FLAC for archival

FLAC for archival.
Opus for listening.
There are no other codecs needed when it comes to music. Sure, WAV can be used as an intermediary, but WAV64 is highly preferable.

Attached: flac_vs_opus.jpg (3840x971, 3.09M)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Opus#Music_encoding_quality
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoacoustics#Masking_effects
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You may want to use something with hardware decoding to improve your battery life, but yeah... I agree with you. FLAC and Opus are pretty damn good given that your devices can decode them.

> opus for listening
why? when you have flac? seems pointless to me.

To save disk space. You don't only listen to music on your pc.

Decoding audio is so cheap that I doubt it makes any reasonable difference unless the device in question is absurdly low powered.

How do you appreciate / tell the difference between a high and low tier audio quality.

You can't appreciate the difference. Not even with autismo six-thousands dollars Stax setup.
Some people upload mp3 albums converted into FLAC. They add random noise in the listenable spectrum (20-22k Hertz) and nobody notice. It's an easy and low effort way to gain ratio and popularity.
You cant tell the difference. You can either buy a CD and convert it by yourself or hope you're not unlucky when you download FLAC music.
It's still worth to store in lo because in the worst case scenario it's just as bad as lossy. There's no point to save hard drive space when it comes to music. Storing in lossless is affordable for your hard drive, but much less affordable for your mobile device.

>he doesn't have a +64gb device/microSD

I like ALAC myself

>one format for archiving
>one format for listening

Always thought this was an autistic dichotomy. It only gets worse as SD/microSD prices continue to plummet.

Attached: 1516050837656.jpg (500x500, 39K)

Go listen to a 128kbps and FLAC of the same song. You'll probably notice the compression artifacts in the MP3, especially in the higher ranges.

Attached: 1542835009447.jpg (550x811, 63K)

>He doesn't have +64gb of lossless music.

I'm not an audiophile but you can tell the difference especially when multiple instruments or sounds are playing at the same time with mp3 they kinda mix together and become a mess but in flac you can hear each individual sound

holy shit

What's a good opus equivalent for ~192kbps vorbis?

128 or even 96

I simply download every album as lossless, convert to 96kbps Opus and delete the source files afterwards.
>b-but muh archiving
It's all archived right there in the internet, buddy

wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Opus#Music_encoding_quality

I always use 256kbps when encoding Opus, overkill but it sates my autism

I wish that were me.

>Having storage
It's 2018 grandpa, just use spotify, it's opus anyway.

Test

>music streaming service with zero music
ebin

Opus is literally useless unless you're streaming. SD cards are dirt cheap nowadays.
>B-but muh phone doesn't have an external SD!
Buy a non-shit phone next time retard.

ty frens

Attached: 1524070422045.png (240x304, 15K)

>It's all archived right there in the internet, buddy
I really hope no one is really this retarded and this is just bait

I have to convert my flacs to aac due to fitbit ionic only supporting mp3 and aac. Any wizard here know more specifics on the aac support for my shitbit ironic

AAC is the shit iTunes uses uses a .m4a file extension
Unsurprising that normie tech would use the absolutely most norrmie file formats

I've never understood it. How much music do people listen to? My entire library is 137GB at 4158 songs all FLAC, but that's because I am autistic and always have the full albums for every song I want, I don't even listen to probably 10% of that regularly, so what 13GB at best? It's $38 for a 128GB Samsung MicroSD in Canada, so probably like $20 on regular sale in the US.

Maybe I'm just the odd one out and normal people actually do carry 10,000 songs on their phone, but the storage size for FLAC argument stopped making any sense to be a very long time ago.

>it's opus anyway.

Is it? I just googled it and 3 sources say that the High Quality option is 320kbps Ogg Vorbis

Your not odd at all
I have a small hoard of music in any format I can get it in on my desktop but the actual amount of music I listen to on a daily basis and keep on my phone is small so I to can afford to keep all my music in it's native format
For me it's an issue of I hate dealing with playlists and if I want to listen to music I just want to press play and not have to shuffle trough tons of stuff I don't particularly care about

If you rip your music from YouTube you can fit even more music. 50 kbps opus YT rips don't sound that bad.

