> using a laptop as a desktop

what's with people buying laptops that spend 99% of their time on a desk

Attached: laptop.jpg (755x487, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/wThyBb
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Portability? It could be on any desk. I don't see any reason why people need to get a PC when their laptop is more than enough for them.

But these "people" keep it on their desk 99% of the time, and to make matters worse keep it with the charger plugged in which diminishes the ability of the battery to hold its charge.

because they can, lol user, what's your problem?

so they can take their fap station to bed when they feel like it

And what about it? it's not my stuff so I don't give a shit desu.

I only use my laptop whem I'm not at home. I access my home pc remotely so it's like I'm sitting in front of my computer at any time.

Because a lot of people haven't actually settled anywhere and are either renting a room or a flat without knowing what will happen in the future. Having a desktop means more shit to move when they relocate due to a new job, or their rent gets inevitably risen too much, or some of the roommates fuck off and they are unable to find new ones.

because, hear me out now, perhaps they dont want a comparatively colossal case sitting there wasting space and being an eyesore on their desk or their floor, with dozens of cables running out from it and across their desk and everywhere else like the spaghetti that fell out of your pockets when a cute girl asked you to help her with her computer problems and you sat there stuttering like "uh uh t-thats a l-laptop, y-you should really g-get a desktop y-you know, haha l-like its a d-desk so you should have a uh desktop you know h-haha"

>fucked battery
This happened to me because I put too much faith in Dell's adaptive charging meme, 50% capacity now. Should've set up a manual 70-80% max charge right from the start.

Because they don't, my laptop spends 90% of its time with me on the couch, also I can bring him to kitchen, toilet or balcony, and can travel with him, when visiting parents for example

Netflix in bed OP.
Once I sold my proper desktop replacement laptop (desktp cpu, gpu etc) to a guy and he said "this will be great for watching movies in bed". I just picked the money up and left without saying anything

>what's with people buying something the want and then using it the way they want
Because they want to.

Attached: Christmas Cat _ kellytisdaleart _ Foundmyself.jpg (1275x984, 214K)

For the 1% of times you want to move it around, of course

Cos there's no downsides.

There really is no need for a desktop unless your job needs it.

Attached: F03D09CF-9987-4A51-BF8F-82D2F281A80D.png (665x670, 176K)

I can get a business laptop and it's guaranteed silent. Even building a PC using 'silent' components isn't close to as silent as a silent laptop.

>Much harder to service
>Far fewer ports
>Shitty keyboard
>Trackpads are inherently shit
>Screen too low
>Takes up a lot of desk space
>Hardware runs much hotter, often leading to thermal throttling in demanding workloads
Using "just use an external monitor, mouse and keyboard all of the time" is a stupid argument, and brings literally the worst of both worlds.

ThinkPad + external monitor solves your problems. Unless you game or have heavy multithreaded workloads all the time, you don't need anything else. I found a brand new A485 with a 4(8) core Ryzen on eBay for 550$ the other day. Too bad the cunt relisted it now at 650$, should have bought it sooner.

And why on earth would I use that over a desktop? Portability means literally nothing to me, and every single aspect of it is completely worse.

>>Hardware runs much hotter, often leading to thermal throttling in demanding workloads

Not true these days. Now manufacturers implement a firmware "Power Limit" which throttles the CPU when it hits a power limit set by the vendor. The vendor is free to abuse this function to gimp lower end products. Both Intel(TDP step up/down) and AMD(STAPM) have this function. As a result, the laptop often cannot exceed ~70 centigrade due to the power limit.

Undervolting will actually improve performance as it allows the CPU to achieve higher clocks at the same power limit.

You literally just described throttling, you fucking moron.

((((((((((((thermal)))))))))))) throttling

>CPU gets too hot
>Lets make it run slower
Splitting hairs about power draw and heat is largely irrelevant here, as they are directly related.

If you didn't have fucking autism you could build the cute girl a desktop like I did

Source: am about to be married to her

I guarantee it's not that
It's pretty gibs
Every cunt at my company wants a laptop for free, the following is what happens:
It doesn't improve their work, they take it home and use it for personal shit
OR it doesn't leave their desk, they only wanted it because Susan from accounts got one
OR they complain because it's slower than a desktop
OR essentially forget about it because it isn't a macbook

Because people are technologically illiterate and don't care to change it. The market is based around people being stupid.

Because I'm living in a foreign country for 2 more years before I go back.

>Explicitly said "Thermal Throttling" in your post
>hurls profanities and accuses "splitting hairs" when pointed out that Thermal Throttling occurring these days are mostly false.
>Doesn't seem to be able to grasp the fundamental idea that Thermal Throttling is due to high temperatures of the CPU itself, whereas Power Throttling is due to the CPU hitting a specified and often arbitrary power value, regardless of how well the CPU is cooled

It's convenient when you move.

Are (prebuilt) desktops really cheaper
>Laptop
vs
>Similar Spec desktop
>- prebuilt because laptops are
>- monitor, keyboard, and mouse or trackpad
>- UPS large enough to run the whole setup for at least 4 hours

because it doesn't require 4 seperate devices and cables everywhere and can just be picked up and moved when you need to move house or something?

