/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: 2622.jpg (640x640, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rufus.akeo.ie/
dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu
us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
ppa.launchpad.net/snwh/ppa/ubuntu
security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase
amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-"Boot-Kit"
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What IDEs are there for Linux that can do a scope-wide rename? None of the usual suspects (vim, emacs, geany) seem to have that, based on a quick googling.
I don't even care about language that much. C, Java, Python, all good.
Should I just use Eclipse?

/bin/sh

I get that this is a joke answer, but I'm not sure if I'm getting the joke.
Are you suggesting I write my own SHELL SCRIPT, of all things, to parse a programming language syntax and rename things for me?

how the hell do i disable the Christmas hats in 4chanX/Oneechan? They were nice at first, but now they just get in the way of OP images and are generally an eyesore.

I had a 128 gig sandisk microsd card just get corrupted on me. Had it for about a year, whats the failure rates on micro sd cards? What causes corruption from everyday use? I'm prolly gonna buy a samsung 256 gig, but I'm afriad itll get corrupted, and Ill have to transfer all those individual files again.

Use your ad blocker to block the element.

I just got an M.2 SSD and I currently have a SATA SSD in my pc. Is there software I can use to copy the data from my current SATA drive to the M.2 so I don't have to install Winblows and my gaymes again? Then my plan would be to format the old drive and use it as mass storage

I have physical access to a hard drive with linux installed on it, but can't boot it for reasons. How can I change the password it uses?

Attached: 1537385343010.png (645x768, 184K)

>boot linux from someplace else
>be root
>mount hard drive to location
>chroot location
>passwd user
Or just passwd root while you're at it.

I've been trying to install windows on my computer through a usb, so I've been reformatting it and adding windows to it, but each time I tried to install from it I've ran into issues. the first time, one of the drivers apparantly didn't move over properly to the usb, so I reformatted and re-added it. then it just gave a blank blue screen, so I tried reformatting to fat32 (instead of ntfs) and using the april update version of windows 10. Now it won't get recognized as a USB device by anything and I Can't access it anymore. How can I fix it and make sure the install's correct?

>chroot
I'm no linux expert, but can I do this using AMD64 to powerpc or whatever

What's the cheapest 1tb ssd model that isn't chinkshit or low quality garbage?
I can get a 1tb hikvision c100 ssd for just 100usd but there's little to no review about this thing from a company that has little to do with flash storage products.

Macrium Reflect

ADATA

rufus.akeo.ie/

I have an old laptop with a dead battery.
Should i buy a new battery and give it to my mom as a backup or is it too old? She already has a better ThinkPad.

>ThinkPad X61s
>1.6-GHz Core 2 Duo L7500
>4GB DDR2
>128Gb SSD
>12.1" 1024x768
>Windows 7 Ultimate
>Use: only email and non-youtube internet.

Attached: dried cranberries.jpg (1280x720, 73K)

is gtx 1060 with crippled gp104 worth it?

Attached: 22708861_125281331474328_3202887288790974464_n.jpg (1080x1349, 132K)

>for a backup
just letting you know, if you've got another family member in need of a computer, most of the family will view it as a dick move to give it to your mom instead of the other family member.
also if it's gonna be a backup computer I'd suggest you hang on to it and keep it safe. if your mom is anything like mine she'd put it somewhere "she won't forget it" and then when it's needed not be able to find it

What version of Jow Forums X should I be using? What's the most current?

I don't think so, but there should be workarounds.
chroot doesn't do anything too special, it just changes the root folder of the file system to whatever you specify. If you got hard drive A mounted to computer B, and you chroot A, then you're running the shell from B using whatever binaries are in A.
If you can't run A/bin/passwd on computer B for whatever reason, then it isn't going to work. However, you can mount --bind /bin A/bin before running chroot, and that should leave you with your B binaries, and just editing the files in A. Assuming the file systems are compatible, I think this should work.
The files in question are /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. They're not really meant to be edited by hand, but you can overwrite them if you have to.

>etc/passwd and /etc/shadow
I googled these and they seem to be my target like you said. If I delete the "root" user password hash, will I just not have to enter a root password for root access and then change the password once I have root access?

