is there anything better for web scraping than node/puppeteer?

underrated

>he believes in global warming

Attached: lmao.jpg (960x720, 172K)

wget/egrep/sed

Does my whole life count

The reality is everything in life is political, people usually only complain about it when it's politics they don't like.
>stop kneeling football man reeee
Though I'll admit it ended up being a little off topic, I was only responding to the unironic use of sjw

Maybe in a perfect world, user, but the MODERN web is loaded with javascript.

redpill me on global warming. my dad's been trying to convince me that it's all a money-motivated hoax, but I can see both sides being motivated by money, so I'm unconvinced so far

It's clearly there, and causing problems. The alarmists are just overhyping it

this is better as a gif desu

do Americans really nail their rugs to the wall?

Attached: 1543287535337.jpg (1080x1080, 198K)

musical version of this would be frustrating too, some progression that never resolves

So you admit that you sperged out simply because soneone said "SJW". Maybe just don't do that in the future then

>The reality is everything in life is political,
agreed. people who perpetuate bullshit should be called out on it every time.

genius

If you call that sperging out sure, but I've noticed it's really common on the internet when people are arguing one of them will usually make the other out to be a raging sperg even though I don't I've showed that. Really I'm just trying to distract myself from my depression

I read this book and I learned the basics of data structures and algorithms which lets you jump into doing things like web scraping, web crawling, GUI automation. The chapters don't go hardcore into it but just enough to begin building bots for profit. Just read it and start making apps that make money!

automate social media accounts to get tons of followers and get paid to make shout-outs. Create e-shops and automate emails to bring customers. Farm gold or levels in computer games then sell the accounts. Or do bots for online shopping/stock market if that's your thing.

I used to be that idiot who dumped time into teaching myself industry skills like web frameworks such as Django and version control like Git and OOP concepts what a waste of time studying things like to become a wage cuck.

From what I've read, Java is supposedly a better language for making apps.