It is only for casual users, otherwise you would need an external monitor and so on, defeating the point. People who use it with an external monitor usually bring it to work and home again.

What's with people buying desktops, when 99% of what they do can be done on a 4 watt ultra mobile

Because it takes up way less space and you only have to worry about plugging the charger in to get it working

I put it on my lap so it's ok

>keep it with the charger plugged in which diminishes the ability of the battery to hold its charge.
Wrong
Did you completely empty it even once? Dell controllers often report bullshit when they aren't calibrated

Retards

>I can't grasp why people would want anything else than my own ideal solution
Literal autism

portability

when I get to work i plug mine into a 28inch 4k monitor and use my lappy as a second monitor

>crash at friends place for weekend
>bring my laptop
>visit family on holidays
>bring my laptop
>go on vacation
>bring my laptop
>go on business trip
>bring my laptop
>be at home
>use it as desktop
>Get spergged on Jow Forums because apparently I'm not human
Ok, (you) earned this one

Attached: 1459874842501.png (1130x900, 119K)

I have frequent power outages in my area so I took an old ThinkPad with a docking station and stuck it under my desk. The battery still lasts a couple hours so it's like a poor man's UPS. My home server is also an old laptop without a screen.

Attached: 1540642461375.jpg (1024x759, 63K)

I see this often with old people. They can't be asked with buying "all these components" (PC, Monitor, Keyboard, Speakers etc.) so they buy a laptop because it has all this included, unaware of the many disadvantages this decision brings.

Attached: HeroJojoshII.jpg (101x93, 12K)

I don't see the issue. I used to do this before I bought my own desktop & it's really nice to use it as a laptop when you want to. Tablets are nice and all but when it comes to needing to do any actual typing laptops still are superior, not to mention that they stand up by themselves and you don't have to hold them like a tablet if you're using them for a few hours at a time.

because i can shitpost from bed

PC era dead in 1980's. nobody use it.
Thinkpad do all things.

Because working with a fullsize monitor, keyboard and mouse is more comfortable and I can take my laptop anywhere, I just need to remove it from its docking station.

Charge thresholds are a thing that exists

because people want a smallest case possible and don't know about NUC or things like that?
Also laptops have built-in UPS, which is nice.

We're talking about how other people use their PCs, not autist on Jow Forums
>Much harder to service
Most people ask autists like you repair for free or bring it to the repair shop.
>Far fewer ports
Normal people don't use them, everything is in the cloud or on hard disk.
>Shitty keyboard
They can't tell the difference
>Trackpads are inherently shit
Use apple products or a mouse
>Screen too low
Elevate it or use an external screen
>Takes up a lot of desk space
That's not true
>Hardware runs much hotter, often leading to thermal throttling in demanding workloads
Most people surf facebook or use the email
>Using "just use an external monitor, mouse and keyboard all of the time" is a stupid argument, and brings literally the worst of both worlds.
Your desktop use an external monitor, mouse and keyboard all the time, and is equally dumb.

never thought of it that way before.

there are good tablet options that can be mobile.
leaves more in the budget for gaming desktop.

I'm currently using an x220t set in vertical (2nd monitor) as a desktop. I carried the hell out of this thing and chipped the corners of the case, scratched the lid, broke the pen keeper, and now the screen hinge is getting stiff. it makes more sense to make it a desktop now and mod it out.

eGPU is a great idea. The card can always be used later w/NUC or in a seperate gaming build.

Using a win10 8" Tablet for mobile needs. The combo is comfy af.

same reason you demand 38 different obscure ports on your devices that have a 3% chance of actually ever being used at all, let alone once

Attached: itsgotime.png (500x500, 12K)

What's wrong with that?
Are you implying that I should use the laptop on my lap?

>99%
more like 100%
had his portable use but now its to old for that shit, 5kg, plastic screen with bad viewing angles, battery last for like 10 mins...

#justburgerthings

Let it go, they'll never be able to explain it logically. Just like their insistence on ignoring every PSU below 750 Watts for their gaymen rigs, even if their PC never draws more than 380 from the fucking wall socket.

If they only need to use it away from their desk 1% of the time, then it's worth it to get a laptop.

Laptops are easier to transport than desktops.

Too poor to afford to have both a stationary and a portable computer?

Fewer cables and extra bits. No point getting a bulky desktop when a laptop does the trick.

the point is that the desk the laptop sits on changes frequently you fucking brainlet

Why would I need a desktop when my XPS 15 (2017) is more than powerful enough for my daily needs?

Looks like he's specifically talking about people using laptops who don't move them frequently.

I'm not putting forth a solution, I'm just saying that 90%+ people don't actually make proper use of a laptop, it's a huge waste of money to sate people's vanity.

I live in third world country and electricity isn't the most reliable think here, so a laptop offer that over a desktop.
Also it's cheaper that way.