Attached: 1535131324435.jpg (978x1024, 85K)

noface I think

i am looking through distros to pick one. looking for something that uses a .deb package management i.e. apt-get with KDE environment out of the box. if debian and ubuntu dont work for me, what else is there? any suggestions? I liked opensuse but i'm too brainlet to learn a new package manager

this shit with debian sperging out about drivers for hardware being unfree is ridiculous and ubuntu is really fucking gay

just use antergos with lts colonel
you don't have to mess with cli package management if you don't feel like learning it, and if you can't figure out the gui package manager then I don't know what to tell you frendo

Epic, thanks

Thanks for the tip but i like using CLI package management, just cbf to learn a new one
maybe debian will work though i guess

you might give neon a shot

yes true that is the one im trying next actually
if it doesnt work out fuck it, mint has apt get doesnt it so. also if i can just get the fucking debian to behave then it would be fine

yeah, mint has two choices now, the regulare buntu based mint but there's also mint debian edition now, if you want something a little lighter

it seems like worrying about whether you wlan driver is completely free is fucking tinfoil hat shit but i guess i get it

>If I delete the "root" user password hash
I don't think that should work, but I'm not sure, and I don't have a VM handy to test it.
Worth a try, I guess. If it doesn't work, there's apparently a tool that lets you generate the hashes manually, for copying into /etc/shadow. Google mkpasswd.

I can't use rufus; I don't have a windows computer with enough memory to hold the .iso.

How young do we actually start to be self aware and remembering memories?

Attached: d5b9e873-ae05-4b5c-8b60-9b3af67d1b18.jpg (1080x1071, 109K)

Someone used a hijacked ebay/paypal account to buy some fortnite skins off me for $99 and then later the owner (I'm assuming) reversed the transaction when they spotted it. I was ready to be pretty pissed but it turns out the moron didn't even bother to redeem the key I sent them, so I quickly redeemed it myself (it was an nvidia key that generates a fortnite key once you redeem it) so idiot scammer gets nothing, I still have a key I can sell again, this time being more careful obviously.

Only thing is, will my account suffer repercussions for this besides the money getting refunded to the buyer? I already went ahead and authorized them to just go ahead and refund it and close the case but I don't know if this will count as me losing a dispute and affect my seller status or what? Obviously you'd think an unauthorized transaction wouldn't be my fault as a seller but not sure how they see it on their end...

Hey fellas, just installed kubuntu 18.04 and am having some issues with wine. I used to be able to just double click an exe (in this case 1.12 WoW) and it would run no issue, well I guess this is a bug that it doesn't do that now for some, and there's no option in the menus to make it open with wine as the default behavior, so I tried adding the ppa to get the new version of wine and it says

Err:1 dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu bionic InRelease
The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 76F1A20FF987672F
Get:3 us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates InRelease [88.7 kB]
Hit:4 ppa.launchpad.net/snwh/ppa/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Get:5 us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports InRelease [74.6 kB]
Get:6 security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security InRelease [83.2 kB]
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu bionic InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 76F1A20FF987672F
E: The repository 'dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu bionic InRelease' is not signed.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.

Is there anyway around this?

Attached: f274710e9cc6ce57081c5d5aac9e2cf6.jpg (736x993, 144K)

I want to download a bunch of youtube videos and store them to watch them later. What chrome extension can I get to do that? And what would be the best way to store all that data?

how do i fix this? wired connection, windows 8.1

Attached: ping.png (966x146, 16K)

nevermind, I didn't know I had to add the key myself

Anyone know a usb-c/HDMI adapter that works with super old shitty TVs? This works great at home but no dice at my mom's.

Attached: IMG_20181224_210139.jpg (2176x3333, 750K)

Every distro I tried in 2014, 2015, and 2016 worked fine with my PCE-AC68 (Broadcom, of-fucking-course. BCM4360) out of the box, on boot, without fucking around.

Now any distro I try fails to do so. Installing the drivers on Live is fucking worthless, and I can't risk a drive install without internet connectivity. (No devices for tether. Can't move desktop.)

Doing some googling gives me a long list of circle-jerk CLI driver compiles and such. Checking Driver Manager or whatever under Ubuntu variants LiveUSB shows the drivers, but I have no way to verify it *actually* works since live wont do it automatically.

It used to work, now it doesn't. I know the hardware is fine.

What the fuck happened?

What's the point of a live distro that can't install drivers to use fucking network hardware of all things? It's not exactly an obscure device, chipset or manufacturer. I don't give a goddamn about "free" or legality.