Depends, above audibly transparent thresholds there is no perceivable difference. Of course that also varies based on the song, so there is no general rule for that.

For most music 128kbps VBR opus or 320kbps mp3 is plenty though.

You can't be serious.

Buy opus jpop where?

>They add random noise in the listenable spectrum (20-22k Hertz) and nobody notice.
What is the point? You can't tell the difference by ear but it's obvious in a spectrogram viewer.

I havent checked out libopus yet but if they use SIMD while decoding it should be good as you can get.

WHAT?!?!

>Sure, WAV can be used as an intermediary, but WAV64 is highly preferable
Not in any recording studios it isn't. Also, I can't wait to reencode all of my library and every audio file I download to Opus just because. Seems really practical.

>just because.
*to save space

>There are no other codecs needed
if it only was that simple. FLAC's the obvious choice when storage space isn't a concern. But when it's not.. it's probably a use-case where Opus isn't among the realistic choices. For example, my Benjie-T6 can't play Opus. Luckily swapping SD cards on it is real easy so I just use FLAC.

>How do you appreciate / tell the differenc
Just listen to a FLAC and whatever you re-encode to for your portable storage. I went through some very old CDs with MP3s from late last century (1999s), they were 128k encoded with whatever not-that-great encoders were common at the time. It was immediately obvious upon playing them that something was just "wrong", it sounded horrible. You hear it if it's bad. The difference between say 224k and 320k Vorbis audio is a lot more subjective and you may or may not notice.

If the choices are MP3 or AAC it's AAC all the way.

just grab the FLAC's off jps and convert to Opus (or whatever) yourself?

Attached: I.O.I-kcon-2016-billboard-1548.jpg (1548x1024, 1.3M)

>You can't tell the difference by ear but it's obvious in a spectrogram viewer.
so you admit there's no difference?

I'd use opus if it wasn't 48khz shit. Lots of stuff is only available as 44.1khz

>he does not stream FLACs
pathetic

>He thinks 64gb of Lossless music is enough
Pleb

Wavpack is preferable to flac

>If the choices are MP3 or AAC it's AAC all the way.
MP3 is free.

>I'd use opus if it wasn't 48khz shit. Lots of stuff is only available as 44.1khz
From what I understand, that shouldn't cause any (additional) loss of information when transcoding.

>Wavpack is preferable to flac
In what way?

Better compression

>mfw I have 700gb of lossless music

>tfw 794000000000TB of lossless music WITH 4K album ART

>he has shit taste in music and stores tracks that no one would ever listen to
If you have more than 1k tracks in your library you should kill yourself instead of listening to anything but best of the best.

You have to make it yourself, buddy.
Personally, I use abcde to rip to FLAC, then opusenc to convert.

Attached: IMG_20181224_175249_1.jpg (2077x1589, 700K)

nah you're wrong man. Lurk more.

>mix together
>You can't be serious.
This is part of what MP3 does. It exploits psychoacoustic masking effects. At low bit rates this becomes noticeable
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoacoustics#Masking_effects

You have the same problem as people who hoard real life junk. Get a good therapist.

>1k
Pleb

WAV64? Do you ever listen to 5.1 24/192?

Nutjob.

Now you are trying to make it look like it's a big deal. Having a bad xmas user? Need to go on 4channel and try to make other anons feel bad?

1k tracks is a laughable amount of music. Lurk more. No therapist for that my friendo.

Are you proud of collecting junk? Nobody is ever going to listen to more than 1k great songs and there is no reason to keep anything but great songs.

Who gives a shit? Use whatever format makes you happy. At the end of the day you are the one who's gonna be listening to it. Just like saying; oh look at me user I'm driving a bmw 325i. Who cares? Not me.

>Junk
Now I see your problem.

If you think there's only 1k tracks that are worth listening and the rest are junk, then you are an absolute ignorant.

In addition, the idea of talking about "tracks" without differentiating if they belong to conceptual albums, if they are fillers, what is their meaning within the album...

