Install debian testing

Attached: 1545591369869.png (220x291, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=799295
release.debian.org/jessie/freeze_policy.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

19 days until the freeze starts!

>some tard reads web oob as we boob and gets offended
>debian team decides to pull package
no thanks

my daily driver.

I never wondered why I should use Debian over my daily for a year, maybe more now. Arch Linux.

It has newer packages, its defaults are nice, pure from source packages, fast, simple dependencies, there are more but I can't be bothered to remember them.

I've been wanting to but It just never made sense to, especially after all these years of modifications.

Especially if you use encryption, debian still after all these years has an lvmetad bug on bootup.

Convince me, go ahead, I might give it another try.

Attached: archlinux-logo-dark-1200dpi.b42bd35d5916.png (8000x2659, 255K)

the worst distro i've ever used by far.
they seem to continually break packages in the repo. last week they removed chromium from the repos by mistake. every so often i'll try to install something and some library it uses isn't available.

garbage. use fedora if you want stable with recent packages.

Sorry but I'm not into leftism or anarchism

how long does packages stay in the testing repo before it reaches main?
and it seems it does not have any security updates other than those from upstream
might actually try it out as

My issue is eventually it will be the new stable release, which means while Arch is getting updates, Debian will be frozen on those old packages.

I've heard of Debian testing but the lvmetad issue still exists.

Serious question: what about new non-security related packages is useful for you?

I am on Debian stable. Never noticed anything being old enough to mess with my software development (scientific research)

I don't think anything should intrude your software development just because the program is old.

The issue is features.
Take for example, I use KDE with KDE Connect because I like its integration with my phone, a new feature recently got released on KDE Connect but Debian probably won't have it in the repositories until the next Debian 10 release.

That's not including independant features in KDE that Debian users won't get, and probably won't have in the future because the version it will bring with it will most likely be old by the time Debian 10 releases.

Though one time I remember someone complaining that an SQL package was causing issues with someone's project. No idea.

This is a fair complaint. If features/customization are important and not offered on some stable release I understand. I feel like the stable and bleeding edge people are interested in such different things that they shouldn't argue about which is better

>I feel like the stable and bleeding edge people are interested in such different things that they shouldn't argue about which is better
this

>Take for example, I use KDE with KDE Connect because I like its integration with my phone, a new feature recently got released on KDE Connect but Debian probably won't have it in the repositories until the next Debian 10 release.

My man
This new slider plugin is gonna be a fucking godsend for college.

Absolutely agree.

Just use what works best for you.

aptitude

Install Devuan. Debian but without systemd.

Try OpenSUSE. It has a rolling release like Arch but is maintained by professionals and has system snapshots which is incredible for rolling distros.

But then I wouldn't have systemd.

> Debian but without systemd
Just remove systemd later, is that too hard for you?

No, thank you, I don't want to fix more shit that broke because systemd folks don't understand that breaking non-default configurations is wrong.

>arch user
>cannot find a solution to a stupid ass 'bug' which doesn't even alter functionality. what a meme chaser. I used arch for 7 years and it teached me everything. Now I have less time to fuck around with my setup so I switched to debian sid for main workstation; testing is not recommended other than for actual testers of the stable release, due to freeze and security updates policy.

Also, sid is more up to date and kinda like arch but more stable, if you follow the mailing list for major announcements you are super fine and it never breaks. On my other laptop I have stable and on my home server centos. Zero (0) issues.

bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=799295

Attached: ThinkCat43_2.jpg (1280x960, 228K)

cause u are using the wrong branch, dumbass. See and use either sid for latest packages or stable for absolute stability. And read the documentation.

>packages built against libsystemd
Devuan is a meme regardless of that though. Install Gentoo

Does sid get frozen too?

install debian sid

sid never gets frozen or a name change, it's perpetually unstable (rolling-release).

I'd never use Arch on a server, but speaking about desktops the main issue I had with Arch when I used it (like 10 years ago) was the configuration management was non-existent. It'd just overwrite your configs all the time, that's where the Xorg blew up meme came from. There were also several updates they pushed which made systems unbootable without manual intervention with a LiveCD.

Package versions on Debian are normally fully up to date if you run sid (or it might be in experimental if it's actually having issues).

>using a distro for basedcucks
install gentoo

I did and it's shit. Still using it as I don't feel like distro hopping at the moment, but even Arch is preferable. Thanks for this stupid meme.

Are you sure?
I'm pretty sure sid gets frozen too

I just double checked and it seems they never officially freeze it, but during the final stages of the jessie freeze they stated that unstable should be treated more conservatively.

>release.debian.org/jessie/freeze_policy.html
>Please also note that since many updates (hopefully, the vast majority) will still be going in through unstable, major changes in unstable right now can disrupt efforts to get RC bugs fixed. We do ask that you be aware of the effects your changes can have -- especially if you maintain a library or a key package. Please continue to keep disruptive changes out of unstable and continue making use of experimental for changes that are not suitable for jessie. Note that you can stage NEW uploads in experimental to avoid disruption in unstable.

yeah I thought so
hopefully devuan ceres isn't as gay, afterall they keep their money and dont spend it on (((womans foundations))) like debian does

I did try that, even though lvmetad was still an issue, I actually liked it. But the repositories layout was a little weird for me. I think I tried Tumbleweed, not bad.

The bug is more annoying than an issue. A design complain.

Though this same bug has caused Debian systems to bootloop.

Stability depends on you, how stable can you keep the system and what junk you install. Never had a stability issue with Arch.

I've heard of the memes, it's Jow Forums, you can't get away from the autism.

I don't know if it replaces my config files or not after an update, I haven't experienced any issues with it.

I love Debian's .deb packages, always have. Sid might be the way to go.

security is not as strict