Is there somewhere I can find a distro with live support that'll actually install the drivers (since I can't install->reboot) so I have wifi connectivity before & during installation?

Reee.

What are the best noise cancelling headphones? No bluetooth bullshit unless it has a 3.5mm jack.

I want to cancel as much sound as possible.

What is a good way to encrypt my shits nowadays on Wangblows?

What's the DBAN equivalent for SSDs? I got a new laptop and I want to wipe windows off it.

Veracrypt

ATA Secure Erase
ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

If I let my gpu idle at around 900mhz, would it be detrimental in any way?

It normally idles at like 100mhz or something and it causes things like dragging windows and scrolling to be choppy.

Is Jow Forums X borked or is it just me? Auto update doesn't work.

I am trying to download one of these stupid Mpeg/dash stream things where it has one mpd manifest thing that splits the whole video into m4s segments

Already tried InviDownloader but that doesn't seem to do anything with any of the mpd or other URL's i feed into it

Youtube DL gui also gives out nothing but errors with those URL's - Am i shit out of luck when it comes to this video?

Attached: 1536868124281.png (398x400, 96K)

how does the touch screen work when emulating DS games on android devices?

Use violentmonkey.

Should I buy an HP stream or a windows 10 tablet for anime and visual novels. I'm currently bedridden due to a car wreck and will be in the hospital for a few months.

Attached: 1545153732319.jpg (317x326, 33K)

Lenovo T420

W10 Tablet with minimum 2GB RAM, 4GB RAM ideally.
Avoid all HP laptops.
Buy a used Thinkpad.

Anyone that repairs laptops for a living will tell you this, also specially the stream series because the shitty stuff they do.

Will do. I've heard very very bad things since 2007 of HP. Thank you mate.

Can someone explain what a proper Audio setup looks like?

Why is it better to buy a external DAC/AMP box than a new soundcard?
Are those generic DAC boxes good enough for a normal setup, pic related the one im talking about.
Are PCIe soundcards better than onboard ones enough to justify the cost(Even when they are $40-60 which is not much).

Im just trying to get rid of the insane static my rear 3.5mm jack has.

Attached: 61jP7ftThjL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 96K)

To give you a idea of how bad are HP stream laptops here a example, they use the keyboard as a heatsink.

Attached: IMG_20180404_230541.jpg (2592x1944, 2.16M)

How to tell the difference between when my cat is actually hungry vs just begging for more food to pig out but not really need it?

How long would a HP Stream last if used solely with GNU/Linux? Wangblows 10 was extreme bloated and slow crap compared to Ubuntu for this device.

More accurately, that is the entire cooling system.

The whole base of the keyboard is being used as a heatsink, on the other side of the heatpipe there is a thermal pad too so it transfers heat to the keyboard.
Welcome to HP products.

Not long.
Also reinstall Windows 10 2016 LTSB disable telemetry, defender and updates in group policy, done.

I get those with InternetDownloadManager sometimes.

No. You can force 3D clocks at all times and it's fine.

win7 here, how do I force an action that's blocked by a sharing violation? Example, I want to rename a folder but it's telling me I can't because it's being used by another thing.

It isn't. Can't I force it somehow?

Process Hacker

Find the handle of the thing, close it's handle, or find the thing locking it, and close that.

Probably fucking explorer or some shit under a dllhost

The idea of soundcards is mostly a holdover from when onboard audio sucked. Anything made in the last 8 or 9 years has good enough audio that most people wouldn't notice the difference if you swapped in professional grade shit, especially if you're using it with

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

I can no longer use anything else, I have tasted GNU/Linux, and I cannot give it up.

So then in the end it would look like this.
Motherboard SPDIF>Cheap DAC through SPDIF that are connected to the wall instead USB>Headphones

My front jack has the same problem, not as bad but still there.
Any example of a proper DAC? i usually try to avoid generic chink stuff and this screams that i should avoid it.

You can't with that type. Just feed them the same amount at the sametimes every day.

Lubuntu then.
Just get the Windows tablet, will be better all around, specially to play VNs and read manga.

>VNs in Linux
Good luck.
Anyway you can install Linux in such tablets.

Yeah that's right.

Plenty of cheap ones around, I'd go by amazon reviews. But I'm assuming you don't want to buy a separate AMP, so make sure whatever you get will drive headphones and let you adjust volume. You don't need anything too amazing since you're just trying to get past the system noise.

here, I've gotten to an install screen now by using woeUSB instead of trying to copy the files over manually, but the install just immediately fails with a "windows cannot install required files" error at 1%. I looked up the error code, and it's said to be a corruption issue, but I've used 3 different usb drives now, and they've all had the same result.

