Software Development Jobs

What's most important to be happy, or at least content with your software developing job?
What you are building? The technology or language you build it with? The colleagues you have? The income you get? Company size and culture?

Attached: software-developers.jpg (1200x800, 107K)

Jow Forums, the new Google for sperglords

Income and learning opportunities first, then colleagues and everything else second. You can always job hop after a year or two if you hate your environment.

Attached: 1526832892774.jpg (668x480, 91K)

I think that the project I contribute to is legitimately useful to a lot of people.
It is probably the only reason I am alive because otherwise my life is pretty miserable.

Liberty. I only want to work places that treat me like an adult and let me come and go whenever, work from home, wear what I want to, etc. Get the work done and show up to meetings. Try to spend most of your time in the office. That's all you need.

I don't like being treated like a child either. For example, one company yelled at me for not taking notes during a meeting. Like, the fuck? I don't need to take notes. This isn't grade school. I left them real quick.

I like to be respected. You don't yell at software engineers. You don't cheat them out of compensation. I will leave you in a heartbeat because recruiters hit me up literally every day and they'll give me a 20% raise.

I turned down an offer that paid twice as much to work for a company that had more liberty.
It's been years and I don't regret it in the slightest.
They pay me to do what I would be doing for free and treat me with respect. What more could I ask for.

I imagine you have to be pretty morally bankrupt to be a dev so it wouldn't surprise me if income is everyone's number one

This, plus learning opportunities.

>I imagine you have to be pretty morally bankrupt to be a dev
What makes you come to this conclusion?

desu this but reading this don't you think its kind of fucked up that most other people who do different kinds of work get treated like shit even if they do good work? And that even the things that we have are not necessarily going to be there forever?

You can have all the liberty you want when you're retired :).

Your boss and the culture.

Definitely not, having a shitty workplace is aids and few people will stay for an extended period of time even if the pay is good

Are other people in high demand fields treated poorly? Like mechanical engineers and shit?

I do feel kind of bad for the service industry, but those people usually won't do good work unless forced to. They're shitty jobs.

desu usually comes after.

Agreed In my neighborhood, people put on a face when taking orders. Like it's so bad that you have to look away from your cellphone for 2 minutes while at work.
I don't know what fantasy land this is where people think they can actively make faces and grunt when tasked, and expect me to feel anything but annoyed in turn.
If you do your job well, I respect you like any other, but it's pretty rare to encounter where I'm from.
Little sympathy for those without work ethic, at any level.

If I get paid to do what I enjoy now the timescale doesn't really matter. If I was retired today I'd legitimately be doing the exact same thing every day.

You don't want to be treated like an adult, you want to coddled like a child. You act like a disrespectful child and view your time as more valuable than everyone else's and expect "respect" from that. It's a good idea for your kind to jump ship often because no one who has ever worked with you is going to promote you.

I don't view my own time as more valuable than everyone else's, I think that companies shouldn't micromanage anyone. If someone can do the work on time and attend all meetings, who cares if they leave at 3 most days to work from home? Employers should also respect their employees. I'm not sure how you got that from what I said. Either you're projecting, or your company treats you like shit and you're jealous.

How would you know what that user does? This feels like an unfair generalization and/or some kind of projection.

I'm still early in my career, so I don't have a complete list of the things I like yet, but I do what I don't like based on my current experience.

1. Don't waste developers' time by making them do non-development-related things.
2. Allow developers to explore and innovate; it keeps them happy and will probably lead to benefits for the company as well.
3. Regular team meetings are a must, but keep them short and to the point.

>Don't waste developers' time by making them do non-development-related things.
Do you mean like agile stuff? Or have you really had someone pay you a developer salary to do random other shit?

Not the guy you are replying to, but my company makes me do things outside of development all the time. I consistently get roped into quality control for production or server maintenance. Smaller places get you to so everything to get the most out of you.

My current job makes me do data entry.
I get yelled out fairly often for not doing enough, then I got yelled at when I automated it because I didn't ask for permission to work on a project.

I'm looking for other opportunities, but unfortunately I'm still in school and the number of people willing to hire a part-time software engineer is small.

i'm basically writing code 100% here, love it

Attached: 1534783305583.png (664x735, 71K)

t. somebody who became a shitty boss but used to care about this stuff like this