>these "people"

What do you mean 'these "people"'? Are you some kind of crypto-bigot?

I own 7 laptops and only use one 90% of the time, and it's always on a desk. fite me

>buy laptop for college
>use it as you main PC
>have no need for greater power from a desktop

Thats lots of it right there.

Not that user, I do have a desktop and a laptop, but how do you guys keep it synchronized without using google botnet?
t. unironic brainlet

I just sold my desktop pc and only going to keep my laptop, AMA

Keep what synchronized?

You know, meme folder, work folder, music, all sort of thing.

rsync

go deeper please

I can go out on the balcony and do my stuff there when the weather is nice. That's enough of a reason for me.

Attached: 1541181775754.jpg (1366x768, 103K)

>But these "people" keep it on their desk 99% of the time

Yeah, and what happens when they need to move their computer somewhere?

>Laptops: grab it and go
>Desktops: hope you're not in a hurry

I think it's perfectly reasonable for people who aren't techy and just need a facebook/average gaming machine.

>2018
>Still using laptops
Tablets are the future, many people usage are just browser and documents related.
A surface tablet can do 99% of your needs.

Man, if only it was possible to have more than one computer

And why would I do that?

I thought this was a board for tech enthusiasts

Didn't realize that owning lots of pointless shit is what makes you tech enthusiast.

Didn't realize that having a decent computer for when you're not on the go was pointless

But my laptop is more than decent, and I'm not a kid who needs vidya games. Are you?

>But my laptop is more than decent
Any laptop decent enough to function as a desktop isn't decent as a laptop.
>I'm not a kid who needs vidya games. Are you?
My next desktop won't even be capable of running Windows

Working hours lost to back pain.

Attached: 84812BE9-8C1C-4EC3-A521-6E4851829375.jpg (728x546, 48K)

I have a macbook air and i run it as a desktop for hours.
I use an external monitor and magic keyboard with mouse. The thing is that i need to close the lid which means i have to always have it plugged in and the battery charge all the time. For some fucked up reason if you remove the charging cable it goes to sleep so i have to have it plugged in.

Will it damage the battery and why?

Attached: index.jpg (299x168, 9K)

>My next desktop won't even be capable of running Windows
What?

Well it'd be more proper to say Windows isn't capable of running on it. Windows needs an x86(_64) processor.

user it might be shocking to you, but not everyone spends his whole day in front of a screen.

my sister doesnt use pcs at all. a smartphone is all she needs.

pfff, not lying on bed like a true patrician, switching sides whenever you want

Even with "high" monitors, you still look down most of the time.

- laptops are more power efficient
- poratble ie some of use leave mother's basement from time to time
- worthwhile laptops can be used with docks

also straight back and neck isnt exactly healthy either. if you sit for more than a few hours every day youre gonna ruin your back no matter how you sit.

Not to mention cheaper.
A thinkpad will sit you back at max 300$.
A desktop with comparable specs will set you back 400$, not to mention you'd need Mouse+keyboard+monitor+UPS, all will make it more than 500$.

I don't have enough space.

>laptops are cheaper
>A thinkpad will sit you back at max 300$.
Why would you tell lies on the internet?

>500$
>That can't be true...
pcpartpicker.com/list/wThyBb

Attached: mog1.gif (329x232, 794K)

>sitting in bed with Dell® Latitude™ E6400 now with Nvidia® Quadro™ dedicated graphics coprocessor
>tfw it's winter and my Dell® Latitude™ E6400 with Intel® Core 2 Duo™ CPU produces just enough heat with it's amazing 25W TDP to save 10¢ on heating
>tfw Dell® Latitude™ E6400 with Double Data Rate 2 Memory is comfy AF
>tfw Dell® Latitude™ E6400 with TPM 1.2 security coprocessor allows for up to 20% improved Jow Forums shitposting skill
>pick up Dell® Latitude™ E6400 with cast alloy rollcage
>go to table with the Dell® Latitude™ E6400 with soft rim Pointing Stick (also known as Trackpoint™)
>drop Dell® Latitude™ E6400 on Dell® E series Port Replicator™
>latch engages to prevent accidental detach of Dell® Latitude™ E6400 form the Dell® E series Port Replicator™ that could lead to data loss
>all devices connected to Dell® E series Port Replicator™ are instantly connected to Dell® Latitude™ E6400
>tfw just moved laptop therefore proving op is a foggot

Buy Dell® Latitude™ E6400 today at a vendor near you.

Dell® Shitposting Division © 2018

Attached: Dell® Latitude™ E6400.jpg (800x800, 37K)

Get InsomniaX for OSX.

Lol yeah because business spend $300 per laptop, they definitely don't buy minimum $1500 options with highest specs and warranty, and of course they don't use docking solutions instead of forcing their employees to work on 15" screens

t. never had a real job

Yeah but we're neckbeards shitposting on a thinkpad hobby forum, susan from accounts can barely use excel and still owns a machine that runs 32 bit vista, hence why she wants the free work laptop as an upgrade

Also that's your money, not a businesses