Im looking to buy a GPU on sale for boxing day for my gayming rig but im not sure what to get, both the actual card and brand (???)

Im deciding between a 1080 TI and a 1070 TI but theres several different kinds of each? (See pic related) Does it matter which i should get?

Also im willing to spend the extra on the 1080 but how noticable is the jump in performance?

Lastly is amazon an ok place to buy from or is there somewhere better, should i look into getting a second hand card off ebay or do i risk getting jewed?

I havent upgraded in literal years and dont know jack shit so thanks for helping an autist like me.

Attached: 123.png (1646x609, 477K)

What's the best way to watch blu-rays in Linux?

I know of the MakeMKV rip method, and that works for me, but I don't want to necessarily rip everything I want to watch, and I read of a "Stream" method to stream the blu-ray from MakeMKV and watch it in VLC, but I've never seen this "Stream" button in any MakeMKV I've ever downloaded.

And trying to watch directly in VLC does not work, even after following the libaacs/KEYDB.cfg procedure, obviously because the blu-ray is too new and is on MKB v64.

I got it working, it was the USB drives. it turns out that a 3-pack of 16GB usb drives from target aren't the highest of quality.

does valkyria chronicles have a lot of interaction between party members, like fire emblems support convos, or are the party members just kind of there after you get them

anyone here using or knows some good and free nzb indexers? wanted to register on nzbplanet but its invite only.. having a few but they kinda suck

I'm an absolute brainlet, i was trying to uddata ubuntu 16 to 18, but i'm getting this error. what do?

Attached: chh.png (813x514, 108K)

It's what stallman would do

What resolution/Hz does your monitor have?
Will you be using VR Headsets?

The differences are mostly the clocks and coolers.
Some are slightly overclocked already and have better coolers.

Amazon is fine. Second hand can be fine too, just make sure you don't get miner cards.

*update ubuntu

Depends on the person. Most people I know have their first memories from when they were 3-5.

1920x1080 144Hz

No VR.

Is there a way to tell if a card has been used to mine with?

stallman would use awk or elisp

Look closely at the seller or a reason why they sell it.
When they're selling more than one it's probably used for mining.
Ask them why they sell it, something like "upgraded to a 2080" is pretty good.
But you'll never know for sure.

If I put a Ryzen 2000 series CPU in a ASUS mobo that doesn't support it (requires bios update), will it at least start the BIOS/UEFI, or will it refuse to POST at all?

It will require a CPU.
But have a look at amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-"Boot-Kit"

Just got a docking station for a x230.
What CD-RW drive can i install in it? i read through some lenovo forums that only "some" cd readers work.

Attached: a08b76e75f7d6b57e30058db2a1d43c31a62d0e552584c1e8c1be5e7c546d481.jpg (2560x1592, 350K)

How do I resolve the "this site is not secure" warning for my esxi home lab server without actually purchasing a certificate?

Use your own root certificate and sign your own certificates with it.
Then install the root certificate on all devices that access it to make it trusted.

Oh, and to add to that.
If you're using a public visible domain just use letsencrypt

I recently got a [spoiler]cracked[/spoiler] copy or RE4 UHD which I would like to mod but I've encountered a snag I can't find a fix for.
The mod in question is the HD project which re-does most of the textures in the game. In order to use it, you need to patch the game's exe to use 4gb of memory otherwise you'll crash like a bastard. It's simple enough to do - download another exe and patch the game's exe. However when I do it I can't launch the game afterwards. I get error code 0xc0000142. I've looked online and according to the help pages it makes [spoiler]cracked[/spoiler] copies of the game not work. Is there a fix for this problem? Is there a version of the patch which does work with [spoiler]cracked [/spoiler] copies? Or is there a pre-patched version available?

Attached: 1542726977746.jpg (640x480, 36K)

i tried to go to goodoldownloads.com but i get redirected to this page. i am on home internet

Attached: file.png (446x146, 10K)

the domain no longer exists and is up for sale.
the redirect page is just a giant ad.

what would you consider some essential programs to download for a fresh system? installed most of what i needed from ninite but i feel like im missing something

7zip, VLC, a browser, a mail client, sumatra pdf, notepad3