Is innovation dying in the tech sphere or have smartphones just hit their ideal form?

Is innovation dying in the tech sphere or have smartphones just hit their ideal form?

Attached: innovation.jpg (1746x1130, 425K)

>thin
>Light
>Touchscreen
>Does every task we need
>Provides internet everywhere in our pocket

I don't think we can improve on them hardware wise much more. We're just further moving into providing means to do every computer task on a smart phone.

the real obstacle is that how we interface with phones has reached its limit

You're not going to see much of anything new until we have neural interfaces

>Is innovation dying
The great recession fucked R&D budgets hard and we’re still feeling the effects.

the samsung folder is going to shake things the fuck up
just you watch

I want a fucking full hardware keyboard again. The n900 was the best phone I ever had and I’d still have it today if it actually had software support.

No. Just no. There is no "quantum" anything, this isn't poorly understood near magic effects of some mythical theoretical particle. This is simply electrons being so small they can move through any material at the path of least resistance, because nothing can exert 100% perfect electrical control over them. It is current leakage. It is nothing but current leakage. It is current leakage in short channel devices, and it happens at literally every feature size, it is not exclusive to small FinFET devices like upcoming 5nm EUV FinFETs. Even planar devices have extremely high degrees of leakage through their channels, directly under the gates, electrons still leak out. Yet despite this the transistors still function.

Quantum tunneling is a meme regurgitated by people who know nothing about the field of FETs

They ain't yet hit ideal form. People are still buying daps

I think they have hit their ideal, or close to it.

Further advancements might be in voice assistants IMO.

Actually good holographic (or maybe even projected) screens would be pretty game changing from a multitasking/media consumption standpoint. Being able to throw up a television-sized screen on any wall (or ideally anywhere) would be comfy af

I seriously thought I'm looking at a Galaxy S2

Attached: file.png (600x600, 463K)

We've already peaked and now we're going backwards into stupid gimmicks and bullshit.

The slab design is very close to its ideal form (all screen, no notch, fully solid state). This is the ideal companies have been racing towards over the last several years. Once it is reached and becomes widely available the really wild innovation will start up again. Depending on how Samsung's Galaxy F goes, I'm thinking foldable screens will be the next big innovation to go mainstream.

Am I the only one here thinking that rectangular phones are just terrible to use. They are extremely un-ergonomic, but noone dares to make different designs anymore in fear of looking ridiculus.
I miss the 2000 phone era, give me a Motorola Razr (and not a cheap imitation like Nokia's Bananaphone) with updated hardware and I would be a happy man.

im actually surprised no company has tried to solve this problem, or that they're not designing smartphones more ergonomically in general

Attached: BN-EL175_ergopr_E_20140908144602.jpg (359x239, 25K)

Big phones won the market. I'm hoping foldable screens will bring on some smaller devices with larger internal screens.

Also samsung is working on this from a software level with One UI. It basically just brings everything you interact with to the bottom of the screen by default (as opposed to the reachability feature iphones have). It looks sort of weird, but it seems like it would work fairly well.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 115K)

All future innovation will come from The Cloud(tm).

When is this shit gonna reach my S9?

We are in the realm of "bullshit and features", just like the automobile industry.

Bunch of people in academia think that next stage of innovation would be transparent and flexible electronics.

Transparent screens require higher power consumption (wide bandgap semiconductors/oxides, which are more resistive). Flexible electronics degrade with bending cycles.

Why isn't designed like this? Sure it's a step in the right direction, but it's still dumb

Attached: whereis.png (280x468, 11K)

Just put the important things on the bottom row, it'd be dumb if you held it in your left hand

Shut up nerd

Because that looks fucking retarded obviously.

it doesn't look aesthetic

same reason keyboards are still big and rectangular instead of ergonomic

Attached: ergonomic-keyboards-120127-microsoft-sculpt-ergo-630[1].jpg (630x420, 76K)

>we’re still feeling the effects

Attached: 1533858935476.png (664x735, 71K)

The only actually ergonomic way to control a phone touch screen is swiping up or down. And even then your gestures can't require precision.

"pop sockets" solve that problem. Phones need to come with cases that have built in "pop sockets"

Sure, but why isn't OS's designed in that sort of way from the getgo?

because some people use their phones by holding with one hand and poking with the other, and designing in this way would completely ruin the use of stylus and etc in favor of an actually very awkward forced onehand ui

Chinks are making gimmicks tho, you can decide yourself how useful those are.

Attached: Nubia-X.jpg (850x445, 52K)

This was solved with the OG iPhones up to the 5S, and then of course Steve Jobs was no longer alive to veto the retardation to follow.

Winner!!

I have one of those. Super hard to hit the right keys since they're placed so fucked.

It's still getting updates from cssu as of last year.

Razr was pinnacle design

Nobody said anything about "quantum" you dumbass i was talking about brain implants

We are. Blue sky shit was already long gone before the recession. And after you needed a concrete, and relatively short, path to profitability for any kind of funding. It’s why all the recent “innovative” billion dollar companies have been peddling services built around existing products instead of actually creating new technology.

>solve this problem
They did.

Attached: Male Enhancer.jpg (980x735, 51K)

It's a copypasta.

The apex of smartphone design is 5 inches.
I had to buy a flagship that's over a year old just to have a decent phone that's compatible with the human body.

Every App could easily fix that in their UI.

But instead they make their UI's very hard to use one-handed on purpose, to increase the likelyhood you'll accidentally click on an add.