Learning

C before ASM or ASM before C?

Attached: JPEG_20181224_234603.jpg (500x250, 53K)

learn them both at the same time though get familiar with C first. use godbolt to look at what asm instructions your C code compiles down to -- use high optimization flags to make things a bit more readable. dont call it ASM because its not an acronym

I've heard that you should learn how the C maps to machine code. This was from someone I know who is supposed to be very good.

damn godbolt is awesome, thanks for that.

you dont really need to 'know' asm for that though
like just enough to know what its vaguely doing

C

*brainlet mode engaged*

Maybe it can help, but bear in mind that it is platform dependent.
Not everything uses x86

I guess it really depends on what you want to get out of it, and if you're asking this question to begin with starting with C is probably going to be the better choice of the two. A good optimizing compiler will generate better assembly than you will 90% of the time, anyway.

ASM before E except after C

ASM first, then C.
If you understand English, you know enough C to understand when they use C examples in ASM to explain stuff.

Can't believe I'd never seen godbolt before. Thanks

spotted the homo

basic->asm->c

u shuld lern pyfon u dont neeed speed u need fast dev

>you should know how C maps to machine code
That's easy. It doesn't at less than whole program granularity.

Just do something, anything, that's not asking Jow Forums for how to do things.

if this is your first programming language, you're going to be one of those assholes in every CS program that always talks about how high level programming is a waste and low level programming is an art, and then never do anything.

do asm in c

Don't use optimization flags! It may look simpler because there is less assembly output, but the compiler can do major structural changes (jump tables, adding and removing paths, introducing binary search, consolidating variables, and so on). Sometimes the output is hardly recognizable. If you use no optimization, the transformation is much more 1-to-1 so you aren't learning a specific compiler's idiosyncrasies.

-Og is appropriate desu

programming from the ground up

shit book

is this actually a shit book? seems like something useful

ASM before C.
Pic absolute assembly is the easiest to learn and is a good starting point when learning about komputahs.

Who cares compilers optimize your code anyway.

i recommend learning how to write very basic programs in c first and get comfortable with it
then when you start to get into anything involving pointers/memory start learning assembly alongside c

>punch cards
>asm with binary OP codes
>asm with no macros and writing your own headers
>asm with no C calls
>asm with C calls
Only then can you learn C. If you skip a step you're a brainlet

Just C. Why would you want to learn asm?

You dont need to learn asm completely, only autists do that. Just learn some basic shit to have idea how programs being executed under hood, thats it.

c#

Neither

Attached: Starting-FORTH-Cover.jpg (975x1354, 323K)

>high level programming is a waste
For most applications, it is. Just because you have a hammer doesn't make everything you see a nail.

To help make your programs more efficient. So you're not making rookie mistakes that 99% of developers make because they have the same attitude as yours.