Limbo is the best programming language!

Limbo is the best programming language!
It's concurrent, simple, portable, modular, minimalist, fast, small, powerful and easy. It's Go-like (it was made by Rob Pike, the Go guy). vitanuova.com/inferno/limbo.html

It was made for the Dis virtual machine, part of the Inferno operating system.
It's kinda like Java but really minimalist and actually CORA (compile once, run anywhere). It comes with a full os - Inferno, that can run on bare metal and all the major operating systems including Windows, MacOSX, OpenBSD, Linux (X11), while supporting all the major architectures including ARM, x86, PowerPC, Risc-V and more. It's kinda like plan9, it uses files for everything and it's really easy to build grids and concurrent networks.
Give it a try! vitanuova.com

"Why is it not popular?" you ask. That's because of the licence clusterfuck, the software was released as gpl3 so it's safe now.

Attached: titlepic.jpg (435x228, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bitbucket.org/inferno-os/inferno-os
ueber.net/who/mjl/inferno/getting-started.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(operating_system)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why would you use limbo nowadays? Isn't Go basically an improved version of it?

>Rob Pike, the Go guy

Attached: e803990f727efa528548589251c2a9e4.jpg (701x1024, 97K)

Limbo has Go-like syntax and concurrency, but it compiles to bytecode (kinda like Java). The bytecode can be run on all the major archs. It's also much simpler and more general.

Go is a direct descendant of Limbo.

He also made acme and shit but i did the text in a rush, sorry

Can i haz bump

bump

>limbo language
>inferno distro

was this shot written by Dante and vergil themselves or what??

It's a play on Dantes Divine Comedy:
The vm is named Dis.
The os is named Inferno.
The language is called Limbo.
The file protocol is called Styx.

Heh

Isn't it dead?

>Go has a Go-like syntax
No shit
>Go is a descendent of Limbo
Factually wrong.
Also Go compiles to native code, why the fuck would you want bytecode to run on a virtual OS instead?

Julia shits on whatever this weird bullshit is on every front

Yeah it is
Check your fucking facts before you interject. Go is basically Limbo but it doesn't compile to bytecode.

By compiling to bytecode, you have:
Portable binaries that work between architectures and systems
Ability for runtime modules
Better dynamic error handling
Ability to smartly offload computation to other Inferno systems
Good automatic garbage collection
Simple compiler (because you don't need the object code generation shit that C compilers have) that only compiles to bytecode, the rest is handled by the kernel

Julia is a piece of shit. It's a clone of a shitty language made for dumb programmers and it exists only because of mathtards and because retards at python can't even write a JIT

Can you do web dev with limbo. If no it's kill.

>its just like Go but slower and less supported
Sounds terrible.

Go is only really usable for backends, Inferno/Limbo is general purpose. You can make guis, embedded systems, grid systems, network services, vpns, data parsers, bitmap manipulators, tv systems (that's what's been already implemented in Inferno).

Inferno already has a web server and a simple web browser. You can actually do simple web dev in it and it includes a simple "ide" complete with syntax highlighting, debuggers, manuals and filesystems. It works by writing modules for the web server, you have to do it the Inferno way tho. But it's worth it because it creates a fast, powerful, portable system capable of many useful features

Don't forget that Limbo is just a language built on top of Dis. The compiler is just around 80kb, you could easily make your own/port an existing one to Dis!

Bump

Erlang/elixir does this but better

No. It does have better concurrency but that's about it. The languages are completely different and erlang doesn't come with a complete os

Can you hotswap code? And why would I want another OS for my program?

You didn't look at the website, have you? Everything in the os is represented by a file that can be mapped to other systems over the network, creating powerful grids that can share open windows, screens, files, audio and much more. The os is there because it's super comfy and easy to build one with limbo, because it supplies the libraries to build programs.
No one forces you to use inferno as something more than a runtime environment.

And yes, you can hotswap bytecode, unless you do some advanced optimalization.

can I make inferno my native os? How do I start programming in limbo if never done it before?

You probably could run it on your pc as long as it's a x86 machine. It doesn't support 64bit (i'm working on it tho) yet. bitbucket.org/inferno-os/inferno-os you can hg clone this and compile it, there's a readme telling how to do it.
I recommend running it in a host os first.
ueber.net/who/mjl/inferno/getting-started.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(operating_system)

You'll start to notice its genius after a while, it's a perfect networked transparent system.
The /doc/ folder contains many .PDFs that should get you up and running. There's also an abundance of man pages, that you can search through by running lookman in the terminal. And to top it off, there's source for every Limbo program in the /appl/ folder (.b means limbo file, .m is something like .h in C)

Feel free to ask me anything.

>Go is only really usable for backends
Boy you sure are stupid

It was fucking made by Google for backends. There aren't any usable gui libaries anyway. It's only used for webdev