How many people here actually use Linux as their daily driver?

youtube.com/watch?v=X7Mhpr_VUiU

How many people here actually use Linux as their daily driver?

Attached: file.png (998x679, 284K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X7Mhpr_VUiU
osboxes.org/vmware-images/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I do. Server, desktop, and laptop, and I run Termux on Android.

Me. Windows is a bitch to develop C on if you don't like IDEs, and I actually find that my limited gayming needs actually work well on WINE.

What do you use? I'm doing as much research as possible. I personally hate things like the Microsoft package and all that other garbage that you're taught to use on your computer... But I find it quite hard making the change to Linux.

Any advice?

Also watching this youtube.com/watch?v=X7Mhpr_VUiU

What do you use your machine for?

Dual booting is pretty good advice if there are some programs in Windows you need. I just use Windows for programs I absolutely need otherwise I'm on Linux all the time. It's also a good way to have a fallback OS in case something with the other OS goes wrong.

One of the advantages to dual booting is you can find and execute things with wine almost seamlessly

I only use Linux to look cool. Windows is what I use in private.

>What do you use?
Ubuntu and Arch.
>Any advice?
At the risk of getting (You)d into oblivion, my best piece of advice is to stay away from the "Freetard-Only" distros until you've got the knowledge and confidence to adapt to that policy. Hardware is the killer for most noobs, and trying to work around not using proprietary drivers for things like networking and GPU's is what will have you tearing your hair out. The OS in itself is not hard to use and manage when you give yourself that little bit of leeway. And again, I'm probably going to get nuked with angry replies, but, I'll say it anyways, install Ubuntu. It's easy, it's up to date, and it's stable.

I should warn you though this can cause complications sometimes, they are usually minor though. Many people talked about having issues with the "OS prober" thing which gives you a nice GUI selection menu for all the OSes, in which case you have to manually select through bios which OS you want to boot into each time (for me its a simple F8 click though). Someone had issues putting both OSes on the same harddrive and could only get it to work by putting them on seperate HDDs, but I doubt that is everyone.

In windows 10 it gets pretty tricky because windows 10 is retarded and tries to lock you out of NTFS drives in Linux (Windows 10 basically doesn't "fully shut down" and goes into some weird pseudo standbye mode to give it the illusion of booting faster). If I recall correctly, if you have an extra HDD set to NTFS for extra data (videos music etc), then the NTFS drive is set to "read only" and you can't delete or edit files, because the system thinks Windows 10 is still booted and it is locking you out. I have to turn off fast boot and all this stuff in windows 10 and legit type "shutdown -s -t 0" into CMD every time to get it to even shut down properly and have access to my other NTFS drives, it's pretty stupid.

Ideally looking for a good Linux distro that'll work well in VMware Workstation to get used to. I tried Linux Mint there and it ran like total ass. Also wouldn't allow me to install WMware tools.

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 377K)

Me, put it on your bedside laptop at first and you won't be using anything else pretty soon.

Something you should keep in mind that I think a lot of people take for granted is that Linux occasionally has compatibility issues with certain hardware. It can make things not work right and then turn people off to Linux completely. Chances are that you won't encounter a problem this bad though, but I think it's good to keep in mind. You can usually get it working anyway, but it can make installing and setting it up it more painful sometimes.

People tend to often have problems with nvidia graphics card, one reason as far as I know is because almost every distro tries to use non proprietary drivers that don't run as well (KDE for instance would freeze for me after like 5 minutes). Fixing this is usually a simple matter of installing the proprietary drivers, but it can be daunting at first when you're completely new to Linux. WIth the KDE problem for instance it would be a simple matter of logging into a non GUI terminal and installing the drivers there so nothing freezes, but if you're a complete newbie and don't know how to even work a command line this would be difficult. When I had this problem I was using Linux for the first time so I basically tried to install the drivers as quickly as possible before something freezes.

vmware runs like ass in general desu

>daily driver
I have a real job so I use Windows. It's really that simple

osboxes.org/vmware-images/

People seem to forget that technology is flawed and every OS has problems. I see a lot of people encounter some issue in Linux and then they go running back to Microsoft, but Microsoft has its equal share of bugs and problems (the recent Windows 10 update where it literally deleted peoples documents kek).

Nice link; thanks everyone for the responses... Good insights.

I've had more issues with Windows 10 this year than I did when I was using Linux.I don't even know why I put up with this shit anymore.

You likely read about this by now but Linux uses a "package manager" you install stuff from, and so you don't install most things by downloading it on your browser (nothing like .exe). Beginner distros all come with a graphical application for installing applications, usually you can find a lot of stuff there. In distros like Ubuntu that use .deb, you can find the applications on the internet as a .deb file often and then run a command to install it (maybe there is some beginner friendly way of installing it IDK).

The beginner distros try to hold your hand and have you use the command line as little as possible, but honestly the command line is a core part of Linux and learning the basic commands would be wise. It seems daunting at first but gets pretty easy and intuitive over time and maybe eventually you'll go full Jow Forums autism with it. Google, forums for your distro of choice (Ubuntu has good forums for beginners) and youtube are your friend.

Yeah I'd be interested in learning the core side of Linux rather than a hand holding experience personally.