Don't worry, ignorance is not necessarily tied to stupidity. You may not be stupid, so just lurk more, educate yourself. There's hope for you my clueless friendo.

Yeah, like a smartphone or embedded media device

>Junk
Now I see your problem.
If you think there's only 1k tracks that are worth listening and the rest are junk, then you are an absolute ignorant.

In addition, the idea of talking about "tracks" without differentiating if they belong to conceptual albums, if they are fillers, what is their meaning within the album...
Don't worry, ignorance is not necessarily tied to stupidity. You may not be stupid, so just lurk more, educate yourself. There's hope for you my clueless friendo.

>If you think there's only 1k tracks that are worth listening and the rest are junk, then you are an absolute ignorant.
Having more than 1k great songs is functionally identical to having just 1k.
>In addition, the idea of talking about "tracks" without differentiating if they belong to conceptual albums, if they are fillers, what is their meaning within the album...
If you listen to whole albums which include fillers and other trash than you are wasting your time. There is enough albums with only great songs in the world.
>Don't worry, ignorance is not necessarily tied to stupidity. You may not be stupid, so just lurk more, educate yourself. There's hope for you my clueless friendo.
You are just a pretentious faggot.

>Having more than 1k great songs is functionally identical to having just 1k.
kek
>If you listen to whole albums which include fillers and other trash than you are wasting your time. There is enough albums with only great songs in the world.
Yeah, looks like an ignorant to me.
>You are just a pretentious faggot.
Don't get offended my friendo, no need to get deffensive

What's your top 5 albums or bands (your choice) boss?

>What's your top 5 albums or bands (your choice) boss?
Here we go, need more fuel for personal attacks? Musical taste is subjective, it's completely irrelevant to the current discussion. I have a question for you though, how many tracks do you have in your collection and how would you rate your least favorite song (excluding fillers) and your most favorite song?

No top 5 then? ok
I was just asking. I was curious to see if you hear any of your favorite albums incomplete because you do not like some of their songs (although they may have a conceptual sense in the album but who cares about that, right?)

>how many tracks do you have in your collection
>how would you rate your least favorite song
Senpai/Famine - Godspeed You! Black Emperor

1.5/5

>your most favorite song
The Stars Are Projectors - Modest Mouse
4.25/5

>Musical taste is subjective, it's completely

I have never said the opposite. Why are you getting you deffensive? Cover your insecurities man.

F am/Famine*

>1.5/5
Why do you keep songs with literally garbage score in your collection?
>4.25/5
You've listened to thousands of songs and don't have anything better?
Anyway, suppose you've rated your whole collection, what would be the score of track #1000?

FLAC for archival and listening. Storagelets get out.

>4.25
>You've listened to thousands of songs and don't have anything better?
You said "most favourite" not "the best". Not the same thing. I have better stuff, yes. Of course I do.

>Why do you keep songs with literally garbage score in your collection?
Because that song belongs to a band and a very specific album. Godspeed you black emperor uses the atmosphere and sound landscapes to generate its sound. There are longer, shorter, more complex and less complex tracks but they all serve a purpose and can NOT be deleted. Would you break the pages of a mediocre chapter of your favorite book? Maybe the book loses its full meaning if you do it.

>Anyway, suppose you've rated your whole collection, what would be the score of track #1000?

Only Rain - Bad Religion

Good song, quick beat of energy before the single (part of an album, you know?). The best thing is, like in any BR song, the Graffin melody accompanied by the choirs (especially in the chorus) .Saw them live this summer, amazing concert. Didn't play this one tho, The Dissent Man is always ignored when they go onto the stage

forgot to rate Only Rain
3/5

>he thinks there is any auditory difference between lossless and high-quality lossy
Audiophiles are retarded, lmao

I never said I have a lossless music collection
In fact, pic related.

Attached: file.png (327x216, 13K)

this for both, master tier

Attached: my_lvl.png (1359x643, 935K)

>96 KHz
>24 bits
Where are you on the spectrum?
>anime OST
Oh.

Are you a bat or a mouse?